[Q] CAMERA crash!

Search This thread

eechykombbo

Jun 20, 2011
Is anyone still having problems with the camera?
I just came back from holiday and I noticed that the app would crash regularly under the following circumstances:

1. open camera app
2. turn off screen
3. open camera through the lock screen widget
4. screen goes black for about 30s (long enough to miss "the moment") then the home screen is displayed with the message "Unfortunately, Camera has stopped".

It would crash maybe 80% of the time. Very frustrating when you're on holiday.
Since I've been back, I've tried flashing new software and resetting factory settings (both done at a Samsung store by "experts").
I also sent away for repairs. They apparently did the same thing I tried in store. When I got it back I was still getting the same problem, but now only about 40% of the time.

I'd love to flash a new rom, but if the issue is because of hardware I don't want to void my warranty just yet.

cameracartwright

Dec 15, 2012
I has very similar issue sounds like hardware. the camera module on s4 are solderd on and can become slightly loose causing this issue. I may be wrong but I tried all you did too but got it exchanged in the end. If factory reset and flashing stock firmware doesn't fix it has to be hardware.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

milkywayer

Nov 14, 2011
Same issue on International S4 i9500

I've been facing the same 'rare' camera crash -> reboot issue on my Galaxy S4 international edition.

It happens like 1 out of 5 times when trying to launch the camera. I see a black screen / freeze and then the phone reboots.

Today though, My phone got 2 OTA updates 300mb+ 50mb ... and both stead 'stability updates' ... and I'm still on 4.2.2 so hoping the updates fixed it. I'll confirm if i dont see any crashes in a week now.

anmolgoel

Sep 15, 2013
Help!

Does it say "warning;camera failed" ? And are you loading the camera from the lock screen or home screen?

I have this same error. I had a rooted i9500 with everything working perfectly but I formatted it due to some bugs. I updated it with the latest firmware manually, and rooted it using the same method as earlier, now I get this error like you described.

Do you have a fix? I'm sure its not hardware issue as it was working fine until 2 days ago.

Thanks!

sandinos

Sep 28, 2011
If you have message "Camera failed"...
First of all try this: Open Camera app from the "Application manager" and do "Clear data", then restart the phone.
Second: Do a Factory reset (of course save your data!).
Third: Reinstall Android OS.
If this not help you, you have a hardware problem. You need to change the camera.
---------------------
Video tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nzetqisty0

Last edited: