Windows 8 Consumer Preview for Shift - Any Hope?

Search This thread

PlayStation

Jul 22, 2008
I have seen the minimum requirement for running Windows 8 Consumer Preview as follows:

•1 GHz or faster processor
•1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
•16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
•DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

(http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/...-consumer-preview-system-recommendations.aspx)

As far as I can see the biggest limitation is the 1 GHz processor as the Shift has a measly 800 Mhz clock speed. I dont know about the DirectX 9 graphics card.

Has anybody to install the latest Windows 8 Consumer Preview on the Shift. I happy with Windows 7 but if 8 is useable and performs better I would be happy to upgrade......

Reactions: orb3000

JaWe

Feb 22, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I just installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview and it seems to be much smoother and faster than Windows 7. Only problem is Metro apps need at least 1024x768 resolution to run. I also needed to replace ResolutionSwitchLauncher.exe (C:\Program Files\HTC\ResolutionSwitchLauncher.exe) with this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=438768
because for some reason I couldn't install .net framework 3.5

Reactions: PlayStation

PlayStation

Jul 22, 2008
I just installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview and it seems to be much smoother and faster than Windows 7. Only problem is Metro apps need at least 1024x768 resolution to run. I also needed to replace ResolutionSwitchLauncher.exe (C:\Program Files\HTC\ResolutionSwitchLauncher.exe) with this:

Whaooh nice. Is everything else working nice and smooth. What about the resolution changer? Did you have to manually install the Windows 7 drivers like we did from Vista to 7. By the way can you upgrade the preview directly from 7 to 8 or it has to be a clean install.

Please consider doing a short write up/how to install 8 Consumer Preview..... :p

rizwan327

Nov 22, 2009
Installed Win 8 Consumer Preview and it works like a charm

I have installed Win 8 Consumer Preview using the instructions posted on XDA for Developer preview and didnt face any issues.
Everything works smooth and it is much slicker and smoother than developer preview.

If you try updating directly from the microsoft site it downloads an installer file and it stops after it detects that the ****s processor is les than 1 GHz and asks you to upgarde it. The alternative to this is.

1. Down load the iso image onto your shift (make sure you are downloading the 32 bit one)
2. Extract the contents of the iso image using 7zip or Win Rar
3. Dont run the setup.exe on the root folder instead navigate to the folder named "sources".
4. Inside this file you will find a setup.exe file, just run it and you are done (ensure you are on mains power else the set up will get stopped at one point, also make a note of the Serial Key from the microsft site as you will as)
5. Select the option-2 (one which is at the bottom) after you run the setup.exe.
6. There will be couple of restarts and you are done.
7. As expected after complete installation you dont have the wifi and touch set up and you need to this manually. (just follow the steps exactly in the same sequence mentioned in the link in the post above this).

You are done and enjoy your HTC Shift with windows 8 consumer preview.

kruger.killer

Aug 17, 2007
W8 on shift

I have W8 consumer preview installed on my Shift and everything is working.

-if you want metro apps, you must change the resolution (not good)
-sometimes it won't detect my SD card (maybe I have faulty one)
-if I restart or wake shift, wifi isn't working (must go to shagctrl and turn it off and on again, then it works)
-consumer preview is slower in start and a bit slower in use than developer preview

lucid

Dec 8, 2005
Amsterdam
www.reperion.com
Got the consumer preview running. The default apps (mail,contacts.calendar)
are horrible :) Very sluggish and many options missing. Hope they improve.

On a side note : Cannot even find option to NOT USE SSL for exchange 2003 server.

It has potential though, the new tile based stuff is nice for our shift.

dony71

Dec 1, 2010

-if I restart or wake shift, wifi isn't working (must go to shagctrl and turn it off and on again, then it works)
-consumer preview is slower in start and a bit slower in use than developer preview

mine won't detect sd card as well
since marvel wifi on sdio, then it won't be detected also

Reactions: abid

jay6700

Dec 8, 2007
If you've installed consumer preview, could you please post how you got wifi working? the marvel wifi device is found in windows 7, and the developers preview, but it's no where to be found on consumer preview, so no wifi or no consumer preview seem to be the only options I can find as of now.

jay6700

Dec 8, 2007

I fixed the driver for sd, and wifi.

You need 2 files from the old releases, sdbus.sys and dumpsd.sys. You need to put them in this path: c:\windows\system32\drivers\

Files needed:
http://nasomi.com/sdbus.sys
http://nasomi.com/dumpsd.sys

To replace them in release preview, it's tricky.
1. Have them on an sd card from the old version, i'll upload them for those that want when I get a chance.
2. right click on desktop, new, shortcut. type cmd, click next, ok.
3. right click on the shortcut, hit run as administrator
4. type: takeown /f c:\windows\system32\drivers\sdbus.sys and hit enter
5. type: takeown /f c:\windows\system32\drivers\dumpsd.sys and hit enter
6: type: cacls c:\windows\system32\drivers\sdbus.sys /G jay:F <note that jay is my username and you will have to replace ONLY that portion with your login name.
8: type: cacls c:\windows\system32\drivers\dumpsd.sys /G jay:F <same as above, replace jay with your login
9. you should now be able to replace the old files when you drag them over and click overwrite/replace
10. restart.

Reactions: lucid

lucid

Dec 8, 2005
Amsterdam
www.reperion.com
Got Wifi to work, SD Card Still Code 10

You need 2 files from the old releases, sdbus.sys and dumpsd.sys. You need to put them in this path: c:\windows\system32\drivers\

Files needed:

1. Have them on an sd card from the old version, i'll upload them for those that want when I get a chance.
6: type: cacls c:\windows\system32\drivers\sdbus.sys /G jay:F <note that jay is my username and you will have to replace ONLY that portion with your login name.
8: type: cacls c:\windows\system32\drivers\dumpsd.sys /G jay:F <same as above, replace jay with your login
9. you should now be able to replace the old files when you drag them over and click overwrite/replace
10. restart.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

I got Wifi to work with your instructions. However, I still get code 10 on the SD Card in device manager.
I repeated the instructions twice.

The driver errors out, and has some text about SDSTORE.INF

JHope you can help, the Shift is now almost 100% functional !

Reactions: jotasan and pmcall

haojun1720

Jul 20, 2010
thanks

yes, the wifi works upon copying two sys files following the useful instructions. only one problem: win8 is down while sd card inserted. thanks a lot for the wifi function. and if possible, any advice for sd card?

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

I got Wifi to work with your instructions. However, I still get code 10 on the SD Card in device manager.

Maxtermind

Dec 23, 2008
AT LAST, My WiFi WOKS, WORKS, WORKS

I have a HTC Shift x9500 (Clio 200). At last, after months searching, my wifi finally works too :victory:, and did it only changing sdbus.sys by an old version (I used the Windows 7 version). I was using an USB dongle, but no more. Like the others, the SD card doesn't work.

However, thank you very much for WiFi function. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got Wifi to work, SD Card Still Code 10

Files needed:

10. restart.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

I have seen the minimum requirement for running Windows 8 Consumer Preview as follows:

•1 GHz or faster processor
    •1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    •16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    •DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

(http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/...-consumer-preview-system-recommendations.aspx)

As far as I can see the biggest limitation is the 1 GHz processor as the Shift has a measly 800 Mhz clock speed. I dont know about the DirectX 9 graphics card.

Has anybody to install the latest Windows 8 Consumer Preview on the Shift. I happy with Windows 7 but if 8 is useable and performs better I would be happy to upgrade......

Files needed:

10. restart.