[MOD][HOW-TO]AOSP MMS on JB Touchwiz (Emoji, Quick Reply, 90% Working MMS)

Search This thread

culpn8r

Jul 11, 2010
Some of the emojis when my friend sends from an iPhone are black and white and not like the other emojis and some of the Smiley's are android Smiley's instead of the emoji ones.

Is this normal or is there a setting I need to change?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mazorax

Mar 27, 2006
Dirty South
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Some of the emojis when my friend sends from an iPhone are black and white and not like the other emojis and some of the Smiley's are android Smiley's instead of the emoji ones.

Is this normal or is there a setting I need to change?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It's because the iPhone 5 came out with some new emojis that aren't in this one. I think somewhere on the forums there is an mms.apk that has the new ones also, although I can't remember where I saw that at, and yes the emojis are a mix of android and regular.

Last edited:

sweeds

Jul 13, 2011
Boston
I flashed the updated zip you posted in the OP, but I am in a bootloop and it sticks on the boot anim.

The filesizes match. I'm on LK3 modem. Running TW Synergy r155. I flashed the file from the external SD using TWRP, clearing cache/davlik beforehand. Any ideas why it hangs, or suggestions?

**Edit** Found this via search, just realized it's AT&T and I'm on VZW. Will the directions work similarly?

Last edited:

mazorax

Mar 27, 2006
Dirty South
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I flashed the updated zip you posted in the OP, but I am in a bootloop and it sticks on the boot anim.

The filesizes match. I'm on LK3 modem. Running TW Synergy r155. I flashed the file from the external SD using TWRP, clearing cache/davlik beforehand. Any ideas why it hangs, or suggestions?

**Edit** Found this via search, just realized it's AT&T and I'm on VZW. Will the directions work similarly?

It's most likely because the framework doesn't match. This one is built using the framework from UCDLK3. You would have to follow the directions in the OP and grab the framework for your ROM and build it.

Last edited:
Reactions: loserskater

smeatr0n

Jun 22, 2011
Langley
If you can find the one you used, I'd be grateful... the problem is that there are so many out there, I have tried 3 of them that don't work. :eek: edit: or attach it :)

Hey finally found a link for the MMS apk I've been using which seems to work fine with this mod. Here you go.

Edit: False alarm, link removed. Sorry everyone!

Sent from my thumbs to your brain.

Last edited:

loserskater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2008
Palmdale, CA
Reactions: smeatr0n

WaterMan!

Aug 12, 2009
This kind of works for me. Whenever I get a text in the notification bar I have options below it, Quick reply which causes the popup to come, read and close. But is there a way to make the pop-up come up like in CM10 with the quick reply being there already?

smeatr0n

Jun 22, 2011
Langley
This kind of works for me. Whenever I get a text in the notification bar I have options below it, Quick reply which causes the popup to come, read and close. But is there a way to make the pop-up come up like in CM10 with the quick reply being there already?

Enable 'show popup' in the settings?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357763164016.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357763164016.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 805

juni0rz

Apr 25, 2011
Is this something you may include in a future ROM update?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

mk_ln

Jul 16, 2010
Here is a version of MMS.apk with the green sense bubbles if anyone is interested you can download it from here: http://d-h.st/5Ys Seems to be working fine for me.

have you yet received any MMS? It might just be me, but it seems that received MMS pics are smaller than the sent ones. To test, send yourself a pic and see if the image looks smaller (not referring to file size)

Thanks!

smeatr0n

Jun 22, 2011
Langley
I took the Mms.apk from the OP and themed it with the help of Adulfo and Jase33. Zip-aligned and stable! Here it is, enjoy.

This is beautiful! Any chance you could make one with the input text and incoming text in white? But still the blue for outgoing? Nitpicky, I know, I'm sorry! See what android has done to me??? Lol!

sparkerjc

Aug 1, 2012
This is beautiful! Any chance you could make one with the input text and incoming text in white? But still the blue for outgoing? Nitpicky, I know, I'm sorry! See what android has done to me??? Lol!

Not a chance lol. I have about 10 hours into that, it's the first time I've themed anything. If I get bored over the weekend I might tweak it a little and let you know.

Reactions: smeatr0n

proper69

Dec 7, 2010
ive been trying to install mms with the ability to customize it as you want. I took the mms.apk from tasks AOKP rom and it doesnt work with this mod. Would I have to decompile everything like what you did in order to get it to work?

its my favourite mms as it allows the uset to make it look like whatever they want!

Ive included the mms.apk.

like the user above me i dont know how to decompile etc. Sorry

Attachments

• Mms.apk
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: Mac1679

wcoast

Jul 20, 2011
Los Angeles
@loserskater

Great tutorial mate, excellent guide! works great for me

Will guide work with porting CM 10.1 4.2.1 MMS

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First you need an AOSP based rom. I used the latest CM 10.1 so I could have Quick Reply, emojis, and mms group messaging. Not sure if this works with other AOSP roms, but it should.

You're going to need three files from the AOSP rom:
    /system/app/MMS.apk
    /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
    /system/framework/mms-common.jar*
    *(the files we need may be in framework.jar if the rom you're using doesn't have this file)

and two files from your TW rom:
    /system/app/SecTelephonyProvider.apk
    /system/framework/framework2.jar (make sure it's framework2.jar)

• Now decompile everything except MMS.apk. That one's fine as is.
    • Now we're going to move some files around.
    • First is framework2.jar and mms-common.jar
      Delete /smali/com/google/android/mms in framework2.jar. Yes the entire folder.

Now we're going to take the folder
      Code:
      /smali/com/google/android/mms
      from mms-common.jar and copy/move it to the framework2.jar folder
      Code:
      /smali/com/google/android/mms
    • Now is SecTelephonyProvider.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk
      Navigate to the following folder in TelephonyProvider.apk:
      Code:
      smali\com\android\providers\telephony
      and copy the following files:
      Code:
      MmsProvider.smali
      MmsSmsDatabaseHelper$LowStorageMonitor.smali
      MmsSmsDatabaseHelper.smali
      MmsSmsProvider.smali
      SmsProvider.smali
      Copy them to the following folder in SecTelephonyProvider.apk:
      Code:
      smali\com\android\providers\telephony
    • Recompile framework2.jar and SecTelephonyProvider.apk.
    • Place MMS.apk and SecTelephony.apk in /system/app/
    • Place framework2.jar in /system/framework/
    • Delete SecMms.apk from /system/app/
    If you try to use Messaging at this point, it will probably open, but MMS won't work.

Now the most important part!
    Note: This will delete all of you messages so make sure you back them up!!!!!!
    On your device, navigate to
    Code:
    /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/
    and delete the three files:
    Code:
    mmssms.db
    mmssms.db-shm
    mmssms.db-wal

You should now have a fully functional AOSP MMS!

Here's some other MMS apps that should work with this:
    Note: Flash these AFTER this mod.
    Android 4.2.1 Bubble MMS.apk quick Emoji + Popup!(Thanks msk for the link)

I've attached a flashable zip for LK3, but be warned IT WILL WIPE ALL OF YOUR MESSAGES!!!!!

UPDATE: I updated the zip to remove the stock messaging app. I believe that's why some people were having issues. Thanks boostmx.
    UPDATE(1-24): Added revert to restore stock TW MMS. It will also wipe your messages so backup!
    UPDATE(1-26): It seems as though group messaging is still hit or miss. From sparkerjc:
    Just to clarify this, since I got PM about it: The 1-18 version of cm10.1 has working group MMS, therefore to complete the mod that framework should be considered safe to pull from. However, even with that framework group messages from some iPhones (apparently iPhone 4) show up blank in Touchwiz Roms on Verizon. Not sure about AT&T but since this is the thread getting the views, I'm posting it here.

Secondly, there seems to be some confusion regarding "Working mms" MMS is not just pictures, in the group messages the apps convert text to be sent as MMS to more then one recipient. So while "MMS is working", sometimes "group texts sent as mms" may not be working. Every group text will be sent as mms, but not every mms is a group message. Make sense?

Cool.
    UPDATE(03-03): Updated flashable zips with latest CM 10.1 build. Also included one that doesn't wipe messages.
    loserskater said:
    When going from TW > AOSP or from AOSP > TW you need to remove the messaging databases because they need to be recreated otherwise you'll have FCs. So use the "Wipe messages" zip. But if you already have AOSP and just want to upgrade to the latest one, you don't need to remove the databases so use the "Non wipe messages" zip..
    I updated the OP with a version that was compiled from today's CM 10.1 build. The steps to implement are still the same. I haven't tested group messaging or the iphone issue some were having, but if sparkerjc is correct, then it should work.

And just a note, the "Use dark theme" setting if only for the quick reply popup not the entire app.
    I took the Mms.apk from the OP and themed it with the help of Adulfo and Jase33. Zip-aligned and stable! Here it is, enjoy.
    Not for sure why anyone would want AOSP MMS on TW, but whatever. Lol.

Anyone worried about messages, just download SMS Backup.

Thanks for the share.

Quick Reply, emoji, and mms group messaging are the three I hear most people talk about.
    I get what your saying, I think it was just confusing when you said "The above app" because they are all above lol. If you get that version working, post it up for us! :laugh:

So I started from scratch. I installed cleanromLE5.6 and used these files to decompile/recompile. From a fresh install, it worked. The theming works and I can send/receive mms.

I install kindacrap2.6 and everything still works.

I'll post the flashable zip. It does delete the database.

Results may vary.

http://db.tt/CqumJ2Wr