[Q] AOKP Screen Brightness

Search This thread
The lowest brightness setting is not dim enough for me in low light conditions so I've been looking to alter it.

After reading around the capabilities of some apps it seems that they only add an overlay which reduces contrast. I would much prefer to do it natively.

I then realised that the AOKP ROM has this functionality!

However, I can't seem to get it to work.

Settings>Display>Custom backlight settings

Changing the screen dim level doesn't seem to change anything for me.

Can anyone offer some tips or advice?

Thanks

CMNein

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary
Did you change the corresponding value in "Edit Other Levels" as well (if you're on auto brightness)? Not on AOKP, but mine is fully functional both on manual, and auto.

Their implementation is the same as CM9 (which is nearly identical, if not the same as the CM7 implementation).

Edit: just a thought, not sure if the AOKP status bar brightness slider is hardcoded to a certain minimum level? Are the results the same if you adjust your brightness via the Settings>Display>Brightness slider?

Last edited:

Jubakuba

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 22, 2010
Pueblo, Colorado
Settings>Rom Control>Performance>color multipliers.
Drag the three bars all the way down.

As far as your problem...
Are you on auto brightness?
And have you adjusted the "Dim Level" prior to adjusting the screen levels?
(Dim Level is the level your screen dims to after not touching it for 15 seconds or whatever).

CMNein

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary
And have you adjusted the "Dim Level" prior to adjusting the screen levels?
(Dim Level is the level your screen dims to after not touching it for 15 seconds or whatever).

Screen dim level is the minimum brightness value attainable (I lower mine to 12 so I can enter a screen value of 12 in my custom levels), but also does correspond to what you mentioned.

OpusX11

Jan 26, 2011
Another AOKP user expressed similar concerns but found an app called Root Dim or something that solved his problem.

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
Does your display dim more when you select a lower than default value or did you have to change something else?

I select a lower than normal default brightness, and it appears to just work. The auto brightness decreases, which is what i was looking for at night, and also the overall min brightness decreases. The max brightness seems unaffected...

Jubakuba

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 22, 2010
Pueblo, Colorado
That's an especially annoying mis-step after entering 23 custom levels.

Lol.
And no offense taken at all, man.

And me personally, I just use 5 levels.
One that goes all the way to 600[whateverambientlightismeasuredby] and a screen level of 5.
This keeps my phone from dicking about with it's brightness when I'm indoors...and I have no problem reading it. I don't mind a super-dim screen in general.

The remaining levels I ramp up fairly aggressively for two "by a window" scenarios...
And outside.
And OMGSUNNY outside.

CMNein

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary
Lol.

One that goes all the way to 600[whateverambientlightismeasuredby] and a screen level of 5.
This keeps my phone from dicking about with it's brightness when I'm indoors...and I have no problem reading it. I don't mind a super-dim screen in general.

The remaining levels I ramp up fairly aggressively for two "by a window" scenarios...
And outside.
And OMGSUNNY outside.

I add 2 levels for the high end, and reduce the other brightness levels considerably. Ultimately I usually end up with the perfect'ish level for most scenarios. I hate having to adjust brightness the old fashioned way :eek:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Screen dim level is the minimum brightness value attainable (I lower mine to 12 so I can enter a screen value of 12 in my custom levels), but also does correspond to what you mentioned.

Which values do you change in the custom levels?

Another AOKP user expressed similar concerns but found an app called Root Dim or something that solved his problem.

Yeah, I know an app could potentially solve the problem but I don't like using 3rd party apps when the solution can be more elegantly achieved using native tweaks.

Lol.

And outside.
And OMGSUNNY outside.

Could you send me a screenshot of your custom levels, that sounds like the exact thing I'm after - a dimmer screen in general, and having a lower min brightness.

So am I correct in thinking that you need to lower the dim value in order to set lower values in the custom levels?

Last edited: