Audio output reviews and opinions

Search This thread

Simma

Jul 30, 2010
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I've got the same problem. it's only audible in certain songs, mainly during parts with lots of bass and with the volume above 75%. no matter if it's flac, mp3, bought from online stores, bandcamp or ripped by myself from vinyl.
it's not happening on an s3 with boeffla sound and my Sansa clip zip with Rockbox.

I'm also getting small sound glitches when adjusting the volume. anyone else?

Last edited:
Reactions: IRKONIK

Duncan1977

Mar 31, 2013
www.head-fi.org
Hmm...

I think I've answered this for BOTH XDA and Head-Fi...

Listening to tracks that are prone to distortion on the M8 on both the N9005 and iPhone 5S (which really do sound quite poor compared to the M8 in terms of dynamics / power!) the same distortions are apparent there too, albeit a lot quieter (due to less volume / headroom) - so, I'm now thinking it could just be that the M8's headphone out is 'that good' that it highlights poorly encoded iTunes+ / self ripped FLAC / .WV files...

I will cross post this to both forums, so that others who hear these distortions can try this out for themselves - to listen very carefully and see if they can hear same anomalies on other players / phones...

So, might just be a case of too much of a good thing (quality / power) is actually a bad thing (and could've obviously affected the M7 too, seeing that HTC implemented the same amp design there too), which means I was deluding myself yesterday saying changing regional settings seemed to lessen the effect - Placebo huh...

Bright side though, other than picking up on poor quality rips / masters, this cements my thoughts that the M8 and Sennheiser IE800 combo is pretty darned great, and highlights that the 5S and N9005 are pretty humdrum sounding :)

Edit:

Simma, I will say that I DO have volume control issues, that it doesn't go up / down smoothly (sounds very 'stepped'), which can exaggerate the sound of distortion if you catch it at the wrong time!!

Last edited:

Dsoto87

Jun 7, 2010
I Can honestly say the m8 is as good or better in battery life. I dont have any data to back it up, but in my everyday heavy to moderate use I can easily go 24 hrs before needing a charge.

Lol no way. I love the m8 more than any phone I've ever had but the g2 trumps the one in battery life noticeably. I know we all love this phone but let's not let that blind us when giving advice.

chrisrj28

Apr 26, 2008
Sacramento, CA
The T-Mobile version is missing their headphones again just like last year smh. Anyone willing to part with theirs as I like the stock ones

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

daddydark

Jan 20, 2012
Lol no way. I love the m8 more than any phone I've ever had but the g2 trumps the one in battery life noticeably. I know we all love this phone but let's not let that blind us when giving advice.

Sorry you disagree friend, But from my usage I can go 24 hours of what i call moderate to heavy use, chromecasting netflix while web surfing browsing and downloading apps and so on and believe me when I say 24 hours.
Everyone uses their device differently so feel free to share your experience. By the way this thread is about audio.

pritamsl

Dec 6, 2008
Hi, I just tried the viper mod to try and get my internal speakers a bit louder. I chose the high quality setting and thought it made the sound worse. It seems that "boomsound" keeps working and interferes with Viper. Anybody know how I should set the settings to get audio that's a bit louder but sounds just as good out of the speakers? Will using Viper result in much worse battery?

Also, I let viper change my LPA settings in the build.prop. Could someone please let me know what the original lpa.decode and tunnel.decode values were? Thank you.

Sckank

Jul 7, 2010
Florø
Sorry you disagree friend, But from my usage I can go 24 hours of what i call moderate to heavy use, chromecasting netflix while web surfing browsing and downloading apps and so on and believe me when I say 24 hours.
Everyone uses their device differently so feel free to share your experience. By the way this thread is about audio.

I agree too, M8 is actually better, especially in G4. And the audio quality is also much much better on headphones even with the same DAC. Even with the Fiio E11 connected to the G2 M8 sounds better which really surprised me. Wow.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Duncan1977

Mar 31, 2013
www.head-fi.org
Same old issue...

Okay, so - have been sat here quietly for the past week, working out in my own mind placebo from fact when it comes to the audible distortion, and got it nailed...

The One M8 essentially has the same problem as the Galaxy S4 (and other handsets) - long thread about it here...

Quick fix is a volume attenuator (a crude version would be an inline volume control, just to add resistance - raise volume handset and lower volume control to your own requirements / tolerances) - a more elegant solution would be an inline amp (FIIO E6 for example) - this fixes it perfectly (but means more things to carry around...

I hope this helps someone somewhere :)

Reactions: CaptShoe

wf-17

Jul 20, 2013
I'm not happy with audio output when I use it as an aux in my car! the bass is really high and annoying also the voices are sharp, I don't know why it is like this even thought I used to have One X and it was great especially with the beats On.

Hope there is a way to fix it with new updates, but with the songs seems to be amazing with any headphones or earpads

@home

Feb 16, 2009
I had the note 3 and that had excellent sound quality through the earphones, but the m8 buried it, so much so I've sold the note 3.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Dsoto87

Jun 7, 2010
I'm not happy with audio output when I use it as an aux in my car! the bass is really high and annoying also the voices are sharp, I don't know why it is like this even thought I used to have One X and it was great especially with the beats On.

Hope there is a way to fix it with new updates, but with the songs seems to be amazing with any headphones or earpads

It's boom sound. When something is plugged into the headphone jack you can disable it in the settings menu

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Review

I gave my thoughts on audio experience in this video if your interested

running pandora, audio was clear through the car dock, boomsound EQ overwhelmed my systems bass capabilities with M7 settings on the bose head unit, had to adjust down the bass , if i had a dedicated sub and clipped the low levels to the 6x9's up front i dont think it would have even with max vol. after turning down the base level on the head unit it sounded as good or better than M7, or One-x w/beats EQ. no complaints over all just some re adjusting for the new EQ to match the car.

front speakers were loud and deep for their size, very impressed with their low level capabilities. the low volume was low enough for night listening both through head phones and int speakers.

my only question comes down to the head phones it came with, they sound good but feel like cheap plastic crap and are styled to look like fake beats by dre buds. why even include them in the box? i think its safe to say that if you are going to buy a flag ship device and care about head phones at all, you probably have a favorite pair of head phones already. just seamed pointless to cheapen the included equipment with BS ear buds...

You might be the only person who complains about getting free things. I'd rather have the "alright" earbuds (I definitely use better ones) as a backup than not have them at all. I was overall satisfied in the few instances where I used my M7 earbuds considering they're just included earbuds that are typically awful from most other OEMs.
    I have only one complaint about the audio output.

When I'am using the phone with the Beyerdynamics dt 770 ohm headphones it sounds great till like 75-80% volume ( using neutron / in the stock player like 3 ticks from max volume). At around that percentage I can hear some clipping/popping sounds.

I didn't experience this with the iphone 5s. The problem is, the volume might be good enough for normal lower ohm headphones, but the loudness at about 75% is lower than max volume at the iphone 5s.

Can this be fixed by an update or is it a hardware problem?
    I'm a mod over at Head-Fi, using Sennheiser IE800s with the M8 and have this too...

Can I ask where you're based, am wondering if this could be an EU volume cap thing (as others don't hear this at all)...

I've changed in build.props the region to '1' (which the speakers are set to), and it seems to 'help', but not totally cure the popping...
    running pandora, audio was clear through the car dock, boomsound EQ overwhelmed my systems bass capabilities with M7 settings on the bose head unit, had to adjust down the bass , if i had a dedicated sub and clipped the low levels to the 6x9's up front i dont think it would have even with max vol. after turning down the base level on the head unit it sounded as good or better than M7, or One-x w/beats EQ. no complaints over all just some re adjusting for the new EQ to match the car.

front speakers were loud and deep for their size, very impressed with their low level capabilities. the low volume was low enough for night listening both through head phones and int speakers.

my only question comes down to the head phones it came with, they sound good but feel like cheap plastic crap and are styled to look like fake beats by dre buds. why even include them in the box? i think its safe to say that if you are going to buy a flag ship device and care about head phones at all, you probably have a favorite pair of head phones already. just seamed pointless to cheapen the included equipment with BS ear buds...

Judging by the fact that every review about the stock M7 & M8 buds have been met with nothing but praise seems to disagree with this comment. You'd be surprised how many people use the stock buds, and base their opinion on audio quality having used only the stock sets. It is a good thing in my opinion and I hope HTC continue to include headsets.
    Same old issue...

Okay, so - have been sat here quietly for the past week, working out in my own mind placebo from fact when it comes to the audible distortion, and got it nailed...

The One M8 essentially has the same problem as the Galaxy S4 (and other handsets) - long thread about it here...

Quick fix is a volume attenuator (a crude version would be an inline volume control, just to add resistance - raise volume handset and lower volume control to your own requirements / tolerances) - a more elegant solution would be an inline amp (FIIO E6 for example) - this fixes it perfectly (but means more things to carry around...

I hope this helps someone somewhere :)