[HTC] Prevent WP7 from Relocking

Search This thread

thesecondsfade

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime
This is discussed elsewhere, but deep within other threads, so I wanted to give it it's own thread to help people in finding out how to prevent Zune from relocking WP7 devices. It only works on HTC devices for now because TouchXplorer only works for HTC devices.

1. Install TouchXplorer
2. Install HTC Connection Setup
3. Download and extract this zip file to your PC.
4. Deploy the extracted XAP to your device
5. If XBMOD.Files.Deployer does not automatically run, run it from your App list on your device.
6. Using TouchXplorer on your device, copy \My Documents\My Ringtones\CustClear.provxml to \Windows\
7. Run HTC Connection Setup on your device, hit the ok button (with the check mark) to let it provision.
8. You're done.

If you unlock with ChevronWP7, apply this hack, and then for some reason your phone relocks, refer to DanielNTX's post to get it unlocked again. You need to install a new certificate, provided on his post.

All credit goes to xboxmod and his HTC Registry Editing thread and HTC WP7 Apps thread.

Last edited:

julianpitt

Mar 10, 2008
Melbourne
This Didn't work for me, had finally got it unlocked, came back 3 hours later, connected with this installed and also with flight mode on and now my phone's relocked. Make sure to block Windows Mobile Zune Communication Service from your firewall, while that was blocked it didn't relock

Reactions: arkatis and Rouz.

thesecondsfade

Jul 30, 2009
I tried this before and it didn't work. It revoked every application I had downloaded.
What type of device do you have?
Yeah I had this done for a while but my question is can I uninstall the program once I've done everything else? It looks ugly in my app list =/
You can uninstall it. The provxmls stay in the My Ringtones folder.
This Didn't work for me, had finally got it unlocked, came back 3 hours later, connected with this installed and also with flight mode on and now my phone's relocked. Make sure to block Windows Mobile Zune Communication Service from your firewall, while that was blocked it didn't relock

I don't bother with flight mode or any of the other tweaks and it still works for me. What device do you have?

htakahasyd5

Mar 8, 2007
Thanks. This works well. Finally, I don't need to unlock everytime after zune syncing.

Do you think this patch will be removed by MS at the next update as well as chevron unlock?

poceh

Sep 25, 2007
Sofia
www.poceh.com
After applying this patch there are 2 files in the My Ringtones dir - one of them is restoreCustClear.provxml file, which means it will revert the registry changes done by the first provxml file (custClear.provxml).

Do you think that if I activate my phone the Marketplace will start working as usual - downloading any apps without the error "can't get info right now... come back after a little while" , AFTER I've installed the above patch for not relocking the phone? I.e. in other words can I side-load apps and simultaneously continue to use the legacy Marketplace without any problems?

Last edited:
Reactions: zfemx

thesecondsfade

Jul 30, 2009
After applying this patch there are 2 files in the My Ringtones dir - one of them is restoreCustClear.provxml file, which means it will revert the registry changes done by the first provxml file (custClear.provxml).

Do you think that if I activate my phone the Marketplace will start working as usual - downloading any apps without the error "can't get info right now... come back after a little while" , AFTER I've installed the above patch for not relocking the phone? I.e. in other words can I side-load apps and simultaneously continue to use the legacy Marketplace without any problems?
Yes, you can sideload and download from the Marketplace simultaneously. I do it now on my HD7. It should be the same with an activated HD2.

arkatis

Dec 24, 2008
Cyprus-Nicosia

I am just about to do this until i saw this! :confused:
Please confirm that this hack works! :D

PS: Unlocked my device yesterday and now it's still unlocked.. I downloaded and deployed youtube, shazam and other stuff without problem.. Strange though cause every one had this problem after unlocking and sync with Zune...But I don't!
So...do i have to make this hack or not? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

-WP7User-

Aug 31, 2010
Zurich
This method works like a charm! Thank you! I can now synchronise my phone with Zune without the phone getting relocked by Zune :D

Just love it!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is discussed elsewhere, but deep within other threads, so I wanted to give it it's own thread to help people in finding out how to prevent Zune from relocking WP7 devices. It only works on HTC devices for now because TouchXplorer only works for HTC devices.

1. Install TouchXplorer
    2. Install HTC Connection Setup
    3. Download and extract this zip file to your PC.
    4. Deploy the extracted XAP to your device
    5. If XBMOD.Files.Deployer does not automatically run, run it from your App list on your device.
    6. Using TouchXplorer on your device, copy \My Documents\My Ringtones\CustClear.provxml to \Windows\
    7. Run HTC Connection Setup on your device, hit the ok button (with the check mark) to let it provision.
    8. You're done.

If you unlock with ChevronWP7, apply this hack, and then for some reason your phone relocks, refer to DanielNTX's post to get it unlocked again. You need to install a new certificate, provided on his post.

All credit goes to xboxmod and his HTC Registry Editing thread and HTC WP7 Apps thread.
    This is from my thread in the HD2 forums: For those who can't unlock anymore using ChevronWP7, here's why!
    I wrote this inside of another thread, but decided to make a new thread because others may not find it or read it. For those who have tried everything, this is the reason why you can't unlock the phone unless you do a full reset:

The majority of the failures to unlock your phone again is because you used a registry script that changed the HD2 to identify it as an HD7 and may have included registry entries that set PortalUrlProd and PortalUrlInt to 127.0.0.1 or a Null value and somehow your phone became relocked. Once it's set this way, no matter what you do to unlock the phone it won't work because the proper server to query is "developerservices.windowsphone.com" is not defined on the phone. ChevronWP7 works by hijacking and spoofing the address of developerservices.windowsphone.com to be your local computer and then responds appropriately over port HTTPS (443) to the phone. If you set it to 127.0.0.1 in the registry this references your phone when it tries to unlock. The phone itself is not running a spoofed HTTPS server so it will never work. Setting it to null means it doesn't no where to go either. If your phone is working in Zune and you hit the end button on the phone, you will notice ChevronWP7 will report that the phone is pin-locked, this means ChevronWP7 knows about the phone, but the "uh oh - Please make sure it's connected using USB, Please start the Zune application" message it generates is kind of ambiguous and is not the actual error we are seeing here.

The original values are these:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DeviceReg]
    "PortalUrlProd"="https://developerservices.windowsphone.com/Services/WindowsPhoneRegistration.svc/01/2010"
    PortalUrlInt"="https://developerservices.windowsphone-int.com/Services/WindowsPhoneRegistration.svc/01/2010"

and the corresponding certificate is this:
    chevroncert.jpg

That's how the phone can trust the HTTPS connection because you imported the certificate.

Now if you change the URL to something else, you will need a corresponding certificate. You can make one with makecert.exe or makessl.exe form the various resource/development toolkits out there on the Microsoft website.

In my example, I'm going to use a site that doesn't exist "developerservices.unlock.me". You should change the PortalUrlProd and PortalUrlInt on the phone as follows:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DeviceReg]
    "PortalUrlProd"="https://developerservices.unlock.me/Services/WindowsPhoneRegistration.svc/01/2010"
     "PortalUrlInt"="https:/developerservices.unlock.me/Services/WindowsPhoneRegistration.svc/01/2010"

Now in your hosts. file in \windows\system32\drivers\etc folder, you should set up an entry for developerservices.unlock.me with your computer's own IP address.

Once you do you need to install a new certificate on the phone for whatever host in the URL you made and you will be able to use ChevronWP7 to unlock incase it ever locks you out again.

To simplify the making a self-signed certificate portion, I've created a cert for "developerservices.unlock.me" with the validity date of 1000 days. It's included in this post. Hope this helps you all with maintaining an unlocked Windows Phone 7 and understanding why ChevronWP7 won't unlock anymore.

Brilliant

Works flawless on my HD2 :)