[Q] Should I wait, or should I just buy?

Search This thread

ghost55

Sep 19, 2010
So, A few really good locking tablets came out of CES 2011, The Notion Ink Adam, and the Motorola Xoom. Both run basically identical internal hardware, the only difference between the two being the OS (stock 3.0 vs a heavily modified version of 2.2). I am trying to decide to get the Adam now, or wait a few months, so I have a few very specific questions:
1. Which wifi only version will be cheaper, and how much will each cost.
2. Which OS experience will be better.
3. Which one has the best extra features (Does the Adam have something cooler then a barometer?)
thanks.

ksizzle9

Jun 17, 2010
Knoxville
Xoom will have the best tablet designed OS, at least u would think. But then again the adam has been in the works for about the past 2 years lol so it should be in good shape.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

lilmikz

Jan 6, 2011
Just letting you know that the Motorola Xoom was only running a stock version of 3.0 in the videos shown of it. I think the adam will supply you with the best of both worlds with eden and then swipe up and have normal andoird. Also Notion Ink is going to update the Adam to 3.0 when it comes out and they plan to work fast and hard on it to get the update out. Personally i think you would be sacrificing a lot of extra features such as full size usb ports, Pixel Qi display, A lot of community support and other features. Also just because Motorola has 3.0 first doesn't mean its going to be the best. A lot of companies will learn from their mistakes and improve as time goes on. Look at motorola's mobile phones with andoid some people love the ui and some people hate it.

Kartiel

Aug 16, 2010
I preorder a Adam but I cancel my order after I saw the xoom at CES. I know the xoom doesn't offer as much of features as Adam but one thing a really hate is companies making their own UI to go but their products. I like my android experience stock. The xoom is going to be a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

gbishop18

May 23, 2010
queensbury,NY
The Xoom does have a custom ui. Blur. It was running stock 3.0 at ces but it won't be when u get it. And all you have to do is swipe up and you have stock on the Adam. From what i've read the Xoom is shipping with 2.3 and will be upgraded to 3.0 at a later date.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

ghost55

Sep 19, 2010
The Xoom does have a custom ui. Blur. It was running stock 3.0 at ces but it won't be when u get it. And all you have to do is swipe up and you have stock on the Adam. From what i've read the Xoom is shipping with 2.3 and will be upgraded to 3.0 at a later date.

I have a hard time seeing that happen.

bluelt1ss

Sep 27, 2010
at this point they seem close enough in comparison that im going to buy whichever becomes available first since i missed the first preorder of the notion.

gbishop18

May 23, 2010
queensbury,NY
Correction on my part. I guess Xoom is shipping with honeycomb. It was the fact that it won't ship LTE capable but will be upgradable to it later. Sorry for the mistake.

ksizzle9

Jun 17, 2010
Knoxville
Douche bag the xoom will have plain ole honeycomb on it. That is the custom ui. Don't hate because it will be better than your adam. Im very excited about the adam but don't make up lies about the xoom to boost your self esteem

ksidirt

Jul 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Douche bag the xoom will have plain ole honeycomb on it. That is the custom ui. Don't hate because it will be better than your adam. Im very excited about the adam but don't make up lies about the xoom to boost your self esteem

No dude. Do the research. The Xoom is shipping with stock 3.0 but an update is going to be pushed to have Blur integrated.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/motoblur-coming-to-xoom-as-software-update-still-considered-goo/

And the Xoom is going to cost at least $800. Forget that. Adam all the way.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/motorola-xoom-priced-at-800-at-a-minimum-according-to-verizon/

LordLugard

Apr 25, 2008
NYC
No dude. Do the research. The Xoom is shipping with stock 3.0 but an update is going to be pushed to have Blur integrated.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/motoblur-coming-to-xoom-as-software-update-still-considered-goo/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/motorola-xoom-priced-at-800-at-a-minimum-according-to-verizon/

The same link you reference has since being updated. Xoom is not having moto blur, stock 3.0.

Nospin

Nov 20, 2010
UI's are pretty pointless, seeing you can just root and throw a custom rom on it. If the adam gets good reviews and dev support, you can bet a stock ui will be made. If you get a xoom you may even be able to throw eden on there, as long as motorola doesn't lock it tight.

So no fighting guys.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

ghost55

Sep 19, 2010
I read that the xoom will be $800, and the cheapest Adam will be $375.
the path is obvious, considering the fact that they have nearly the same internals.

el-zilcho

Sep 17, 2009

+1 , Motorola makes garbage , I use their products almost every day . Notionink Qi or bust !!!

joshua.lyon

Dec 20, 2010
Dallas, TX
boshdirect.com
I pre-ordered a NI Adam and I'm anxiously awaiting it, but I am impressed by the Xoom. The Xoom display is higher resolution, the bezels appear to be much thinner, and it comes stock with more internal memory. It will be interesting to see how the screen quality compares on the NI Adam to the Xoom. On the other hand, the swivel camera of the NI seems pretty cool -- although some find it to be gimicky. And it's still not clear to me how the HDMI works on the Xoom -- is it a mini/micro HDMI, through a dock, or regular HDMI right on the tablet?

If at a later point in time Motorola releases a Wifi only model at a lower price point (even with only 16GB of memory), I might be interested in picking one of those up...

Last edited:

inspiron41

Account currently disabled
Dec 13, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
i'm more interested in overall quality of the UI and apps that support tablet. Those who pre-ordered Adam did so with the intension of being upgraded to Honeycomb. Honeycomb is truly where all the tablets need to be at, because the all current Market application are not optimized for tablets. I went with adam because of the PQ. it might not be the cutting edge high end resolution, but my battery life is great. i can go though 12hrs easily...make me wonder if i should do a time lapse photography of how long the battery on the Notion Ink can last. but yes, the XOOM does has its advantages. if only the two can merge some how lol!

joshua.lyon

Dec 20, 2010
Dallas, TX
boshdirect.com
i'm more interested in overall quality of the UI and apps that support tablet. Those who pre-ordered Adam did so with the intension of being upgraded to Honeycomb. Honeycomb is truly where all the tablets need to be at, because the all current Market application are not optimized for tablets. I went with adam because of the PQ. it might not be the cutting edge high end resolution, but my battery life is great. i can go though 12hrs easily...make me wonder if i should do a time lapse photography of how long the battery on the Notion Ink can last. but yes, the XOOM does has its advantages. if only the two can merge some how lol!

I have some doubts that NotionInk will be able to quickly release Honeycomb on their tablets. Unless Google has a major change of opinion -- it doesn't really make sense for Google to allow NotionInk to put Honeycomb on their device (at least with full Google Apps support) if NotionInk will really be including their own "market" on the device (aka Genesis). It will be really interesting to see how Google / NotionInk handle Honeycomb.

Regardless, I'm sure someone here at XDA-devs will get Honeycomb on the Adam pretty quick. It would be nice to see a merge of the NI adam and the Xoom. I'd really just like to see the Adam with really thin bezels (like their prototypes) and with a good quality display (higher resolution, good contrast/colors, and great viewing angle).