Sprint Spark on your S5 - ALL SPARK discussions here only

What kinda data do you have where you live/work?

• Always roaming... F Sprint

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • "Ehh" 3G Speeds

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Decent 3G Speeds

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • LTE

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Spark

Votes: 27 32.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
Whose got it and how fast is it?? Also does anyone know where I can find a coverage map for it??

Last edited by a moderator:

soufdallas

Aug 4, 2012
My stuff slow.....whats funny is they allegedly always workin on the towers or fixing something and always got the fukin nerve to be coming out with some allegedly newer or better/faster but never seems to fix what they already got running..... I swear if it wasn't for this employee discount that I receive which pretty much take $20 off my bill I would be so done with Sprint for this average service I get

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda app-developers app

Reactions: punwik

jhuff83

Jun 15, 2010
2014-04-13.jpg

Right outside of Houston

Reactions: Androidaholic

yellowman82

Jun 12, 2011
Whose got it and how fast is it?? Also does anyone know where I can find a coverage map for it??

I dont go by sprint maps on their site. Go to s4gru.com become a member and donate about $10~$20 bucks to become a sponsor member which will let you see map coverage and every sprint tower in this country, can see which one is active with 3g only or 4g only or a towers with both 3g/4g active that site has alot of great info about sprints coverage and more.

Im in miami where band 41 in most tower is active but i cant recall if miami was already launched with spark but here's some tests.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

yellowman82

Jun 12, 2011
I dont go by sprint maps on their site. Go to s4gru.com become a member and donate about $10~$20 bucks to become a sponsor member which will let you see map coverage and every sprint tower in this country, can see which one is active with 3g only or 4g only or a towers with both 3g/4g active that site has alot of great info about sprints coverage and more.

Im in miami where band 41 in most tower is active but i cant recall if miami was already launched with spark but here's some tests.

uploadfromtaptalk1397687029235.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397687039843.jpg

mscott

Jan 18, 2008
This morning in Austin, TX. Couldnt get LTE yesterday to save my life, they must be fixing things here.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1397690721786.jpg
    1397690721786.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,479

shawngormley

Aug 7, 2010
Grapevine
Ya I'm in the DFW area and I am getting 3g. No LTE. Very disappointed choosing sprint. Can not use the s5 to its potential!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397696165825.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397696165825.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,359

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
I enabled the 3 band, what is it though exactly lol?

According to Sprint....

"These tri-band devices support active hand-off mode between 800MHz, 1.9GHz and 2.5GHz providing data session continuity as the devices move between spectrum bands."

"these devices are expected to give users the best experience by shifting from one band to another, depending on what speed is needed for the application in use at a given moment."

shawngormley

Aug 7, 2010
Grapevine
I disabled band 3 and the other 3 options enabled. It doesnt let me choose the order. Looking at the sprint map it shows spark in dfw.

edufur

Sep 27, 2007
Hillsboro
Moto X4
Google Pixel 6a
I live in the Portland Oregon metro area and on 2 occasions when my GF has called me (from her S4 to my S5), the call was in HD voice. From what I understand, this can only happen in a spark situation. So I am betting they are getting ready to fire up the towers here in PDX ahead of schedule.

Speeds

Here is my highest one so far on sprint LTE(not spark band 3 2500Mhz). My spark is disabled so I'm sure this is not spark speed. I'm in Kansas City HQ for sprint...what a joke!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-17-18-37-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-17-18-37-05.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Screenshot_2014-04-17-21-22-44.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-17-21-22-44.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 900

Androidaholic

Oct 16, 2010
Houston,Tx.
Ya I'm in the DFW area and I am getting 3g. No LTE. Very disappointed choosing sprint. Can not use the s5 to its potential!

Hey they're I would call Sprint and make them reprovision your phone. A lot of peoples with S5's and even HTC m8's phones are not properly provisioned and they do not connect to LTE.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: AcE2DuCe
Sprint dropped the ball on TRI-Band.....

Tri-band phones can only connect to LTE or CMDA(3G/1x) one at a time. To off set this towers and now being equipped Circuit Switched Fallback or Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback. You are probably in an are where the Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) and Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback (eCSFB) are not equipped on the towers. Sprint hasn't deployed this to most of its network yet. Areas that don’t have it already have no expected time frame for the roll out of this network technology, and since your smartphone is designed to prefer the ability to make and receive phone calls at all costs, it is programmed to stay on CDMA.

Last edited:

pastert33

Oct 17, 2007
Tri-band phones can only connect to LTE or CMDA(3G/1x) one at a time. To off set this towers and now being equipped Circuit Switched Fallback or Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback. You are probably in an are where the Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) and Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback (eCSFB) are not equipped on the towers. Sprint hasn't deployed this to most of its network yet. Areas that don’t have it already have no expected time frame for the roll out of this network technology, and since your smartphone is designed to prefer the ability to make and receive phone calls at all costs, it is programmed to stay on CDMA.

This is the best info that I've seen anout this situation. I can get LTE if I update PRL or toggle airplane mode. Calling Sprint does nothing BC most have no clue what this is and everything they see is working as should. Very very frustrating to hear "oh your device is the issue, go return it for a new one". I can also go into LTE only mode and it stay connected until I change it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Took some more pictures of the top side of things. Showing the radio, antenna, fiber, and power. The setup is 1 per sector, so a total of 3.
    1401977520119.jpg
    1401977537976.jpg
    1401977551735.jpg
    1401977567729.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
    I work for a tower company in Minnesota, and my crew is doing some of the spark (2.5) upgrades. Just thought I'd share a little of what goes into a site. I'll probably post some other pics down the road.

1401913937709.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
    How do u check to see what band you're on?

On your dialer pad hit ##debug# it will take you to a secret menu there once there you will see LTE Engineering go in there then you will see a bunch of info about your network and network signal and such including the lte band which will say 25,26 or 41 next to band

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

How do u check to see what band you're on?

Also if it's your first time going in that menu and if it ask you for a code put 777468(sprint)

So you guys don't care about the loss of 4G in non-Spark areas, and the overall loss of simultaneous voice and data? All of that was a deal-breaker, (no LTE anywhere? hell no) so I returned my S5.

Sprint "Spark" just means 3 bands of LTE are supported, with the phone switching to the least congested band. It is not a different type of LTE, you will still get full LTE in any non-Spark enabled area, just on the most congested band. The phone does fall back to 3G when on a call, but 3G is not needed to be notified of a call by the network, so your statement about not having other LTE is false. As to the simultaneous voice and data, you are correct. However, once Sprint rolls out voice-over-LTE with HD Voice, that won't be a problem anymore because everything will be done over LTE so data and voice will work simultaneously again.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Spark is a joke in Austin. No better than standard LTE previously was, but we lost simultaneous voice and data. Sweet!