Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
i7I1G7o.jpg

LOL! Touche!

Sent from my Droid Razr M using xda app-developers app

Methanoid

Aug 10, 2005
I read with some interest JCase's post about rooting. I wonder how far we are from custom Roms. Personally I have no interest in Amazon's locked down ecosystem. I'm wanting to be able to autoboot into XBMC (I think that can be done with AutoPilot.APK and SPMC) and to be able to jump out of XBMC to the odd game or other app (and back)....

There was a suggestion that despite root we wont get ability to flash new roms? Is that correct?

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
I read with some interest JCase's post about rooting. I wonder how far we are from custom Roms. Personally I have no interest in Amazon's locked down ecosystem. I'm wanting to be able to autoboot into XBMC (I think that can be done with AutoPilot.APK and SPMC) and to be able to jump out of XBMC to the odd game or other app (and back)....

There was a suggestion that despite root we wont get ability to flash new roms? Is that correct?

Check out the launcher version of BeyondXBMC. You would access android apps from programs menu. The only drawback is bottom status bar will not autohide since it is a launcher.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2655622

themantler

Jun 2, 2013
Check out the launcher version of BeyondXBMC. You would access android apps from programs menu. The only drawback is bottom status bar will not autohide since it is a launcher.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2655622

I believe the home button has been re-mapped to only fall back to fire launcher. I installed another launcher succesfully and can launch it via adb but the option to select a default launcher has been removed.

jweidman

Apr 11, 2014
Apps

has anyone gotten XBMCTorrent to work?

if someone can create or upload it to a repo i would be more then happy to try to get it to work,

unless someone can point me to how to sideload a zip file to the Fire,

also i downloaded the APK fro the Dropbox app and it loads on vertically any way i can switch it, i might just be missing something.

vitalik3k

Sep 11, 2009
I develop plugins for personal use and waiting for a moment when I would able to boot into my app bypassing Amazon app. Fire TV has quite impressive specs, all my previous experiments with streaming 1080p videos failed even with ARMv7 Neon codec.
Many SoC for Android have limitations decoding H.264 video, I really hope that Fire TV would be able to stream 1080p from my home server via my app. Maybe even 4K..

the_gunner

Mar 3, 2008
I got the radio feature to work but was unable to play any of my actual playlists

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

So the app loads properly and you can control it, but you can't login to your account? Or were you able to login to your account?

Which Spotify apk did you try - Play version or Amazon tablet version?

dhayman11

Mar 4, 2012
Prescott
So the app loads properly and you can control it, but you can't login to your account? Or were you able to login to your account?

Which Spotify apk did you try - Play version or Amazon tablet version?

I used the play version. I was able to log in (using a wireless mouse/keyboard), though the login screen wasn't oriented properly. After the initial login the screen was correctly oriented but navigation was awkward and clicking shuffle all or clicking on a song title wouldn't do anything. But clicking on the radio icon played the radio fine.

the_gunner

Mar 3, 2008
I got the radio feature to work but was unable to play any of my actual playlists

I used the play version. I was able to log in (using a wireless mouse/keyboard), though the login screen wasn't oriented properly. After the initial login the screen was correctly oriented but navigation was awkward and clicking shuffle all or clicking on a song title wouldn't do anything. But clicking on the radio icon played the radio fine.

Thanks for your efforts! If you get a chance, try the Amazon tablet version and let us know how it works: http://www.amazon.com/Spotify-Kindle-Tablet-Edition/dp/B008RBZA4A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

DeVSS

Jul 7, 2007
Retroarch arm7 v1.0.0.2-r34 - Working perfectly with XboX 360 controller. The Amazon game controller is recognized but the buttons do not work. (I tried to manually configuring the controller. All the buttons allow me to map except for the L2 and R2. When I push those buttons they dont register when I try to bind them. Everything else binded though and I was able to play snes with the amazon fire tv remote).

Google Drive - Not Working says cant find account and fails to launch

WWE Network - Not working properly - launches but launches vertically and wont go to landscape mode.

Twit Pro - Working everything works perfectly.

Watch ABC - Not Working Properly - loads up correctly but can not navigate the buttons with the remote.

NBC - Not Working Properly loads up correctly but can not navigate the buttons with the remote.

CBS - Not Working Properly loads upside down.

Shadowgun Deadzone - Not Working Properly can't click on the download data button once the game launches.

The Respawnables - Not Working Properly launches, downloads data, then crashes.

VLC For Android v0.9.1 arm7 - Working perfectly. Remote buttons work and I tested a 1080p video (with dts 4.1 audio) file and it played perfectly.

SOPcast - Working perfectly. Loads up and plays just fine. Tried 3000kbps stream and streamed perfectly.

Beach buggy blitz - Not Working - crashes on start up.

Temple Run 2 - Not Working Properly starts sideways.

Last edited:

PHAMOS1

Jul 31, 2010
Harmony 550

So I used the USB dongle from my old Windows remote(see link below) with Fire TV. And programmed my Harmony 550 to use instead of the Windows remote and hot dam if everything did work properly. I set up an activity to turn on my TV, control the volume, choose HDMI input etc. So far so good, only thing I need now is a Harmony with a keyboard....... wait , there is one for $150. Sure the number keys work but I want.a full keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bama29

May 24, 2011
So I used the USB dongle from my old Windows remote(see link below) with Fire TV. And programmed my Harmony 550 to use instead of the Windows remote and hot dam if everything did work properly. I set up an activity to turn on my TV, control the volume, choose HDMI input etc. So far so good, only thing I need now is a Harmony with a keyboard....... wait , there is one for $150. Sure the number keys work but I want.a full keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the same ORtek dongle that you have in your link and am using my Harmony One. Everything works except I am having a problem with the UP/Down/Right/Left buttons on the Harmony. When I use them to scroll up and down or left and right it skips an entry. Normally for every click it goes two selections. I have tried the troubleshooting link to change speed of the input, memorizing from the actual ORtek remote that does scroll properly and memorizing the input RAW. I can't seem to find a solution that works. However the ability to change inputs on TV, Reciever, apply power to applicable devices with one click from a programmed Activity is great.

PHAMOS1

Jul 31, 2010
I have the same ORtek dongle that you have in your link and am using my Harmony One. Everything works except I am having a problem with the UP/Down/Right/Left buttons on the Harmony. When I use them to scroll up and down or left and right it skips an entry. Normally for every click it goes two selections. I have tried the troubleshooting link to change speed of the input, memorizing from the actual ORtek remote that does scroll properly and memorizing the input RAW. I can't seem to find a solution that works. However the ability to change inputs on TV, Reciever, apply power to applicable devices with one click from a programmed Activity is great.

That's odd I I'm going to look in my Harmony settings and see what the direction pad looks like and get back to you.

Apr 9, 2014
WWE Network - Not working properly - launches but launches vertically and wont go to landscape mode..

I already posted about this one a few days ago.

You can force the correct rotation with "Ultimate Rotation Control". It doesn't work with the remote. You'll need a keyboard/mouse to navigate the app. Everything besides the live stream/VOD works. That section is blocked off with a GPS requirement and I was unable to get past it with a GPS spoofer. I guess it look for an actual chip?

I'm still trying to figure out a way to access it with a web browser on Fire TV but Phony with Firefox didn't work. The site still directs me to download the app. .

Maybe Chrome with a changed user agent would work? There has to be some way to trick it into thinking you're on a PC.

Reactions: DeVSS

PHAMOS1

Jul 31, 2010

My setting are the basic Up= Up Direction Down=Down Direction so I don't see why your One is doing that. Did you do in custom buttons for that activity? I remember one time I had to make it so my Harmony sent a command twice every time I pushed a certain button to get a possessed receiver to act right.

DeVSS

Jul 7, 2007
I already posted about this one a few days ago.

You can force the correct rotation with "Ultimate Rotation Control". It doesn't work with the remote. You'll need a keyboard/mouse to navigate the app. Everything besides the live stream/VOD works. That section is blocked off with a GPS requirement and I was unable to get past it with a GPS spoofer. I guess it look for an actual chip?

I'm still trying to figure out a way to access it with a web browser on Fire TV but Phony with Firefox didn't work. The site still directs me to download the app. .

Maybe Chrome with a changed user agent would work? There has to be some way to trick it into thinking you're on a PC.

Oops sorry I missed it. Was just going off the list on the main page. Hopefully it gets updated soon so we can tell at a glance what works and what doesn't.

Bama29

May 24, 2011
My setting are the basic Up= Up Direction Down=Down Direction so I don't see why your One is doing that. Did you do in custom buttons for that activity? I remember one time I had to make it so my Harmony sent a command twice every time I pushed a certain button to get a possessed receiver to act right.

I think I explored in custom buttons as well but will take another look for possibilities. Did you set your Harmony up to see a Media PC (Ortek VRC-1100) device?

Edit: I found a solution. Looking through the Logitech Forums I found a post where a guy said that when "Learning" the buttons it required a VERY quick key press. I had been deliberate before when pressing the keys so ran through the process again. Apparently the Vista MCE remote that comes with the dongle has a quick key repeat. After four very quick key "Taps" and a Harmony remote update all worked as it should. Go figure, a very touchy process...

Also:

For those trying to get the Harmony up to speed...

To emulate the Back button on the Fire TV remote assign the clear key from the ORtek.

To emulate the Home Button on the Fire TV remote assign the Browser command from the ORtek. It is also the upper left key on the remote. The "e" with a circle around it.

On my Harmony One I assigned Home to the Menu key and Back to the Exit key. Neither were being used for the ORtek device.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DEVELOPMENT
    Connect Using ADB:
    https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/connect-adb.html

Install APKS:
    https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html

APPS Working:
    Adobe Flash with Firefox *Thanks destinal*
    Allcast - Reported
    CBS - Reported
    Charter TV - Reported by Me
    DirectTV App Tablet/Phone - Reported
    Dish Anywhere - Reported
    Dropbox - Works but you cant install apk this way
    Firefox *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    Remote. Media Center TV *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    ES File Explorer *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    MLB TV Premium *FireTv Version* Bypass Restrictions
    MX Player *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    AirReceiver *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    HBO GO *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    TimeWarner App *Thanks georgieff*
    WWE Network - Works
    Xbox Music - Reported
    Xfinity TV Go - Works - Reported
    Xtralogic Remote Desktop Client- Reported

XBMC Versions that work
    Frodo XBMC
    SPMC 12.4.2 *Thanks Koying from XBMC* Download
    SPMC 12.4.2 Launcher Edition *Thank to mastafunk* Download
    XBMC for Ouya 12.3.2 - Download
    Gotham XBMC
    XBMC 13.1 *Thanks Koying from XBMC* - Download

APPS NOT Working:
    Popcorn Time - Reported - Needs Mouse, video very choppy

Live TV with HomeRun Prime:

Ouya Store on Fire TV: Instructions

IPTV Server Setup on Fire TV: Instructions

Emulators:
    ePSXe for Android - Reported
    FPse for Android - Installs but reports that the controllers arent registering correctly - Reported
    Snes9x EX+ - Reported

Hardware Working:
    Keyboards/Mouse
    Logitech K320 - Reported
    Logitech K400r - Reported
    Logitech K520 - Reported
    Logitech K750 - Reported
    Logitech K800 - Reported
    Logitech MX5500 - Reported
    Lenovo Mulitimedia Remote N5902 - Reported
    Hausbell Mini H7 2.4GHz Wireless Entertainment Keyboard with Touchpad for PC
    Mele Pro F10 - *Thanks MejDam*
    DiNovo mini - Keyboard works but no mouse *Thanks DealLQ* - Reported
    FAVI Entertainment SmartStick Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse - Reported

Controllers
    Xbox 360 Wired - Reported
    Xbox 360 Wireless with Dongle - Reported
    PS4 Wired - Buttons map incorretly FIX
    Ouya Controller - I have tested
    Madcatz Mojo (with dongle) - I have tested
    Moga Controller - Reported

MCE Remote Contro
    ARtec VRC-1100 - Reported

Video Formats:
    720p - Works - SPMC, XBMC for Ouya, gotham release
    1080i - Works - SPMC, XBMC for Ouya, gotham release
    1080p - Works - SPMC, XBMC for Ouya, gotham release

My SPMC Audio Settings:
    DTS%20Settings_thumbnail.jpg

Audio
    DTS: Works (SPMC and XBMC FireTv Version through HDMI and through optical audio)
    Dolby Digital: Works (SPMC and XBMC FireTv Version through HDMI and through optical audio)

Loseless Audio: have these options disabled under system - audio - disable DTS-HD and TrueHD else you'll get nothing but static. DTS-MA files will passthrough as DTS and TrueHD files will be in stereo

Custom Splashscreen

Custom Splashscreen by elmerohueso
    elmerohuesoSplash.jpg

Full Picture
    authors link: http://s2.postimg.org/6zlxaix93/Splash.png

Custom Splashscreen by reaven
    reavenSplash.jpg

Full Picture
    authors link: http://oi59.tinypic.com/2mi409g.jpg

How to Install splash screen:
    move splash.png to platform-tools folder then run the command for your version of XBMC

For XBMC on Ouya Version:
    adb push splash.png /sdcard/Android/data/tv.ouya.xbmc/files/.xbmc/media/splash.png

For SPMC Version:
    adb push splash.png /sdcard/Android/data/com.semperpax.spmc/files/.xbmc/media/splash.png

For Regular XBMC (gotham v13) Version:
    adb push splash.png /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/media/splash.png

Different Launcher
    firelauncher-1.jpg

Modifications on FIre TV
    Root - HERE

Auto boot to XBMC
    AutoPilot - Download
    Once Installed, launch Application and select your XBMC version from the list of apps. Reboot and done.

Block Updates
    You Need to have a Router that is capable of URL Blocking and block the following address.
    http://firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com/
    Spoof Installed location - Thanks to Koying
    adb install -r -i com.amazon.venezia <apk file>

What Doesnt Work
    VC1 decoding - Amazon Doesn't support it
    HD audio (DTSMA and TrueHD) - Android Limitation
    24fps - Android Limitation

Take A ScreenShot Credit to htpcforall
    adb shell screencap -p /storage/emulated/legacy/Pictures/Picture.png
    Why are you even posting that if your sig says you wont help ppl root? because you think you're cool? LMFAO

I wish reading comprehension was focused on more in today's educational establishments. Let me help you with that.

Do NOT email me asking for help rooting your device.

The "Do Not email me" part indicates I don't wish to receive email on the subject.

I posted an image, because I am preparing the package for release right now.

*edit*
    I see you edited your original rude comment,

Why post that if your sig says you wont help ppl root =/ its a slap in the face!

No, slap in the face is the entitlement and rudeness I get from people like you, simply because I don't want personal emails on a subject that could be handled with a PM, or a public forum post.

Instead of waiting for me to finish a releasable, easy to use exploit for it (which I am working on from my hotel room right now), you decide to jump on me for a simple request regarding email in my signature.
    @OP

Please use SPMC 12.4.2 ( http://filez.semperpax.com/5r4ln85l ) instead of 12.3.3 if a Frodo build is preferred for XBMC.
    12.4.x is based on Frodo 12.3 and fixes a nasty video decoding bug.

[EDIT]
    Also, to avoid confusion, it's probably best to remove the reference to "XBMC on Ouya". It's basically the same as SPMC 12.3.3 (which was created because Ouya had to remove DTS/AC3 decoding due to licensing), so superseded by SPMC 12.4.2, too.
    :good: Looks like it has its own section to me:

http://xdaforums.com/fire-tv