How To Root An Acer Iconia A500

Search This thread

Slowie911

Jul 17, 2009
Warrington
Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277

Attachments

• GingerBreak-v1.20.apk
    296.8 KB · Views: 168,084
Last edited:

lou0611

Sep 24, 2008
Yardley
Acer Iconia A500 Rooted

Attachments

• Acer_Iconia_A500_Root.jpg
    Acer_Iconia_A500_Root.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 37,223
Reactions: amfall and smaury

kafaak

Aug 10, 2010
Fantastic job! I got my Iconia A500 rooted.
I could run the file without having to transfer from PC.

VitaZora

Feb 19, 2011
Beautiful!
Easy, easy, easy!
Thanks to the devs for making this happen so soon.
Loving my Acer A500 even more.
(Eee transformer? *yawn*)

saeba

Apr 14, 2006
Atlanta
Anyone working on building a cifs.ko? I'd love to be able to use cifsmanager to mount Windows drives and access them from any Android application (comic reader, movie player, etc.)??

TXEvo

Jun 15, 2010
thats fantastic! great job guys! i will still be returning for asus though, lol. ips ftw

Good luck with that, and the IPS on the transformer is not that great, kind of choppy for games. People are expecting an iPad2 style ips and it is NOT. The refresh rate is too low, the color is just a tad crisper then the Acer. Barely noticeable to the eye. Friend got his and sold it on ebay for the Acer, the USB was more important then the ips, and ips is great for graphic designers but gamers, not so much. Why do you think in every review people complained about choppy video... It because it is a cheap ips with a cheap refresh rate. Hence the price. Just my $0.02. Glad the Iconia got some love with their own section. It will be about June before you get one.

mantrajt

May 3, 2009
Thanks....I´m going to try later and let you know how it worked!!!!

Let´s make this tablet work better!!!!

(waiting for Honeycomb update....)

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
freaking awesome!

so simple to root. downloaded from the tab and installed from it. no pc needed! awesome. installing rom manager now but no clockworkmod for this yet... only 1 acer device is listed... any brave people willing to try it?.. jejeje

Franwella

Mar 17, 2009
Melbourne
Is that it?
Really?
Those five steps.
No preparation, nothing else needed.
Just turn on my device, follow those five steps and it's done.
Why do I feel like there's something I am missing here?
If it's five steps to root then I am dead impressed!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
    2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
    3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
    4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
    5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277
    To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
    Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.
    Acer Iconia A500 Rooted
    How to Root Acer Iconia A500

How to Root Acer Iconia A500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9srwjuAF6w
    I have to go cut the grass before I start playing with my A5 again. Can you guys tell the benefits of rooting so far? another forum mentioned deleting bloatware and freezing apps that hog resources/battery life.

From http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

What Does Root Give Me?

1. Full control over your system
    2. Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:
    o Themes
    o Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
    o Recovery image
    o Bootloader
    o Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
    o Boot images
    o Add linux binaries
    3. Run special apps that need more control over the system
    o SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
    o Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
    o Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
    <there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
    4. Backup your system
    o You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to "upgrade" you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
    5. Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
    6. Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
    7. Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)