[HARDWARE FAULT] WiFi antenna fault. HTC One X [22.04.2013]

Search This thread

pdagenius

Nov 4, 2006
hi.

my first post so be gentle :p

over last couple of months i have been looking to upgrade to the one x but have been put off by problems in earlier batch builds which seem to be poping up recently on a few forums.....so i have untill now held off buying one..

anyway noticed this thread which has now found a new fault and wanted to ask is it confined to earlier batches? as the batch currently selling is ht25 i think and wanted to ask you guys is the creaking and other smaller problems only confined to ealier batches or should i try a june ht26 build?

i really want the phone :( after seeing it in store demo..

also i see that another site has news htc has released a fix for the wifi problems but only on the AT&T version...is this the fix someone mentioned earlier in the thread that would drain the battery even more by bumping up the antenna gain?

since im new i cant do a link so sorry :( its at www . gsmarena . com

oh and lastly how are you finding the warranty service? do they collect the phone from you or do you post it and whats general turn around? 1-2 weeks or longer? (im in the - midlands - UK)

many thanks for any help given :)

R2H

My hox is in repair in uk now. Htc say turnaround is 5 working days. They will organise UPS courier to pickup and return the phone. You can track the progress on the HTC website.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Rhino-2-Horny

mickfitz

Oct 3, 2011
I wish I didn't open this thread up.
Ignorance was bliss but now I must accept the obvious.
Damn it. Phone has this issue. Sh23

KenMoo

Jun 8, 2012
I am experiencing the same problem and the phone is currently in the local distributor service centre. I did emailed them twice and attached some detailed pictures with videos demonstrating the problem. Below is one the bizarre replies I obtained

Dear ******,

Thank you for contacting HTC!

Regarding your inquiry about HTC One X issue, we would like to provide you with following advice and solution as below:
We do apologize for any inconvenience that may cause you. We deeply regret if this issue has caused you any dissatisfaction with your phone or with HTC, and we hope that it will not detract from your overall use and enjoyment of the One X.

It is inevitable that signal strength will weaken a little when the antenna is covered in its entirety by a palm or fingers. We test our phones extensively to ensure that under normal circumstances the reception strength performance will be more than sufficient for the operation of the phone. Some customers have raised concerns with One X's signal strength and we are investigating whether the problems described are within normal operating parameters.

There are many ways to avoid getting a weak signal
1.Try adjusting the position of the phone, sometimes just repositioning the phone in your hand will boost the signal a little.
2.Try allowing for a little more space between the phone and your palm.
3.Try moving to a location with more signal strength. Remember that certain areas may have better cellular/mobile reception than others.

Meanwhile,thank you for your continuous support of our products and services.
Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
We look forward to be of service to you again.

They refused to a acknowledged on the design fault... I am an avid reader (been following this thread for a week) and the problem I had with my HOX prompted me to register!!

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
I am experiencing the same problem and the phone is currently in the local distributor service centre. I did emailed them twice and attached some detailed pictures with videos demonstrating the problem. Below is one the bizarre replies I obtained

Dear ******,

Thank you for contacting HTC!

Regarding your inquiry about HTC One X issue, we would like to provide you with following advice and solution as below:
We do apologize for any inconvenience that may cause you. We deeply regret if this issue has caused you any dissatisfaction with your phone or with HTC, and we hope that it will not detract from your overall use and enjoyment of the One X.

It is inevitable that signal strength will weaken a little when the antenna is covered in its entirety by a palm or fingers. We test our phones extensively to ensure that under normal circumstances the reception strength performance will be more than sufficient for the operation of the phone. Some customers have raised concerns with One X's signal strength and we are investigating whether the problems described are within normal operating parameters.

There are many ways to avoid getting a weak signal
1.Try adjusting the position of the phone, sometimes just repositioning the phone in your hand will boost the signal a little.
2.Try allowing for a little more space between the phone and your palm.
3.Try moving to a location with more signal strength. Remember that certain areas may have better cellular/mobile reception than others.

Meanwhile,thank you for your continuous support of our products and services.
Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
We look forward to be of service to you again.

They refused to a acknowledged on the design fault... I am an avid reader (been following this thread for a week) and the problem I had with my HOX prompted me to register!!

Thanks for joining, they are many people just reading this thread, we need them to all join up and share their stories with us, let us know what their model numbers are and if they manage to fix the issue.

An awful lot of these phones must be getting returned for this same issue all at the same time, they can't just fob everyone off. It's so widespread I wonder if eventually they will just recall the lot for repair/replacement.

Let us know how you get on with the repair centre. Mine is there too :(

Send from my old trusty Desire, untill I get my poorly One X back.

Reactions: wph

KenMoo

Jun 8, 2012
My HOX Phone Model is SH23TW and I've seen three users (SH23 as well) around me with the same issues as mine.

The way they downplay the issue is appalling and I tried contacting the hotline but as expected, it was a scripted operator and nothing much can be done...

Funny how I reverted back to the HTC desire as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: bigoliver

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
Let's all get on twitter, facebook, g+, anywhere and share this link.

If HTC don't fix this very soon our members are sure to start contacting, the media, technology websites, trading standards, watch dog and protesting to get ourselves heard.
Plz HTC, sort it out.

ToddeSwe

Dec 26, 2007
Alvesta
Let's all get on twitter, facebook, g+, anywhere and share this link.

If HTC don't fix this very soon our members are sure to start contacting, the media, technology websites, trading standards, watch dog and protesting to get ourselves heard.
Plz HTC, sort it out.

I told you so, I don't think they are doing anything unless they don't have to.
Contact the press, write on facebook, twitter, all available channels.
Much money are at stake, so don't believe they are admitting anything until our case hits the fan. :)

Skickat från min HTC One X via Tapatalk 2

Scarrrr

Jun 7, 2012
Does this wi-fi antenna also influences the 3G signal?

A friend of mine got his HOX this week. No Wi-fi problems, but really bad 3G connection, slow speed etc.

Is this the same antenna?

btw;

I spread the word about this topic. Through social media, other fora, connected to HTC on FB and via Phone...

dave_heath

Jun 6, 2012
Reading
  • Spoke to O2 phone customer services - Who have agreed (after lots of haggling and "speaking to my manager") a "one time only issue" until HTC confirm it is a problem to swap me out a new handset (doorstop swap) on Monday during office hours at work!
So well done O2. Lets hope the new phone doesn't have the same troubles.

So I got a text message this morning from DPD (UK delivery company) who said they would be delivering today! Quick run into the office and a coffee later, I now have a s/n: HT257W...

On the discussion about cases, I did have my phone in a leather flip case for a long time and then swapped to a silicone one. I didn't have problems till after I changed cases. Is it possible that the more rigid case prevented twisting and therefore loose connections?

/2cents

tasos12

Aug 31, 2011
Patras
Reading all this I am glad I decided to wait a bit longer until my contract ends (which is September-October)to upgrade to HOX.....
Maybe I will get lucky enough and this problem will be fixed in the batches produced by that time.
For now I will keep trusting my good old Desire S.....

mattuk

Jun 6, 2009
Bury
So I got a text message this morning from DPD (UK delivery company) who said they would be delivering today! Quick run into the office and a coffee later, I now have a s/n: HT257W...

On the discussion about cases, I did have my phone in a leather flip case for a long time and then swapped to a silicone one. I didn't have problems till after I changed cases. Is it possible that the more rigid case prevented twisting and therefore loose connections?

/2cents

As a means to try and see if silicone cases cause an issue ill be leaving mine case free until I get an official HTC case.

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk

/2cents

Congrats mate, glad to know you get it sorted, lets hope your phone is from a fixed batch.
Cheers for keeping us informed

Scarrrr

Jun 7, 2012
As a means to try and see if silicone cases cause an issue ill be leaving mine case free until I get an official HTC case.

I never used a case and still have the problem.

The only way to test this is to NOT use the device until you have a hard case.

Using no case at all -> HW issue
Using a silicon case -> HW issue
Using a hardcase and then switching to silicon case -> HW issue

We should have someone who used a hardcase from the beginning and still uses it, to check whether this can prevent the issue from happening, but to be honest i doubt it makes a difference. Plus, using a case is not a valid option for me.. it would be like iPhone and their deathgrip solution.

combat goofwing

Mar 3, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I take it I don't have the issuebas when I press the back between the camera and volume button my wifi signal drops off as though I'm blocking the sensor

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
yeah i thought i was lucky and didn't have this problem, until i tried playing some music to my bt headset today, and it starts stuttering if i even just turn my head slightly away from the phone :mad:

i had postponed my previous repair ticket for a couple of weeks for a dead pixel and misaligned speaker holes. add on the bluetooth and wifi issue (i can easily replicate the wifi issue too, although signal isn't that bad currently) and thats 4 issues, on my 6th (yes 6th) one x!!!!!!!

mravant

Nov 14, 2011
United Kingdom
I don't think this has anything to do with cases put on the phone as mine has never had a case on it from day one and still 3 weeks later developed the fault.

dave_heath

Jun 6, 2012
Reading
I don't think this has anything to do with cases put on the phone as mine has never had a case on it from day one and still 3 weeks later developed the fault.

I'm not suggesting the case causes it, I am suggesting that a hard case could prevent it.

I'm going back to the leather flip case I started with and hope I don't get this fault again. It makes a large phone even bigger and bulkier but seems to protect it more.

Joshhudsy

Jun 7, 2010
HTC just keep telling me it is just my phone and they have no reports of others having problems! They lie! :mad:

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Joshhudsy

Jun 7, 2010
I was having the issue on my One X so decided to do the test and it proved that signal did increase when squeezed. HT23 serial, white.

I then decided to squeeze my phone quite hard in the corner, which has seemed to fix my issue for now!

I will let you know if the problem repeats itself!

After a day the phone has lost WiFi signal again, I can easily fix it by pressing down in the top right hand corner again but this shows how the connectors disconnect very easily, I think it disconnected when I pressed the volume up button.

I wish there was a simple solution! Looks like I'm sending this in for repair! :mad:

mravant

Nov 14, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm not suggesting the case causes it, I am suggesting that a hard case could prevent it.

I'm going back to the leather flip case I started with and hope I don't get this fault again. It makes a large phone even bigger and bulkier but seems to protect it more.

Sorry I was not reffering to your comment. :)

It was suggested earlier in the thread that phone cases may have something to do with the phone heating up more and casuing the issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome,

There is a number of threads here about general WiFi problems on the HTC One X (HOX)
    However, this thread is specifically for the confirmed (by the community & unfortunately me) (and finally HTC since 18.06.2012) hardware fault of a loose connection on the WiFi antenna.

If you are suffering from a really bad WiFi or Bluetooth connection and think you may have this hardware fault, there is a simple test you can do. Please only do this test if you are sure you could have the problem, PillipL explains why here

Update 30.08.2012 After a member reported he damaged his phone by repeatedly doing the squeeze test, I want to state again that you should ONLY squeeze if you are sure you could have the fault, please do this as a last resort and only squeeze the phone gently. I think a mobile phone should with stand a gentle squeeze and if it does damage the antenna I am sure it was only going to be a matter of time before you would have developed the fault anyway. Do this test your own risk! To read the report of the squeeze test damaging a phone click here

The squeeze test

Read this whole post carefully before beginning, then gently squeeze the side back of your phone, between the camera lens and the volume rocker. If your WiFi signal strength improves only to drop back down when you stop squeezing, then you have this seemingly common fault.

If your WiFi doesnt improve or gets worse whilst squeezing, this is normal and you don't have this fault. Please don't keep repeating this test as it is commonly accepted that this will accelerate the issue.

Important Update (17.07.2012) We now have the full official HTC test and fix procedures with pictures, see here and also in pdf (thanks to lawrence750), click here to download. Important Update 30.08.2012 - We now have the full parts list needed to carry out the official repair, see HERE

Video demonstrations of the issue

Thanks to our members everywhere, we have 13 excellent videos demonstrating the issue.

Video 2 - Video 3 - Video 4 - Video 5 - Video 6 - Video 7 - Video 8 - Video 9 - Video 10 - Video 11 - Video 12 - Video 13 (o2 repair FAIL!)

What to do now?

Ok, so if you don't have the fault, that is good news and I hope you can fix your different problem with a software update or router reset. Search this forum for some of the other wifi threads as this one is not for you.

If you do have the fault, I recommend you declare your phone DOA (Dead On Arrival) and exchange your phone for another. In the UK, you can do this within 28 days of the date of the purchase (so I believe).

If you fall outside of the DOA exchange period, then send your phone back for repair and hope they fix the issue or replace the phone without too much delay.

If you have unlocked your phone and are worried that you may not be covered by the warranty, you have a few options.

Update 22.06.2012 Read Urban Strata's (Official HTC Rep) advice here

1. Re-lock your phone and make sure you are running your stock rom.

If unsure how to do this, follow this guide HERE or watch the video HERE

Then return your phone and hope that they don't notice/blame the issue on you unlocking your boot loader.

The Law (in NL)

Read Quistnix advice here

The Law (in UK)

This is obviously a manufacturer's fault and if you are based in the UK, the law is definitely on your side (see the quote from Citizens Advice Bureaux below)
    Citizens Advice Bureaux said:
    If you bought goods six months ago or less and there's something wrong with them, the trader should accept that there was something wrong at the time of sale. Unless it’s really obvious you caused the problem yourself, the trader should offer to put things right. In practice, this usually means repairing or replacing the goods. If the trader doesn't accept that there was something wrong with the goods when you bought them, they will have to prove this. (Source)
    I put the key points in BOLD :)

For further advice on your rights in the UK and sample letters, read this post here.

Returning your phone my guides

Want a repair, replacement or refund? Try my guide here.

Should you return to the seller or HTC? Guide here

How to package and post your HOX, guide here

2. Fix it yourself

If you are brave/crazy enough, you could try to fix it yourself and people have successfully managed this. I DO NOT recommend this, but if you want to do it anyhow, here is my guide based on the feedback in this thread.

Many people reading this thread have asked for a guide on fixing the WiFi issue themselves. If you do decide to go down this route, please take step by step photos and explain how you did it on this thread and I'm sure you'll get loads of thanks for it.

Guides and tips how to self repair this problem...

I have not taken my HOX apart, however, based on user guides, I would probably do it like this...
    (WARNING: This could seriously damage your phone, I do not recommend it and I'm not prepared to do it myself)

Before you start, read all the guides and PillipL post here

1. Remove the Sim and Sim-Tray
    2. Tape up the power and volume buttons, to save time fiddling with putting them back in afterwards.
    3. Out of the recommended methods to open your phone below, I would prefer to use my finger nail and or a guitar plectrum as I imagine this to be the best way to avoid scratches and damaging the case/screen. BE CAREFUL not to push the tool used too far inside the phone as this will cause damage.
    4 I would probably use a soldering iron to make a secure connection between the pins. I fear that just bending the pins up slightly might develop the same issue again later on.

HTC's official repair guide* - Guide 1* - Guide 2 - Guide 3 - Guide 4 - Guide 5 - Guide 6* - Guide 7* - Guide 8 - Guide 9 - Guide 10 - Guide 11* - Guide 12 - Guide 13 - Guide 14* Guide 15* - Guide 16 - Guide 17 - Guide 18 - Guide 19 - Guide 20 - Guide 21

(*Guides with pictures) (Latest guide (10.07.2012) 15* has many detailed pics, well worth a read)

If you do try to fix the antenna yourself, please leave us feedback.

Update 06.07,2012 Leaked details of the official fix here & picture here

Video guide - How to fix the antenna yourself

Big thanks to JikaxDev for this excellent video guide

Video Guide 2 - Video Guide 3 - Video Guide 4 - Funny, but, the guy who made the video is serious I think :) )

Member's recommended tools for opening your HOX

If you are brave enough to open your HOX, I have heard that the fix only takes around 15 mins (but, please don't rush) Here are some of the ways our members opened their HOX's...

*Using a guitar plectrum (not sure which size is best, I would try a few)
    *Using only your finger nail (assuming they are long/strong enough)
    *With an automobile spark plugs gauge sheet using the 9mm
    *Using a car dent puller!? (sticking it to the screen and just popping it out)
    *Using a Coke can top ( the aluminium bit that get thrown away, see Video Guide 3 )

I have not tried any of the above, but I will continue to update with the latest techniques as I hear about them.

Did you open your HOX a different way? We would love to hear from you

Temporary fix

A temporary fix first posted by Gibeon, is to
    Gibeon said:
    take a piece of paper, fold it 4 times and stick it on the back of your phone. Pop it in your case and there's your easy, dirty fix until HTC admits the problem.
    They are other versions of this fix floating around, using coins or tape and various other items stuck in a case to constantly compress the phone.
    I do not recommend this temporary fix, here's why, the fault is caused by the antenna pins getting squashed down, if you squash the phone further your phone may improve but over time will get even worse and the fix will require even more compression, ultimately the fix will stop working.

BE VOCAL, make sure HTC can hear you

You can contact HTC, on their (website here) (twitter page here) and (facebook page here)
    Linking back to this thread might help explain the problem. Also, it's probably worth sending this link with the description when returning the phone too.

Let us know here, what feedback you get from HTC.

Issues created by this problem

1. Poor to useless WIFI (obviously)
    2. Poor to useless Bluetooth (as this uses the same antenna as WIFI)
    3. Battery drain (as your phone will need to work harder to maintain a connection)
    4. You will probably rely on 3g data more often, so your phone bills may increase

Model/Serial Numbers

According to HTC's statement (18.06.2012) here.
    HTC's statement (18.06.2012) said:
    we have taken immediate steps to implement a solution in our production process to prevent this issue from happening in the future.
    Meaning all serial numbers before this solution was implemented could develop the infamous WiFi antenna fault.

To check your model number go to...
    Settings, About phone, Phone Identity. Alternatively, check the back of your phone's box.

Mine is a grey model, Serial Number HT23W*******.

For more infomation on what these serial numbers mean please read this helpful post here.

Possible causes

So far, (07.06.12) we are still unsure what the cause of this problem is, or how it can be avoided, however that has not stopped us speculating...

1. Poor QC allowing faulty devices to be shipped.
    2. Phone getting warm and misshaping the internal parts and/or more likely the uni-body preventing the pins connecting with the antenna. (Using a silicon case is one theory for causing overheating)
    3. Phone getting squashed in your pocket/bag/hand and the contacts getting bent downwards preventing a connection.
    4. PillipL has came up with IMO the most likely explanation for the issue below..
    PhillipL said:
    Two problems with the lugs I can see, the first is the polycarbonate case is giving slightly, and the lugs don't spring up to maintain the same contact pressure.

Second, anything depressing the back of the case (phone in pocket for example) is causing the lugs to bend down slightly, and as they are not springs they will not necessarily return back when the pressure is gone, hence testing for the problem could cause it. If the phone is kept in a pocket and the case is flexing even only slightly then the lug and contact pad might be moving against each other, even a tiny microscopic movement repeated for each step the owner takes would soon wear away the gold plating on the connections causing a less than stellar connection. (Source)
    More details about PhillipL's design flaw theory along with detailed pictures here.

In the MEDIA

This issue and thread appears in news articles all over the web, it was also the main feature on xdaTV (above)

Media links since this thread started (03.06.2012 - 17.06.2012)

XDA-Developers - Nexus Lab - Android Authority 11.06.12 - Android Police - Recombu - Android Guys - Nu.nl - Android Spin - Pocket Gamer - Reg Hardware - Android Authority 13.06.12 - Phones Review - 3g - Mobile Indian - Mobile Syrup - Device Magazine - IDG.se - WebmasterPoint - Social Barrel - Think Digit - Telegraaf - Tech2 - Money Control - IBN Live - Pocket Now - Yahoo News

Media links since HTC's statement acknowledging fault (18.06.2012 and onwards)

The Verve - TechCrunch - Android Police - Android Community - Nu.nl - Gadget Helpline - HTCPedia - Android Central - TechRadar - Phone Arena - Talk Android - Phones Review - cnet - Recombu - Device Magazine - The Inquisitr - NDTV - The Christian Post - TechDigest - Stuff - Stuff (Printed magazine)

Many users suffering from this issue are contacting the media and Watchdog. Watchdog is excellent at getting this kind of issue resolved. The more people that contact them the more likely they will investigate the issue, make sure you link back to this thread when reporting the issue to them.

BBC Watchdog link here

Note to media: This is a different issue to the grip of death, it is the other way round. You need to grip your phone in a certain place to get a signal. This fault is being referred to as, the "Reverse Death Grip" and "Grip of Life".

Media enquires, please email me ostones@gmail.com

Statements from HTC
    Recombu (12.06.2012) said:
    HTC is committed to delivering a high quality product and great experience for all of our customers. We investigate all reported issues and if a hardware or software change is found to improve a customer experience, it will be deployed to all applicable devices according to our standard, required processes. We apologise for any inconvenience customers have experienced and appreciate your patience as we work quickly to investigate this issue. (Source)
    Android Police (18.06.2012) said:
    After investigating isolated reports of WiFi connectivity issues in the HTC One X, we have identified a fix that strengthens the area of the phone around the WiFi antennae connection points. While many customers have not experienced any problems with signal strength, we have taken immediate steps to implement a solution in our production process to prevent this issue from happening in the future. HTC is committed to making sure every customer has a great experience and we apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused while we conducted a thorough investigation. (Source)

Repair horror stories

Below is a list of members who have had experiences with HTC and/or the companies they bought the phones off, this section is intended to name and shame in the hope that these companies will improve customer services in the future, it is also intended to draw attention to the individual cases.

I would like to make clear that we have had many success stories reported too and so far no one who has had the official fix implemented has complained the fault reoccurred. Personally I recommend that members suffering this WiFi fault return the phone to the seller and ask for a Repair, Replacement or Refund under the Sale of Goods Act (UK) (If within 6 months since purchase).

bigoliver(now resolved) - Zulake(now resolved) - Henkjoost(ongoing & being charged 315.00 Euro's!! :eek: ) - wman2(now resolved) - gloscherrybomb (ongoing, repair centre broke his screen and now want to charge him £178) - PurpleRob (HTC's delivery company lost his 3 week old phone when returning it with this wifi issue, now they say they will only replace it with a referb made up in a repair centre) - dave@dkvinyls (Phone came back worse than before it was "repaired" currently (26th July 12) without a working phone for over 26 days, now they want him to send it back for repair again, HTC refusing to replace) - dalecook (is being given the run around between HTC and Dial-A-Phone Shame on them 24.08.2012)

If you wish to be added to this list please write your own horror story in a post and kindly PM me the link, lets see if you can beat my story? (Please add evidence if possible ie screen shots, scanned letters, copies of emails etc)

Finally

Please let us know if you suffer from this loose antenna issue, and if you manage to get it solved.

Together we are stronger, cheers,

Oliver

P.S. If this thread has helped you, please click the thanks button and/or rate the thread.

Change Log
    05.06.2012 - 06.06.2012 - 07.06.2012 - 08.06.2012 - 09.06.2012 - 10.06.2012 - 11.06.2012 - 12-13.06.2012 - 14-15.06.2012 - 18.06.2012 09.07.2012 - 25.08.2012 - 30.08.2012 - 22.04.2013

16gjyf.png
    Hi guys,

I work for HTC (see my profile). If you're experiencing this, kindly please PM me so we can analyze it. Our engineering teams in Taiwan have looked into it and have been unable to replicate it or determine a root cause, so your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Hi

Just a few things I've not seen mentioned.

First of all in testing for this problem you may be helping to create it if you started out without any issue. The problem is the lugs that press against the antenna foil are not springs. If you depress them by testing, you will push the lug down, but it will not recover completely as a spring would, this causes a higher resistance connection.

I think HTCs design flaw is the lugs, they should have been springs to keep an even pressure applied and give or take with the back cover, but this would make assembly difficult with the way the front has to be partly slipped into place as springs would catch and might miss their target completely.

Two problems with the lugs I can see, the first is the polycarbonate case is giving slightly, and the lugs don't spring up to maintain the same contact pressure.

Second, anything depressing the back of the case (phone in pocket for example) is causing the lugs to bend down slightly, and as they are not springs they will not necessarily return back when the pressure is gone, hence testing for the problem could cause it. If the phone is kept in a pocket and the case is flexing even only slightly then the lug and contact pad might be moving against each other, even a tiny microscopic movement repeated for each step the owner takes would soon wear away the gold plating on the connections causing a less than stellar connection.

As we are talking about radio frequencies in the GHz range, it doesn't take much to make the contact appear as a high resistance if the pressure for the connection isn't maintain as designed.

The fix by soldering a wire to connect the two points for those brave enough to do it could cause the Wi-Fi transmitter to burn out prematurely. Connecting the wire is lengthening the antenna causing a mismatch between the antenna and the transmitter, this can cause some of the transmitted power to be reflected back to the Wi-Fi transmitter as a standing wave, which might cause longer term problems.

I suspect repairs that are working are simply the back removed, the antenna contact pins being bent back up and given a bit of a clean with Isopropyl alcohol for good measure before reassembly. This fix could be short lived if the conditions causing it haven't been addressed.

Regards

Phil
    Peace

A few people have joined this thread to defend HTC and the One X, which is fine, but please read on.

This thread was never to intended to discredit or harm HTC or any of their phones, I just wanted to help anyone else in my situation. The problem was more widespread than I imagined and this thread has grown at an amazing rate (we have very near 100,000 views & 1,300 comments atm) I honestly expected a couple of dozen replies.

HTC has apologise for the problem, they have a contact number which you can contact them directly to get your issues solved (I personaly have found them to be very helpful) and they have made steps to prevent this from happening to future models.

Ok HTC maybe rushed the phone out to beat rivals, it maybe needed a little more beta testing. Anyone can make a mistake and in this case I feel HTC are genuinely trying to making it right again.

I know your all angry about your phones, but people, please lets not insult this otherwise great phone or company.

And to everyone who seems to denie this problem even exists because their phone is ok. This issue is real, I am not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, all these comments are real and they show the scale of the problem facing HTC. I would like to think this thread helped minimise this problem to just the first few months of production.

I am sure this thread has done what I wanted it to and helped a lot of people, many more than I had expected. I am sure the information here will continue to help others and will continue to grow.

Now people lets stop trying to discredit this thread, HTC or the One X and lets use this thread as I intended, to help each other with this issue.
    HTC confirms One X Wi-Fi issue
    "After investigating isolated reports of Wi-Fi connectivity issues in the HTC One X, we have identified a fix that strengthens the area of the phone around the Wi-Fi antennae connection points."
    HTC went on to say, "While many customers have not experienced any problems with signal strength, we have taken immediate steps to implement a solution in our production process to prevent this issue from happening in the future.
    "HTC is committed to making sure every customer has a great experience and we apologise for any inconvenience this issue may have caused while we conducted a thorough investigation."
    So if you're about to purchase a HTC One X, but are concerned about the antenna problem then fear not, for the Taiwanese firm has addressed this issue at production level. However this doesn't help those who currently own a problematic handset.
    We got back in touch with HTC, asking what users with the issue can expect, and a spokesperson said: "HTC is asking anyone who is experiencing a Wi-Fi issue with their phone to contact our customer service team for help."
    They were unable to confirm if HTC would be offering free replacement handsets to affected users. If your HTC One X is experiencing this issue, let us know what HTC says to you on the phone.