[NEW HW] Planning on developing an open source Android based Pesonal Storage Device
I am planning on starting a project to develop my idea of a PSD.
Essentially the primary goal is to bring many benefits of cloud storage, offline but always available in your pocket.
It will be a light weight, battery and USB powered portable SSD. It will run Linux, or rather, Android.
Some planned features:
- Bluetooth master and slave connectivity
- Custom apps will allow use of PSD as part of your normal Bluetooth PAN.
- This allows you to control and copy files from your smartphone and tablet with our app.
- Music can be played through bluetooth headphones.
- USB powered, charging, device and host (USB OTG) modes
- can act as media device or mass storage (or debug)
- can act as a host to sync files from memory cards, cameras, USB hard drives without a PC
- WiFi AP, WiFi Direct and WiFi connectivity
- can host a WiFi network, connect with WiFi direct or become part of an existing network.
- share files with multiple devices
- seamlessly expand a phone or tablet or pc or digital cameras storage
- HDMI output
- can be hooked up to HDMI capable display to show content, stream and play movies, pictures, etc.
- coupled with bluetooth or usb mouse and keyboard and it can be controlled directly.
- poss. model with optional ethernet+
- would poss. use two SSDs for RAID0 for data integrity.
- OpenSource! use it as a pocket webserver, a netflix box, whatever you want.
- device partitioning would allow all devices to have their own storage or share space as you wish.
I am hoping 256gb can be done for under $200, ideally $100.
My question is, would you want one??
I am going to put a plan together to try and crowdfund maybe $5000-$10000 to enable me to assemble a tiny team, get development tools and start building the prototypes and software in order to make it a truly functional and refined product before if or when it goes into production. I have all the expertise I need myself to design it, build it and write the software, but while I may be capable, two heads ARE better than one.. (hence opensource).. I will need some people to build the team to spearhead this....
Comments, feedback, coffee, peanuts, mayhem and doom appreciated.