[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter - [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel]

Search This thread

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
This is a root injected FACTORY Stock I317 Odin Flashable Image. You flash this in Odin just as you would the completely stock ROM from samsung. I've simply injected the su binary and SuperSu app so you now have rooted stock image.

4.3 Image Notes: With 4.3 images, KNOX is removed in order for root to stick. This will flag the Knox counter. Once you flash one of these 4.3 images you now have the latest factory stock bootloader, radio, etc. Flashing a prior bootloader can hard/soft brick your device. Please read and understand what you are doing.

You can get ODIN here
and the drivers for the SGH-I317 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

Instructions:
First, Download Image:

ATT Rom
January 2013 JB 4.1.2
Mirror 1: root66_ATT_I317UCAMA4.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
Mirror 1: root66_ATT_I317UCALJ2.7z
Mirror 2: root66_ATT_I317UCALJ2.7z
Image supplied by Kirbo20. Please thank him for his time in getting the stock image to me.

Bell Rom
December 2013 JB 4.3 - New!
Download: root66_BMC_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
Download: root66_BMC_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
Mirror 1: root66_BMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z
Mirror 2: root66_BMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Telus Rom
Download: root66_TLS_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
Download: root66_TLS_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
Mirror 1: root66_TLS_I317MVLALJ2.7z
Mirror 2: root66_TLS_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Rogers Rom
Download: root66_RWC_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
Download: root66_RWC_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
Mirror 1: root66_RWC_I317MVLALJ2.7z
Mirror 2: root66_RWC_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Sasktel Rom
Download: root66_BWA_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
Download: root66_BWA_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
Mirror 1: root66_BWA_I317MVLALJ2.7z
Mirror 2: root66_BWA_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Virgin Rom
Download: root66_VMC_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
Download: root66_VMC_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
Mirror 1: root66_VMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z
Mirror 2: root66_VMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Second, Extract and Flash:
Extract the root66_xxx_I317MVLALJ2.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_xxx_I317MVLALJ2.tar.md5 you downloaded.
Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
click start and
when done let phone reboot.
If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Optional, Recovery (will trip counter):
It seems loading any custom recovery will trip the download mode flash counter. Loading a non stock recovery will also prevent you from successfully applying any OTA updates however here is a procedure for any who want a non-stock recovery:
Currently I see TWRP has support for this device so the instructions here will install that recovery.
Option 1: Download GooManager from the Play store. Once installed click the menu and select "Install OpenRecovery Script".
Option 2: Download the TWRP recovery image here. Copy it to the /sdcard of your phone.
Connect your phone to your computer and use adb
type adb shell
once in the shell run su
then
dd if=/sdcard/http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/t0lteatt/openrecovery-twrp-2.4.4.0-t0lteatt.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9

Alternate if unfamiliar with adb commands
Grab android terminal emulator from the play store and run the same commands starting with su and then the dd command.

De-Bloater
If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with CWM or TWRP and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my mrRobinson Note II De-Bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM or TWRP like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Minimal and still get a decent de-bloat.​

Miscellaneous Files
CWM/TWRP Flashable OTA Update: I took the stock I317UCALK7 update.zip that was posted by reinbeau (thanks!) and simply made it flashable with a non-stock recovery preserving root through the process. I see nothing in here that would wipe data but did not test it myself.
Download: root66_OTA_I317_UCALJ2_to_UCALK7.zip

History:
I've injected root into other stock images and those threads have a lot of valuable information which could answer some questions that may arise here. If you have time to do some reading here are a few of the informative ones:
Samsung Galaxy S3 [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel ]
Samsung Galaxy S3 [TMO / Wind / Mobilicity]
Also did sprint and vzw but there isn't much there that won't be covered above.

FAQ
  1. Does this remove bloatware?
    A: No. It is same as stock, nothing is removed.
  2. Does this use an unsecured boot.img
    A: No. This flashes the stock boot.img in the ODIN image.
  3. If my flash counter has been tripped, and I flash this and reset the counter, will it stay at 0.
    A: Yes, as long as you don't then flash a non-stock recovery.
  4. More to come...

Last edited:

vincedoggy

Nov 10, 2010
Can I still using this method after rooted with Cf auto root? Just curious. Because just want to return to stock and have root. Mine is messed up somtime is show device is normal sometime is modified.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda app-developers app

jam-kun

Jul 20, 2009
Thanks so much for doing this for us Canadians! I see that the Telus version is now available via Kies and was wondering if you could also do your magic for this firmware as well?

Edit: Just realized it's already in progress by you... thanks!!

Last edited:

alperin1

Nov 30, 2010
I am on ATT, would I use the Bell file? Or is ATT different?
Thank you for yiur work here.

vincedoggy

Nov 10, 2010
Can I request the Rogers stock Rom. AFTER flashing this device is still showing modified and learning hub is not working. I want to go back stock first to reset everything then root it. Thanks in advance.

androitri

Aug 23, 2011
If you have spare time, Can you also give us ATT/Rogers/Bell/Sasktel (unrooted) flashable firmware via Odin ? Since we need it to back to stock unrooted...

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
I could post but let me be clear. There are exactly two files different from pure stock here. /system/app/Superuser.apk and /system/xbin/su

If you open Supersu and tell it to remove root and uninstall you are 100% stock. There is zero difference. So quite a waste to put up another 700+mb file for 2 files that total maybe 1mb.

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
Can I request the Rogers stock Rom. AFTER flashing this device is still showing modified and learning hub is not working. I want to go back stock first to reset everything then root it. Thanks in advance.

This DID reset everything to pure stock. The only thing you would want to do is wipe data. This doesn't touch your data partition so to completely factory reset simply boot into the stock recovery. Do a factory/full wipe, then flash this. If you have already flashed this then simply do the wipe in the recovery and I'll guarantee learning hub starts working.

dbzgod

May 4, 2012

Posted a fix and reason why you've been locked out of learning hub in the Q and A thread you've posted in. Its explains how it happened and how to avoid it again. If all else fails then a wipe and reflash of Robbinsons rooted injected rom would be the next thing to do.

Sent from my SGH-I317M

Reactions: mrRobinson

vincedoggy

Nov 10, 2010
I already posted the problem in QandA but no solution yet. Will try this then report so others can avoid thus happen. Thx.

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
I already posted the problem in QandA but no solution yet. Will try this then report so others can avoid thus happen. Thx.

What dbzgod posted is a solution. To simplify, if you flash what is in this OP and no custom recovery with a data wipe you will not be modified and the apps will work. if you are coming from modified then just clear data in the apps as he said and you'll be fine as well.

As an aside, all the canadian variants root injection are up. Just waiting on ATT now.

scourge18a

Mar 16, 2008
Just curious then if this also includes the stock recovery?
I have CWM installed now and would need stock recovery if I am to fully return yo stock.
Thanks in advance. Really appreciate your work and time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a root injected FACTORY Stock I317 Odin Flashable Image. You flash this in Odin just as you would the completely stock ROM from samsung. I've simply injected the su binary and SuperSu app so you now have rooted stock image.

4.3 Image Notes: With 4.3 images, KNOX is removed in order for root to stick. This will flag the Knox counter. Once you flash one of these 4.3 images you now have the latest factory stock bootloader, radio, etc. Flashing a prior bootloader can hard/soft brick your device. Please read and understand what you are doing.

You can get ODIN here
    and the drivers for the SGH-I317 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

Instructions:
    First, Download Image:

ATT Rom
    January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Mirror 1: root66_ATT_I317UCAMA4.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_ATT_I317UCALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_ATT_I317UCALJ2.7z
    Image supplied by Kirbo20. Please thank him for his time in getting the stock image to me.

Bell Rom
    Download: root66_BMC_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Download: root66_BMC_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_BMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_BMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Telus Rom
    Download: root66_TLS_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Download: root66_TLS_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_TLS_I317MVLALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_TLS_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Rogers Rom
    Download: root66_RWC_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Download: root66_RWC_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_RWC_I317MVLALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_RWC_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Sasktel Rom
    Download: root66_BWA_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Download: root66_BWA_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_BWA_I317MVLALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_BWA_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Virgin Rom
    Download: root66_VMC_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Download: root66_VMC_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_VMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_VMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Second, Extract and Flash:
    Extract the root66_xxx_I317MVLALJ2.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
    Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
    once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_xxx_I317MVLALJ2.tar.md5 you downloaded.
    Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
    click start and
    when done let phone reboot.
    If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
    If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Optional, Recovery (will trip counter):
    It seems loading any custom recovery will trip the download mode flash counter. Loading a non stock recovery will also prevent you from successfully applying any OTA updates however here is a procedure for any who want a non-stock recovery:
    Currently I see TWRP has support for this device so the instructions here will install that recovery.
    Option 1: Download GooManager from the Play store. Once installed click the menu and select "Install OpenRecovery Script".
    Option 2: Download the TWRP recovery image here. Copy it to the /sdcard of your phone.
    Connect your phone to your computer and use adb
    type adb shell
    once in the shell run su
    then
    dd if=/sdcard/http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/t0lteatt/openrecovery-twrp-2.4.4.0-t0lteatt.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9

Alternate if unfamiliar with adb commands
    Grab android terminal emulator from the play store and run the same commands starting with su and then the dd command.

De-Bloater
    If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with CWM or TWRP and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my mrRobinson Note II De-Bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM or TWRP like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Minimal and still get a decent de-bloat.​

Miscellaneous Files
    CWM/TWRP Flashable OTA Update: I took the stock I317UCALK7 update.zip that was posted by reinbeau (thanks!) and simply made it flashable with a non-stock recovery preserving root through the process. I see nothing in here that would wipe data but did not test it myself.
    Download: root66_OTA_I317_UCALJ2_to_UCALK7.zip

History:
    I've injected root into other stock images and those threads have a lot of valuable information which could answer some questions that may arise here. If you have time to do some reading here are a few of the informative ones:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel ]
    Samsung Galaxy S3 [TMO / Wind / Mobilicity]
    Also did sprint and vzw but there isn't much there that won't be covered above.

FAQ
    1. Does this remove bloatware?
      A: No. It is same as stock, nothing is removed.
    2. Does this use an unsecured boot.img
      A: No. This flashes the stock boot.img in the ODIN image.
    3. If my flash counter has been tripped, and I flash this and reset the counter, will it stay at 0.
      A: Yes, as long as you don't then flash a non-stock recovery.
    4. More to come...

And tomorrow I'll post the rooted versions of them all. :thumbup:
    I noticed the Rogers and Sasktel hit Kies. Others should follow.
    I317mvlbma3

Well here are links to NON ROOTED stock roms for the new Canadian build.

Canada open- I317MVLBMA3_I317MOYABMA3_VMC.zip
    Bell - I317MVLBMA3_I317MOYABMA3_BMC.zip
    Sasktel - I317MVLBMA3_I317MOYABMA3_BWA.zip
    Telus - I317MVLBMA3_I317MOYABMA3_TLS.zip
    Rogers - I317MVLBMA3_I317MOYABMA3_RWC.zip
    WHAT THE HECK DID YOU DO!??!?!

ARE YOU A WIZARD OR SOMETHING??!?!

I had rooted my i317M to restore a TiBu and it broke OTA. I was not aware of this! Oh well, I don't REALLY need root, I said, I just want to go back to stock! I tried all the tutorials to restore stock from having used CF-autoroot, but they all failed for me.

BUT NOW I HAVE ROOT AND "NORMAL" device status.
    WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?
    An OTA will likely break root, right? I don't really care, though.

Where do I donate?

When an ota comes out you can use voodoo ota rootkeeper to retain root. Or I can edit it to keep root itself and you put my modified one on your sdcard.
    I don't take donations. Send what you might have to the EFF or something instead since it's relevant to what we do.