[TUTORIAL][GUIDE]Complete Guide to ROOTING, CWM & ROM(s) for LAVA ETAB XTRON+(RK3066)

Search This thread

ELITAZER

Nov 23, 2012
Ghaziabad
[TUTORIAL][GUIDE]Complete Guide to ROOTING, CWM & ROM(s) for LAVA ETAB XTRON+(RK3066)

Here is a short review first
| HARDWARE |:-: Talking about the Lava Xtron+’s hardware, the tablet boasts a dual core Cortex A9 CPU with each core clocked at 1.5Ghz and a Mali 400 Quad Core GPU.
Well, for the proof of graphics power, see the benchmarks by fonearena.com ,63.9 fps in nenamark, and the most important thing according to me, RK3066 IS THE BEST LAST GEN GAMING CHIPSET BETTER THAN TEGRA 3...I am a true geek and after searching for 20+ hours came to a conclusion that this is the best piece of android till 12-13k,(except Lumia 520 but it is windows)..

| BATTERY | :-:Coming on to battery, When I opened the battery stats page I find that Cell standby had consumed nearly 60% of the battery.WHAT!? Cell standby is the battery used by radio cells for mobile networks. This tablet DOES NOT have cell radio! The engineers working on this tablet didn't even bother to setup the OS properly and instead chose to simply download Android 4.2, flashed it in the tablet and have put it up on sale.
The Flipkart page reports the battery capacity to be 3,700mAh, which is probably wrong since the official specifications page on Lava’s website reports it to be only 3,000mAh. I can't be sure..:silly:

AIRPLANE MODE IS NOT COMPLETELY WORKING DUE TO DEFECTIVE DRIVERS (CELL RADIO DRIVERS ARE PRESENT IN THIS TAB SO IT SEARCHES FOR DRIVERS CONTINUOUSLY AND FUC*S BATTERY UP!:crying:) There is a fix in the post

| SCREEN |:-:The front of the Lava Xtron+ holds a 7-inch sharp IPS LCD display having a resolution of 1024 x 600. It’s a bright screen and with a pixel density of 170 PPI, it is pretty sharp too. The best part about the display is that, despite being an LCD screen, it’s not a battery consuming monster. I always found its battery usage to be lower than processes. The screen is prone to scratches though and is highly reflective.

We can enable the biggest advantage of PC gaming in android now, i.e 4xMSAA in deveoper settings, makes gaming experience even better than tegra 3

Before starting i would say that i am not responsible if any guides here bricks your device ( it should not happen at all if u follow all steps properly as the chances of permanent brick of rk3066 is very slim but boot loop is a possibility) I made this thread to collect everything I've done in one place. This should make everything very straightforward and basically most probably n00b-proof.

| ROOTING | :-:

Pre Requisites-Working drivers (if not then no problem), OEM USB Cable, LAVA ETAB XTRON+, 2 windows apps and PATIENCE
{Screen shots of important steps is in the attachements}

(i) For Drivers download and install moborobo
HTML:
http://download.moborobo.com/download/Client/Moborobo(Moborobo_En_official).exe

(ii) In tablet go to in Settings >developers options and turn it on and enable USB Debugging & before connecting it to your PC go into the tab's
settings again and click on storage.In it you will find 3 dots in top right hand corner.> USB computer connection >Enable Mass storage

Note: DO "NOT" TURN USB STORAGE "ON".(When Connected to PC)
Note: Remove your external SD card before rooting.

(iii) Connect it to your PC and click on refresh and install/find drivers and it will download and install them..(there might be a security warning
about force install) Now, it may not recognize the model no, IMEI and other things and say that the device is JB7+ but the only thing you
should look for to make sure it is the right device is the total size and usage of internal Memory and NAND Flash..

(iii) Now drivers are securely installed and the tab is connected in the right way (there is no OEM (LAVA) drivers anywhere)
Download the zdm (Chinese software) in the attachments (For Every Step first see the screenshot)

Note:IT MAY INSTALL SOME USELESS SOFTWARE ON UR PC AND TAB , BUT IT CAN BE UNINSTALLED.

(iii)) When it detects the there will be something written like this in the bottom right corner :??ROOT : ONE or something like that (not in screen
shots as the tab is already rooted :() but it must be in green colour.This is the confirmation that the device can be rooted.

(iv) Now click on the Root Button in left hand side

(v) Click twice on green (thingy) first where it says ROOT then again for the confirmation popup (says something else but in green box)

(vi) Rooting Process has begun and the tab will restart (my PC is quite fast so it was almost instantly restarted and the Super SU was flashed it may or may not take 2-3 mins)

Note:IT WILL INSTALL SUPERUSER , WHICH IS OUTDATED BUT BEFORE DOWNLOADING OTHER SUPERUSER APP , USE THE ONE PRE-INSTALLED TO UPDATE SU BINARY.

DEVICE IS ROOTED WOOT! WOOT! you can also check by using Titanium Backup or root checker.

Mod Edit: Rooting method also described by Mohd.Anas here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48776299

How to fix battery:-:

Get root explorer open system/app and rename phone .apk and telephonesomething.apk to phone.bak and telephonysomething.bak, you are good to go..;)

Also, you should change the WiFi scanning interval to 500 I.e 5 min as you really just require one scan when connecting to a known network..change the wifi supplicant scan interval to 500 build.prop

| CLOCKWORKMOD CUSTOM RECOVERY (GENERIC RK3066) 6.0.3.1|:-:

There are 2 methods one is tested by me(both are the same recovery created by the famous user "fun" at androtab.info), it works on our tab because when I opened the kernel.img with a hex editor (like Neo Hex Editor) the first line started with "KRNL" so I have a dedicated kernel in the kernel partition and I can just use the generic CWM. You can also follow this procedure just to be sure..make a online nandroid backup find kernel.img and open it up in pc in hex editor..

(A)METHOD TESTED BY ME

(i) Firstly you have to get the arctools apk,either by registering at their forum..
HTML:
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/arctools-application/clockworkmod-cwm-recovery-easy-install-on-rk3066-and-rk3188-devices/

(ii) Click on download and select RK3066 CWM fun androtabinfo 6.0.3.1, there is only one option like that so it may or may not be in order.

(iii) Afer downloading click on install apps give i superuser permission and Voila! CWM.

(iii) You should also see the log right in the middle of the apps to verify that the flash and push thingy worked correctly with no errors

(iii) Select Reboot to recovery or Turn the tab off and press power button+vol up and the recovery should open

YEAH! YOU NOW HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OF YOUR TAB

(B)METHOD NOT TESTED BY ME

HTML:
http://androtab.info/clockworkmod/rockchip/

(i) DOWNLOAD RK30GENERIC_CWM.zip from
HTML:

(ii) Here are the different ways to flash this zip file
HTML:
http://androtab.info/clockworkmod/rockchip/install/

|CUSTOM ROM(s)|:-:

There is only one ROM which is worth flashing and even that might be slightly buggy..
Well, I don't recommend to flash a custom ROM here as they may have bugs like Wifi still if you want the following features

Auto Install Feature: This allows you to install apk's automatically on first boot, if you have the apk files located in a folder named autoinstall on your external SD card.
HTML:
http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8910-Auto-APK-Install-Feature

Rooted with SuperSU
Debloated of all Lava bloatware
Google Play Store tweaks added to improve availability of apps
Init.d support
Busybox support
English language default (all other languages are still supported)
Boot screens by Tattman65
Flash Tool by Finless
Reboot app by Petrus

Here is Lava Xtron+ RileyROM 1.1
HTML:
http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?10688-Lava-Xtron-RileyROM-1-1

Complete flashing procedure in extreme detail is in the ROM zip file (it is a PDF file named first time user guide , very helpful)..Personally I have not flashed the ROM as I don't think it is worth the hassle and possibility of no Wifi...

:DPLEASE CLICK ON THANKS IF I HELPED YOU, IT REALLY MOTIVATES ME!:highfive:

Attachments

• Screenshots.rar
    1.2 MB · Views: 727
  • zds_setup_4.0.0.1137_.zip
    10 MB · Views: 1,805
Last edited:

ELITAZER

Nov 23, 2012
Ghaziabad
Ext4 support

Can somebody tell me if ext4 is supported or not, when i try link2 sd it says not supported but I am pretty sure that the system partition itself is Ext 4, (I'm the one who made the guide)

Reactions: ukstillalive

ELITAZER

Nov 23, 2012
Ghaziabad
Try ext3. It will be supported.

Well, I have tried it there are some problem in link2sd, but according to an nandroid the system and data are ext4 , I have set up everything in ext2 and would hate to do it all over again, is there a way to verify support of ext 3 or 4 acc to wiki, kernel above 2.6 support ext4 and the kernel here is 3.0... One more ting, when I tilt the tab, I think that something heavy is moving around inside slightly, probably battery should I ask for a replacement? I have 4-5 days remaining I bought from flipkart, I do have a complete SD and nandroid backup..

EDIT: in d/tracing events ext4 there is a file called enable and the value inside is zero should I change it to 1
I think I found out the culprit, the first partiton that I tried was ext2 so link2d created a script for that..now, when I try to use ext3 or 4 ..it still tries to use that same script..so I willl delete the script then try again...

Last edited:

ELITAZER

Nov 23, 2012
Ghaziabad

DEVICE IS ROOTED WOOT! WOOT! you can also check by using Titanium Backup or root checker.

Mod Edit: Rooting method also described by Mohd.Anas here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48776299

Get root explorer open system/app and rename phone .apk and telephonesomething.apk to phone.bak and telephonysomething.bak, you are good to go..;)

There are 2 methods one is tested by me(both are the same recovery created by the famous user "fun" at androtab.info), it works on our tab because when I opened the kernel.img with a hex editor (like Neo Hex Editor) the first line started with "KRNL" so I have a dedicated kernel in the kernel partition and I can just use the generic CWM. You can also follow this procedure just to be sure..make a online nandroid backup find kernel.img and open it up in pc in hex editor..

(A)METHOD TESTED BY ME

..../QUOTE]

Bro how to stop the battery draining in stand by due to deffective drivers as u say . I cant find the solution in this thread

nitinchamp

Aug 30, 2012
Delhi
www.mediastaan.com

(A)METHOD TESTED BY ME

..../QUOTE]

you can also change wifi_suppliant_scan interval to like 150 or so, the default value is very less "20" :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: ELITAZER

ELITAZER

Nov 23, 2012
Ghaziabad
you can also change wifi_suppliant_scan interval to like 150 or so, the default value is very less "20" :good:
Alright I know this is a stupid question but..Does it continue to scan when it is connected to a WiFi network..I have also disabled the network norification and enable WiFi optimization...and thanks for the tip..ideally you should only turn scanning on when you want to connect

Edit: added your tip to guide will clean it up when I will use pc

Last edited:

nitinchamp

Aug 30, 2012
Delhi
www.mediastaan.com
Alright I know this is a stupid question but..Does it continue to scan when it is connected to a WiFi network..I have also disabled the network norification and enable WiFi optimization...and thanks for the tip..ideally you should only turn scanning on when you want to connect

Edit: added your tip to guide will clean it up when I will use pc

it still does scan for networks to see what other networks are present

there was also another method to root this tablet which i found back in december mentioned here

Last edited:

ukstillalive

May 1, 2013
ALLAHABAD , NEW DELHI
help

bro i have installed riley rom for lava xtron + tab but now i came to know that wi fi hotspot is a major bug for this rom and the rom is actually the copy of stock rom so i want to flash the stock rom again but cant ,,, so plz help me i have the stock rom zip file , now what to do ?/
plz reply :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

ELITAZER

Nov 23, 2012
Ghaziabad
bro i have installed riley rom for lava xtron + tab but now i came to know that wi fi hotspot is a major bug for this rom and the rom is actually the copy of stock rom so i want to flash the stock rom again but cant ,,, so plz help me i have the stock rom zip file , now what to do ?/
plz reply :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Well you are familiar with cwm or do you even have it installed, if you do then just go to install zip from sd card and select the zip file...secondly if you have a cwm nandroid backup (recommended) just go to backup and restore select resotre or restore from externel sd and then select the date of the required backup file then click restore..If you do have a cwm nandroid backup then it MUST work...if you don't even have the recovery then, ist step is to install it through THE guide then, try to do the ist (not recommended) option...

ukstillalive

May 1, 2013
ALLAHABAD , NEW DELHI
CM10 for Lava Xtron +

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/41777-romcyanogen-10-for-rk3066-wip/
Check this thread is it possible to flash this on lava xtron + . Can any1 reply plz

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

I have installed cwm in many devices before but first time in my tab and bro i dont hqlave a nandroid back of my stock rom

ELITAZER

Nov 23, 2012
Ghaziabad
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/41777-romcyanogen-10-for-rk3066-wip/
Check this thread is it possible to flash this on lava xtron + . Can any1 reply plz

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

I have installed cwm in many devices before but first time in my tab and bro i dont hqlave a nandroid back of my stock rom
Then just take a backup of the ROM you currently have installed (I think Riley) and if the CM doesnt work out, revert back easily..:good: Post your results here

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here is a short review first
    | HARDWARE |:-: Talking about the Lava Xtron+’s hardware, the tablet boasts a dual core Cortex A9 CPU with each core clocked at 1.5Ghz and a Mali 400 Quad Core GPU.
    Well, for the proof of graphics power, see the benchmarks by fonearena.com ,63.9 fps in nenamark, and the most important thing according to me, RK3066 IS THE BEST LAST GEN GAMING CHIPSET BETTER THAN TEGRA 3...I am a true geek and after searching for 20+ hours came to a conclusion that this is the best piece of android till 12-13k,(except Lumia 520 but it is windows)..

| BATTERY | :-:Coming on to battery, When I opened the battery stats page I find that Cell standby had consumed nearly 60% of the battery.WHAT!? Cell standby is the battery used by radio cells for mobile networks. This tablet DOES NOT have cell radio! The engineers working on this tablet didn't even bother to setup the OS properly and instead chose to simply download Android 4.2, flashed it in the tablet and have put it up on sale.
    The Flipkart page reports the battery capacity to be 3,700mAh, which is probably wrong since the official specifications page on Lava’s website reports it to be only 3,000mAh. I can't be sure..:silly:

AIRPLANE MODE IS NOT COMPLETELY WORKING DUE TO DEFECTIVE DRIVERS (CELL RADIO DRIVERS ARE PRESENT IN THIS TAB SO IT SEARCHES FOR DRIVERS CONTINUOUSLY AND FUC*S BATTERY UP!:crying:) There is a fix in the post

| SCREEN |:-:The front of the Lava Xtron+ holds a 7-inch sharp IPS LCD display having a resolution of 1024 x 600. It’s a bright screen and with a pixel density of 170 PPI, it is pretty sharp too. The best part about the display is that, despite being an LCD screen, it’s not a battery consuming monster. I always found its battery usage to be lower than processes. The screen is prone to scratches though and is highly reflective.

We can enable the biggest advantage of PC gaming in android now, i.e 4xMSAA in deveoper settings, makes gaming experience even better than tegra 3

Before starting i would say that i am not responsible if any guides here bricks your device ( it should not happen at all if u follow all steps properly as the chances of permanent brick of rk3066 is very slim but boot loop is a possibility) I made this thread to collect everything I've done in one place. This should make everything very straightforward and basically most probably n00b-proof.

| ROOTING | :-:

Pre Requisites-Working drivers (if not then no problem), OEM USB Cable, LAVA ETAB XTRON+, 2 windows apps and PATIENCE
    {Screen shots of important steps is in the attachements}

(i) For Drivers download and install moborobo
    HTML:
    http://download.moborobo.com/download/Client/Moborobo(Moborobo_En_official).exe

(ii) In tablet go to in Settings >developers options and turn it on and enable USB Debugging & before connecting it to your PC go into the tab's
    settings again and click on storage.In it you will find 3 dots in top right hand corner.> USB computer connection >Enable Mass storage

Note: DO "NOT" TURN USB STORAGE "ON".(When Connected to PC)
    Note: Remove your external SD card before rooting.

(iii) Connect it to your PC and click on refresh and install/find drivers and it will download and install them..(there might be a security warning
    about force install) Now, it may not recognize the model no, IMEI and other things and say that the device is JB7+ but the only thing you
    should look for to make sure it is the right device is the total size and usage of internal Memory and NAND Flash..

(iii) Now drivers are securely installed and the tab is connected in the right way (there is no OEM (LAVA) drivers anywhere)
    Download the zdm (Chinese software) in the attachments (For Every Step first see the screenshot)

Note:IT MAY INSTALL SOME USELESS SOFTWARE ON UR PC AND TAB , BUT IT CAN BE UNINSTALLED.

(iii)) When it detects the there will be something written like this in the bottom right corner :??ROOT : ONE or something like that (not in screen
    shots as the tab is already rooted :() but it must be in green colour.This is the confirmation that the device can be rooted.

(iv) Now click on the Root Button in left hand side

(v) Click twice on green (thingy) first where it says ROOT then again for the confirmation popup (says something else but in green box)

(vi) Rooting Process has begun and the tab will restart (my PC is quite fast so it was almost instantly restarted and the Super SU was flashed it may or may not take 2-3 mins)

Note:IT WILL INSTALL SUPERUSER , WHICH IS OUTDATED BUT BEFORE DOWNLOADING OTHER SUPERUSER APP , USE THE ONE PRE-INSTALLED TO UPDATE SU BINARY.

Also, you should change the WiFi scanning interval to 500 I.e 5 min as you really just require one scan when connecting to a known network..change the wifi supplicant scan interval to 500 build.prop

(A)METHOD TESTED BY ME

(i) Firstly you have to get the arctools apk,either by registering at their forum..
    HTML:
    http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/arctools-application/clockworkmod-cwm-recovery-easy-install-on-rk3066-and-rk3188-devices/

(ii) Click on download and select RK3066 CWM fun androtabinfo 6.0.3.1, there is only one option like that so it may or may not be in order.

(iii) Afer downloading click on install apps give i superuser permission and Voila! CWM.

(iii) You should also see the log right in the middle of the apps to verify that the flash and push thingy worked correctly with no errors

(iii) Select Reboot to recovery or Turn the tab off and press power button+vol up and the recovery should open

YEAH! YOU NOW HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OF YOUR TAB

(B)METHOD NOT TESTED BY ME

HTML:

(i) DOWNLOAD RK30GENERIC_CWM.zip from
    HTML:

(ii) Here are the different ways to flash this zip file
    HTML:
    http://androtab.info/clockworkmod/rockchip/install/

|CUSTOM ROM(s)|:-:

There is only one ROM which is worth flashing and even that might be slightly buggy..
    Well, I don't recommend to flash a custom ROM here as they may have bugs like Wifi still if you want the following features

Auto Install Feature: This allows you to install apk's automatically on first boot, if you have the apk files located in a folder named autoinstall on your external SD card.
    HTML:
    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8910-Auto-APK-Install-Feature

Rooted with SuperSU
    Debloated of all Lava bloatware
    Google Play Store tweaks added to improve availability of apps
    Init.d support
    Busybox support
    English language default (all other languages are still supported)
    Boot screens by Tattman65
    Flash Tool by Finless
    Reboot app by Petrus

Here is Lava Xtron+ RileyROM 1.1
    HTML:
    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?10688-Lava-Xtron-RileyROM-1-1

Complete flashing procedure in extreme detail is in the ROM zip file (it is a PDF file named first time user guide , very helpful)..Personally I have not flashed the ROM as I don't think it is worth the hassle and possibility of no Wifi...

:DPLEASE CLICK ON THANKS IF I HELPED YOU, IT REALLY MOTIVATES ME!:highfive:
    Ext4 support

Can somebody tell me if ext4 is supported or not, when i try link2 sd it says not supported but I am pretty sure that the system partition itself is Ext 4, (I'm the one who made the guide)

Well, I have tried it there are some problem in link2sd, but according to an nandroid the system and data are ext4 , I have set up everything in ext2 and would hate to do it all over again, is there a way to verify support of ext 3 or 4 acc to wiki, kernel above 2.6 support ext4 and the kernel here is 3.0... One more ting, when I tilt the tab, I think that something heavy is moving around inside slightly, probably battery should I ask for a replacement? I have 4-5 days remaining I bought from flipkart, I do have a complete SD and nandroid backup..

EDIT: in d/tracing events ext4 there is a file called enable and the value inside is zero should I change it to 1
    I think I found out the culprit, the first partiton that I tried was ext2 so link2d created a script for that..now, when I try to use ext3 or 4 ..it still tries to use that same script..so I willl delete the script then try again...
    Successfully Rooted..! Sorry for the delay..!