Latest Update 5/6/2014

Search This thread

darkuni

Sep 12, 2010
Couple notes:

- Root didn't survive the update. SuperSU's survival mode failed. I did not have to roll back root to update though.
- Powered by Android appears on the start up.
- Gamestreaming connectivity was lost; you'll have to reauthenticate to your PC.

Anyone find anything else "unlisted"?

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I was hoping this would fix the emulator slowdowns, but has not. The CPU fix impacts battery life and would rather the device work as intended without doing a "fix". Exception being the sd card fix, since that is a Must.

darkuni

Sep 12, 2010
I am new to the SHIELD community, could you please link me to the fix and maybe explain in a few words what this fix fixes? Thanks

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix

Essentially, KitKat prevents apps from WRITING to the SD card unless the app is the one that created the folder to begin with.

So let's say you have:

\sdcard\roms\n64

... on your SD card where you keep all your Nintendo 64 roms (insert standard piracy disclaimer here).

Your N64 emulator can no longer WRITE to that folder. Why does this bite? Well most emulators use the rom folder to unpack ZIPped roms, store save states, configuration per game - that sort of thing. Suddenly, after installing KitKat - these emulators start acting weird or outright crashing because they can't write where they used to be able to.

You could have a folder of .DOC files in

\sdcard\docs\

Your Polaris Office could open the files there, but if you edit them, you can't save them back.

You can extrapolate this to just about every app.

The KitKat fix linked above will make it work the way it used to work - so you don't have to change, update, or alter anything.

It does require ROOT access of course.

Reactions: Martin-Doc

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
what Emulator slowdowns do you mean?

All of the Broglia emulators slow down. He says it is the Nvidia update, but all I know is they play better than Retroarch and the other options. Better performance and options. They play great as if with 4.2.

Shield does what I need, so no harm no foul as is :)

Would like console mode though.

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
I tried Snes9Xex, MD,emu and GBA.emu and have no slowdown at all, works perfect for me.
I do notice some slight skipping though when camera scrolls in game, but maybe that's just me..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Shield RAM's ROOT method appears to work fine with this update.

KitKat SD card fix has to be reapplied.
    Couple notes:

- Root didn't survive the update. SuperSU's survival mode failed. I did not have to roll back root to update though.