[Dev Kernel] 2.6.29 Support for ext2/ext3/ext4/yaffs2

Search This thread

otrhodox

Aug 9, 2010
mounting the /data partition as ext2 does not gain any speed. Done it, seen it.

either you go for the loopback solution, or the external sd solution.

Surely you mean mounting /data as ext2 is no faster than the existing loopback or external ext2 solutions, right?

Otherwise why on Earth does the loopback solution work at all? (RyanZA proved it was mostly due to a 4k block size on the fs, as I understand it.)

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
Unfortunately, I'm still failing to boot with my own progress. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

andars05

Jul 15, 2010
Surely you mean mounting /data as ext2 is no faster than the existing loopback or external ext2 solutions, right?

Otherwise why on Earth does the loopback solution work at all? (RyanZA proved it was mostly due to a 4k block size on the fs, as I understand it.)

I'm confused about this as well. Does this mean that the ext2 file is just acting as a buffer?

mekwall

Feb 3, 2010
Sweden
I'm confused about this as well. Does this mean that the ext2 file is just acting as a buffer?

A loopback device will use RAM as a buffer when writing/reading to/from it. I still cannot get how it can be so much faster even when writing/reading large amounts that exeeds available RAM... Maybe it has to do with that RFS thinks it's only one big file so there's not as much overhead as with a bunch of smaller files. Just a theory ;)

andars05

Jul 15, 2010
Okay, thanks!

Does this mean though that the I/O problem is hardware related then? mimocan stated that formatting the internal partition as ext2 didn't speed anything up. If I'm understanding this correctly, changing the filesystem from RFS to something else will not fix the I/O problem.

Last edited:

mekwall

Feb 3, 2010
Sweden
Okay, thanks!

Does this mean though that the I/O problem is hardware related then? mimocan stated that formatting the internal partition as ext2 didn't speed anything up. If I'm understanding this correctly, changing the filesystem from RFS to something else will not fix the I/O problem.

Exactly. This is why using an ext2 image is the best option (might even be the real permanent option) until we can see some kind of driver that will make more use of the RAM when buffering.

andars05

Jul 15, 2010
Thanks once again!

How is it that when using tools like "Benchmark" from the Market phones such as the Nexus One have slightly slower read/write times, but writes files much faster? Eg.

Galaxy S:

Total file system score 70.81754
Creating 1000 empty files 41.438 sec << Why are these so high?
Deleting 1000 empty files 29.886 sec <<
Write 1M into file 3.5855145 M/sec < and why is this faster, even though creating the files is slower
Read 1M from file 138.88889 M/sec

Nexus One:

Total FS score 58.733284
Creating 1000 empty files 11.523s
Deleting 1000 empty files 8.169s
Write 1M into file 1.8835939 M/s
Read 1M from file 116.27907 M/s

Is it just that the N1 has a driver that helps to buffer the writes with the ram?

Last edited:

mekwall

Feb 3, 2010
Sweden
I can only speculate. Probably it has to do with the nature of the RFS implementation (driver) and how it handles caching/buffering of small files. It shouldn't perform that bad, so hopefully Samsung will find a solution.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

thomas_d_j

May 5, 2010
Ok, so what filesystem does the internal SD use currently? Would it help if we change that to EXT4?

The /sdcard partition is apparently vfat:

Code:
# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/block/stl11 /cache auto llw,check=no,nosuid,nodev
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data auto llw,check=no,nosuid,nodev
/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata auto llw,check=no,nosuid,nodev
/dev/block/stl9 /system auto llw,check=no
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw
(null) /sd-ext auto rw

Code:
# mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,noatime 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:9 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

I guess that (vfat) helps with compatibility for USB access, assuming it's a straight pass-through. But it's a pretty outdated filesystem and maybe that goes some way to explaining why my LOST.DIR folder is steadily filling up.

Even forgetting about speed, it would be nice if /sdcard could be a journaling filesystem like ext3. Anyone had a play with that?