[Q] Another way of updating, is this possible?

Search This thread

Rubecula

Dec 31, 2013
Today I heard T-Mobile rejected the update, which means I'll have to wait some more time. As I'm not very pleased with that I thought I would just root my SP and change the build.prop. However I don't really like to root my 'new' phone... Maybe I'm to cautious, but just don't like to take risks with something that costs me €300. And my data would be gone right? It is just too much of a hassle.

But now I figured out another way. However, I'm not sure if it will work and as I said I don't really like to take the risk. So I hope someone can tell me whether this will work or not.

What I do is intercept the request PCC makes to check if there are updates, modify the customization number and pass it through. The customization number I changed it to has already an update available, so PCC says that there is a new update available. Now I don't have the guts to actually click 'update', because I don't know if it will actually install the right way... maybe I break my phone with this or would it just install the update and will I be done?

In steps:
  1. Download and Install WebScarab (At the end you can keep clicking next, but it won't do anything... just click quit it's installed)
  2. Navigate to the folder where it is installed and start it
  3. On the tab 'Intercept' check the box before 'Intercept requests'
  4. Open PCC and connect the phone
  5. Open PCC settings, click the 'proxy-settings' button or something like that
  6. Check 'manual proxy configuration' and fill in the adress '127.0.0.1' with port '8008'
  7. Close all the dialogs
  8. Click 'This phone/tablet is up-to-date' to let PCC check for updates
  9. WebScarab will now intercept the request and a window for that will pop up
  10. Click on the 'raw' tab in that window and in the url change the 'cdfId' from 1272-4709 to 1272-4902
  11. Voila... New Update available.... but will it work when I actually click install?

Rubecula

Dec 31, 2013
Yes I suppose I could do that, but this just seems less risky to me. However I could be totally wrong.

Do I need root or unlocked bootloader for flashing by the way? I think this is a piece of cake for you guys, but I never rooted or flashed so how high are the risks to break your phone?

Still the main question remains: Will it work if I do it as mentioned above?

headbon3

Mar 12, 2012
Davao Del Sur
Yes I suppose I could do that, but this just seems less risky to me. However I could be totally wrong.

Do I need root or unlocked bootloader for flashing by the way? I think this is a piece of cake for you guys, but I never rooted or flashed so how high are the risks to break your phone?

Still the main question remains: Will it work if I do it as mentioned above?

Works 100% as if you have with the official method. Just complete the pre-requisites such as the FTF file (firmware), Flashtool, flashtool drivers, enabling USB debugging on phone (IMPORTANT!) and a windows machine. There is no risk of damaging the phone, if the unfortunate happens..you can just repeat the flashing process;)

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another option is to download another ftf file. Like Central Europe and flash this one with Flashtool.