[Q] Help with "Internal Error" message CM11 email

Search This thread

cecr

Mar 1, 2013
Hi guys

Kindle Fire HD 7, 2012 model
I know this may not be the best forum to ask this question (or even the best site), but I've searched the internet for help, and been to the Cyanogenmod site unsuccessfully.

I moved over to CM11 a week ago and I like it! (thanks to everyone who posted help and advice, tutorials etc on this subject, and to those who posted in response to problems I had)

The one problem I'm having with CM11 is "Internal Error" message I get from the ROM's email app. It only happens when I check my Gmail accounts, and only when I browse the non-system folders (ie ones I created myself). The app is also not synching correctly either so that the folder contents in my accounts are different from that shown in the app.

My other non-Gmail accounts don't have any errors and appear to sync correctly.

Nb, this is NOT the Gmail app I'm talking about, it is the app that comes with CM11. The Gmail app appears to work ok, but obviously only shows Gmail accounts and I don't want to use different apps for different accounts.

I've tried CM11 snapshot 6 & 7 and both are the same. Even tried a couple of nightlies. The only similar problem I saw on the CM site was for CM10, and the OP updated the ROM and it solved the problem.

I've tried K9 and Aqua mail but didn't like the interfaces, and don't see why the ROM app wouldn't work.

Anyone any ideas on what to do? I've obviously tried clearing the cache as well as deleting the accounts and adding again to no avail.

(Ironically, one of the big incentives to move from stock was because of the difficulties I had in syncing the calendar and contacts.... those work perfectly in CM11, almost instant updates, but the email is just as big a problem )

cecr

Mar 1, 2013
The Gmail app has been having issues, for some, for over a week now. This is probably what's going on. It's a Gmail synching issue not a CM issue.

Thanks for your response LE, but I don't think it is a Gmail issue. I don't see any problems with my desktop that accesses GMail via client software, and there are no problems with the other android apps I've looked at simultaneously with the ROM app. All the other apps correctly access the account without any errors, but I think I have a clue as to where the problem lies.

To allow my desktop SW Mozilla Thunderbird to display the account folders correctly, there is a "IMAP server directory" which is named [Google Mail] it's enclosed in square brackets. Without this entry, all folders, both system and personal are put under a folder called Google Mail, although personal folders don't always show up. Generally, the IMAP communication between GMail and Thunderbird seems a bit dodgy, and I'm not sure where the fault lies.

So, when I look in the app, I see the system folders, no problem, then at the bottom is the [Google Mail] folder where my messages lie. Tapping on that folder brings up the rest of my folders, but also the Internal Error. The app seems to have a problem with that folder. Other apps I've tried behave normally, but instead of displaying the folders simply as a folder list, eg

Folder 1
Folder 2 (and nested inside)
Sub folder 1
Sub folder 2 etc

They display as
[Google Mail]/Folder 1
[Google Mail]/Folder 2
[Google Mail]/Folder 2/Sub folder 1
[Google Mail]/Folder 2/Sub folder 2
[Google Mail]/Folder 3
[Google Mail]/Folder 3/Sub folder 1
[Google Mail]/Folder 3/Sub folder 1/Sub-Sub folder 1
[Google Mail]/Folder 3/Sub folder 1/Sub-Sub folder 2
[Google Mail]/Folder 3/Sub folder 2

etc

A messy display that takes up lot of display space and makes finding a particular folder hard. The folders can't be collapsed, they are displayed as shown, even when for example, Folder 2 is a holding folder for the sub folders inside, and contains no files itself, it is still shown.

Obviously it looks like differences in IMAP implementation between GMail and various clients, but I can't be alone in this. Thunderbird has a reasonable user base and I've looked at 5 or 6 android apps that display the folder paths as above.

I've also just found that for some reason the ROM app won't show pictures inside mails, and they're attached either. I tap on the icon to show the picture but the icon changes without showing the picture. Anyone experience this?