[Q] Need Help! Tried rooting my Note 3 for the first time and now very inoperable

Search This thread

baileynapier

Mar 26, 2014
To start this off im going to say that i am very new to Android devices, ive owned my Note 3 (The AT&T SM-N900A one) for nearly three weeks now spending time researching on rooting and the methods, etc. Well i just tried to and didnt quite have much success.

I followed this guide and its steps very thoroughly. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2559715

Yet it all ended with it booting up looking like new but nearly every 3 seconds errors appear about processes crashing and trying to stop, for example "Unfortunately, Direct pen input has stopped."

After that failure i went ahead and tried to undo it which probably wasnt a good idea, i followed this tutorial: http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-unbrick-att-galaxy-note-3-sm-n900a/.

I ended up at the exact same place, same error over and over. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you.

(I apologize if this had been brought up before i went searching but found nothing that was a solution to my problem.)

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
To start this off im going to say that i am very new to Android devices, ive owned my Note 3 (The AT&T SM-N900A one) for nearly three weeks now spending time researching on rooting and the methods, etc. Well i just tried to and didnt quite have much success.

I followed this guide and its steps very thoroughly. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2559715

Yet it all ended with it booting up looking like new but nearly every 3 seconds errors appear about processes crashing and trying to stop, for example "Unfortunately, Direct pen input has stopped."

After that failure i went ahead and tried to undo it which probably wasnt a good idea, i followed this tutorial: http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-unbrick-att-galaxy-note-3-sm-n900a/.

I ended up at the exact same place, same error over and over. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you.

(I apologize if this had been brought up before i went searching but found nothing that was a solution to my problem.)

Have you performed a factory data reset since the last attempt?

Reactions: baileynapier

the2rrell

Jun 27, 2011
Yes i have,a few times, it just then reboots with the setup and that error still occurring.

That error is a bugger to get rid of, if you even can. i had this happen and had to return my device to the store. BUT that was before we had a working back to stock MJ5 solution.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2559715

If you were on MJ5 this will get you back to out of the box stock with or without Root, its up to you.

i have used this twice and has worked smoothly both times, just make sure you download the files needed and follow the steps.

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
That error is a bugger to get rid of, if you even can. i had this happen and had to return my device to the store. BUT that was before we had a working back to stock MJ5 solution.

If you were on MJ5 this will get you back to out of the box stock with or without Root, its up to you.

i have used this twice and has worked smoothly both times, just make sure you download the files needed and follow the steps.

That is the method OP used to get root....

OP, you should have used Kingo... Now you will have to redo that whole process just to restore back to stock. You had a bad flash or a bad download.

Sent from my SM-N9005A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

baileynapier

Mar 26, 2014
28248965 286a

That was the method that originally got me into this situation and i just tried it again step by step and i am still having the issue.

One thing that has caught my eye is that this was my devices information before ever trying any rooting process or anything:

MODEL NUMBER: SAMSUNG-SN-N900A
ANDROID VERSION: 4.3 (Jelly Bean)
BASEBAND VERSION: N900AUCUBNB4
KERNEL INFO -
3.4.0-1625098
se.infra@R0301-01 #1
Mon Feb 10 21:13:28 KST 2014
BUILD NUMBER: JSS15J.N900AUCUBNB4
SELINUX STATUS: Enforcing

Is there any possible way to get it back to being a BNB4 device like the information above?

the2rrell

Jun 27, 2011

OP, you should have used Kingo... Now you will have to redo that whole process just to restore back to stock. You had a bad flash or a bad download.

tis the reason i directed him back to that thread. i know they are working on a easier odin flash to return to stock in another thread. dont know why he was using that to get root, but he will now need to use it to get booting back to normal again.

anyway, apologies for not being more clear.

so to sum it all up, redownload the files in case you got a bad one and repeat the process my good sir.

baileynapier

Mar 26, 2014
tis the reason i directed him back to that thread. i know they are working on a easier odin flash to return to stock in another thread. dont know why he was using that to get root, but he will now need to use it to get booting back to normal again.

so to sum it all up, redownload the files in case you got a bad one and repeat the process my good sir.

Okay, thank you guys very much but its back to functioning properly! :victory:

Now am i just trying to accomplish a root, but that doesnt seem to be working, after i put the root de la vega files onto the sdcard SuperSU never installs upon restart, why is it not auto-installing like it seems to be expressed as in the tutorial?

EDIT: Okay guys, nevermind about the root, i just used Kingo.

Last edited:

jerrycoffman45

Sep 19, 2011
ashland ky
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Now am i just trying to accomplish a root, but that doesnt seem to be working, after i put the root de la vega files onto the sdcard SuperSU never installs upon restart, why is it not auto-installing like it seems to be expressed as in the tutorial?

use kingo 1.1.8 it is a lot easier

XiphoneUzer

Nov 30, 2013
ive owned my Note 3 (The AT&T SM-N900A one) for nearly three weeks now spending time researching on rooting and the methods, etc.

How did you NOT find Kingo right away?
What kind of research did you do for 3 weeks? lol
Well, I'm glad you're good to go now. The devs on this site are exceptional and you are lucky to have them. (me too).

wherestheanykey

Sep 1, 2009

EDIT: Okay guys, nevermind about the root, i just used Kingo.

So how did you get it back functioning properly? I am at the same point. I bricked my N3 screwing around with getting Face Unlock to work. So I followed the steps of Restore for MJ5 post, and immediately upon the final boot into setup, the Direct Pen Input error started, and makes the device useless. What fixed yours?

dakrucial1

Jun 12, 2014
Re-download all the files and retry. Also, verify the size. I think you may have a corrupt file somewhere.

Rukbat

Feb 15, 2012
Fayetteville NC
And factory reset after installing a ROM, even if it's the same ROM you had. Any ROM, on any phone, not just this one. Different ROMs store data in different locations, and if a ROM picks up the data from a previous ROM, that may bot be the data it wants, so it causes things to crash.

wherestheanykey

Sep 1, 2009
Ok thanks for the replies. I actually tried a factory reset after seeing the error, but it didn't help at all. And I did run a checksum on the only file that displayed a number, when I originally downloaded the files. But as would be expected, after all simple efforts to fix the issue failed, I started fresh on a whole different PC, downloaded all of the files again, used a different USB cable, and installed everything all over again. And low and behold, the second time was a total success. I can't explain what made the difference, and the checksum result showed an accurate download both times. But this is the nature of the beast isn't it?

Thanks,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thank you.

Have you performed a factory data reset since the last attempt?