[Q] Help! Phone bricked itself trying to update. Factory Reset isn't helping!

Search This thread

RawrNate

Oct 29, 2011
Uh oh, I'm unable to temporarily boot any sort of recovery onto the phone.
Well, I think it's a lost cause now. Can't do anything with it anymore :/ Thank you so much for your support, though!

a_lithium

Jul 5, 2014
You are welcome. Too bad, we couldn't fix your device. :/

It's all cool but i still exactly has the same problem as topicstarter. and also try to all described above methods. And try custom ROM with no success. So, i still want to find resolving of this strange issue. I can't send device back to google. cause live in not supported country
Thanks

CCody

Apr 29, 2013
It's all cool but i still exactly has the same problem as topicstarter. and also try to all described above methods. And try custom ROM with no success. So, i still want to find resolving of this strange issue. I can't send device back to google. cause live in not supported country
Thanks

It seems that this is a common issue of Nexus 4 devices. I really don't have any solutions anymore, if a factory reset doesn't help at all.
Did you download the factory image from here? https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and flashed it via fastboot?

Under normal circumstances I would suggest you to send me your device over, so that I can take a look at it, but I can imagine you living very very far away :D

CalculatedRisk

Jan 20, 2013
Hmm, this sounds like a failing memory chip, no? The chip will slowly degrade until nothing works.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Try locking the bootloader and then rebooting. Does it stay locked? If not sounds like your emmc is bad

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/help/strange-issue-nexus-4-bootloops-4-3-4-4-t2784609

Had exact same issue.

Basically phone becomes incompatible with all 4.3/4.4 builds. However mine boots up with 4.2 variants. Try downloading the oldest factory image available from Google for the N4 and then give it a good 5 minutes to boot up (no like seriously, give it at least 150 slow Mississippis)

This can't be a memory, NAND or eMMC issue since some early builds boot whereas newer ones don't.

CalculatedRisk

Jan 20, 2013
Wasn't aware that earlier builds booted as it was never mentioned before. Very interesting, though. Wonder what is causing this.

Even_Flow

Jan 4, 2014
One more case

Wasn't aware that earlier builds booted as it was never mentioned before. Very interesting, though. Wonder what is causing this.

Have a N4. I've made all I could. Recovery, Fastboot, CWM, Wipes... I've flashed several Stock and Cyano Roms and, with all versions from 4.3, the phone stucks in Google logo.

It works fine with any version based in 4.2.

At the end, I've discovered something: If you install a 4.3 and flash the 4.2.2. radio, it works!. However, I've tried it lost the wifi signal sometimes (I think its normal with a different radio version). So All seems to show that the problem is located o the radio's Software.

Note: If you flash a 4.4, it doesn't matter that you flash the radio. Stucks.

Think we have a big problem here, guys...

CCody

Apr 29, 2013
Have a N4. I've made all I could. Recovery, Fastboot, CWM, Wipes... I've flashed several Stock and Cyano Roms and, with all versions from 4.3, the phone stucks in Google logo.

It works fine with any version based in 4.2.

At the end, I've discovered something: If you install a 4.3 and flash the 4.2.2. radio, it works!. However, I've tried it lost the wifi signal sometimes (I think its normal with a different radio version). So All seems to show that the problem is located o the radio's Software.

Note: If you flash a 4.4, it doesn't matter that you flash the radio. Stucks.

Think we have a big problem here, guys...
This is what I assume for some days. There must be a very big issue with 4.4.4. I do not know how to solve this problem either, but do know a lot of leople who have this problem with 4.4.4...

Even_Flow

Jan 4, 2014
This is what I assume for some days. There must be a very big issue with 4.4.4. I do not know how to solve this problem either, but do know a lot of leople who have this problem with 4.4.4...

And I don't have Google warranty yet. Does it mean I'm f***d?.

Okay. It's supposed that Nexus is the most stable, pure and functional Android phone (In fact IT'S A GOOGLE PHONE). If this error is so usual (and it starts to be recognised by several users), Is this the image Android wants to have?.

Sincerely. I cannot imagine something like this in an IOS or WP phone... And I've had Iphones, Lumias and some Android ones.

Terrifyng.

CCody

Apr 29, 2013
And I don't have Google warranty yet. Does it mean I'm f***d?.

Okay. It's supposed that Nexus is the most stable, pure and functional Android phone (In fact IT'S A GOOGLE PHONE). If this error is so usual (and it starts to be recognised by several users), Is this the image Android wants to have?.

Sincerely. I cannot imagine something like this in an IOS or WP phone... And I've had Iphones, Lumias and some Android ones.

Terrifyng.

Well, that's what iOS is known for. They are rock stable, but no one can mess around with the source code, which means no custom roms or kernels. iOS is simple and easy to handle. Not more and not less.
I might be wrong and please excuse me for this way of thinking, but since google has announced android L or android 5, they seem to neglect 4.4.4. I never experience such a big issue with an android version before...

Even_Flow

Jan 4, 2014
Well, that's what iOS is known for. They are rock stable, but no one can mess around with the source code, which means no custom roms or kernels. iOS is simple and easy to handle. Not more and not less.
I might be wrong and please excuse me for this way of thinking, but since google has announced android L or android 5, they seem to neglect 4.4.4. I never experience such a big issue with an android version before...

Telling my terrible story to someone, I've heard that 4.3's radio gives support (or directly unlocks) the LTE support.

Can it be the cause?. Is that true?. Is just b*****it? XD

All sounds very strange, in fact...

CCody

Apr 29, 2013
Telling my terrible story to someone, I've heard that 4.3's radio gives support (or directly unlocks) the LTE support.

Can it be the cause?. Is that true?. Is just b*****it? XD

All sounds very strange, in fact...
Indeed the nexus 4 can handle lte, since there is a 4g module installed, but not activated. There are mods where you can open your 4g. I dont know if this is related with your issue.

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
The issue isn't related to 4.4.4 specifically. It manifests in updates and/or flashes to *all* 4.3 and 4.4.

For anyone facing this issue, only 4.2 builds will work.
4.3 builds will half work with 4.2 radios
4.4 builds will not work at all, the phone simply becomes incompatible with Kitkat

Motherboard replacement works, IC replacement doesn't (Not sure what LG meant by IC, but they said they replaced IC but that din't fix it, MB replacement did coz that's essentially a new phone in old shell)

mohit2387

Jun 13, 2014
Delhi
Very very sorry to hear about this.
I read the entire thread and each post, rather for a moment, I felt that you phone motherboard got corrupted because you tested many things in one go..

What I really wanted to understand is how and when this got started?

I mean what you did actually that caused you this ? Is it the OTA update of 4.4.4 or you updated to 4.4.4 ? and then the problems started ?

The reason, I am asking this is - I am still on 4.4.3 - rooted on stock rom, I got the OTA update, and the moment I start to update.. After the screen says installing update, it says no command and shows error. Is this what happened with you. ?

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
In my case it just happened one fine day when I restarted the phone because I had changed SIMs. No update, no OTA, never rooted, never unlocked bootloader, completely stock. It was running 4.4.2 at the time

Top Liked Posts