[How To] Flash ICS ROMs with S-ON Unlocked

Search This thread

Limewirelord

Feb 8, 2012
This only really applies to those with S-ON Unlocked, HBOOT 1.45.0013. Once we figure out how to get S-OFF on all phones, this guide will become unneeded! In the meantime, this is here for those of us that are S-ON but want to play with ICS. :)

THIS TUTORIAL ALSO APPLIES TO ANY CUSTOM ROMS THAT REQUIRE A CUSTOM KERNEL.

If you're S-ON LOCKED, go HERE and UNLOCK your phone!

I'm assuming you have
  • Fastboot set up as a PATH, or copied to the folder you are extracting boot.img to
  • HTC Drivers installed
  • Clockwork Recovery

1.) Grab your ROM of choice.
2.) Open up your ROM in 7zip or another file compression program.
3.) Extract the "boot.img" file that's inside to a folder.
4.) Open the command prompt and go to the folder you extracted the "boot.img" file too.

lT7K0.jpg

"cd" in the command prompt stands for "change directory", so you will need to type that before the path to where your boot.img file is located.

5.) Reboot your phone into fastboot mode. To do this, turn off your phone by holding down the "Volume down" and "Power" buttons until the fastboot screen arrives. There should be three Androids on skateboards on the bottom.
6.) Press the power button once on the "fastboot" option. Your phone should now connect to the computer and it should say "fastboot usb" on your phone.
7.) In the command prompt, type the following command:
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
8.) Assuming you've done everything properly, this will overwrite the existing kernel on your phone with the kernel that comes with your ROM.
9.) Now, reboot your phone into Recovery. At this point, flash your ROM by flashing the zip file.
10.) Reboot and enjoy your new ROM!

Thanks to Blue6IX for telling me how to do this and to yogi2010 for making me realize I forgot to tell people to actually flash the ROM itself. Figured I'd make a guide for those that didn't know about it since it's probably hidden somewhere underneath pages and pages of comments on other ROMs.

Last edited:

757VaPtown

I'm also lucky the phone I purchased off Craigslist was root able.

Sent from my HTC myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium

xzuhto

Jan 27, 2009
Indianapolis
Will this method work for all of the ROMs we have here for the mt4gs? One I have been looking at is Bulletproof. If I use the same technique you've explained, will I get the same end result?

manimmal

Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in Florida
Just got a MT4GS a couple days ago. It was updated to 1.45.0013. I read up to see that it couldn't be S-OFF'd or rooted due to locked bootloader..."oh crap!". Searched more and ran into this... "hells yeah!" Worked like a charm! Now running Pyr-o-ice desensed...awesome stuff! Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Higg777

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
YESSSSS!!! But got damn I can't wait until S-OFF is a reality. This sucks lol but its better than having Tmobile take over ym phone with retarded apps. Thanks to all you DEV dudes who work hard for this device..

We'll nail it eventually. It's a tough nut to crack, but at least along the way we found a temporary fix.

We can now go back to S-ON from S-OFF, and the standard response to how to do that for the longest time was 'it's not possible'. Anything is possible with the right amount of effort invested. I am sure we'll come up with some more goodies along the way...some are brewing even now.

I've made S-ON to S-OFF my life's work until it's done, and have mostly given up on everything else I was working on to achieve that end.

There are a few other devs who have been spending a lot of time on this as well, and we are working together and unraveling the issue one layer at a time.

We'll get it, but it's the toughest nut to crack - the manufacturer is doing whatever they can to prevent us from being able to do so...there is a specific effort to block us from doing it that must be overcome.

Meantime, since we don't have a real RUU for this phone on any software version, the search for one came back with the leaked copy of the OTA as an official signed HTC package. ( To me it seemed like a consolation prize after the exhausting search for an RUU...didn't get one, but got at least this )

I'm glad someone went ahead and made a guide for people to use it to at least get unlocked since HTC broke the OTA they actually pushed over-the-air, this package is what it was supposed to be.

Hang in there, we'll get all you guys S-OFFed as soon as we can!

mrbmg

Nov 14, 2010
Midlothian, TX
Y'all are doing a kickass job man. I'm sure once this phone is all the way opened up and dev see that, it will gain more publicity. I unlocked my phone with the htcdev.com, but haven't loaded up a rom yet. All I've really done is uninstalled a few bloatware apps, but can't wait until I can have total access to everything and see what this badboy has to offer.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium

Reactions: d3athb4dishonor

CoNsPiRiSiZe

Jul 14, 2010
Roseville
First off: Thanks are due across the board, as well as to the man who made the .exe Noob-proof app it helped a little bit and worked great

Second: Okay.. I recieved a warranty replacement..new HBoot. following this guide I did all required.

UPON using fastboot command to boot the boot.img it reboots and starts to boot up PyroIce 1.1.2..... which you say isnt right since i need to flash the ROM again in Recovery..

If i Do that it wont boot again and hangs on the MT4GS splash screen, i think it is actually due to the fact that i also flash the adreno drivers patch, but i am not going to try and tinker with it.

bottom line, working... thanks so much guys :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ok.. noob question, can I flash boot after flashing custom rom?

I've seen that boot.img is where the kernels are, and I've seen that to flash an ICS ROM in that thread that in order to flash an ICS ROM on a MT4GS you need to flash a kernel after the ROM, in the form of a boot.img.

So I'll say, hesitantly, "yes".

Unless, of course, you meant something else. That, or, I misunderstood something somewhere...

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

First off: Thanks are due across the board, as well as to the man who made the .exe Noob-proof app it helped a little bit and worked great

I don't know about the dot-exe but I'll agree nonetheless.

Second: Okay.. I recieved a warranty replacement..new HBoot. following this guide I did all required.

UPON using fastboot command to boot the boot.img it reboots and starts to boot up PyroIce 1.1.2..... which you say isnt right since i need to flash the ROM again in Recovery..

If i Do that it wont boot again and hangs on the MT4GS splash screen, i think it is actually because i also flash the adreno drivers patch, but i am not going to try and tinker with it.

bottom line, working... thanks so much guys :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I don't know much about the whole ROM thing and Android in general. I come from G1 land, where everything was easy :D. You just flash the ROM and you're done. However, if I understand correctly, here you just flash the ROM you want (ICS whatever) and then the kernel (boot). Did I miss something along the way?

I would think that the kernel should be no different conceptually than the one in Linux (or Windows, or OS-X, or...). It's the interface between the software packages ("Android", plus the apks, framework, all that) and the hardware. So really, I don't see why any ROM shouldn't work as long as your kernel has everything the ROM needs to interface with the hardware and the framework has everything the ROM needs to interface with the software (or the software with the kernel). Do I understand correctly?

[EDIT]
I just reread that... you booted the hboot via fastboot instead of writing it to the phone first... which I guess is smarter than what I did -- cus if it won't work at least you don't brick it that way. Do you have a link to the howto for that? I'm sure it's simple and easy, I just have never done it...
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This only really applies to those with S-ON Unlocked, HBOOT 1.45.0013. Once we figure out how to get S-OFF on all phones, this guide will become unneeded! In the meantime, this is here for those of us that are S-ON but want to play with ICS. :)

THIS TUTORIAL ALSO APPLIES TO ANY CUSTOM ROMS THAT REQUIRE A CUSTOM KERNEL.

If you're S-ON LOCKED, go HERE and UNLOCK your phone!

I'm assuming you have
    • Fastboot set up as a PATH, or copied to the folder you are extracting boot.img to
    • HTC Drivers installed
    • Clockwork Recovery

1.) Grab your ROM of choice.
    2.) Open up your ROM in 7zip or another file compression program.
    3.) Extract the "boot.img" file that's inside to a folder.
    4.) Open the command prompt and go to the folder you extracted the "boot.img" file too.

lT7K0.jpg

"cd" in the command prompt stands for "change directory", so you will need to type that before the path to where your boot.img file is located.

5.) Reboot your phone into fastboot mode. To do this, turn off your phone by holding down the "Volume down" and "Power" buttons until the fastboot screen arrives. There should be three Androids on skateboards on the bottom.
    6.) Press the power button once on the "fastboot" option. Your phone should now connect to the computer and it should say "fastboot usb" on your phone.
    7.) In the command prompt, type the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    8.) Assuming you've done everything properly, this will overwrite the existing kernel on your phone with the kernel that comes with your ROM.
    9.) Now, reboot your phone into Recovery. At this point, flash your ROM by flashing the zip file.
    10.) Reboot and enjoy your new ROM!

Thanks to Blue6IX for telling me how to do this and to yogi2010 for making me realize I forgot to tell people to actually flash the ROM itself. Figured I'd make a guide for those that didn't know about it since it's probably hidden somewhere underneath pages and pages of comments on other ROMs.
    We should just get you and Blue moderator status lol

This thread's been reported!

And thusly stickied. Voila!
    probably worth stickying for a while till we get to know how to downgrade to an s-offable state?
    YESSSSS!!! But got damn I can't wait until S-OFF is a reality. This sucks lol but its better than having Tmobile take over ym phone with retarded apps. Thanks to all you DEV dudes who work hard for this device..

We'll nail it eventually. It's a tough nut to crack, but at least along the way we found a temporary fix.

We can now go back to S-ON from S-OFF, and the standard response to how to do that for the longest time was 'it's not possible'. Anything is possible with the right amount of effort invested. I am sure we'll come up with some more goodies along the way...some are brewing even now.

I've made S-ON to S-OFF my life's work until it's done, and have mostly given up on everything else I was working on to achieve that end.

There are a few other devs who have been spending a lot of time on this as well, and we are working together and unraveling the issue one layer at a time.

We'll get it, but it's the toughest nut to crack - the manufacturer is doing whatever they can to prevent us from being able to do so...there is a specific effort to block us from doing it that must be overcome.

Meantime, since we don't have a real RUU for this phone on any software version, the search for one came back with the leaked copy of the OTA as an official signed HTC package. ( To me it seemed like a consolation prize after the exhausting search for an RUU...didn't get one, but got at least this )

I'm glad someone went ahead and made a guide for people to use it to at least get unlocked since HTC broke the OTA they actually pushed over-the-air, this package is what it was supposed to be.

Hang in there, we'll get all you guys S-OFFed as soon as we can!
    Will this method work for all of the ROMs we have here for the mt4gs? One I have been looking at is Bulletproof. If I use the same technique you've explained, will I get the same end result?

yep, it will work!