General Battery Usage Discussion

Search This thread

Zaihanzainal

Hello, I'm starting this thread to actually discuss general battery usage patterns/ concerns. I figure this might be helpful for some people if not then..... =P
currently im using stock gb battery monitor to roughly monitor my battery usage, there is a mod to make the reading more accurate but i havent applied it yet...

Also... lets put up screen of the best battery life we've managed to get our phones here heee, would be fun to see =P

--
question is,
1) is it normal for mobile standby and phone idle to be ard 50% ish?
2) is it normal for my phone to stay in awake mode when i turn on the alarm
--
On Zeus v3n

Last edited:

Zaihanzainal

Sent from my LG-P970 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1331532012798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1331532012798.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 785

joenbrinch

Sep 17, 2011
løgumkloster
Nice idea..
I charge my OB every night, and reboot after alarm in the morning. I dunno if it is from alarm or charging but if I don´t reboot the juice is gone in about 8 h. also battery usage app is frozen. I have this issue on every ROM, ( stock 2.3,CM7 from kang to about 60, marvell, zeus test v2.1, nova v8).
If i do the reboot in the morning the phone uses about 50% of the battery during the day (17 h). i use it for a few sms´s and calls, about an hour of websurf (wifi) and some facebook/ Xda usage..

Zaihanzainal

Nice idea..
I charge my OB every night, and reboot after alarm in the morning. I dunno if it is from alarm or charging but if I don´t reboot the juice is gone in about 8 h. also battery usage app is frozen. I have this issue on every ROM, ( stock 2.3,CM7 from kang to about 60, marvell, zeus test v2.1, nova v8).
If i do the reboot in the morning the phone uses about 50% of the battery during the day (17 h). i use it for a few sms´s and calls, about an hour of websurf (wifi) and some facebook/ Xda usage..

I dunno, if in not mistaken, when you reboot it deletes your old battery stats bin but I'm still trying to understand how resetting a stat could make the battery last longer its what most battery calibration apps claim to do...
For me once a week I manually delete the stats thru cwm and yeah it does make the battery seem more resilient.....

And yeah I got the same again as my photo again, phone stays awake when I turn alarm on.... :/

bayaku

Aug 19, 2011
João Pessoa
I did all in my battery, but the maximum is a day and a half!
Depends on the intensity of use.

I'm using Android 2.2.2, v10a

jason600

Nov 26, 2009
I dunno, if in not mistaken, when you reboot it deletes your old battery stats bin but I'm still trying to understand how resetting a stat could make the battery last longer its what most battery calibration apps claim to do...
For me once a week I manually delete the stats thru cwm and yeah it does make the battery seem more resilient.....

Deleting batterystats.bin does nothing to callibrate your battery. It just stores info, like a logger. BatteryUsage retrieves the info to display it.

Check this link for a more detailed post from a Dianne Hackborn, an Android system developer for Google: https://plus.google.com/u/0/105051985738280261832/posts/FV3LVtdVxPT

Reactions: Zaihanzainal

jason600

Nov 26, 2009
very good info for affirmation! thanks!
ok so calibrating battery after flashing a new rom is for??
and my questions in the op has anyone experienced the same things?..... =P

Something is causing a wakelock, what happened to you is not normal. Usually a reboot solves things like that, if it doesnt, then it will either be a rom bug or an app holding the wakelock. Use Better Battery Stats to find whats causing it.

Zaihanzainal

thanks for the app recommendation found that my dialer is causing a portion of my wake lock..... and system too.... hmmmm

ok lets just say my dialer keeping my phone in a wake lock is caused by malware... would a clean install of a rom and manually reinstalling of apps w/o data get rid of the malware?

meanwhile... googling wakelocks =D

KC Boutiette

Jan 16, 2012
Hi, I have some experience with sudden huge battery drains and wakelocks etc. both on stock V20N and Zeus v3.2n. I did not figure out how/why it works but here are some things you can try. I did not have any huge battery drains anymore the last 24h! (on Zeus v3.2n, did not try on V20N stock)
- I have an IMAP email account installed with K9 mail and an ordinary hotmail account with the hotmail app. Both accounts are set on push and in this configuration the hotmail app causes my wifi to never go to sleep, causing increased battery drain. Removing the hotmail app solves the problem.
- automatic update of time and date settings can cause wakelock. Unchecking Settings > Date & time settings > Automatic might solve your problem. I read this somewhere on XDA.
- Use wireless networks to determine location might cause wakelocks as well. Unchecking Settings > Location & Security > Use wireless networks might solve your problem. Read this somewhere on XDA again.

As I said, I did all of this and my wakelock problem is gone for at least 24h! Now I already have 60h on one battery and still 43% left... I cannot remember the threads where I read about this but if needed I can search... Also I did not try yet whether any single thing actually caused my problem. I just killed all of it as I do not miss it I am happy. Keep me updated if you found out which one worked for you ;)

Tip: the BetterBatteryStats app is written by somebody on the XDA forum, you can download the apk for free from some thread in XDA (search is your friend)

Reactions: Zaihanzainal

schurgatzi

Mar 5, 2012
I think a day and a half is a good battery lifetime for the OB, if there is no app or something that drains the battery in a hard way.

I can manage to get this with the marvel rom, and my personal user-settings. Also i think every smartphone u can actually get needs to be charged around every 24 hours.

yasirshafiq

Jul 3, 2011
I also want to share my experience. I use the cm7 2.3 gb rom and the battery response is very bad. Battery completely dead in 18 hours. Then i switched to v20n german gb rom. It gives me better battery timing about 28 -30 hours on normal use. The i change the settings of account syncronization of gmail, hotmail, facebook etc to manual. Then there is a big difference in battery drainage. Now my battery consumed in 48 hours on normal use.

Sent from my LG-P970 using XDA

yasirshafiq

Jul 3, 2011
On android phones, if yours phone gives u 24 hours backup then it has good battery timing. Further you can increase the timing through the steps and trick mentioned by different peoples in this thread

Sent from my LG-P970 using XDA

aveenhuysen

Dec 11, 2011
Barcelona
Battery should last at least 18 hours on normal usage with 3G and sync with gmail , contacts and calendar. Sometimes you just turn off so many things to just make it home with some battery in it....

gusthy

Apr 15, 2010
Thank you for the wakelock tips.
It seems that V20o is way better than all the other ROMS concerning battery, without any tweak. Maybe it can be further optimizet with tweaks.

A short comment: it is true that theoretically battery is kernel related issue, but in a real world high battery drain is usually caused by bad apps and other non-kernel related things.

blackcurse

Mar 21, 2012
using zeus v5.03 lite.
battery drains so much when the screen off. nearly 1 percent in every 2 minutes.
but it is ok when the screen off

Zaihanzainal

Ok wasn't an sod but a random reboot, and it reset my apn settings twice when that happened

Zeus v6
Underclock to 800mhz
Interactive x
Deadline
--
Now on 800mhz
Smartass 2
Noop

With 2nd settings its ok so far no random things

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1332819012999.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332819012999.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 212
Reactions: ashvinfroyo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    very good info for affirmation! thanks!
    ok so calibrating battery after flashing a new rom is for??
    and my questions in the op has anyone experienced the same things?..... =P

Something is causing a wakelock, what happened to you is not normal. Usually a reboot solves things like that, if it doesnt, then it will either be a rom bug or an app holding the wakelock. Use Better Battery Stats to find whats causing it.
    But will cold temps cause it to act weird also?

You have to remember that batteries (Li-Ion included) don't like cold too much, cold as in close to or under 0 degrees Celsius. They will discharge a lot faster and sometimes they will not give consistent voltage which will make the device (our phone in this case) go berserk.
    I know from my DSLR camera that under 0 degrees Celsius the battery will only last half as much (or even less) than at 15-20 degrees.

You can read more HERE, the important part :
    Cold temperature increases the internal resistance and diminishes the capacity. Batteries that would provide 100 percent capacity at 27°C (80°F) will typically deliver only 50 percent at –18°C (0°F). The capacity decrease is linear with temperature. Li-ion also performs better at high temperatures than at low ones. Heat lowers the internal resistance but this stresses the battery. Warming a dying flashlight or cellular phone battery in your jean pocket might provide additional runtime in the winter

Deleting batterystats.bin does nothing to callibrate your battery. It just stores info, like a logger. BatteryUsage retrieves the info to display it.

Check this link for a more detailed post from a Dianne Hackborn, an Android system developer for Google: https://plus.google.com/u/0/105051985738280261832/posts/FV3LVtdVxPT
    Hi, I have some experience with sudden huge battery drains and wakelocks etc. both on stock V20N and Zeus v3.2n. I did not figure out how/why it works but here are some things you can try. I did not have any huge battery drains anymore the last 24h! (on Zeus v3.2n, did not try on V20N stock)
    - I have an IMAP email account installed with K9 mail and an ordinary hotmail account with the hotmail app. Both accounts are set on push and in this configuration the hotmail app causes my wifi to never go to sleep, causing increased battery drain. Removing the hotmail app solves the problem.
    - automatic update of time and date settings can cause wakelock. Unchecking Settings > Date & time settings > Automatic might solve your problem. I read this somewhere on XDA.
    - Use wireless networks to determine location might cause wakelocks as well. Unchecking Settings > Location & Security > Use wireless networks might solve your problem. Read this somewhere on XDA again.

As I said, I did all of this and my wakelock problem is gone for at least 24h! Now I already have 60h on one battery and still 43% left... I cannot remember the threads where I read about this but if needed I can search... Also I did not try yet whether any single thing actually caused my problem. I just killed all of it as I do not miss it I am happy. Keep me updated if you found out which one worked for you ;)

Tip: the BetterBatteryStats app is written by somebody on the XDA forum, you can download the apk for free from some thread in XDA (search is your friend)
    Latest cm7 nightly.......

Sent from my phone via tapatalk

How the hell did you do this? And what nightly are you using? The Kang, or the official one?