Nook Tablet Sleeping Death

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
When the Nook Tablet runs low on battery, it will turn off. Duh..

However, what happens when the battery gets too low? It goes into a "sleeping death" mode. I theorize this is caused by a lack of power management when the device is in sleeping condition.

Here is the related portion of my UART log.. Put in simple terms:wires hooked up internally to read what would be "BIOS" on a desktop or laptop.
Code:
fullcap0=0x2067 VFSOC=0x08f0 remcap=0x02e5
fullcap0=battery full capacity
VFSOC= Voltage for? System On a Chip- the value required for the device to operate
remcap= remaining capacity

These values are checked before the screen even turns on. So, if the Nook Tablet has a dead battery, the processor will initialize, then turn off before turning on the screen. The device appears to be totally dead.

I verified that a standard USB cable will charge the device even when it's completely off. I do not have a Barnes and Nobel cable currently, so I don't know if this applies.

The solution is to leave the device plugged in for 2 hours, then attempt to turn it on.

I hope this helps someone who would otherwise return a totally operational device.

HMG10

Nov 29, 2011
I purposefully ran my nt down to see how low it would go and what happens when the battery runs out. I got it down to somewhere around 4% before it went black. I then plugged in the nt wall charger and tried turning it on. Nothing happened. I waited a few minutes and tried again. It was then flashing a message about critically low battery on the screen and to wait 15 minutes before trying again. It was probably 5-10 minutes later that it actually booted into android.

Just to clarify, it flashed red text on black screen when too low to power on fully.

Last edited:

Crisis1837

Jan 11, 2012
nook tablet wont charge

I have the nook tablet and last night the battery died and brought up a screen that said "battery to low to power on, please connect your charger" so I connected the nook charger and the little "n" on the cable lit up, but the screen just keeps flashing (once a minute or so without me touching it) the battery to low message. Everytime the message pops up the "n" on the charger changes color from Orange to green. Left it to charge all night and this morning more of the same. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

16GB
8GB SD card
Rooted
Purchased at christmas

mamnun

Mar 15, 2012
Dhaka
I ran into the same problem a couple of daya earlier. I tried a standard mini usb charger but my tablet woulbnt boot. Then I tried b&n charger and cable. After around 20 minutes I found it booted and charging.

I noted that standerd mini-usb chargers outputs ampere are far lower than bn chargers. For example nokia charger : 1200mA, sony erricsson : 850 mA and b&n charger : 1.9 A. Does it have to do anything with this?

Sent from my Nook Tablet using XDA

Crisis1837

Jan 11, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I contacted Barnes and noble last night and they seem to think that it is the cable. They are sending a new one. I will update when it comes in. Thanks again.

I ran into the same problem a couple of daya earlier. I tried a standard mini usb charger but my tablet woulbnt boot. Then I tried b&n charger and cable. After around 20 minutes I found it booted and charging.

I noted that standerd mini-usb chargers outputs ampere are far lower than bn chargers. For example nokia charger : 1200mA, sony erricsson : 850 mA and b&n charger : 1.9 A. Does it have to do anything with this?

Sent from my Nook Tablet using XDA

Montisaquadeis

Nov 16, 2011
The B&N cables are known to stop working after a while. Guess its built a little on the cheap side and the end that plugs into the nook is the problem as it is to heavy and so it bends the plug and causing it to snap off on the inside which of course is a bad thing. Some of the pins snap and thus causes problems.

bustedukulele

Mar 30, 2011
My nook is doing the same thing. Thing is that im on my second B&N cord and my phone cord which usually charges it wont charge it either. The screen just say battery too low.. wait 15 minutes.

I'm wondering if making a bootable sd card will solve the problem.

Crisis1837

Jan 11, 2012
Ended up taking mine to the b&n store after the new cable didn't help. They ended up replacing my NT all together.

Cubanluke88

Nov 18, 2011
Connecticut
My nook is doing the same thing. Thing is that im on my second B&N cord and my phone cord which usually charges it wont charge it either. The screen just say battery too low.. wait 15 minutes.

I'm wondering if making a bootable sd card will solve the problem.

A regular micro sd cable will not charge the nook. The receptacles for it are set in deeper than normal and thus the reason for the extended microsd pins on the nook tablet charger.

bustedukulele

Mar 30, 2011
Just wanted to post an update.... i made a bootable SD card and inserted it in my nook... one push of the power button had clockwork recovery up.
Once i had a ROM installed the battery read that it was full.

Thanks for your replies. I'm glad i don't have to replace it
Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When the Nook Tablet runs low on battery, it will turn off. Duh..

However, what happens when the battery gets too low? It goes into a "sleeping death" mode. I theorize this is caused by a lack of power management when the device is in sleeping condition.

Here is the related portion of my UART log.. Put in simple terms:wires hooked up internally to read what would be "BIOS" on a desktop or laptop.
    Code:
    fullcap0=0x2067 VFSOC=0x08f0 remcap=0x02e5
    fullcap0=battery full capacity
    VFSOC= Voltage for? System On a Chip- the value required for the device to operate
    remcap= remaining capacity

These values are checked before the screen even turns on. So, if the Nook Tablet has a dead battery, the processor will initialize, then turn off before turning on the screen. The device appears to be totally dead.

I verified that a standard USB cable will charge the device even when it's completely off. I do not have a Barnes and Nobel cable currently, so I don't know if this applies.

The solution is to leave the device plugged in for 2 hours, then attempt to turn it on.

I hope this helps someone who would otherwise return a totally operational device.
    I purposefully ran my nt down to see how low it would go and what happens when the battery runs out. I got it down to somewhere around 4% before it went black. I then plugged in the nt wall charger and tried turning it on. Nothing happened. I waited a few minutes and tried again. It was then flashing a message about critically low battery on the screen and to wait 15 minutes before trying again. It was probably 5-10 minutes later that it actually booted into android.

Just to clarify, it flashed red text on black screen when too low to power on fully.
    My friend's nook tablet had the same problem.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23836518#post23836518

Even after leaving it plugged up with the nook charger over night, it would not boot. I guess I should have tried a standard micro usb plug. :)