I can't believe Google made such a big phone!

Search This thread

CreepyDroid

Apr 19, 2012
The big question is: will apps also be in phone mode ? (the YouTube application showed in the keynote was the phone version, wasn't it?

mtmerrick

Jan 29, 2011
Merced/San Diego
Really? Then Google's doing it wrong. Phone UI is one of the major reasons Gingerbread tablets sucked, and Tablet UI works regardless of screen orientation. IMHO, books would be better with tablet UI.

^this. the tablet UI is the only reason that android tablets took off.
the UI on this deivce is no different from the original galaxy tab, the very first android tablet. there were many tablets up through gingerbread and they were a total failure. it wasn't till honeycomb that there was ANY reason to purchase an android tablet.

somthing in me is very fearful that they killed off the tablet UI, in favor of a "unified interface" across all devices. if they did this, well then, android tablets are doomed.

also, the combination of onscreen buttons and seperate status bar is just stupid... it takes up way too much screen real estate

-sent from THIS THING

Last edited:

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
Firing up the SDK emulator with Android 4.1, it looks like a hybrid mode specific to 7" tablets. Setting the emulator to a 10" tablet has the traditional UI. Despite having a phone status bar and navbar, the apps themselves are tablet apps with the exception of settings. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

mtmerrick

Jan 29, 2011
Merced/San Diego
Firing up the SDK emulator with Android 4.1, it looks like a hybrid mode specific to 7" tablets. Setting the emulator to a 10" tablet has the traditional UI. Despite having a phone status bar and navbar, the apps themselves are tablet apps with the exception of settings. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

Thank you! a real answer!

my laptop is having issues so i can't exactly update the SDK right now. Could you share a screenshot of the 10" UI?

-sent from my Satellite

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
Last edited:

beanboy89

Jun 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Sure. Give me a second, and I'll have some 10.1" screenshots as well as 7" comparison shots. Android SDK is kinda slow on linux.

Edit: 10.1" Jellybean at 160DPI - http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o48/jotokun/Jellybean101/

Thanks for those screenshots. I'm currently downloading the 4.1 APIs just to give it a try; it's a slow process. It looks like the clock in the 10.1" tablet mode uses a condensed version of Roboto, much like 4.0 uses in phone mode, instead of the expanded version that 4.0 uses in tablet mode.

Reactions: oldblue910

mtmerrick

Jan 29, 2011
Merced/San Diego
Here are the same screenshots with the emulator set to 7". Sorry about the wait, the emulator kept starting up without both the status bar and navbar.

These are at the newly added DPI option of 213, which I'm assuming is for the Nexus 7 since it has a ppi of around 215. Going 240 just gave me a complete phone UI.

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o48/jotokun/Jellybean7/

what is image 5 of 6 there? can't figure it out....

-sent from LE WORK BOX

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
6 Looks to be the native landscape mode and 5 is the new drop down for the status bar, this hybrid style ui they have going on would look good on a phone

Keep in mind that the emulator is locked into whatever mode its started in. The phone version of the ICS launcher did the same thing in the emulator, but on actual phones it was portrait only.

mtmerrick

Jan 29, 2011
Merced/San Diego
Notification tray. I'll get another screenshot with a lighter background, might make it more visible.
ah, ok.
hm... i see how that would work. thanks!

6 Looks to be the native landscape mode and 5 is the new drop down for the status bar, this hybrid style ui they have going on would look good on a phone

i like that idea! this UI on a bigger phone (say the GS3) via a rom? not bad. tho i'm not sure how the lower nav bar would work....

-sent from LE WORK BOX

Last edited:

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Yeah it might not be so bad if the apps are running in tablet mode. Here's a question, is there a way to hide the bars when gaming? Nothing more frustrating than playing a game and bumping a virtual button and ending up on your home screen

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda app-developers app

mtmerrick

Jan 29, 2011
Merced/San Diego
If the phone has physical buttons, the navbar wouldn't be present. Just like on ICS phones.

true, but you know the first phone to have this hack will be the gnex, which has onscreen keys =P

Yeah it might not be so bad if the apps are running in tablet mode. Here's a question, is there a way to hide the bars when gaming? Nothing more frustrating than playing a game and bumping a virtual button and ending up on your home screen

not built into the OS (as of ICS) but you can using root apps like GMD gesture control ;)

-sent from LE WORK BOX

Last edited:

nerfman100

Jan 11, 2012
I just had an idea: Google should make a feature to toggle between the two tablet modes! Then the people will get a say in it; the people who like the 7" hybrid mode will get to keep it, while the regular tablet mode users will love the tablet too! :D

nerfman100

Jan 11, 2012

I'd imagine that only the notification bar would disappear. If the navbar goes away, how will you get anywhere? :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You people gripe to much.

Regardless of CPU, GPU, screen, tablet mode, phone mode blah blah. Its a 200$ Penta core tablet. That gets updates directly from google.

The updates from google are alone enough for me.
    Thank you! a real answer!

my laptop is having issues so i can't exactly update the SDK right now. Could you share a screenshot of the 10" UI?

-sent from my Satellite

Sure. Give me a second, and I'll have some 10.1" screenshots as well as 7" comparison shots. Android SDK is kinda slow on linux.

Edit: 10.1" Jellybean at 160DPI - http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o48/jotokun/Jellybean101/
    They are combining phone and tablet more. But I'm sure landscape mode will look like a tablet.

Nope. If you watched while they were demoing games, they put it in landscape mode and it looked just like the Galaxy Nexus does in landscape mode. It's the phone interface through and through.

I'd say the main reason they did this is, as others have pointed out, to show off the notification bar, but even more importantly, the biggest devices that this thing is competing against in the marketplace is the Kindle Fire and the Nook, both of which operate in portrait mode by default. Android's tablet interface is specifically designed for landscape and (as a Xoom owner I can attest to this first hand) doesn't offer a very good user experience in portrait mode.

I personally would have liked to see tablet mode, but given its competition, I think they made the right decision.
    Here are the same screenshots with the emulator set to 7". Sorry about the wait, the emulator kept starting up without both the status bar and navbar.

These are at the newly added DPI option of 213, which I'm assuming is for the Nexus 7 since it has a ppi of around 215. Going 240 just gave me a complete phone UI.

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o48/jotokun/Jellybean7/