BBC News Mobile - Mango Beta

Search This thread
Hi,

I'm running an open beta for the new mango version. If you have a mango device and some time I would really appreciate any and all feedback.

The xap is available on my blog http://gripdev.wordpress.com

thanks, will check it out later today and comment.
cheers

just got a chance to look at it. Overall great, a little rough. Under 'most read' some news do not show images and there is just an empty spot. looks odd with just the text box. maybe a default image of a newspaper?
when I scroll to the second page of 'most read' it seems to have a different background, a flight map that shows LA?
when I continue to scroll into feeds, the first background comes back but with a semitransparent edge. The swirl of the edge is not smooth and looks broken when it scrolls over.
when entering any of the news or feeds the the menu bar at bottom doesn't appear smoothly and sticks instead of hiding.
when I am in one Feed, e.g. 'world' would be nice to swipe left and get into the next feed in the feed list instead of going back to it.
when I close the app and reopen it, I am greeted with the splash screen and then for a few seconds a black page with only the green strips at the left and two white dots top right (where the refresh and setting button show up) and 'feeds' label. it then moves to home. It doesn't matter from where I leave the program it always comes back to this.
looks good so far

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback didn't see it before I published the new version today but will work on these for the next beta build.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated

behh

Jan 19, 2011
live tile is updating very often and its cool, app works fluent and looks nice.
Well made app overall.

New beta hopefully fixing these issues is now available, let me know what you think.

I like it a lot :).

1) I still would like to see sideways slide in the feeds section, just like on the main page. Coming from the main page and sliding horizontally to next page, I intuitively try the same in the feed section just to remind myself that I have to go back first before I can go to the next feed.

2) I know I am picky. the live tile doesn't look right. the text is not centered correctly, it does odd line breaks and lines up with right side (no space between letters and edge of tile) . the background in the top part should be either them color or just white. the white/red stuff towards the right of the images is distracting. The news image is not centered in the top tile, leaving unequal white edges around it. Would be cool to have the live tile flip horizontal once in a while to accent it.
How about top half image fills tile completely, bottom half tile uses theme color.

otherwise great for a German living in the US (No Tagesschau or Spiegel yet)

thank you

Last edited:

zard

Jul 19, 2005
Just downloaded 2.65 xap. Will give you some feedbacks soon. Thanks.

zard

Jul 19, 2005
Just downloaded 2.65 xap. Will give you some feedbacks soon. Thanks.

Great piece of work. Running on Mango 7720, works fine. The only feedback I have is the way "Latest" news was implemented. The "white" color fonts on top of the "BBC" background makes the "Latest" news very difficult to read. If the background of the "Latest" news is not translucent, that would probably help.

BTW, is there breaking news like the non-mango version, although this doesn't seem to be working since I upgraded to Mango 7720 or was it a few days before I tested 2.65 xap.

Top Liked Posts