Developer Edition Verizon GSIII with Unlockable Bootloader

Search This thread

Mazomark

Mar 10, 2011
Nowhere, Wisconsin
This is really a kick in the privates. Do I return phone now? And if I do, what are chances this developer phone is even available anytime soon. Or keep the one I have and hope the community can open it up.

Here's an idea for you Verizon. Offer an unlock tool. Require us to agree that if we use said unlock tool and brick our phone, we're on our own - no warranty. I'd bet a lot of people would take you up on that. Verizon doesn't have to provide customer service to bricks caused by noobs trying to install a GSM custom ROM. And people who really want the freedom to customize their own phone will have that freedom. Everybody wins.

KevTN

Dec 12, 2010
Chattanooga
What a crock!! This shows that they can sell an unlocked boot loaded phone n VZW...

Hey Verizon and Samsung guess screw ya both..

Imatoasta

Nov 18, 2011
Anybody down for a raid of the Samsung servers that house the boot loader key? I'll bring the crow bar.

E30kid

Jul 28, 2009
This is awesome for me as I don't want to use an upgrade (unlimited data) and I have an iPhone 4S to sell. I should be able to get a 32GB for around $200 out of pocket. I was just about to trade my 4S for a Galaxy Nexus before this news because of the locked bootloader.

I still don't understand why Verizon decided that locking the bootloader was a good idea. Why did they feel the need to be the only carrier on the planet who was dumb enough to pull this stuff?

Also, to the people who are saying that this is a money-making scheme by Verizon, this thing is being sold on Samsung's own site, so I'm not sure how Verizon will make money on this deal.

Gadgetz

Jun 5, 2011
Also, to the people who are saying that this is a money-making scheme by Verizon, this thing is being sold on Samsung's own site, so I'm not sure how Verizon will make money on this deal.
So Verizon won't be making any money off the monthly costs of customers will have to pay to use their service?

Neverendingxsin

Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
My guess for the reason why Verizon wouldn't sell it as an unlocked phone is because then they have to honor your warranty, problems, etc. But if you have to buy it through Samsung then Verizon doesn't have to deal with any of that.

E30kid

Jul 28, 2009
By having people not leave their network?

So Verizon won't be making any money off the monthly costs of customers will have to pay to use their service?
People framed it as some sort of scheme where Verizon would be making much more money than they normally would. It's assumed that they would be making money off of people on their service, but I don't believe that they are all too worried about people like us on XDA, otherwise they would have released it with an unsigned bootloader like everyone else.

This seems more like something that Samsung did to save face and to sell additional phones to people like us.

My guess for the reason why Verizon wouldn't sell it as an unlocked phone is because then they have to honor your warranty, problems, etc. But if you have to buy it through Samsung then Verizon doesn't have to deal with any of that.
This explanation seems to make the most sense overall.

Gadgetz

Jun 5, 2011
People framed it as some sort of scheme where Verizon would be making much more money than they normally would. It's assumed that they would be making money off of people on their service, but I don't believe that they are all too worried about people like us on XDA, otherwise they would have released it with an unsigned bootloader like everyone else.

This seems more like something that Samsung did to save face and to sell additional phones to people like us.

This explanation seems to make the most sense overall.
Verizons stance on locked bootloaders is that it's a security issue. Just seems awfully hypocritical with the release of this device.

mattydangerfox

May 1, 2012
Chicago
I still want Verizon to explain what is so different about their network that needs to be protected by locking the bootloader. Is there something they know that every other provider doesn't? It's such a joke.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

inm8num2

Jul 14, 2011

But doesn't rooting void the warranty? If so your point doesn't stand.

If someone complains to Verizon about a rooted phone, their claim is nullified because they violated the warranty. So it doesn't make a difference either way.

This is all just business. Samsung agreed to Verizon's terms then convinced them to allow selling unlocked phones separately. What Samsung should really have done is tell Verizon to get lost because the GS3 would sell well on the other carriers. Maybe they did try to leverage that and Verizon didn't bite...I don't know.

cell128

Oct 4, 2008
Lomita,CA
I got a question. Lets say u buy one of these phones with unlock able bootloader wont we still need to flash Verizon specific roms? I don't think there will be a strong development community because not everyone wants to spend $600 for they're device

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Neverendingxsin

Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
I got a question. Lets say u buy one of these phones with unlock able bootloader wont we still need to flash Verizon specific roms? I don't think there will be a strong development community because not everyone wants to spend $600 for they're device

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This phone will be identical to the current verizon one except for the unlockable bootloader. So any rom made for the one with a locked bootloader will work on this one. Having the developer one will just make flashing roms, kernels, etc a whole lot easier. For anybody that bought the phone at full retail anyways (like myself) buying from samsung is just better since we already have to spend full retail.

Also the developer phone would be the phone that a lot of the ROM dev's use to make there rom's.

But doesn't rooting void the warranty? If so your point doesn't stand.

If someone complains to Verizon about a rooted phone, their claim is nullified because they violated the warranty. So it doesn't make a difference either way.

This is all just business. Samsung agreed to Verizon's terms then convinced them to allow selling unlocked phones separately. What Samsung should really have done is tell Verizon to get lost because the GS3 would sell well on the other carriers. Maybe they did try to leverage that and Verizon didn't bite...I don't know.

They still waste a lot of time and money troubleshooting issues with phones that they don't know are rooted. Nobody is gonna call in and say "I rooted my phone and now it doesn't get past the bootloader. Helllp!" (Or if they do, they are idiots).

This is why they should make a sanctioned unlock, where you agree that your warranty will be voided.

lowandbehold

Feb 26, 2011
Vandling, PA
This phone will be identical to the current verizon one except for the unlockable bootloader. So any rom made for the one with a locked bootloader will work on this one. Having the developer one will just make flashing roms, kernels, etc a whole lot easier. For anybody that bought the phone at full retail anyways (like myself) buying from samsung is just better since we already have to spend full retail.

Also the developer phone would be the phone that a lot of the ROM dev's use to make there rom's.

So you think there is going to be a ton of devs that come $600 out of pocket to purchase a phone? There MIGHT be a few devs that buy it, but that will hardly make a difference. People considering purchasing this need to think twice about it. They are going to be flashing the same ROM's as the locked down ones! So why put more money in Verizon's pocket?!?!

Elite49

Jul 5, 2011
If anyone buys this then your nuts. Your giving into VZW and now Samsung. Start sending BBB complaints to both. I want it unlocked but not for $600, I don't care about phones that much.

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
So you think there is going to be a ton of devs that come $600 out of pocket to purchase a phone? There MIGHT be a few devs that buy it, but that will hardly make a difference. People considering purchasing this need to think twice about it. They are going to be flashing the same ROM's as the locked down ones! So why put more money in Verizon's pocket?!?!

You are assuming that the same rom that works on the unlocked device will work on the locked ones. I feel that will be the case, but what if there is a hardware measure that enforces the protection?

Sent from my DROIDX using xda premium

lowandbehold

Feb 26, 2011
Vandling, PA
You are assuming that the same rom that works on the unlocked device will work on the locked ones. I feel that will be the case, but what if there is a hardware measure that enforces the protection?

Sent from my DROIDX using xda premium

Not all ROM's made for the unlocked will work on a locked. My reasoning behind that? It is not just the bootloader that is the issue in the Verizon GSIII. The kernel is also encrypted. So why it is still possible to root and install custom ROM's with the locked bootloader, I think the kernel presents the larger issue. It is VERY VERY difficult to get stable AOSP ROM's using the stock kernel. The most you could hope for are some stock based ROM's with Touchwiz removed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What a pile of steaming ****.
    **** you, Verizon.
    Cleaned, let's keep this on topic and friendly.
    This could be good news for us. Looks like Samsung is getting some heat from us. I say keep the calls to Samsung going and also the facebook comments going. I keep telling that I'm returning because of this. They don't want to hear this..... Keep going guys...

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda app-developers app
    Trust me, I'm not complaining. I'm just pissed that samsung doesn't offer any means of upgrading to the next os. I mean, they'll sell you a phone today with the most current os. Least they could do is provide a tar.
    You do have a point there, that Samsung should offer updates for these phones. It can't be all that difficult to provide updates, even manual, since they do it already prior to sending the files to VZW to, um, "upgrade", then push to devices.
    This pisses me off even more than the bootloader being locked in the first place. Not only would I have to sell my normal S3, I'd have to wait for one of the developer ones, most likely with a tiny stock, to ship to me. I don't know how Samsung could possibly think this is a valid solution after the majority of people who want to hack their phone bought it when it came out.