[APP][2.2+] Gainos Fresh Wallpapers / DayDream - Auto-changing images from Flickr

Search This thread

alinium_

Feb 25, 2013
OVERVIEW

When I got my Nexus 4 phone, I wanted to take full advantage of the high quality screen and set a gorgeous wallpaper on it. But I realized that no matter what wallpaper I set, I always get tired of looking at it quite quickly. What I really wanted was a new beautiful wallpaper every time I would pick up my phone. And that's why I created the app Gainos Fresh Wallpapers. It selects a random photo from Flickr's Explore stream and sets that as your wallpaper at regular intervals. I have mine set to change every hour.

APP HIGHLIGHTS
  • Images are selected at random from the 'Explore' stream at Flickr. This app is not affiliated with Flickr in any way.
  • Remembers last 10 wallpapers so you can go back and choose one you previously liked.
  • Choose to change the wallpaper as frequently as 10 minute to as slow as once every week.
  • Enable Daydream mode on JellyBean+ devices to start screensaver when device is docked.
  • Share images with your social networks.
  • Works well with tablets and phones. For high resolution displays a higher quality image is downloaded.
  • Choose to download new wallpapers only over wifi to save cellular bandwidth.
  • Minimal interface that stays out of your way. Just start the service once and forgot about the app.

HOW TO GET

OTHER

I'll really appreciate your feedback and suggestions!

Thanks!!

Attachments

• large_banner.jpg
    large_banner.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 01-app_screen.jpg
    01-app_screen.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 02-apples.jpg
    02-apples.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,574
  • 03-settings_screen.jpg
    03-settings_screen.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,150
  • 04-interval_dialog.jpg
    04-interval_dialog.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 05-daydream_screen.jpg
    05-daydream_screen.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 06-lock_screen.jpg
    06-lock_screen.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 07-long_press_menu.jpg
    07-long_press_menu.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 987
  • 08-share_dialog.jpg
    08-share_dialog.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 966
  • 09-home_screen.jpg
    09-home_screen.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 963
  • xdadevelopers.png
    xdadevelopers.png
    783 bytes · Views: 940
Last edited by a moderator:

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
Just installed it. Interface is clean and simple, very nice!

I don't know much about Flickr, but would it be possible to choose different "genres"? Such as scenery shots, cities, beaches etc..? That would be be a fantastic addition.

Apart from that, it seems to work exactly as described! I'll see how battery life is affected over the coming days but I don't think it'll be an issue :)

Great work! :good:

P.S. Check the XDA Portal in a few days ;)

Reactions: lex_is300

alinium_

Feb 25, 2013

Chaoticaa

Apr 26, 2010
First of all, thanks a lot for the app! It's a great idea. I just have a couple of requests:

Let's say I have the app refresh every 10 minutes and I leave my phone idle for an hour. It downloads all 6 wallpapers and wastes bandwidth for no reason rather than waiting for me to see the wallpaper before going to the next one. Could you change the app to prevent these useless downloads?

If I don't like a wallpaper, is there a way in the app to skip this wallpaper? Could you make a widget to skip the current wallpaper?

Last edited:

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
The auto download on wifi only toggle is missing on the Nexus 7 with 3G (tilapia).

And it seems to get pretty low res pictures for the Nexus 7 as well, not sure if it's better on the N4 because the screen is so much smaller, and my eyes ain't perfect. :)

elfaure

Great app and nice job! Simple, clean and compact. I had been using foxsaver for years before they changed it all for the worst. It used to work like this and now its been whittled down to about 10 pics per week. At a point it updated pics every 3 minutes and rarely repeated itself. I still have a foxsaver cache of over 1000 pics that I use with other wallpaper switchers but I am sick of those pics already.

Yes, after looking at the same 1K pics for over a year you will get bored of them too. Kinda explains marrage and divorse, or getting bored of your favorite foods and past times, if you think about it. The human brain needs changing stimulii to keep it satisfied. I feel like I got back the old foxsaver here. Very nice. I missed the "fresh" new feel of constantly changing wallpaper and now its back on the stack.

I found one problem and have another request. First problem is when you upload a pic to your dropbox, it has the SAME NAME as previously uploaded pics. In order to upload one pic you have to overwrite another you've already uploaded. Each pic should have a unique name, every time, every day, every week, etc. I should never have to overwrite a pic with another pic. And there is no way in your app to name the pics. They are named whatever flicker calls them so you will probably have to change this.

My request is to be able to save pics to local SD (or internal memory if I choose). There is no option for that in the share function.

Last edited:

alinium_

Feb 25, 2013
First of all, thanks a lot for the app! It's a great idea.

Hi Chaoticaa, thanks for your interest in the app!

Let's say I have the app refresh every 10 minutes and I leave my phone idle for an hour. It downloads all 6 wallpapers and wastes bandwidth for no reason rather than waiting for me to see the wallpaper before going to the next one. Could you change the app to prevent these useless downloads?

It's designed this way so that you can see a new wallpaper whenever you go back to the home screen. If it waited till you were on the home screen before downloading a wallpaper, you would have to wait a while to see the actual results. Its very likely that you would have actually navigated away from the home screen by the time the wallpaper changed.
If you are concerned about bandwidth, you can use the option that only auto downloads new wallpapers over WiFi, or use a longer interval. I have mine set to 1 hour and I find it pretty good as I get to see a new wallpaper almost every time I pick up my phone.

If I don't like a wallpaper, is there a way in the app to skip this wallpaper? Could you make a widget to skip the current wallpaper?

You can go into the app and press the big green button to get a new wallpaper. You can also re-select any wallpaper from the last 10 you had. I have plans to add either a widget or a low priority notification (or maybe both) which will let you do the same without having to go into the app in a future update. Also, in case you get some embarrassing wallpaper, you can long-tap it in the app and select 'Remove from History'.

Reactions: skyliner33v

Jonnyredcorn

Nov 7, 2011
Southgate
When I first downloaded it I was using my Galaxy S3 which is running an AOSP AOKP ROM, however when I downloaded and tried it out on my Galaxy Note 2 which is running a Touchwiz ROM I don't see how to set the app to set both the Lockscreen and homescreen wallpaper. The app just sets the homescreen wallpaper.

alinium_

Feb 25, 2013
Hello great app, a save option for saving wallpapers to phone will be great!

You can use the share button in the app (turquoise colored button), to export the currently selected wallpaper to other apps on your device. This way you can save the picture somewhere on your phone.

You can also long-tap on a wallpaper thumbnail and then tap 'View Wallpaper' to see the original image on Flickr. You can then save the image from that website. Please be mindful of the image owner's copyright though - however its usually ok to keep the images for personal (non-commercial, non-promotional) use.

alinium_

Feb 25, 2013
The auto download on wifi only toggle is missing on the Nexus 7 with 3G (tilapia).

That's a good catch! I am hiding the option for devices that didn't support 3G. But Android doesn't provide a good way to detect these devices. So I was checking if the device supports phone functionality. However, it looks like tablets like yours will fail this test even though they support 3G functionality. I'll look into finding some better way to detect which devices have 3G capability. Look out for it in the next update :)

And it seems to get pretty low res pictures for the Nexus 7 as well, not sure if it's better on the N4 because the screen is so much smaller, and my eyes ain't perfect. :)

As for the resolution, the size of the images downloaded is related to the display size. The image size picked is always one that's larger than the screen's dimensions. However, care is taken not too choose something ridiculously larger as that would just be a bandwidth hog. Sometimes Flickr might not have the correct sized image, in which case a smaller resolution image has to be downloaded. But most of the time, you should be getting a high-res, crisp image.

Reactions: kenkiller

alinium_

Feb 25, 2013
:highfive:please give as the opition to choose wallpapers from galery:highfive:

Thanks for trying out the app IvanAugustoBD! But I wonder if you're missing out on the point of the app. As elfaure mentions in his post, the idea of the app is to keep providing a fresh stream of images to keep your visual senses stimulated at all time. This is hard to do if you keep seeing images from a pre-determined set. The advantage of using Flickr is that you get an endless stream of new gorgeous images.

Having said that, I realize that some people might prefer seeing the same set of images e.g. if it is pictures of their loved ones. But truthfully, this sort of feature is very low on my list.

If this is truly what you want, you might be able to find other apps in the store that cycle through images in your own photo gallery. But I believe you will have a better experience using Gainos than those apps. ;)

alinium_

Feb 25, 2013
Great app and nice job! Simple, clean and compact. I had been using foxsaver for years before they changed it all for the worst. It used to work like this and now its been whittled down to about 10 pics per week. At a point it updated pics every 3 minutes and rarely repeated itself. I still have a foxsaver cache of over 1000 pics that I use with other wallpaper switchers but I am sick of those pics already.

Yes, after looking at the same 1K pics for over a year you will get bored of them too. Kinda explains marrage and divorse, or getting bored of your favorite foods and past times, if you think about it. The human brain needs changing stimulii to keep it satisfied. I feel like I got back the old foxsaver here. Very nice. I missed the "fresh" new feel of constantly changing wallpaper and now its back on the stack.

Right on! This was my main motivation for making this app.

I found one problem and have another request. First problem is when you upload a pic to your dropbox, it has the SAME NAME as previously uploaded pics. In order to upload one pic you have to overwrite another you've already uploaded. Each pic should have a unique name, every time, every day, every week, etc. I should never have to overwrite a pic with another pic. And there is no way in your app to name the pics. They are named whatever flicker calls them so you will probably have to change this.

This should be pretty easy to do. In my next update I'll make it so that the images have unique names. I'll probably use the current date/time for the image name.

My request is to be able to save pics to local SD (or internal memory if I choose). There is no option for that in the share function.

The share function is handled by the Android system itself. It does looks like they don't provide any functionality to save images directly to sd card. I'll take a look at what other possibilities exist. For the time being, you're best off saving them to some other app like Dropbox or Google Drive.

alinium_

Feb 25, 2013
When I first downloaded it I was using my Galaxy S3 which is running an AOSP AOKP ROM, however when I downloaded and tried it out on my Galaxy Note 2 which is running a Touchwiz ROM I don't see how to set the app to set both the Lockscreen and homescreen wallpaper. The app just sets the homescreen wallpaper.

I've had a few Galaxy Note 2 users complain about this issue. They all seem to be using Samsung's TouchWiz. I looked into it and found out that Samsung has modified the Android API functionality in Touchwiz so that the wallpaper changing function only changes the home screen wallpaper. In all likelihood they have a separate function for setting the lock screen wallpaper, but it is not documented any where and Samsung has said that they do not make it public either. So the way it stands right now, there is no way I can fix this issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OVERVIEW

When I got my Nexus 4 phone, I wanted to take full advantage of the high quality screen and set a gorgeous wallpaper on it. But I realized that no matter what wallpaper I set, I always get tired of looking at it quite quickly. What I really wanted was a new beautiful wallpaper every time I would pick up my phone. And that's why I created the app Gainos Fresh Wallpapers. It selects a random photo from Flickr's Explore stream and sets that as your wallpaper at regular intervals. I have mine set to change every hour.

APP HIGHLIGHTS
    • Images are selected at random from the 'Explore' stream at Flickr. This app is not affiliated with Flickr in any way.
    • Remembers last 10 wallpapers so you can go back and choose one you previously liked.
    • Choose to change the wallpaper as frequently as 10 minute to as slow as once every week.
    • Enable Daydream mode on JellyBean+ devices to start screensaver when device is docked.
    • Share images with your social networks.
    • Works well with tablets and phones. For high resolution displays a higher quality image is downloaded.
    • Choose to download new wallpapers only over wifi to save cellular bandwidth.
    • Minimal interface that stays out of your way. Just start the service once and forgot about the app.

HOW TO GET

OTHER

I'll really appreciate your feedback and suggestions!

Thanks!!

Glad you liked it!

I don't know much about Flickr, but would it be possible to choose different "genres"? Such as scenery shots, cities, beaches etc..? That would be be a fantastic addition.

I'm planning on adding some functionality like this in the next update or so. It will select photos by keywords or tags.

P.S. Check the XDA Portal in a few days ;)
    I'll keep an eye out :)
    Fantastic! I've always wondered why something like this hasn't popped up until now. Sort of like the Bing desktop. But, of course, greed sets in once you've played around with it a bit more, making you wonder if it would be possible to filter images to a predominant color. Not sure how that could be accomplished, but just a suggestion. I have transparent widgets on my homescreen with white text, and while it's easy to move on to a different wallpaper that would make that text more legible, as android users, we're always conniving ways to become even more lazy.

Glad you like the app! I've experienced the same problem myself some times when the wallpaper colours conflict with some widgets. I haven't come up with a good solution for it yet since the images are picked at random. Determining the wallpaper image's 'average color' could be one option, but I'm afraid it will slow down the process further and would result in multiple image downloads till the right one is found. Also, as you mention, just switching to the next wallpaper isn't that hard to do and hence I haven't put much thought into this problem. Anyway, I'll investigate some options and check how well they work.

Also, is there a way to select a background to keep it as a permanent copy to be scanned by the media scanner?
    EDIT: I see that you can share to dropbox and use dropsync to have a hard copy. Downloading from Flickr seems hit or miss.

Right now you can export images using the Share button. But please respect the original image owner's copyright when using these images. You can find the full details of the copyright on the Flickr page of the photo.
    First of all, thanks a lot for the app! It's a great idea. I just have a couple of requests:

Version 2.0 is out now with one of the most requested features of selecting images based on a search term:

• Specify a tag to get images matching that search criteria only
    • Added support for 500px (requires in-app purchase)
    • Purchasing 500px upgrade removes ads from app and promo text in shared image
    • Lots of improvements under the hood:
      • Repeat images are not downloaded any more
      • Shared images have a unique filename now
      • On some devices, the wallpaper image would not fill the full screen. This should be fixed now

Sorry if your requested feature didn't make it into this release. I do take all suggestions under strong consideration and it's mostly time constraints that prevents me from getting more features in. As it is, this update took me much longer to get out than I would have liked.

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming. The next update will add support for DeviantArt images and whatever other user-requested feature requests I can squeeze in :)

Get it from Google Play