[REQUIRED BY ALL] YOU ALL BETTER READ...NOW!!!

Search This thread

pcdebol

Feb 22, 2008
Great post. If I ever get time I was thinking about learning to cook some ROM's I do other dev work and it look's like it might be fun to play with. After seeing stuff people put on here this sure isn't a place I would start.

If anyone is doing dev work the only thing you should have to say to them is thank you. Even if you brick your phone. It's not their fault you didn't follow instructions or the carrier may have made a change in the device since they put their work out there for you to use. Research it before you do it and it will greatly reduce the chance of failure.

It's just like a few other hobbies I have if you want to play you better be willing to pay. Trust me a bricked cell phone is cheap compared to an exploded turbo.

DallasJones

May 6, 2011
Launceston
Somebody had to say this, thank you. I'd love to see our developers back. Almost all of the community appreciates their hard work, it's just a small percentage that ruins it for everyone.

DutchDanny

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2009
On Earth
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I did miss all that happend here, and think i'm glad I did.

I'm the "Lead developer" of BinDroid and as GSLEON3 did say, I don't do this alone.
I have a few other devs and themers & testers to make it all complete.
The BinDroid team is around 20 people from all over the Globe.

cyber_pete is my US partner dev, and working on your ICS build, and I help where needed.

We almost done.. And glad to inform you all that BinDroid is here to stay on Vivid.

This weekend the Sensation XE ROM is released, and soon after that, you will join the part.

So keep those heads UP and enjoy what is given to you by people who enjoy making this.

We do this for our own pleasure, and like to see you enjoy it to ;)

lebmb

Apr 3, 2007
Washington, DC
Follow up

to follow up on my previous post (page 2)
I ended up selling back the phone i got, couldn't deal with a device not running htc sense regardless of how much i loved the actual phone. so in a way Wild Child kinda had a hand in this so i decided to take the plunge and tried out his sense 3.5 rom and like i thought, it's exactly what i wanted so i'm sticking with it, i'll be here, i'm not crazy about ICS or sense 3.6 and up so i might stick with this rom for now, but doesn't mean i wont see something i wana play around with, after all that's what titanium backup and nandroid are for :)

Infinimint

Oct 8, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
twitter.com
Hahaha I've been waiting for GSLEON3 to take over forever :D

Great, Fair Guy, will be a Great Mod (again).

As for the devs, whatever's done is done. There's no point in holding grudges. Turn the cheek, and put it in the past. Don't make regrettable decisions like this. Is it better to do nothing and succeed or do something and stumble?

lostsoul3471

Nov 14, 2008
Louisville
1st and foremost:
Thank you devs, all of you, for all of your progress and support. Please, please, pretty-please come back! The Vivid is an awesome device and well worth putting through it's paces with ICS and Jelly Bean when it comes out. XDA is the place to come for all of it. The site hits the news ALOT when it comes to getting stuff in our grubby paws long before the carriers give their blessings. Because of that, expect traffic from every type of person that is capable of clutching a phone to come here, be it a tech-god(dess) or a complete ludite. We all need patience and respect everyone. Negative comments do nothing, squat, zilch in making you happy.

I came from the Nexus One and even there, there's some errant idiot posts and 99.9% got ignored because no time is even worth spending in making a reply. The N1's been around for 2+ years now and it was a niche product for the most part but it drove development. I picked the Vivid because without having to go to Samsung, this is a great phone with the potential of having a good long life. We're on the ground floor, it's only a few months old, and there are going to be hiccups along the way.

Admittedly, I've been running unlocked, rooted but stock standard since I got the Vivid. I'm still checking to see if I have a pulse as I used to flash a new build every couple weeks on the N1. That tells you that even with the bloat (that's been frozen) stock is still very good. But I want ICS. The poo hit the fan shortly after that and then everything was shuttered. It was disappointing and frankly stunning that it happened like that. We can do better than that. I know that I'm always supportive and will let the devs know if anything is amiss unless someone beat me too it--which happens more than not. 20 posts of the same thing isn't going to help. We're almost there. We're almost at the point where we can easily have a daily-use build that will be stable enough for the average Joe.

GSLeon, you couldn't do a better job of spelling it all out if you had team of speech writers on staff. And thanks for coming back!

alwayslearning

Dec 3, 2007
CA

I'm the "Lead developer" of BinDroid and as GSLEON3 did say, I don't do this alone.

cyber_pete is my US partner dev, and working on your ICS build, and I help where needed.

We almost done.. And glad to inform you all that BinDroid is here to stay on Vivid.

This weekend the Sensation XE ROM is released, and soon after that, you will join the part.

So keep those heads UP and enjoy what is given to you by people who enjoy making this.

way to go DutchDanny; I am so glad to have your team helping on such a great phone :D

moe3754

Feb 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I am so glad to see that you are here, your roms were permanent on my Inspire 4g and will be again on my Vivid when I take delivery, I cannot wait to see and use your great work again, Thank you for all that you do Danny!!!!:D

hv6478

Apr 14, 2009
I undoubtedly missed all of that commotion and I'm glad I did. It's simple: use it only if you have educated yourself about it, and if you haven't then don't complain about it, because if you had educated yourself, you wouldn't have a reason to complain.

Not to mention even if it wasn't a group of developers, why would you be disrespectful of anyone, especially when they're providing you a service and product, for FREE nonetheless!? Unbelievable.

On behalf of the honest and caring people here on XDA, I want to apologize to all that have been talked down to, rudely criticized or disrespected in any way, especially in regards to all the hard work they've done and continue to do. I really hope to see as many devs come back as we have room for, I mean without all of them we wouldn't even be here. XDA may not have even existed.

I'm not even a Vivid user, I have a Sensation. I'm looking to swap up to a Raider though (Canadian/North American name I guess?) and would love to see as much development for it as the Sensation has now. Hopefully we can help make that a reality. Thanks to the OP as well, hopefully your time and efforts will be worthwhile!

Edit: moe3754 and subsequently the BinDroid team, it's great to have you guys and we look forward to your work! Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: strose09

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm just coming over here from the Inspire section - getting a Vivid next week if all goes well. I've been coming to xda for years as a lurker, and registered quite some time ago. There has always been one thing that has been a major defining characteristic of this site - community.

I wholeheartedly agree with the mods decisions to generously throw down the banhammer when deemed even remotely appropriate so that we can curb the @#$% that is now plaguing this community.

We need devs here and we need them badly, very badly. It may be worthwhile to note that many Inspire owners may very well begin switching to the Vivid, as I am. So hopefully, more devs from that section make their way over here as time progresses....I hope. :)

HopelesRomantc91

Dec 2, 2008
HTC One (m7)
Samsung Galaxy S4
Wow, I had no clue what was going on here. I love my Vivid now that I have ICS on it, but there are still things I'd love to change about it, and I'll never get that chance without dev help. I'd like to think I'm pretty grateful in general, and I'd love for this forum to become great, because this phone is without a doubt one of the most powerful phones on the market, and I'd love to see what the devs here can do with it.

Reactions: thekalby

cannothas

Jan 22, 2011
Durango
Well Written

Look, I know I'm a noob user, and my thanks meter is zero. I am not able to contribute much to this, and I'll spare you all the reasons. I cannot agree more with this "book", article, thing, because I have been VERY EXCITEDLY following the CM9 progress since I got the phone in January. I have not seen anything from thecubed or pirateghost in relation to the vivid for about the last month or more, and that started when bickering and backstabbing flew off the handle in the dev thread for the CM9 Teaser. I hope they come back, along with any other devs who have left due to "family feuding."

I very much dislike sense, and still cannot wait to see CM9 on this phone.

About the only thing I know, besides how to put CM on my phone, is that the more devs we have working on it, the sooner we can all have "awesomeness"!

To all who have been, and are currently, working on developing on this phone, a huge "Thank You" because you make my phone work better!

Reactions: thekalby
Aug 1, 2009
Sacramento

Thank you DutchDanny Loved your Inspire 4G Rom

Thank you GSLEON3 This Forum has needed that for sometime now. I cant wait to see the new ROMS that can be made for the Vivid.

My Raider (vivid/holiday) is crying for love ... and I come to XDA not for the other members (Sorry!) but for the second part of the sites name: developers (I feel almost a Balmer urge to scream it dozens of times... with bit pit stains on my shirt...)
THAT digression being said ... I haven't been around much, because when I do come here, I see crying, whining, *****ing, moaning, etc and insults to dev's.

I'm hoping the Dev's will come back, and I we can get help with my our sweet device.

AndroidNomad

Dec 28, 2010
London
Stuck for on this for 3 days. Please help

Hi all,

I've searched the web and on this site but haven't seen this problem anywhere. I've tried a gazzilian things to no avail, that's why I'm posting to this great site and members as a last resort.

I'm a noob who learned to root but am not a flasher. I've unlocked and rooted many phones and now my HTC Raider. I bought it outright from Rogers, then unlocked and rooted it. 3 days ago I was installing a sound performance app (DPS) I think and it was taking forever so I abandoned it. Since then here is a list of issues.

Now the unit has relocked by itself.

Can't boot up, freezes on white HTC logo.

I can boot into HBoot but can't do anything there..recovery, factory reset, etc.., it returns to HBoot???

When I plug into the charger (when it's off) it automatically turns on into Hboot where I can't do anything anyway???

My PC doesn't recognize any SD cards, ried formatting them also, internal or external, so I can't reflash any Zips

I've tried many root tools I've found, nothing works. I'm now trying Hasoon2000's HTC Vivid All-In-One-Kit and still can't get anywhere.

Can anyone please help? I'm a total loss on this one.:(

AndroidNomad

Dec 28, 2010
London
QUIT holding people hostage over your WoRk before people stop coming and making this community what they made it today. GET REAL. NO one cares about your crying, ESPECIALLY when your holding your work over peoples heads. Get over yourself. ALL OF YOU need to get real. Talking about how you have to hold hands. DUDE THIS ISNT KiddyLand. Your talking to grown people that would take this as a threat in the REAL WORLD! This is NOT the real world, PAL! Take your work and go home, and DONT come back until you LEARN to stop THREATENING people, ESPECIALLY YOUR OWN COMMUNITY!

Thats all I have to say at the moment. Thanks guys

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

And quit telling your own community to use google when they need help. If they ask you something, answer it or dont put your work up! Child!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My goodness, what's all this about???

DutchDanny

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2009
On Earth
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hi all,

I've searched the web and on this site but haven't seen this problem anywhere. I've tried a gazzilian things to no avail, that's why I'm posting to this great site and members as a last resort.

I'm a noob who learned to root but am not a flasher. I've unlocked and rooted many phones and now my HTC Raider. I bought it outright from Rogers, then unlocked and rooted it. 3 days ago I was installing a sound performance app (DPS) I think and it was taking forever so I abandoned it. Since then here is a list of issues.

Now the unit has relocked by itself.

Can't boot up, freezes on white HTC logo.

I can boot into HBoot but can't do anything there..recovery, factory reset, etc.., it returns to HBoot???

When I plug into the charger (when it's off) it automatically turns on into Hboot where I can't do anything anyway???

My PC doesn't recognize any SD cards, ried formatting them also, internal or external, so I can't reflash any Zips

I've tried many root tools I've found, nothing works. I'm now trying Hasoon2000's HTC Vivid All-In-One-Kit and still can't get anywhere.

Can anyone please help? I'm a total loss on this one.:(

Try to relock your bootloader in fastboot.

CMD: fastboot oem lock
and then try to flash a HTC RUU

Reactions: AndroidNomad

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is gonna be a book post, so grab a drink, sit down & READ THE WHOLE THING!

Okay, I was a happily retired moderator with little time for babysitting & hand holding, but after nearly two decades of being involved with mobile development from Palm to the device & OS that really started this (Blue Angel PPC2002/PPC2003/PPC2003SE) I will be damned if I am going to let ANYONE ruin the major development repository for what is arguably the best device HTC has made to date. Yes, it was also the worst marketed & whomever handled the marketing plan for the Holiday Series should be selling used cars (Not that there's anything wrong with that, they were just obviously out of their league with the Vivid), however I digress.

I cook roms, I tweak things & talk & have help fix issues for more chef's than I can count. I don't do public releases & I stopped doing custom builds for Senior Members a long time ago. I am here purely for the advancement of mobile development, to learn & to help those that truly take the time to learn.

First things first, this is a development thread. If you are not a developer (I'm not, not really) you must realize that we are working with Alpha's, Beta's & sometime code & data from completely different device manufacturers. This means that there is a certain amount of inherent risk envolved, ALWAYS. This is evidenced & acknowledged by every single person that DECIDED to ignore the warnings issued by HTC as well as the developers here & agreed to the terms when they unlocked their device. "Unlocking your device is DANGEROUS & may VOID your warranty."

I own several devices, as do the former Dev's of this sub-forum. The reason we all are, or were, here is because we all agreed that despite HTC's fumble with the device, it is a fresh design from the rubberized slabs & plastic toys we've seen lately & the device is truly a powerhouse when configured correctly. None of us have to develop, not for the public, and for those that do, I can tell you it's not for the money nor the fame. If it was for fame the folks that left wouldn't be working from blog space & small sites. Sure, there are always glory hounds, but the Developers in Vivid are about the pursuit of perfection, nothing more. Roms are not made by a single person, many have a hand in adding or modifying portions of a rom. This means that when you slam or disrespect a chef or rom, you are telling six or more people that you do not appreciate their work. There will always be difference of opinion, but when that occurs, I expect you to handle it like a man (or woman) & use the Personal Message system this site offers. Even in those cases, I demand no less than respect & civility when communicating & you all agreed to that when you registered here at XDA. Failure to do so CAN & WILL BE GROUNDS FOR A BAN OF APPROPRIATE LENGTH.

Now, I am not a new Mod & XDA has seen fit to call me back to active duty as a Global Moderator, not a forum moderator, & that alone should tell you how frelled the vivid section has become. I am not here to power trip, don't want to ban anyone & hate cleaning useless posts from threads. But I have agreed to do just that until we can all become a happy family :rolleyes:

I am working on getting all the dev's back here that left as well as getting some support from some of the more populated forum threads. This will be more & more important as fragmentation goes away & Android becomes more unified. ICS is a step in that direction, Android 5.0 will almost be there completely.

You may not know it yet, but HTC knows they built a great device in the Holiday line & we have already seen ICS release roms for the US AT&T variant. They went & integrated beats & discussion is taking place about a possible Sense 4.0 version for the Holiday. Not a kanged version, but a true to goodness OEM complete with source code & all. While most other devices are still working with leaked versions & test betas, we have an honest to goodness Release version of ICS with some already even getting OTA updates as well. The Vivid is one of a handful of devices that can more than adequately run the same software versions as the newly unveiled One Series, only the Vivid doesn't look like a Sensation mated with a Flyer. I know most of the developers that left, some more than others & I am working on bringing them back to the XDA table. You see, when a developer leaves we get fragmentation. We also usually lose a lot of work from other rom team members, themers, coders, tweakers, hackers, kernel builders, etc...

It would be rather simple for a good Sensation developer to get us a great recovery, provide us with pointers on things they have found with getting ICS to run smoothly as they have been working with api 15 for longer than most Vivid dev's. Unfortunately, they see the Vivid forum as the red headed bastard stepchild of XDA & right now we are. Winter is over & never before have I seen so many developers fky away like a flock heading back north. They all left or are on the fence about leaving. That says something. It's not one high maintenance chef whining & leaving. It is a whole group of Dev's & the supporting members from all over the world leaving. That tells me something is broken, seriously broken & that you as Vivid forum participants have failed the developers & the community. We are broken & need to fix ourselves & learn to police ourselves to become whole again. Do you like stock roms? are you 100% satisfied with whomevers rom you are using? I hope the answer is yes, because unless we pull together & make changes you are gonna be stuck with what you have. Sure, more cooks will emerge. But every rom team member is exceptional at certain things & without them future roms will be lacking in certain areas.

At any rate I digress. Many of you know me. I am honest & fair. I am here, & XDA agreed, as a Hail Mary, to properly support the forum & to try a save the Vivid section from failing. The number one rule here from now on is: Be courteous, respectful & honorable; and if you can't do that....I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance & furious anger those who would attempt to poison our developers & destroy my forum.

THIS IS YOUR WARNING: I am an American, so Baseball is my countries pastime, right? Just like baseball I am immediately instituting a three strikes policy. Each strike will incur penalty on a progressive scale ending with me petitioning to permanently ban you if needed. And be advise that if you post useless or negative to development threads, expect them to be deleted. Just be smart & always take a minute to think things thru before posting & doing irreparable damage. Words are like currency, you can always save them & they'll be there later if needed, but let them burn a hole in your pocket & spend them to soon...You're broke & there's no getting them back.

Now I am stickying this thread & will be leaving it open for a short while. I am doing this to give you a chance to kindly ask the dev's that left to come back & where appropriate make amends or apologize for any personal attacks that were made publicly. If you wrote it where everyone could read it, you should have the fortitude to make it right publicly. If not, then I again refer you to the Personal Message utility provided to you by XDA.

Nicely written.

+1 on bringing back the Devs
    All I can say is WOW that was greatly written!!

You know what really sucks I have been a member for what i consider to be a long time, I have flashed 1000s of rom's on I don't how many phones and read probably millions of posts! This site is my addiction I read it every day. And over the last couple of months it has just gotten horrible, ridiculous and childish on both sides the noobs and the Dev's! Now DONT GET ME WRONG!! I love and admire everyone who develops, cooks and contributes to the forum. I admit I could never deal with all crap that some noobs and some not so noobs! It is not only this forum it seems to be wide spread even down to the scamming going on at the market place!!! It has honestly made me not want to come to XDA which really sucks.I have all ways looked at XDA as one of the best community's/families i have ever worked with. Just think about how many country's, languages,class,s of life white collar,blue collar and every where in between!!! Just like any family/community you have problems and you find way's to work through the hard times and it makes you stronger so I just plead to all the Developers to try to work whit us. Even if you just post your work and then just have a question and answer sec. and let the community answer the questions. Im just saying there has to be a solution!!

Okay I'm done Rambling!! Thank You to the Mods to for trying to hold it all together!! OK now i'm done!
    I undoubtedly missed all of that commotion and I'm glad I did. It's simple: use it only if you have educated yourself about it, and if you haven't then don't complain about it, because if you had educated yourself, you wouldn't have a reason to complain.

Not to mention even if it wasn't a group of developers, why would you be disrespectful of anyone, especially when they're providing you a service and product, for FREE nonetheless!? Unbelievable.

On behalf of the honest and caring people here on XDA, I want to apologize to all that have been talked down to, rudely criticized or disrespected in any way, especially in regards to all the hard work they've done and continue to do. I really hope to see as many devs come back as we have room for, I mean without all of them we wouldn't even be here. XDA may not have even existed.

I'm not even a Vivid user, I have a Sensation. I'm looking to swap up to a Raider though (Canadian/North American name I guess?) and would love to see as much development for it as the Sensation has now. Hopefully we can help make that a reality. Thanks to the OP as well, hopefully your time and efforts will be worthwhile!

Edit: moe3754 and subsequently the BinDroid team, it's great to have you guys and we look forward to your work! Thank you!