[Q] A Cautious and Hopeful Noob

Search This thread

Rumblur

Jan 28, 2013
South Cackalacky
Hello and thanks for reading yet another "noobaholic anonymous" post. I spent most of last night searching, and could not find what I was looking for... and the things that seemed relevant, were 2 years old. That's a century in this hobby. Sooooo....

Here's my dilemma. A year and several months ago, I rooted and ROM'd my Droid X with CM7. It was a cakewalk! But, I REALLY lusted for a HTC Inc2. So I switched to the Inc2 a year ago. Like you, I've been waiting for the ICS update, which isnt coming. So I've decided to go ahead and hot rod this sucker. I am on Page Plus, so warranty means nothing to me.

I've seen plenty of posts to downgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.3.3, I can handle that I think. And from what I've read of the various ROM's, it looks like Skyraider Zeus is the one for me. I want to keep the Sense stuff (clock, weather, calendar, notifications, phone launcher etc) but everything else is fair game.

So once I do the 2.3.3 thing and root my Inc2, where do I get the latest ROM and how do I get it on my phone? Also, I would like to try the GingerBangSense ROM and maybe CM7.2 as they get good reviews - is there some way to switch between them? Or do I have to go all the way to root and start over from scratch?

Forgive my asking the "same old stupid questions", I realize they've been asked before a million times. But as I said, the Inc2 is getting quite long in the tooth and there are a ZILLION threads on it. What scared me enough to stick my neck out and ask all these questions in this thread - is I cant find a concise thread in the latter part of 2012 or 2013. I didnt want to screw something up or miss out on something that's happened since early 2011 or whenever the majority of the threads were birthed.

So thank you again, for taking time to help someone trying to regain his sanity.

thenaut

Oct 6, 2010
Hello and thanks for reading yet another "noobaholic anonymous" post. I spent most of last night searching, and could not find what I was looking for... and the things that seemed relevant, were 2 years old. That's a century in this hobby. Sooooo....

Here's my dilemma. A year and several months ago, I rooted and ROM'd my Droid X with CM7. It was a cakewalk! But, I REALLY lusted for a HTC Inc2. So I switched to the Inc2 a year ago. Like you, I've been waiting for the ICS update, which isnt coming. So I've decided to go ahead and hot rod this sucker. I am on Page Plus, so warranty means nothing to me.

I've seen plenty of posts to downgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.3.3, I can handle that I think. And from what I've read of the various ROM's, it looks like Skyraider Zeus is the one for me. I want to keep the Sense stuff (clock, weather, calendar, notifications, phone launcher etc) but everything else is fair game.

So once I do the 2.3.3 thing and root my Inc2, where do I get the latest ROM and how do I get it on my phone? Also, I would like to try the GingerBangSense ROM and maybe CM7.2 as they get good reviews - is there some way to switch between them? Or do I have to go all the way to root and start over from scratch?

Forgive my asking the "same old stupid questions", I realize they've been asked before a million times. But as I said, the Inc2 is getting quite long in the tooth and there are a ZILLION threads on it. What scared me enough to stick my neck out and ask all these questions in this thread - is I cant find a concise thread in the latter part of 2012 or 2013. I didnt want to screw something up or miss out on something that's happened since early 2011 or whenever the majority of the threads were birthed.

So thank you again, for taking time to help someone trying to regain his sanity.

Once you downgrade to 2.3.3, and obtain clockwork, you can flash as much as you want. Skyraider can be found on the bamf forum.

Sent from my ADR6350 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Rumblur

Addiso

Jul 3, 2012
San Bernardino
Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 Series

Take notes noobs, this is how you do it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

thenaut

Oct 6, 2010
Thanks for the replies. ANY help is greatly appreciated.

I found this thread and am planning on using it to do the S-OFF/clockwork stuff http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1219246

But there's nothing about flashing a ROM. Would you recommend a thread for that? I assume Clockwork is what I'll be using to install the ROM's?

I feel like a the new kid in 3rd grade!

Download the ROM you want to flash and place it on your SD card

Wipe data/cache/dalvic. I haven't used clockwork in a while so I don't remember what its called. 4ext let's you wipe everything but the SD card.

After the wipe, install ROM VIA CLOCKWORK. Then reboot.

Most ROM threads include instructions on flashing said ROMS.

Good luck.

Edit: dumb

sent from my highly profitable Super-PAC

brymaster5000

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2012
New Hampshire
Here is a good thread for multiple ways on rooting. Because the Inc2 got software updates rooting became problematic for some for a while. Figure out what version you are first before rooting.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1751796

Once done, download a ROM onto your sd card, reboot into recovery and do the following:
- Make a Nandroid (backup)
- Wipe data
- Wipe dalvik/cache
(I format system next)
- install file from sd card
- reboot and profit!

Reactions: dental4usa

Rumblur

Jan 28, 2013
South Cackalacky
Thank you all, I am now the proud owner of a fully rooted and rom'd Dinc2. If I could, I would hand out candy or liquor, depending on your age :)

At the moment, I'm running Skyraider Zeus 1.3. Of course the ROM'ing bug has bitten, so IC Tazz is downloading at the moment and I'm thinking GingerBliss may be next. I'm torn though, I like the Sense GUI but would of course like the latest updated stuff... most of the ICS based or any of the CM stuff seems to have stripped out the Sense and it all looks like my old (and ugly..) Droid X. Any recommendations or are the 3 ROM's I've mentioned so far about it?

I have one more question for you elder statesmen - I have Clockwork Recovery on the phone right now. I see a couple others listed as TWRP or EXT4, are they any better or necessary for any other ROMs? Or will Clockwork do everything I need done and best to stick with it?

brymaster5000

Jan 9, 2012
New Hampshire
Thank you all, I am now the proud owner of a fully rooted and rom'd Dinc2. If I could, I would hand out candy or liquor, depending on your age :)

At the moment, I'm running Skyraider Zeus 1.3. Of course the ROM'ing bug has bitten, so IC Tazz is downloading at the moment and I'm thinking GingerBliss may be next. I'm torn though, I like the Sense GUI but would of course like the latest updated stuff... most of the ICS based or any of the CM stuff seems to have stripped out the Sense and it all looks like my old (and ugly..) Droid X. Any recommendations or are the 3 ROM's I've mentioned so far about it?

I have one more question for you elder statesmen - I have Clockwork Recovery on the phone right now. I see a couple others listed as TWRP or EXT4, are they any better or necessary for any other ROMs? Or will Clockwork do everything I need done and best to stick with it?

Viperinc is the sexiest ROM, but has lag issues. Pacman is pretty stable.

4ext is way better than cwm and you can get the recovery control app which makes managing backups, wipes a breeze.

Sent from my Nitsy CM7.

Rumblur

Jan 28, 2013
South Cackalacky
Viperinc is the sexiest ROM, but has lag issues. Pacman is pretty stable.

4ext is way better than cwm and you can get the recovery control app which makes managing backups, wipes a breeze.

Sent from my Nitsy CM7.

I tried SRZ, it wasn't bad but I wanted to try ICS, so I loaded IC Tazz. I like 90% of it but GEEZ is that Sense 4.0 clock terrible looking! I realize you can load Fancy Widgets and get the Sense 2.x clock / weather look, but it does not trigger the Sense weather like the HTC clock does. SOooooo..... if there is some way of getting my good ol' HTC clock/weather (2.x) in IC Tazz, I'd be happy.

Oh - the OTHER iritation - on the lock screen, the clock is such a terrible skinny font! I dont know about you guys, but I use my phone as a time piece all through the day. So I wil whip it out and glance at the clock. I'm getting older (too old..) and really miss the 2.x clock skin/font/etc.

Other than that, WOW, what a nice update.

Now about the 4ext vs CWM - I read as many posts as I felt were relevant, and TWRP sounded like the best choice. So I downloaded Goomanager from the Play store, and used it to install TWRP (according to the instructions on this page http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1943592 ) It did it's thing, but there's no icon for TWRP on the phone now. Part of the perk was this was touch driven and no more volume/power button launching... so now what? I'm downloading Viper right now, so I'd like to slap it on the Dinc2 and check it out before I make my final choice and reactivate this phone. (I've got it offline till I get it "right")

Last edited:

ThePhantom97

Aug 6, 2012
Robinson
Now about the 4ext vs CWM - I read as many posts as I felt were relevant, and TWRP sounded like the best choice. So I downloaded Goomanager from the Play store, and used it to install TWRP (according to the instructions on this page http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1943592 ) It did it's thing, but there's no icon for TWRP on the phone now. Part of the perk was this was touch driven and no more volume/power button launching... so now what? I'm downloading Viper right now, so I'd like to slap it on the Dinc2 and check it out before I make my final choice and reactivate this phone. (I've got it offline till I get it "right")

You will still have to get into TWRP with the power menu but once you are in there you can navigate without using the volume and power buttons to back up and install things.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Rumblur

Jan 28, 2013
South Cackalacky
In the last 24 hours I went from bonestock 2.3.4, to 2.3.3 to S-OFF to full root, to SRZ to IC Tazz, with CWM. Then TWRP went on and ViperINC went on... THEN I really lost my mind and put the 320 radio on it. Noob to Addict in 24 hours.

See what you guys created? You gotta be careful giving out all this information!

While I have your attention, and being I dont have enough posts to comment in the 'dev' area, if I should go back to SRZ or ICT, am I going to have to flash the radio? I looked ALL over and can not find a single working radio link. For what it's worth - I saw no gain from the 622 (GB) radio to the 320 (ICS) db wise.

gtdtm

May 23, 2012
In the last 24 hours I went from bonestock 2.3.4, to 2.3.3 to S-OFF to full root, to SRZ to IC Tazz, with CWM. Then TWRP went on and ViperINC went on... THEN I really lost my mind and put the 320 radio on it. Noob to Addict in 24 hours.

See what you guys created? You gotta be careful giving out all this information!

While I have your attention, and being I dont have enough posts to comment in the 'dev' area, if I should go back to SRZ or ICT, am I going to have to flash the radio? I looked ALL over and can not find a single working radio link. For what it's worth - I saw no gain from the 622 (GB) radio to the 320 (ICS) db wise.

You shouldn't need to change radios.

Rumblur

Jan 28, 2013
South Cackalacky
You shouldn't need to change radios.

On the ViperINC thread (the ROM), they had the radio listed right below it. Being the radio in my phone was several generations old (622) and my reception SUCKS, and (and and and..) I never flashed a radio before and I was feeling confident with my new found toys.... I went ahead and flashed it.

I reactivated the phone today, and can say the reception is not any better in the areas I usually use it. I guess it's just the flaw of the Dinc2.

gtdtm

May 23, 2012
On the ViperINC thread (the ROM), they had the radio listed right below it. Being the radio in my phone was several generations old (622) and my reception SUCKS, and (and and and..) I never flashed a radio before and I was feeling confident with my new found toys.... I went ahead and flashed it.

I reactivated the phone today, and can say the reception is not any better in the areas I usually use it. I guess it's just the flaw of the Dinc2.

I meant you shouldn't have to change it back. Sorry for the confusion.

Rumblur

Jan 28, 2013
South Cackalacky
Thanks for the clear up. What about the 320 radio being ICS based? SRZ is GB based, for example... last thing I want to do is brick my phone. Today I found a possible crippling flaw in the Venom ROM - the voice doesnt work on Google Maps. I use that app a lot, so I may have to revert to GB for now.

brymaster5000

Jan 9, 2012
New Hampshire
Thanks for the clear up. What about the 320 radio being ICS based? SRZ is GB based, for example... last thing I want to do is brick my phone. Today I found a possible crippling flaw in the Venom ROM - the voice doesnt work on Google Maps. I use that app a lot, so I may have to revert to GB for now.

The radio works fine on all versions of android.

Sent from my Nitsy CM7.

jeremytn86

Jul 10, 2011
copperhill
Moto G Power
Is the "radio" only for the phone (calls) or does it also do the GPS? Since I loaded ViperINC, my GPS does not work.

try the patch, the thread for it is in the dev section, fishing the radio should not have affected it, and radios have nothing to do with the version of android, its seperate, a firmware...

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Take notes noobs, this is how you do it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Once you downgrade to 2.3.3, and obtain clockwork, you can flash as much as you want. Skyraider can be found on the bamf forum.

Sent from my ADR6350 using xda app-developers app

I found this thread and am planning on using it to do the S-OFF/clockwork stuff http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1219246

But there's nothing about flashing a ROM. Would you recommend a thread for that? I assume Clockwork is what I'll be using to install the ROM's?

Download the ROM you want to flash and place it on your SD card

Wipe data/cache/dalvic. I haven't used clockwork in a while so I don't remember what its called. 4ext let's you wipe everything but the SD card.

After the wipe, install ROM VIA CLOCKWORK. Then reboot.

Most ROM threads include instructions on flashing said ROMS.

Good luck.

Edit: dumb

sent from my highly profitable Super-PAC
    Here is a good thread for multiple ways on rooting. Because the Inc2 got software updates rooting became problematic for some for a while. Figure out what version you are first before rooting.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1751796

Once done, download a ROM onto your sd card, reboot into recovery and do the following:
    - Make a Nandroid (backup)
    - Wipe data
    - Wipe dalvik/cache
    (I format system next)
    - install file from sd card
    - reboot and profit!