What's the real problem about linux on surface rt ?

Search This thread

graphsys

Jun 3, 2009
Hi,

I've buy from at lest one mont a surface rt, i've jailbreak it and install filezilla and notepad+++ so.... but i'd like anymore. Like many people i'd like to install a linux distribution on it but i dont really understand what is the problem...

I've know about:
Surface get a secure boot (EFI) and we can't disable the secure boot on surface RT caused windows need a valid key (?). I've read that linux got some distributions arm based (ubuntu, debian, fedora) and i think i've understand about ubuntu got a valid microsoft signature with a ssl provider that can bypass the useless verification... am i right?

So, if ubuntu (or another distro), got a valid sign for bypassing the limitation to due EFI why can't we normal install linux such like surface pro??

Best regards and sry for my bad english ^^'

----------------------------------------------

kitor

Apr 11, 2007
kitor.pl
Some distros has keys to X86 UEFI. No one (other than Microsoft) has keys for ARM.
And (afair) due to some limitations of jailbreak we have no way to execute linux kernel.

This applies to any RT device.

southbird

Feb 12, 2010
And (afair) due to some limitations of jailbreak we have no way to execute linux kernel.

Is this true for sure? I figured especially since we have driver-level access we could possibly tear down the Windows kernel in reverse and start execution of arbitrary code. But I might have missed something.

The bigger issue about trying to port Linux to any device without official Linux support is usually in getting the kernel to boot and then making the hardware itself useful after that. This usually means you have to work "blind" and rely on some kind of low-level serial output to monitor the kernel boot to see where it panics. Only after getting a successful kernel boot can you even begin to think about drivers for the display, touch screen, etc.

So the prerequisites to even beginning to port to e.g. a Surface would be to find some way to kick out Windows and start arbitrary execution, enable some kind of low-level serial debugging for the would-be kernel, and then tediously poke and prod until it can successfully start. I'm not sure anyone knows of a dependable way to get serial debugging information.

Embedded devices on the whole are a lot more finicky and a lot less tolerant than normal PCs, generally due to their proprietary nature requiring a lot of hardware knowledge to initialize everything properly. About the only thing we'd have going for us is that it's a Tegra chipset, so if you can get the underpinnings working, you can probably at least get the basics like video and USB working without too much trouble.

I think the biggest thing about it is like the rest of RT ... there's just not enough interest in those with the skills to even attempt this because this is such an extreme minority platform. I imagine a Surface RT would make an excellent little Linux tablet, but I'm not holding my breath.

kitor

Apr 11, 2007
kitor.pl
Well, If somebody would write something like WinKExec, or HaRET (haret allowed to analyse gpios and memory on WinCE/WM devices) then things may be possible. I own XPS10, so quite different device (as it has Snapdragon CPU), but I have some (small) experience on porting Linux on ARM devices - some time ago I was able to get Linux working on Bsquare Maui: http://pdasite.pl/kitor/maui_linux/ (including hardware reverse engineering - tracking gpios using multimeter - this way i found hidden usb host ;) )

Reactions: iuzar

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
There's been talk of a WinKExec-like approach for months. Nobody has attempted it yet, though, or if they have they kept quiet about it.

One of the problems getting something like that working on RT is that it blocks kernel debugging, so you have to work pretty blindly. Then there's all the driver issues.

skiman10

Oct 1, 2012
What about getting android to boot on it? There's drivers and such for tegra 3. I think its possible to build and deploy if we can get a kernel exploit. Am I wrong?

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
The kernel by itself would be *relatively* easy (translation: still quite hard, but we could probably do it if people cared enough). However, getting all the other hardware (you know, things like the touchscreen, WiFi, and such) would likely be difficult, and without all that, it's pretty useless as a tablet. This is true for both Android and "desktop" Linux.

skiman10

Oct 1, 2012
Where should I start to get a kernel to boot? I'm an android exploiter trying to dabble in Windows exploitation.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Well, unless you think you can break Secure Boot, you should start by writing/porting a way to use the NT kernel to launch the Linux kernel. That probably means a lot of NT driver development stuff (done without the aid of a kernel debugger, just for extra fun).

graphsys

Jun 3, 2009
There's a doc on internet from the blackhat usa 2013 seems to be interesting.
The man from the pdf get the exploit of injecting some code from the boot, so i think we can done this, no ?

If anyone tried and arrive he'll get amout of money from me :)

skiman10

Oct 1, 2012
There's a doc on internet from the blackhat usa 2013 seems to be interesting.
The man from the pdf get the exploit of injecting some code from the boot, so i think we can done this, no ?

If anyone tried and arrive he'll get amout of money from me :)

Can you PM me the article?

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Well, unless you think you can break Secure Boot, you should start by writing/porting a way to use the NT kernel to launch the Linux kernel. That probably means a lot of NT driver development stuff (done without the aid of a kernel debugger, just for extra fun).

I think there is an exploit for Secure Boot, it just hasn't been shared yet...

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
If you mean the exploit I think you mean (discovered by an XDA member), it's a Windows bug, not actually a Secure Boot bug. It doesn't actually allow booting a different OS directly, just messing with Windows after bootup. We already have the jailbreak (for 8.0), which is pretty much equivalent.

graphsys

Jun 3, 2009
If you mean the exploit I think you mean (discovered by an XDA member), it's a Windows bug, not actually a Secure Boot bug. It doesn't actually allow booting a different OS directly, just messing with Windows after bootup. We already have the jailbreak (for 8.0), which is pretty much equivalent.

Im researching the doc i've found to provide you it.
Its not the jailbreak done by clockr ported by neman its another jailbreak who's available from the boot, but if remember they dont give sources... search in progress i'll post the link ;)

mamaich

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 29, 2004
mamaich-eng.blogspot.ru
There is one theoretical way to remove secureboot on a jailbroken device. It is rather easy: write a driver that reads/writes physical RAM. Find EFI_RUNTIME_SERVICES in memory and look for SetVariable function. Patch it so that it does not check for a valid signature. Than write your own certificates to UEFI with this patched function. Profit.
I've already done the first part - wrote a driver and found the table in memory (this is really an easy part). But my device died before I was able to successfully overwrite the certificates.

As far as I know similar method was once demonstrated for an x86 UEFI, just noone made it for ARM.

Reactions: kitor

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
That... is a rather clever option too, although I'm tempted to avoid things which require modifying the firmware (too much option for future updates to break things). Still, a good option for those of us with gen1 devices who would like to be able to upgrade without losing the jailbreak, and also a good option for those who would like to install different OS images...

skiman10

Oct 1, 2012
There is one theoretical way to remove secureboot on a jailbroken device. It is rather easy: write a driver that reads/writes physical RAM. Find EFI_RUNTIME_SERVICES in memory and look for SetVariable function. Patch it so that it does not check for a valid signature. Than write your own certificates to UEFI with this patched function. Profit.
I've already done the first part - wrote a driver and found the table in memory (this is really an easy part). But my device died before I was able to successfully overwrite the certificates.

As far as I know similar method was once demonstrated for an x86 UEFI, just noone made it for ARM.

Can we get in contact? I'd love to get a more detailed plan that I can try. Gen 1 Surface RT on Windows 8 RT.

Reactions: tukker48

ThatGuy94

Jan 10, 2014
Atlanta

About the only way you could possibly break secure boot is possibly by spoofing a key or potentially modify the UEFI to have secure boot disabled. While both are technically possible, you'd have to find an exploit to do it because I'm sure the UEFI probably can't be easily flashed

jordanmills

Sep 10, 2006
Pearland, TX
www.jordanmills.com
About the only way you could possibly break secure boot is possibly by spoofing a key or potentially modify the UEFI to have secure boot disabled. While both are technically possible, you'd have to find an exploit to do it because I'm sure the UEFI probably can't be easily flashed

if you got a device with a jtag interface left open, that should be easy enough. The problem is that EPROM "fuses" are usually burned on the SOC. The secureboot check is hardcoded check that flag. You can't alter the bootloader without invalidating its signature, and it's practically impossible to unset an EPROM fuse.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, If somebody would write something like WinKExec, or HaRET (haret allowed to analyse gpios and memory on WinCE/WM devices) then things may be possible. I own XPS10, so quite different device (as it has Snapdragon CPU), but I have some (small) experience on porting Linux on ARM devices - some time ago I was able to get Linux working on Bsquare Maui: http://pdasite.pl/kitor/maui_linux/ (including hardware reverse engineering - tracking gpios using multimeter - this way i found hidden usb host ;) )

Can we get in contact? I'd love to get a more detailed plan that I can try. Gen 1 Surface RT on Windows 8 RT.