Backup When Going to New ROM?

Search This thread

Medikay

Jun 4, 2011
I'm moving to the R4 release of Eugene's CM7 (From Jugg 5.0), and was wondering what the best way to backup my current data would be. Previously, I was forced to revert to Jugg 5.0 when multiple errors came up after trying to restore from TB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chochiwpg

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm moving to the R4 release of Eugene's CM7 (From Jugg 5.0), and was wondering what the best way to backup my current data would be. Previously, I was forced to revert to Jugg 5.0 when multiple errors came up after trying to restore from TB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To backup your emails and contacts the best way is to use your gmail account. when you flash a new ROM it will ask you to sign in with your account and you will get all your emails and contacts back.

To get all your text messages and call logs back I use an app called SMS Backup +. It backs up all your SMS and MMS messages and call logs to your gmail account. After you flash a new ROM just press restore and they will all be back again.

To back up your user apps with data I use Titanium Backup and select the option to backup all user apps. This will back up all the apps you have downloaded with data included. Do not backup system apps with data because this may cause problems when flashing a new ROM. Once new ROM is flashed go back to Titanium backup and restore all apps with data.

You should be good to go.

iLeopard

Dec 12, 2011
College Station
To backup your emails and contacts the best way is to use your gmail account. when you flash a new ROM it will ask you to sign in with your account and you will get all your emails and contacts back.

To get all your text messages and call logs back I use an app called SMS Backup +. It backs up all your SMS and MMS messages and call logs to your gmail account. After you flash a new ROM just press restore and they will all be back again.

To back up your user apps with data I use Titanium Backup and select the option to backup all user apps. This will back up all the apps you have downloaded with data included. Do not backup system apps with data because this may cause problems when flashing a new ROM. Once new ROM is flashed go back to Titanium backup and restore all apps with data.

Nandroid backups do this entirely however youb might experience issues with importing data such as applications. So of you just wanna keep a backup in case if emergency just do a nandroid, burbif you wanna carry over data from just do what Chochi suggested

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chochiwpg

Chochiwpg

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Nandroid backups do this entirely however youb might experience issues with importing data such as applications. So of you just wanna keep a backup in case if emergency just do a nandroid, burbif you wanna carry over data from just do what Chochi suggested

As iLeopard said, always make a nandroid first. It will backup everything from the current ROM you are running. Just in case the new ROM doesn't work out for you or things don't run properly, just restore your nandroid and you are back to where you were before flashing the new ROM.

Medikay

Jun 4, 2011
As iLeopard said, always make a nandroid first. It will backup everything from the current ROM you are running. Just in case the new ROM doesn't work out for you or things don't run properly, just restore your nandroid and you are back to where you were before flashing the new ROM.

Doesn't making a full user apps + system data Titanium Backup do the same thing?

Chochiwpg

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Doesn't making a full user apps + system data Titanium Backup do the same thing?

No, when you backup system data you are backing up everything on your system. All the widgets, wifi settings, gps etc etc. You only want to backup the apps you downloaded. If you backup system data it could conflict with settings in the new ROM when you try and restore.

iLeopard

Dec 12, 2011
College Station
No, when you backup system data you are backing up everything on your system. All the widgets, wifi settings, gps etc etc. You only want to backup the apps you downloaded. If you backup system data it could conflict with settings in the new ROM when you try and restore.

Indeed. Personally I don't even recommend restoring applications. To ensure that you don't get any erros I suggest you download apps fresh from the play store

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.