XDA insults newbies yet can't even design search system probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

kuromusha38

Feb 16, 2014
Sydney
Have you look at your search system, how about instead of wasting your time making videos insulting noobs and spend more time making a probably search system so that noobs can actually search what they looking for instead of watching your stupid insulting video telling them to do the very thing they want to do but can not do because the search system is not developed probably by self proclaimed developers.

Look at the search function, a person had to spend 10 minutes going through all the forums listed on the entire site to find the right forum to search in. It's obvious you guys have no ability of designing a proper search function to accommodate the amount of sub forums on the site.

So you might call us noobs at rooting or whatever, but I call you noobs at forum search development. Oh wait there is no design it's just a generic bulletin board.

Capture_zps7c54a593.png

Mazda

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2008
Umad bro?

Search works fine for me, and pretty much every other user. Rather than scrolling through the list, just start typing the name of the forum and it'll jump straight to it. It's not rocket science. After all, as you said, it's just a standard vBulletin search.
FM7tPiA.jpg

Mazda

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2008
Try using the main forum search at the top of the site. It is powered by Google and is very good at finding stuff. :p
Speaking of search, not sure if this is the place to bring this up BUT could you guys add the ability to search using code names instead of the actual name?

Reason I'm asking is because is becoming a pain with all the "Ones" and I got a feeling that is not going to stop with HTC going full speed with that and now the One Plus....

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
Speaking of search, not sure if this is the place to bring this up BUT could you guys add the ability to search using code names instead of the actual name?

Reason I'm asking is because is becoming a pain with all the "Ones" and I got a feeling that is not going to stop with HTC going full speed with that and now the One Plus....

Yes we can do that. If you can help out by listing out codenames for key devices, that would help alot.

Reactions: jerdog and Mazda

kuromusha38

Feb 16, 2014
Sydney
Umad bro?

Search works fine for me, and pretty much every other user. Rather than scrolling through the list, just start typing the name of the forum and it'll jump straight to it. It's not rocket science. After all, as you said, it's just a standard vBulletin search.

Yes I'm mad because it's frustrating to search.

What do you mean tying the name of the forum?

I want to search for the Note II forum. How do I do what you said? Does that mean I have to type "Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100" really fast or something. It's does not work at all.

Your search system is broken for so many sub forums. How about introduce something like Samsung>Note>II classification in the search forum section of the search feature.

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh

I want to search for the Note II forum. How do I do what you said? Does that mean I have to type "Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100" really fast or something. It's does not work at all.

Your search system is broken for so many sub forums. How about introduce something like Samsung>Note>II classification in the search forum section of the search feature.

You don't need to use the search function to find the Note 2 area. You just start typing Note up top where it says "Type to Find Your Device" Mayhaps you could calm down slightly and look at all the utilities the XDA site provides before flaming XDA's web devs.

raymond36136

Mar 18, 2008
Canton
You know. This use to be a good site. Now every forum I have been on is either full of noob bashing cause they did something wrong or devs getting in trouble cause they link to another forum. XDA has become home of the nazi mods. I have personally seen all the bull crap thats been going on over on samsung area. I hope devs pull off this site. The once friendly site has been destroyed. Congrats nazis

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using XDA Free mobile app

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member

If you want to find a SPECIFIC FORUM, you should use the box up the top that says "Type to Find Your Device". Search isn't used for finding forums, it's used to find specific posts, issues, problems etc...

The search system is not broken. If you want to search INSIDE A SUBFORUM, go to that subforum, and up the top use the "Search This Forum" box.

If you hadn't been so rude or insulting in your first post, you would likely have received better help.

swifter78neo

Jun 17, 2014
As much as I would like to laugh at TS using UMAD memes, I feel that the search function could be improved. Right now I'm making it done with google's domain search or appending xda to the end of my search requests in google :silly:

kuromusha38

Feb 16, 2014
Sydney
Why not just use the XDA search plugin for FF or IE? The one for FF works great. Cant say for IE have never used it.

I don't use IE or FF. I use chrome, even if there is an add-on for Chrome, I would not want to install an add on just for that. The issue can be solved with just few extra layers of classification.

XDA is different from other forums because XDA makes forums for each device and it's becoming too much. In a few years, if you don't do something about it. It will be impossible to navigate around the forum.

Last edited:

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
XDA is different from other forums because XDA makes forums for each device and it's becoming too much. In a few years, if you don't do something about it. It will be impossible to navigate around the forum.

Most people just find their device forum, bookmark it, and come back to it, right? If there are hundreds of other devices, and you don't own any of them, you shouldn't be visiting them, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts