[Q] Cable question - cannot use headphones jack during bluetooth call

Search This thread

mdt73

Jul 11, 2011
Clarksville
Has anyone been able to find a micro usb cable that has a 3.5mm audio jack on the other end, that can also charge the phone via USB? I have found a few examples of homemade contraptions that people have posted on XDA, but nothing polished enough to actually convince me they work. I am trying to be able to charge my phone in the car, while playing audio out via the micro usb port. In theory, this should alleviate my phone from trying to pump out bluetooth phone conversations thru the headphones jack during a call.

Thx, in advance.

darkfox2002

Nov 19, 2010
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know these devices aren't able to receive power via the headphone jack you would need to open the phone and solder a connection between the headphone jack and USB port to get it to charge remember doing something similar to get PSPs to charge via USB back in the day

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

mdt73

Jul 11, 2011
Clarksville
Think I might have figured this out...

This cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-male-to-30P-Female-data-charge-M-F-adapter-for-Apple-iPhone-iPod-cable-/180962749596?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2a22386c9c

Plus This cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-AUX-USB-Audio-White-Cable-for-iPhone-iPod-iPad-BMW-Volvo-Sony-Ford-/320961010005?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item4abac45955

Should allow me to charge the phone while NOT using the headphones jack... and hopefully let my bluetooth in the car take over during a call. Gonna have to wait a bit for shipping, but I will update you as it comes in. Now, if I could simply find someone who makes a solid cable that doesn't require me to connect two separate ones, I would be golden.

mdt73

Jul 11, 2011
Clarksville
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know these devices aren't able to receive power via the headphone jack you would need to open the phone and solder a connection between the headphone jack and USB port to get it to charge remember doing something similar to get PSPs to charge via USB back in the day

I probably mispoke. Here's what I am up against, and trying to do.

The S3 currently has no ability to switch audio out devices during a phone call, if the headphone jack is in use. The option to switch to bluetooth headset is there, but it's grayed out. What does that mean? If I am using the heaphones jack, and connecting that to the aux in port in my car... I am unable to use my car's bluetooth to make or receive calls.

My way around this is to figure out how to get audio out via the micro USB port, while still retaining a way to charge the phone. Most BMW autos from the past 7 years or newer have their BMW to iPod cable, which has the male 30p iPod connector at one end, and a USB + 3.5mm jack at the other end. What I need to find is a way to connect the 30p iPod connector to the S3 micro USB. I have only found the cable I linked above... but will keep looking. Just wondering if others have found a way around this, other than using a bluetooth A2DP bluetooth streaming device like a parrot or the belkin version.

darkfox2002

Nov 19, 2010
Unless you are using that cable with an iPod you won't get sound to output through it. Trust me I've tried it on my 2008 BMW and it didn't work. Are you trying to get it to work over the cars Bluetooth or a headset? To me it seems like an aux Bluetooth dongle like those made by blackberry may suit your needs
Amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00170KUM0

mdt73

Jul 11, 2011
Clarksville
Unless you are using that cable with an iPod you won't get sound to output through it. Trust me I've tried it on my 2008 BMW and it didn't work. Are you trying to get it to work over the cars Bluetooth or a headset? To me it seems like an aux Bluetooth dongle like those made by blackberry may suit your needs
Amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00170KUM0

I am trying to get the phone call audio over the bluetooth in the car. When anything is plugged into the headphones jack, the phone automatically routes it thru there, killing my phone calls. The car thinks it's using the bluetooth, the phone thinks it's using the headphones... end result, no sound, unless I unplug the headset each time.

The bluetooth dongle from blackberry I found for $200, bleh, not paying that. Why did the bmw cable not work for you? Also, where did you find your female 30p cable?

The easy fix is for samsung to update the phone so I can switch audio devices in a call...

Thx, in advance.

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
I'm also very interested in this. It sounds like we could do it on software. I'm sure it's been done in cyanogenmod before, but I'd like to have it for TW.

Anyone have any idea where to look (what apk, files, etc)? I'm no 1337 dev, but I can hack my way around apks and write java.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

jetjaguar

Sep 12, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
In the same boat

Has anyone been able to find a micro usb cable that has a 3.5mm audio jack on the other end, that can also charge the phone via USB? I have found a few examples of homemade contraptions that people have posted on XDA, but nothing polished enough to actually convince me they work. I am trying to be able to charge my phone in the car, while playing audio out via the micro usb port. In theory, this should alleviate my phone from trying to pump out bluetooth phone conversations thru the headphones jack during a call.

Thx, in advance.

I have experienced this same issue. My 2008 Acura TL has Hands Free (Bluetooth) but no way to connect external audio player other than with the Aux connection. So when I have the phone plugged in to the Aux and I receive a call I have to unplug the Aux first, then take the call, then plug the Aux back in when the call is over. :mad:

I think the resolution is going to have to be a software update/patch that fixes the source used for audio a when call is received.

Last edited:

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
All, I was able to find a solution that worked for me. While in the car I can charge the phone, play music, and still answer calls hands free (with fully working two way communication) all from only the usb port.

I am running a TW based rom (Bean's R11 with Lean Kernel 0.9). I'm confident this will work in all TW roms and will most likely work in AOSP roms as well (although I haven't tried it).

The solution I used was to make a custom USB cable.

Our phone (along with almost every Android phone) uses a micro usb B port. A micro usb B port has 5 pins (Vcc, D-, D+, IDCON, GND).

http://pinoutsguide.com/CellularPhones-P-W/samsung_cell_micro_usb_pinout.shtml

The 3.5mm aux input in my car has 3 connectors (Tip, Ring, and Sleeve).

http://pinouts.ru/Home/Tele35s_pinout.shtml

Tip=Left Audio
Ring=Right Audio
Sleeve=signal gnd

This post pretty much sums it up http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14846636&postcount=9

In a nutshell you connect pin 2 (D-) of the micro usb B connector to the left audio (tip), pin 3 (D+) to right audio (ring), pin 5 (GND) to the signal gnd (sleeve), and pin 4 (IDCON) to a large resistor (I used 470K ohm) which connects to pin 5 (GND). The resistor is absolutely needed in order to limit current.

To enable charging, connect a car charger Vcc (+5v) to pin 1 of the micro usb B connector (Vcc) and gnd to pin 5 (GND). As gnd in a car is ultimately going to the same place (chassis), we don't need to worry about differing grounds.

When you plug this cable into your phone, the presence of the resistor between IDCON and GND triggers the phone to enter "dock mode". If you go into settings, dock, and check "Output Audio Mode", then an analog audio signal will be output over the data lines (and GND) of the micro usb port.

This worked well in my car and did not mess with the bluetooth microphone.

This could also be adapted for an iphone connector (if your car doesn't have a convenient 3.5mm aux jack). See the pinout for details.
http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

I am going to order some electronic parts to make a nice clean cable that will last a while. When I get around to ordering the parts, I'll try to remember to post the list here.

Last edited:
Reactions: ooofest

Maxgap1705

Sep 23, 2010
I bought the car dock from vzw with my s3 that actually had this very cable... usb on one end with the other end split into micro usb and 3.5mm jack

Couldnt tell you if it would work the way you are asking though... every phone ive ever used always puts a headphone jack as priority over a bluetooth device until disabled or Bt settings are reconfigured to phone only on bt, media audio left unchecked

Granted... my car might not be as smart as yours ;) id really like to get audio through micro usb running as well without having a mess of ghetto rigged wires all across my dash

Last edited:

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
I am going to order some electronic parts to make a nice clean cable that will last a while. When I get around to ordering the parts, I'll try to remember to post the list here.

FYI,

I ordered this cable and am going to use the configuration described here.

I already have the resistor and one of the DIY micro usb connectors with housing laying around, but this would also work.

It really is quite a clean setup. Besides, the paranoid side of me would rather make the cable rather than buy one because I know exactly what the cable circuit is. I'm sure a lot of cables out there just short pins 4 and 5 on the micro usb connector (to save the cost of acquiring/installing the resistor).

Last edited:
Reactions: jetjaguar

keving75

May 2, 2011
I would also like to know a solution to this issue, as it is in the software. I ran ASOP JB on the Nexus and the S3 and they always routed the phone calls over my BT earpice even when I had the headphone jack plugged in for music.
My music would pause while on the phone and resume as soon as I hung-up the call.
I hope a dev can sort this out in the TW ROMS, as they are so much more stable than the AOSP that is out at the moment.

jonapunk

Jul 8, 2010
clinton township
My question is if your car has blue tooth why not use blue tooth audio and charge your phone that is what I do in my fusion

jetjaguar

Sep 12, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
Issue resolved

I resolved this issue for myself by building a cable similar to the ones mentioned in this thread.

Here is my proof of concept. Working perfectly for me. PM me if you need info about the cable.

20130513_000214.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All, I was able to find a solution that worked for me. While in the car I can charge the phone, play music, and still answer calls hands free (with fully working two way communication) all from only the usb port.

I am running a TW based rom (Bean's R11 with Lean Kernel 0.9). I'm confident this will work in all TW roms and will most likely work in AOSP roms as well (although I haven't tried it).

The solution I used was to make a custom USB cable.

Our phone (along with almost every Android phone) uses a micro usb B port. A micro usb B port has 5 pins (Vcc, D-, D+, IDCON, GND).

http://pinoutsguide.com/CellularPhones-P-W/samsung_cell_micro_usb_pinout.shtml

The 3.5mm aux input in my car has 3 connectors (Tip, Ring, and Sleeve).

http://pinouts.ru/Home/Tele35s_pinout.shtml

Tip=Left Audio
    Ring=Right Audio
    Sleeve=signal gnd

This post pretty much sums it up http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14846636&postcount=9

In a nutshell you connect pin 2 (D-) of the micro usb B connector to the left audio (tip), pin 3 (D+) to right audio (ring), pin 5 (GND) to the signal gnd (sleeve), and pin 4 (IDCON) to a large resistor (I used 470K ohm) which connects to pin 5 (GND). The resistor is absolutely needed in order to limit current.

To enable charging, connect a car charger Vcc (+5v) to pin 1 of the micro usb B connector (Vcc) and gnd to pin 5 (GND). As gnd in a car is ultimately going to the same place (chassis), we don't need to worry about differing grounds.

When you plug this cable into your phone, the presence of the resistor between IDCON and GND triggers the phone to enter "dock mode". If you go into settings, dock, and check "Output Audio Mode", then an analog audio signal will be output over the data lines (and GND) of the micro usb port.

This worked well in my car and did not mess with the bluetooth microphone.

This could also be adapted for an iphone connector (if your car doesn't have a convenient 3.5mm aux jack). See the pinout for details.
    http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

FYI,

I ordered this cable and am going to use the configuration described here.

I already have the resistor and one of the DIY micro usb connectors with housing laying around, but this would also work.

It really is quite a clean setup. Besides, the paranoid side of me would rather make the cable rather than buy one because I know exactly what the cable circuit is. I'm sure a lot of cables out there just short pins 4 and 5 on the micro usb connector (to save the cost of acquiring/installing the resistor).