[Official] One Stop FAQ Thread - Noob Friendly (All questions go here)

Search This thread

BluesRulez

May 21, 2012
Some where in this universe.
Thanks for linking me here blues.

So before I decide to switch roms, I would like to backup my current stock fh13.

I would have to flash a safe tw kernel with cwm, then reboot recovery, backup. Correct?

I then reboot, use mobile Odin again to flash a safe recovery/kernel that works with say PA. Reboot recovery and flash as normal.

New to this device, I've had a heroc and shooter before this phone which was pretty cut and dry as far as flashing.

I'm pretty happy right now on stock rooted but I am going to want to start flashing custom roms in the near future, so just trying to get informed.

Thank you for the help!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Yup.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: bongzilla

bongzilla

Oct 29, 2009
Thanks man, i just upgraded to the FI27, did the one click odin, got root.

Which kernel (that has cwm included) would you recommend to backup my current stock state?

And then when i go to change roms, (ill either be changing to a CM9/CM10 im assuming), will i want to use the GB Stock el26 Repacked?
Is it safe to assume i will want to use that el26 repack everytime i switch between roms? (unless going back to TW rom)
EDIT: Or once im on a CM10 kernel/recovery, i can use that recovery to switch between OTHER CM10 roms without having to odin?

And i do realize after i flash the rom of my choice, it has a new kernel and possibly recovery?, baked into it.

ONE MORE QUESTION :p

If i want to restore my FI27 backup and im currently on CM10, i would need to flash a TW kernel/recovery beforehand right?

Thanks for all the info! I think i got the jist of it, just want to be sure, ya kno?!

Last edited:

BluesRulez

May 21, 2012
Thanks man, i just upgraded to the FI27, did the one click odin, got root.

Which kernel (that has cwm included) would you recommend to backup my current stock state?

And then when i go to change roms, (ill either be changing to a CM9/CM10 im assuming), will i want to use the GB Stock el26 Repacked?
Is it safe to assume i will want to use that el26 repack everytime i switch between roms? (unless going back to TW rom)
EDIT: Or once im on a CM10 kernel/recovery, i can use that recovery to switch between OTHER CM10 roms without having to odin?

And i do realize after i flash the rom of my choice, it has a new kernel and possibly recovery?, baked into it.

ONE MORE QUESTION :p

If i want to restore my FI27 backup and im currently on CM10, i would need to flash a TW kernel/recovery beforehand right?

Thanks for all the info! I think i got the jist of it, just want to be sure, ya kno?!

You can flash that el26 anytime you want to do anything in recovery. Just flash the rom zip you are currently running to get that rom's kernel reflashed or the phone wont boot. Cannot run gb kernel on ics and jb.

danerer

Oct 21, 2010
Woah how did I overlook that post? Sorry.

Flashing zips is generally considered safe from recovery included in rom. Flashing full roms is where the risk comes in.

That being said here is what I do...
There is no need to odin full el29 or el26 rom.

Flash EL26 stock kernel while on any jellybean rom.
Go to recovery. Wipe cache and dalvik cache.
Flash whatever I need to.
Reflash the full rom zip.
Done!

Thanks to both of you!

pompeii1275

Oct 28, 2012
install abort

I know there's already threads about this but none had a solution to help me. I have the d710 rooted FF18 agat like qbking shows how to and everything works. My problem is that i can't get roms to install.. I downloaded a few mods from rom manager and boot into agat. Every time it will aborted install. Searched around and ppl recommended acs recovery and no luck with that either. So i tried flashing with mobile odin pro following all the instructions exact with el26. Still the same results... Am i just flat out missing something or should i try rerooting? I greatly appreciate everyones help with this... Im a totally noob i know. I'm staying to miss my rooted evo now lol.

BluesRulez

May 21, 2012
I know there's already threads about this but none had a solution to help me. I have the d710 rooted FF18 agat like qbking shows how to and everything works. My problem is that i can't get roms to install.. I downloaded a few mods from rom manager and boot into agat. Every time it will aborted install. Searched around and ppl recommended acs recovery and no luck with that either. So i tried flashing with mobile odin pro following all the instructions exact with el26. Still the same results... Am i just flat out missing something or should i try rerooting? I greatly appreciate everyones help with this... Im a totally noob i know. I'm staying to miss my rooted evo now lol.

Rom manager doesn't work with this phone to flash roms, recovery etc.

After you flash EL26 CWM Stock kernel by chris41g with mobile odin pro were you able to go into recovery?

leaderbuilder

Yes you ARE missing something.
As Blues said DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER!
Well, unless you want a pretty paperweight.
You should spend some time reading through the stickies - maybe this one - might help http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1587607
IF you have Agat's kernel (with CWM) then boot to recovery;
power off completely then hold the Power Button + the Volume Up button till you see the first Galaxy SII screen and let go. You will then be in recovery and can 'install zip from SD card' NOT install 'update.zip'
Select your ROM zip and install. ROMs here usually come with their own kernel that will be installed on first boot.
You can also use the QuickBoot application from the PlayStore to boot to recovery.
Just spend a little time reading through more posts. Especially the OPs for the ROM you are trying to install - if that developer suggests a certain kernel or install method FOLLOW IT.
Good luck.

leaderbuilder

I was able to get into the recovery then tried to flash cm9 and it soft bricked on the galaxy s 2 screen.
Did you follow this guide? http://e4gtcm.blogspot.com/p/cm9-install-guide.html
It has a Warning: Only use a safe recovery to flash CM9. Otherwise, you risk bricking your phone.!
Again spend some time and READ A WHOLE LOT MORE.

IF you can get into download mode use one of sfhub's One-clicks and you may be able to get your phone back. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1721229

And read his tutorials and how tos too.

pompeii1275

Oct 28, 2012
Yes you ARE missing something.
As Blues said DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER!
Well, unless you want a pretty paperweight.
You should spend some time reading through the stickies - maybe this one - might help http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1587607
IF you have Agat's kernel (with CWM) then boot to recovery;
power off completely then hold the Power Button + the Volume Up button till you see the first Galaxy SII screen and let go. You will then be in recovery and can 'install zip from SD card' NOT install 'update.zip'
Select your ROM zip and install. ROMs here usually come with their own kernel that will be installed on first boot.
You can also use the QuickBoot application from the PlayStore to boot to recovery.
Just spend a little time reading through more posts. Especially the OPs for the ROM you are trying to install - if that developer suggests a certain kernel or install method FOLLOW IT.
Good luck.

Im only using rom manager to dl the roms. Its hard to miss big red words telling you not to use rom manage. I will take the advise and read over the thread once more. No need to be so harsh tho... Lol

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Did you do a full wipe before flashing?

Always...

bongzilla

Oct 29, 2009
i thought i read somewhere about not full wiping/factory reset because it can cause the eMMC?
is that just certain recoveries that you have to be careful with?

maybe i misunderstood also

im on Stock FI27 w/ agat 0.6.3, if i want to switch to paranoid can i just reboot to my current agat recovery, wipe(?) assuming its safe and flash

or

do i need to el26, wipe(?) assuming its safe, flash

thanks, learning

tdunham

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
Im only using rom manager to dl the roms. Its hard to miss big red words telling you not to use rom manage. I will take the advise and read over the thread once more.
I wouldn't trust what rom manager offers for flashable roms (I have never recognized a single rom they have ever offered btw). There are several submodels that are similar. All it takes is one bad flash and the phone is done for good. You should stick with the known good roms offered here and pay close attention to the exact flashing method that should be stated in each opening page offering.

BluesRulez

May 21, 2012
i thought i read somewhere about not full wiping/factory reset because it can cause the eMMC?

im on Stock FI27 w/ agat 0.6.3, if i want to switch to paranoid can i just reboot to my current agat recovery, wipe(?) assuming its safe and flash

or

thanks, learning

El26

tdunham

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay

or

The general rule stands, if you switch between platforms ICS/Aokp/Cm9/Cm10/JB you should always use the el26 kernel. There are still reported bricking issues when not following this between platforms, even with the 'safe' kernels.

That said, the emmc brick bug is not considered a problem any longer in any of the ICS kernels built from source. However, as stated you still need to pay attention when going between platforms and any special instructions for flashing.

Last edited:

blacmack

Oct 29, 2012
San Jose
So I picked up a Epic 4G Touch with a bad ESN today. I rooted it on FF18. I just want to use this as an iPod Touch so I need to disable the cell radios. (Battery life on this thing is terrible, for me at least.) I also want to use the Universe rom. What do I need to do and in what order? Do I need to update to FH13 or to FI03? When do I install Clockwork, or anything like that. Can someone list out the steps I need? Much appreciated.

BluesRulez

May 21, 2012
So I picked up a Epic 4G Touch with a bad ESN today. I rooted it on FF18. I just want to use this as an iPod Touch so I need to disable the cell radios. (Battery life on this thing is terrible, for me at least.) I also want to use the Universe rom. What do I need to do and in what order? Do I need to update to FH13 or to FI03? When do I install Clockwork, or anything like that. Can someone list out the steps I need? Much appreciated.

Sorry but I linked you here because steps to install a new are in post 2.
You dont need to go to fh13 or fi03.

locovagra

May 6, 2011
several questions

Ok First I got my cell phone, sprint samsung galaxy S2 flashed to boost, from a company here in michigan called greatvaluecellular. I have emailed, called, etc and they avoid contact to resolve issues. So I must try and ask here.

1st currently everything is stock. but flashed to boost. Is there any issues or special instructions needed with rooting it or adding a custom Rom that I should worry about? It's already running ICS but thinking of checking out a jelly bean rom or something that has better memory management and battery life.

2nd about 40% of the time when I go to make a call I get some "error 16" problem and end up having to hang up and try to recall again. how can I fix this?

3rd what are my options to help this phone manage memory better instead of a battery saver app, task manager, and fast reboot to get it from slowing down and/or locking up entirely?

Thanks so much in advance.

BluesRulez

May 21, 2012
Ok First I got my cell phone, sprint samsung galaxy S2 flashed to boost, from a company here in michigan called greatvaluecellular. I have emailed, called, etc and they avoid contact to resolve issues. So I must try and ask here.

1st currently everything is stock. but flashed to boost. Is there any issues or special instructions needed with rooting it or adding a custom Rom that I should worry about? It's already running ICS but thinking of checking out a jelly bean rom or something that has better memory management and battery life.

2nd about 40% of the time when I go to make a call I get some "error 16" problem and end up having to hang up and try to recall again. how can I fix this?

3rd what are my options to help this phone manage memory better instead of a battery saver app, task manager, and fast reboot to get it from slowing down and/or locking up entirely?

Thanks so much in advance.

So this phone was originally a sprint phone? OR a boost phone?

I guess you are using a donor phone...

Here is what I found from doing a search for error 16 - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17727442&postcount=19

Error 16 fix!!!!

Dial 611 from evo or android u will get error 16 wait till it connects you to sprint
they will know why u calling! And explain why u got the error
- they will ask you what phone you have

tell them the donor phone model
you boost pin
your name and last name
and zip code

and get a second # for them to call u at
then the rep will tell u to turn off the phone "donor" but ur going to turn off the evo and wait for them to call u in the second # you have provided. When they do it means they fix the error turn evo or android back on make a test call and be on that call for atleast 30 secs as the rep will ask you to do and voila! YOU HAVE FIXED ERROR 16 on your flashed phone!

hit thanks *****es

As far as I know there are no special instructions to root on boost. Maybe someone who has boost can confirm that.
Also let your phone manage memory. No apps are needed.. What issues are you having that you see a need to use an app?

Last edited:

jigwashere

Dec 15, 2009
System Tuner Pro

I'm on FI27 rooted with 'FI27 AGAT_v0.6.5 with tREC_v0.2.2 10/23/12' and am trying to improve battery life. My battery usually does okay except when I'm at work. I often turn off 3G in the office because of poor signal strength. If I forget to turn off 3G, then I sometimes notice the battery run down quickly. It's not consistent, unfortunately, and all I see if Android Kernel as the culprit when looking at BetterBatteryStats or GSam Battery Monitor.

Anyway, I thought I'd try System Tuner Pro to use the ktoonservative governor. My very limited testing seems to indicate this will help, but I'd like to try adjusting voltages and make other tweaks. Maybe there are startup items I should consider stopping.

Is there an existing thread covering System Tuner Pro that a newbie like me could use? Or, would you be willing to give a few quick tips and tricks here?

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the title says this will be a one stop for ALL your questions related to Sprint Epic 4G Touch (SPH-D710). Please use this thread.

This thread is completely noob friendly. :angel: Please no trolling or flaming. Any posts insulting or trolling fellow members will be reported promptly. Use
    report.png
    button. Don't abuse it. We don't want our moderators to waste time. Also no general chit chat please. We want this thread to be as helpful as possible so less clutter is better :)

Ask ANY question related to root, kernels, recovery, any roms, battery issues etc.

Don't think that if you post your question in this thread it won't get answered. If you feel an urge to start a "new" thread for each question thinking that people will answer that quickly or something like that then you are mistaken. Don't worry and ask away here!

No one person is responsible if your phone becomes a shiny black brick..Neither me nor anyone answering question.

Any one can answer questions and point users in the right direction.
    Although it is encouraged to search and research before asking, I can understand that maybe you feel overwhelmed by your search results and just want to make sure before you do anything stupid or are just confused by all the answers you find :confused:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh and about the search function. Some tips. There are different ways to do a search on Xda.

-Site wide search which is on the top right corner and looks like this -
    Untitled1.png
    This search is useful for apps and such which are not necessarily device specific.
    -Another search option is to search within the forum for example search in "Epic 4G Touch Q&A". This will search all threads created in this forum. It looks like this right above the threads.
    Untitled2.png

-Third search option will show up where you see the option above when you are in a particular thread. It is the most useful when you are in a ROM thread an looking for some help specific to that rom.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Goal here is to stop repeatedly asked questions in Q&A forums AND have all the questions in one place. Chances are high that the issue you are having was already experienced by someone else and the answer is somewhere in the forums.

Post 2 will have all the common questions/answers. New FAQs will be added as I come across something noteworthy.

Post 3 will have all the questions/answers that other members have asked. I will link to posts from within the thread here so you don't have to go looking for them.

Please let me know about any errors or recommend changes. I am all ears.

Ok here we go: Most common questions. I will be adding more from time to time.

Q. How do I root my phone?

A. The safest and easiest way to obtain root is to use one of the stock Odin one clicks. They are all found here. That thread has all versions listed. You want to use the one-click for the version you have. There are 2 versions. No data version will save all your user data. Use that only if you need to root your current version. Not recommended when downgrading versions.

Alternate Method:-
    This is not recommended for first time users. Its a bit complicated but not hard.
    -You need the EL26/29 kernel with CWM(linked below), CWM SuperSU zip, and stock kernel for the build you are on. By stock kernel, I mean for example if you are on unrooted ICS FL24 then you need the FL24 Stock kernel in a zip format. All these files need to be on your SD Card before you begin. All files can be found at rwilco12.com.
    -Flash the EL26/29 kernel first using mobile odin kernel slot or desktop odin PDA slot.
    -Boot into recovery.
    -Flash zip from internal/external SD card.
    -Find the SuperSU zip file and flash it.
    -Now remember to not reboot. Flash the stock kernel zip.
    -Now you can reboot.

Phone will boot up and you are still completely stock but rooted with NO CWM.

Q. Now I am rooted, how do I install clockwork mod (CWM) recovery to flash new ROMs etc? Oh did I mention flash ANY ROM? ICS or JB.

A. There are several ways to do this and need to be careful in choosing the right version. If you are not using a safe recovery then you may brick your phone. More on bricks later.. Before you install cwm you need to decide why you want cwm recovery. Are you just looking to install CWM recovery so you can flash a new ROM? If So.. Follow those steps to be as safe as you can get with flashing new roms.
    -Make sure you have the ROM zip file already on your SD Card before starting this. Gapps too if it is a CM/AOKP/AOSP based rom.
    -Download Mobile Odin Lite from here. You can also download from play store.
    -Download GB - EL26 Stock repacked with CWM from here. You want the .tar.md5 file. OR use EG4T-EL29-directbootCWM-v3.tar.md5 md5 - 2b781e4515982a6b7d9586cbb3158647. Direct boot kernel will boot into recovery after flashing in mobile odin.
    -Open Mobile Odin and select the kernel slot. Find the file on your sd card and select it.
    -Flash firmware. It will take few seconds and phone will reboot.
    -Next step is very important..
    -Now one thing to keep in mind here is that you just flashed a Gingerbread based kernel. If you are on ICS or JB, your phone will no longer boot. So you want to hold down power + vol up until you see the CWM recovery.
    -From here on follow the instructions of the rom you are trying to install.
    Only follow the above process ANY time you need to flash a new rom.
    Any new rom you flash comes with its own recovery which are generally safe to flash different mods etc for that particular rom.
    You can also use desktop odin to flash the kernel but it will trigger a yellow triangle and show a flash count which shows how many times you have flashed something custom.

Q. Now that I have my favorite ROM and its all setup... How do I make a nandroid backup?

A. Simple.. Just go to recovery that the rom came with by holding down vol + power up OR most roms have the reboot to recovery option in the power menu. Once in recovery go to backup and restore. Go to backup and let it run. It will take few minutes to complete. Also avoid changing names of these nandroid backups because that could cause MD5 mismatch and you won't be able to restore it.
    A nandroid backup is a FULL backup of your phone. It comes very handy if you want to go back to your setup when trying new roms.

Now off to brick related questions.

General advise:- Please please please read the directions of the rom you are trying to flash and ask if you are not sure before you regret making a mistake.

Q. I flashed something (lets say you were on some ROM and decided to try a new kernel) and now all I have is a Samsung boot logo and my phone is stuck on it for few mins...

Am I bricked?? Did I brick it for good?

A. In most cases, No. If you see the Samsung boot logo then you are lucky and what you likely have is "Soft" brick. You can recover from this. You can do different things to fix this. If you are not sure and do not feel confident and just want to get your phone working to take a breather, follow this..
    -Download EL29 rooted Odin one click to a pc. (you should always keep a copy on your pc)
    -Put your phone into Odin download mode by holding power + vol down until you see a screen asking you to press vol up to continue.
    -Open the one click .exe file.
    -Plug your phone into your pc using an usb cable.
    -Wait for drivers to install if you don't already have. Be patient.
    -You should see COM:XX where XX is port number. Doesn't matter what number. Now be patient and wait a min or 2. (Sometimes I have seen the COM:XX disappear and then comeback due to some driver reloading..)
    -Press start and wait for the flash to complete.
    *DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MOVE YOUR PHONE AROUND THAT THE CABLE COULD UNPLUG.
    *MAKE SURE BATTERY HAS GOOD CHARGE.
    *MAKE SURE PC DOESN'T RESTART.
    *If the process is interrupted, you will brick your device for sure depending on where odin was in the flash process and it will be hard to fix it or impossible.
    -You should wait till phone reboots by itself. Device can be unplugged then.

Another thing you could do to recover from a soft brick is just go into recovery and restore your nandroid backup that you had created.

Q. Ok so now what is "hard" brick?

A. To explain it in simple words.. if you get a flashing blue led and nothing on the display, cannot go into odin mode or recovery then you have a hard brick. For more info refer to this thread and this thread
    User Questions

Q: I want CWM which will run with my current version of stock rom. I don't care about EL26 kernel w/cmw. Where do I get it?

A: First of all, I don't see why you would need a kernel with cwm if you are on a stock rom. There is no use as the kernel is not considered safe to perform most functions. But if you still want it.. You can get it here - [KERNELS][CWM][ODIN] Kernel Repository - Download Them All Here and flash it using mobile odin as described in post 2.

Q: I am running AOSP/AOKP/CM based rom and my data is slow. Also my 3g/4g is not working. Oh yeah and I never get a GPS lock. I don't want to go back to stock touchwiz! Please HELP!!!

A: Well you can't update profile and prl using AOSP/AOKP/CM based rom and it has to be done from touchwiz based roms. But there is some good news. You can temp boot to stock EL29 rom and do whatever you want to such as use dialcodes, update profile/prl etc. Temp boot means that you will be able to boot 1 time to EL29 and then next time you boot, you will be back on whatever rom you were on. Follow this simple video to do this.

Also you can try different modems which you can flash in CWM or ODIN. Get them here- [MODEMS][CWM][ODIN] Modem Repository - Download Them All Here

Q. How do I disable the annoying OTA update notifications? They always comeback even after clearing the notifications..

A. It is very easy. Thanks to an apk or a zip created by rocket321 you can disable them permanently. Here is the quote and the post..
    [How-to] Disable OTA updates on Stock + Rooted ROMs
    1. Download FOTAKill.apk and copy to your Phone/SD
    2. Use a root explorer (such as ES Explorer) to copy the file to /system/app
    3. If the update already downloaded, delete it from /cache
    4. reboot

*Credit for the apk goes to the CM team and or whoever creates the gapps packages!

Alternate method if you have a custom recovery:
    1. Download the Disable.OTA.Updates.zip file and flash in CWM (this will install fotakill and clear cach for you)

*Thanks to tdunham for alternate method!
    Q. There are so many modems and with the JellyBean leaked modems, things got real confusing. What modems can I use with which ROM?

A. Just remember one thing. With the leaked JB stock samsung builds and custom TouchWiz ROMs based off of these leaked builds, you can ONLY use the leaked JellyBean modems. These leaked JellyBean modems will NOT work with ANY previous GB and ICS builds or AOSP JellyBean ROMs.

Note:- You CANNOT flash any modem using the EL29 directboot kernel.
    Hey BluesRulez, you might want to add the descriptor for our phone describing for the newb what it is and is not. That the Epic 4G Touch is Sprint USA's version of the Samsung Galaxy SII (Model SPH-D710). What I mean is at least a couple of times a week we see someone who has flashed an international version of a ROM or kernel and borked their phone.
    Thanks for the work and contributions. Hope more will come and contribute and more importantly read this too. ;)
    Sorry to take up a post but I am happy that this thread is still put to good use. Thank you all!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk