[Q] MJE rooting woes

Search This thread

Rootpooty

May 1, 2014
As the title states I have the MJE build. Have been told by a few friends rooting it may be a bit more difficult. Can I still root using kingo or is there a better alternative? Also I have been watching youtube how to videos like crazy and still I am lost as to how to get safestrap and jelly beans rom to the phone. Do I need to click the link from the phone or do I have to use my pc and copy the files to the phone?

There is only one reason why I want to root as of right now so I can run a wifi app that must be rooted from the play store. Thanks to anyone who offers me assistance.

Reactions: Bonniecal

SuBDivisions

Feb 6, 2008
As the title states I have the MJE build. Have been told by a few friends rooting it may be a bit more difficult. Can I still root using kingo or is there a better alternative? Also I have been watching youtube how to videos like crazy and still I am lost as to how to get safestrap and jelly beans rom to the phone. Do I need to click the link from the phone or do I have to use my pc and copy the files to the phone?

There is only one reason why I want to root as of right now so I can run a wifi app that must be rooted from the play store. Thanks to anyone who offers me assistance.

I was able to root MJE pretty easily.. What i did was on Stock unrooted 4.3, (I Odin to 4.3 Stock MJE to make sure all was good, you shouldnt have too but i did because i went to 4.4.2 unrooted first) Use the 1.1.6 Klingo.. It MUST be 1.1.6. Any other version seems not to work properly. I had to run it 2x for it to root (it fails the first time, then it goes thru the second). From, there its cake to install safestrap, and Odin to 4.4.2 with the instructions in the sticky page. Took me 30 mins tops.

Reactions: Rootpooty

Rootpooty

May 1, 2014
I was able to root MJE pretty easily.. What i did was on Stock unrooted 4.3, (I Odin to 4.3 Stock MJE to make sure all was good, you shouldnt have too but i did because i went to 4.4.2 unrooted first) Use the 1.1.6 Klingo.. It MUST be 1.1.6. Any other version seems not to work properly. I had to run it 2x for it to root (it fails the first time, then it goes thru the second). From, there its cake to install safestrap, and Odin to 4.4.2 with the instructions in the sticky page. Took me 30 mins tops.

what i would like to do is intall safestrap and jelly beans rom. im still on 4.3 dont know much about 4.4 yet

yearn2burn

Apr 3, 2011
Atlanta
what i would like to do is intall safestrap and jelly beans rom. im still on 4.3 dont know much about 4.4 yet

I rooted with Kingo too. Root de La Vega doesn't work, just soft bricks. I was able to get the latest Kingo to work from their site. I used the USB 3 cable connected to pc then from status bar option selected mtp over USB 3. With that setup, Kingo work right away.

Installing Safestrap is super easy. Just download the stable version (3.65), install the apk, run the apk and select install recovery. That's it.

Installing a ROM is also easy in Safestrap. Just follow instructions in Safestrap OP to create slot 1, activate slot 1 and install ROM to slot 1. Note that the ROM you install will use the kernel of the stock ROM, so no AOSP.

Once you're satisfied with your new ROM in slot 1, you can move it to the stock slot and totally replace your stock ROM and delete slot 1 to save storage. To do that, make nandroid backups in recovery of both the stock slot and of slot 1, wipe the stock slot (advanced wipe to wipe system and data rather than just just nonadvanced wipe which does basically a factory reset - JUST DON'T WIPE THE SD CARD) and recover the slot 1 nandroid to the stock slot.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gazoya

May 2, 2014
I rooted with Kingo too. Root de La Vega doesn't work, just soft bricks. I was able to get the latest Kingo to work from their site. I used the USB 3 cable connected to pc then from status bar option selected mtp over USB 3. With that setup, Kingo work right away.

Installing Safestrap is super easy. Just download the stable version (3.65), install the apk, run the apk and select install recovery. That's it.

Installing a ROM is also easy in Safestrap. Just follow instructions in Safestrap OP to create slot 1, activate slot 1 and install ROM to slot 1. Note that the ROM you install will use the kernel of the stock ROM, so no AOSP.

Once you're satisfied with your new ROM in slot 1, you can move it to the stock slot and totally replace your stock ROM and delete slot 1 to save storage. To do that, make nandroid backups in recovery of both the stock slot and of slot 1, wipe the stock slot (advanced wipe to wipe system and data rather than just just nonadvanced wipe which does basically a factory reset - JUST DON'T WIPE THE SD CARD) and recover the slot 1 nandroid to the stock slot.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Did you use Kingo 1.2.1? I only ask since SuBDivisions said 1.1.6 usually only works. Right now I downloaded 1.2.1 from the main site.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.