[DISCUSSION] Xperia S battery life

Search This thread

Dimitri.k

Apr 25, 2012
Toronto
Well my first Xperia S i got from the Sony store had the yellow tint issue & the battery would drain fast. It would be at 20% after 6 hours on heavy usage. Medium usage i would get around 8-9 hours. I sent the device in & they sent me a brand new one & this one seems to last longer. I go near 20hrs to a day with medium usage. Heavy usage i get around 15hrs which is pretty good for me without a charge. Both phones are running on .73. I have not gotten the ICS update yet here in Canada with Rogers..

tel033

Apr 4, 2012
Mine got worse still in. 75 cause ics seems worse and 15 hours or maybe 18 top but with 2g I have gsam battery monitor and go battery app don't know what else to do push only for whatsapp twitter and weather once an hour apart from that anything help!

Sent from my XPERIA S using XDA app

testadeferro

Feb 20, 2012
Porto
I use a app called cpu sleeper.
This app shuts the 2nd core off when screen is off and it spares the battery.
Another thing that takes much battery is google maps. just freeze.
Now with .452 my battery life is about 20 hours medium use.

18lama

Apr 24, 2012
Juice defender works really well.

Example

Y5tzC.png

With JD the phone is able to go into deep sleep like it should normally but it wasn't.

If you compare this screen shot to the ones that people have posted you will see a lot of CPU wake events occurring and a lot of blue strokes appearing in the image.

abajarde

Nov 28, 2011
use power saver

Had my beautiful white S for 24 hours now. Overall very positive, except battery life so far. Drained 23 % overnight from a 100% charge. In only 7 hours :( I had NO activity. BT and WiFi on.

I hope this will improve very soon. That is a no go. Would like to hear from you about your experience regarding your new Xperia S.

Sent from my LT26i using XDA

my phone use to do that too but you if you leave it on overnight while not really using it, then you need to just set a time saver. basically you tell your phone from which time to which you dont use it, ie go to sleep, and the phone will stop processing data, syncing and stuff. I leave it like that from 12pm until 8am and its awesome. only loses about 5 percent from when i left it, try it, its pretty neat and it activates by itself

utsav911

May 7, 2012
San Francisco
ICS - battery eater

Well,
Since ICS update the battery drain issue has started again.
On .75 GB my phone's battery lasted at least a day, but i don't know what's wrong with ICS?
battery drops nearly 25% during night without any use. It never goes into deep sleepmode.
I am really worried as i could only use the phone for 4-5 hours with full charge. :(

If anyone has solution please help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-31-11-04-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-31-11-04-38.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Screenshot_2012-07-31-11-04-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-31-11-04-46.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Screenshot_2012-07-31-11-05-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-31-11-05-02.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 190

Kyrius

Jun 11, 2010
Graz
First thing to do is to set brightness lower.Then all you need to do is read a couple of pages back where everything has been explained a few times already ...

Kyrius

Jun 11, 2010
Graz
well then, set the alarm manager to start when battery reaches 1% or better disable it, disable automatic synchronization, etc

and while i'm at it: secureclockservice was constantly keeping my XS awake so after i disabled it my battery life improved even further

Last edited:

kien

Apr 17, 2005
I disabled com.sonyericsson.android.awake but the number of wakes caused by this process still goes up!

Kyrius

Jun 11, 2010
Graz
i didn't notice anything wrong ... there is still one thing that is cosing wakeups but i can't find it in system/apps

utsav911

May 7, 2012
San Francisco
well then, set the alarm manager to start when battery reaches 1% or better disable it, disable automatic synchronization, etc

and while i'm at it: secureclockservice was constantly keeping my XS awake so after i disabled it my battery life improved even further

1. alarm manager to start when battery reaches 1% - Don't know anything about it :p
2. automatic synchronization, etc - Already disabled
3. secureclockservice disabled

Thanks for the help. :)

conalt

Jul 8, 2012
Cork
What juice defender profile or settings are you using?

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just did some tests on browsing time 15% brightness vs. 50% brightness and got some interesting results.

I did test in Dolphin with "tab reload" add-on set on 1minute. The site I was reloading was technobuffalo which is really heavy to load. But before testing brightness I was curious what is difference in battery usage desktop vs. mobile website on 50% brightness. And the difference was really obvious.

Desktop site was so power consuming, that the phone got a bit hot. And in 30 minutes it ate 15% of battery. So, 3 hours of browsing and only 10% to spare.

But luckily mobile sites are a lot friendlier. In 30 minutes 12% on 50% brightness, so 4 hours of browsing and 4% to spare. But the most interesting part was when I changed the brightness to 15% and I got the exact same results. 30 minutes 12%...

And then I wanted to isolate web browsing so I tried the same tests in airplane mode in case of mobile network eating battery.
    Without network connection half an hour of browsing mobile sites ate 10% of battery with 50% brightness. So, exactly 5 hours of browsing to 0%. But what happens with 15% brightness? Nothing much, 30 minutes 9%. That means 5 hours and 10% to spare, or 5 hours and 30 minutes and 1% left.

Is it really worth to hurt your eyes on 15%???
    Do you know what? It irritates me reading you people moaning about battery life, it's a high definition phone with an awesome screen, if you want your battery to last a few days, go get a cheap phone that does nothing but txt and calls:mad:

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium
    As I said I did battery tests with the new Jelly Bean in web browsing and video playback and I must say that difference is really really obvious.

I did the same tests as before with ICS and compared them.

All my tests in browsing were done in dolphin browser with auto reload plugin put on 1 min reload. Website I tested was TechnoBuffalo because it is quite a heavy load. Brightness was at 50%.

To quicky freshen up, my previous results with ICS are found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37103064 and I will include them for easier comparison.

In ICS browsing desktop pages was really battery consuming so the first test I did was this.
    Half an hour of reloading desktop version of TechnoBuffalo every minute did consume 15% in ICS. So in 3 hours 90% would be gone, not a very good result.

But in Jelly Bean the same test ate only 10% of battery. Pretty good improvment right? 1 hour 20% so 5 hours till the phone dies. Almost 2 hours of improvement which is really great.

screenshot2013-05-30-18-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-18-.png

And next is mobile version. My previous result on ICS was 12% in 30 minutes so in 4 hours you would be left with 4%. Not that good but at least better than desktop sites.

Result in Jelly Bean was so surprising that I had to redo the test once more, because I couldn't believe my eyes. In 30 minutes only 7% of battery was gone so 1 hour 14% and if we calculate, we get 7 hours with 2% to spare. WOW, right? This is whole 3 hours more which is pretty huge improvment.

screenshot2013-05-30-19-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-19-.png

And I got curious what would really heavy load do to battery usage. I did another test with the same mobile version but with 15 second reload which is pretty hard because it loads almost all the time. It loads the page and there it goes again.
    The results aro also pretty good. 10% in 30 minutes so basically the same as desktop site - 5 hours of browsing but I don't know who would load new page every few seconds in real life.

screenshot2013-05-31-01-.png
    screenshot2013-05-31-01-.png

Last test was video playback. I tried 720p video in mp4 and mkv to see if there is any difference. And I also tried if there is any difference between Sony's movie player and BS player. But in all tests I got the same result - 9% in half an hour. So 5 hours with 10% to spare. In ICS I got same 5 hours but with 0% to spare so some improvment is there but not that amazing as web browsing.

screenshot2013-05-30-22-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-22-.png

So Jelly Bean is a massive improvment in terms of battery usage comparing to ICS and I am really happy with it.
    You guys should've bought the Xperia SP, S is sooo outdated and weak

You're absolutely right, I should've hopped on my time machine, gone to the future, and gotten that phone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I m gone... stay with your beautyfull piece of ... and stay at least two years behind good technology... lol. Bye bye looser.
    |
    |

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Virgin detected.
    Fap less, read more.

Desde el celular.