Samsung galaxy S2 and NFC?

Search This thread
G

GuestK00135

So question is, does sgs2 have nfc? some people says that it have nfc and other peoples says that not have nfc, what is true?

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Ok wait wait, let me clarify.

i9100 = NO

i9100P = YES (it's an i9100 exactly, but with NFC. ROMs for i9100 will work, but need to be modified to show NFC settings, otherwise no NFC options will show)

i9100G = NO, it's completely different from the i9100 hardware (TI-OMAP instead of Exynos). ROMs from i9100/P don't work.

T989 (T-Mobile GS2) = YES, but it's completely different from the i9100 hardware (Snapdragon S3 instead of Exynos). ROMs from i9100/P don't work.

i777 (AT&T GS2) = YES* , stock ROMs disable it. ROMs from i9100 work because they're the same phone (it's really an i9100P because it has NFC) but you need to modify button layout or the buttons won't work in the ROM.

D710 (Sprint GS2) = NO

Last edited:

ascsa

Oct 25, 2011
afaik, european S II GT-I9100P comes with NFC ... so if you want a european NFC version, you could try to find a GT-I9100P (e.g orange in France and TIM in Italy ).

...not sure which roms will work ....perhaps the same as on the GT-I9100T ...

Reactions: Product F(RED)

ascsa

Oct 25, 2011
Thanks. I'll fix that.

Hmm, I think there is a nfc version for Europe -> the P version AND an Australian version with nfc- > the T version.... :what:

And Btw. AFAIK they changed the naming of the i9100G to i9100 in April/mai... Because nobody wanted a I9100G.... What a mess!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Last edited:

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Hmm, I think there is a nfc version for Europe -> the P version AND an Australian version with nfc- > the T version.... :what:

And Btw. AFAIK they changed the naming of the i9100G to i9100 in April/mai... Because nobody wanted a I9100G.... What a mess!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Which is messed up because it's a totally different phone and technically misleading...

ChefAnt

Mar 26, 2012
Milwaukee

i9100 = NO

i9100P = YES (it's an i9100 exactly, but with NFC. ROMs for i9100 will work, but need to be modified to show NFC settings, otherwise no NFC options will show)

i9100G = NO, it's completely different from the i9100 hardware (TI-OMAP instead of Exynos). ROMs from i9100/P don't work.

T989 (T-Mobile GS2) = YES, but it's completely different from the i9100 hardware (Snapdragon S3 instead of Exynos). ROMs from i9100/P don't work.

i777 (AT&T GS2) = YES* , stock ROMs disable it. ROMs from i9100 work because they're the same phone (it's really an i9100P because it has NFC) but you need to modify button layout or the buttons won't work in the ROM.

D710 (Sprint GS2) = NO

So my question to you is if stock roms disable NFC on the i777 then why did my box say that it is NFC equipped and I was able to use it stock?

S

snowman77

On my Australian T model it is not supported(doesnt work) but my P model is and (i9100)my standard one has no nfc

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
So my question to you is if stock roms disable NFC on the i777 then why did my box say that it is NFC equipped and I was able to use it stock?

my sgh-i777 has no indication of NFC on the box and was unusable stock. It does say "Near Field Communication" on the battery but I was only allowed to read some tags with a custom rom a while back. I'm on AOKP now and haven't tried anything with NFC as I gave up on it a while ago.
Is NFC fully functional on your i777?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
my sgh-i777 has no indication of NFC on the box and was unusable stock. It does say "Near Field Communication" on the battery but I was only allowed to read some tags with a custom rom a while back. I'm on AOKP now and haven't tried anything with NFC as I gave up on it a while ago.

The i777 is really an i9100P (European I9100 with NFC). So yes it should fully work on a ROM that supports it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: fone_fanatic

Nizda1

Nov 12, 2011
My sgh-i777 obviously came with it but turned off from carrier att. But I've been using nfc since gingerbread a dev entropy got it working back on 2.3.4 release from att. However the problem we do have is the lack of secure element which is why we can't use Google wallet for instance. Theirs been alot of debate over the secure element factor but besides that its fully functional.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
My sgh-i777 obviously came with it but turned off from carrier att. But I've been using nfc since gingerbread a dev entropy got it working back on 2.3.4 release from att. However the problem we do have is the lack of secure element which is why we can't use Google wallet for instance. Theirs been alot of debate over the secure element factor but besides that its fully functional.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

There's no debate; it needs to be there or Wallet won't work. End of discussion. Any other NFC stuff should work.

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
The i777 is really an i9100P (European I9100 with NFC). So yes it should fully work on a ROM that supports it.

Great info.

My brother just got the Nexus 7 and I was able to Beam a site I was browsing on chrome to him (I'm running AOKP btw). So it does work :D

But he tried to beam me a picture and it said the other device doesn't support receiving large files via beam ?

So now I know that my nfc works, what cool things can I do?

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Great info.

My brother just got the Nexus 7 and I was able to Beam a site I was browsing on chrome to him (I'm running AOKP btw). So it does work :D

But he tried to beam me a picture and it said the other device doesn't support receiving large files via beam ?

So now I know that my nfc works, what cool things can I do?

Pretty much anything else that newer NFC phones can do, except Google Wallet because that requires a separate chip called a Secure Element. NFC itself is a very slow, weak protocol. You can beam text easily, which is probably what happens when you beam something like a URL. But beaming a picture would take a looooot of time and power. So I think what happens is the NFC chip initiates a Wifi-Direct (Wifi-to-Wifi) or Bluetooth transfer.

Try buying Samsung Tectiles and using the app to trigger actions with NFC.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i9100 = NO

D710 (Sprint GS2) = NO
    afaik, european S II GT-I9100P comes with NFC ... so if you want a european NFC version, you could try to find a GT-I9100P (e.g orange in France and TIM in Italy ).

...not sure which roms will work ....perhaps the same as on the GT-I9100T ...

I have the 1900p and I'm running CM10 with NFC working perfectly. You just need to flash NFCJB Enabler-jthatch12v3 via CWM

here the link to the thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1822447

I have to reflash the zip after every nightly and then wipe dalvlik cache again.