[MOD]Key layout for people who installed Gingerbread on SGH-T959D ( Telus Fascinate )

Search This thread

chadouming

Aug 27, 2009
On the interwebz
LEAKED GINGERBREAD FOR I9000 WILL KILL VERIZON PHONE'S RADIO.

IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, YOU WILL MOSTLY BRICK YOUR PHONE. This is only for Telus Fascinate SGH-T959D.

Since the developement of Gingerbread on I9000 is going really well, i decided to upgrade the script for CWM 3.0. I am using GB rom on my phone since the day it was out and it's pretty awesome. But I still warn people who might want to do it, that if you dont know how to do it, you will probably kill your phone.I also attached reboot to recovery and download script for people with rom who doesn't allow that.

If you dont want introduction, skip to blue line

Ever wanted to have Gingerbread on your fascinate? Tried it but missing the home and search key was too inconvenient ? If you answered yes to one of those question, you are like me :D. I tried many GT I9000 ( Internationnal (European) Galaxy S) Rom, with 2.2.1 i was missing the home button. With 2.3.2 beta leaked, i was missing home AND search which i tought was too much. I tried back 2.3.2 with Supercurio Voodoo lagfix injected stock kernel and found that it was running amazing but that i was still missing my home and search key. Quickly, i have done a key test under clockworkmod recovery (Also in Supercurio kernel ) and to my surprise, home key id was 105, search key id was 106 and back key was 158. 158 was the back key in froyo and home key id was also 158. So now theorically, i was able to do something ^^. That's what i did and a few minute later i had a fully fonctionnal gingerbread rom on my fascinate.
The point was to edit /system/usr/keylayout/"Melfas_touchkey.kl"&"qwerty.kl" key template to get them working. I changed the RIGHTDPAD and LEFTDPAD to HOME and SEARCH, changing WAKE_DROPPED state for HOME to WAKE and voila.

__________________DISCLAIMER_________________

1 a) If you dont know how to use odin, you should not attempt to flash any new firmware to you phone.
b) Please take note that boot in recovery with the key wont be possible anymore after flashing XWJVH. Download mode WONT be accessible too, as the XWJVH rom update the secondary boot loader, which is not compatible with our key. There is a way to install these rom without having access to reboot in recovery and download mode by pressing key at boot. Custom home made jig is the best in the case you would softbreak your phone. So i would tell you to not do this unless you have a homemade jig.

/*
Again, I will make a tutorial for people who dont know how to flash custom rom or gingerbread rom, so if you are not ready to risk a brick then dont try this.
*/-- THIS WON'T BE MADE FOR NOW.

The author or anyone who refer to this thread cant be held responsible for any damage done to your phone, repair price, if your house start burning, if the star start falling, or if anything else go wrong. You know what you are doing and by doing the things explained in this thread on 1st, 2nd and 3rd post, you confirm that you hereby accept the consequence of such act.

This said, I wont try to harm yor phone but it's still good to remember to people that flashing rom is risky and might be harmful.

I use GT I9000 rom on my phone for about 4 month now and it didnt hurt it, this is the rason why i share trick and instruction on how to install them on other phone but this doesnt protect your phone.

I know i have a lot of disclaimer and i might be repeating myself but i dont want to have problem and make people thing two time before starting

Time to help you now.

__________________DISCLAiMER END_____________________
(If you are colorblind and skipped to this line where it was said to skip to blue, this line is orange line. Blue line is two line higher(Not counting the orange one you just skipped to) just higher of the disclaimer line. Start reading from this line(blue one) please.)

THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH FROYO

For people who want to know what is a homemade jig that i'm speaking often, here is the thread you must see

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=819551

This is the most useful tester tool.

Last edited:

chadouming

Aug 27, 2009
On the interwebz
Same..

are you saying you have a fully functional gingerbread rom that works -- without issue -- on the fascinate?

Killer news if this is working/true

I got it working for over a week now, only one kernel panic. Which would probably had happen on I9000 since it's at beta stage.

You can also flash your favorite froyo modem ( not eclair one). Yes its perfectly working except no way to enter receovery and download by booting and holding key. In my case, i only lost download cause recovery was not working anyway.

CGriffiths86

Jun 18, 2010
I would like some more info as well. It just seems that if it was this easy to do it would have been done long ago. If it is working then of course I'm sure we would all love to know how to get it done and this could help our devs a lot too. Also, if you are not able to get into recovery by holding the keys can it still be accessed by Clockwork Manager or the "recovery"option in most roms?

chadouming

Aug 27, 2009
On the interwebz
I dont have a verizon phone to test rom with them, but hardware inside is the same than telus fascinate. I got it working in fact by accident, first rom i flashed was an I9000 rom, then i followed there rom since there's a lot more evolution on their forum than on our. I flashed GB as well and i bricked my phone first time ( Tried to flash an eclair modem, stupid thing ). With a home made jig i know have (I will always keep it :D ), i got it back into download mode, and installed GB easy with odin. Followed the instruction to install stock XWJV1 from
I9000 forum. From that rom, i activated the debug mode (Setting - application- debug mode), made a little script (adb reboot download), got back into download and install supercurio voodoo injected kernel. Finally, i installed most of the custom rom out there. Every single rom was working. But i'm still unable to install CM7. So the answer is yes, with this rom i have a perfectly working gingerbread rom.

edit : Forgot to answer other question. Most of the custom rom for I9000 got extend shutdown menu with reboot to recovery/download option

Last edited:

CGriffiths86

Jun 18, 2010
I am a noob as far as most of the dev side of things goes, but what is this "homemade jig" you are referencing?

Update: Nevermind..just googled it. Is there no way to do this without a jig?

Last edited:

kennydied23

Oct 6, 2009
For a minute it sounded like you had a gingerbread rom working for the Verizon fascinate. Too bad it wouldn't work...:(

BlackHoleSlam

Nov 25, 2010
Houston
kenny how do u know it won't work have u tested if i was good at soddering i would attempt to make the jig and attempt this but just am not not that good

thefunkbot

Oct 9, 2010
Birmingham
GINGERBREAD WORKING ON FASCINATE!
(cwm and download mode dont work)

Thanks bro. I can flash gingerbread and HAVE NO WAY TO GO BACK OR FIX THE PHONE IF IT BUGS. Seriously a mod needs to delete this thread before people really screw up their phone.

bobloblaw1

May 25, 2010
Errrr....

Isn't the Telus Fascinate HSPA while the Verizon version is CDMA? And while they share a name, the model number for the Telus Fascinate is T959D, making it a t-Mobile Vibrant variant....

Reactions: chadouming

thefunkbot

Oct 9, 2010
Birmingham
Think i repeated enough to say it was risky.

yea but your thread has an attractive title and a lot of text that a lot of people wont read as thoroughly as they should, no matter how colorful you make it.

My phone is acting exactly like the i9000. I didnt knew that verizon was CDMA, but flashing a verizon modem would'nt work ?
And yes, verizon is CDMA. Flashing this rom on a verizon fascinate is a brick. No ifs ands or buts.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LEAKED GINGERBREAD FOR I9000 WILL KILL VERIZON PHONE'S RADIO.

IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, YOU WILL MOSTLY BRICK YOUR PHONE. This is only for Telus Fascinate SGH-T959D.

Since the developement of Gingerbread on I9000 is going really well, i decided to upgrade the script for CWM 3.0. I am using GB rom on my phone since the day it was out and it's pretty awesome. But I still warn people who might want to do it, that if you dont know how to do it, you will probably kill your phone.I also attached reboot to recovery and download script for people with rom who doesn't allow that.

If you dont want introduction, skip to blue line

Ever wanted to have Gingerbread on your fascinate? Tried it but missing the home and search key was too inconvenient ? If you answered yes to one of those question, you are like me :D. I tried many GT I9000 ( Internationnal (European) Galaxy S) Rom, with 2.2.1 i was missing the home button. With 2.3.2 beta leaked, i was missing home AND search which i tought was too much. I tried back 2.3.2 with Supercurio Voodoo lagfix injected stock kernel and found that it was running amazing but that i was still missing my home and search key. Quickly, i have done a key test under clockworkmod recovery (Also in Supercurio kernel ) and to my surprise, home key id was 105, search key id was 106 and back key was 158. 158 was the back key in froyo and home key id was also 158. So now theorically, i was able to do something ^^. That's what i did and a few minute later i had a fully fonctionnal gingerbread rom on my fascinate.
    The point was to edit /system/usr/keylayout/"Melfas_touchkey.kl"&"qwerty.kl" key template to get them working. I changed the RIGHTDPAD and LEFTDPAD to HOME and SEARCH, changing WAKE_DROPPED state for HOME to WAKE and voila.

__________________DISCLAIMER_________________

1 a) If you dont know how to use odin, you should not attempt to flash any new firmware to you phone.
    b) Please take note that boot in recovery with the key wont be possible anymore after flashing XWJVH. Download mode WONT be accessible too, as the XWJVH rom update the secondary boot loader, which is not compatible with our key. There is a way to install these rom without having access to reboot in recovery and download mode by pressing key at boot. Custom home made jig is the best in the case you would softbreak your phone. So i would tell you to not do this unless you have a homemade jig.

/*
    Again, I will make a tutorial for people who dont know how to flash custom rom or gingerbread rom, so if you are not ready to risk a brick then dont try this.
    */-- THIS WON'T BE MADE FOR NOW.

The author or anyone who refer to this thread cant be held responsible for any damage done to your phone, repair price, if your house start burning, if the star start falling, or if anything else go wrong. You know what you are doing and by doing the things explained in this thread on 1st, 2nd and 3rd post, you confirm that you hereby accept the consequence of such act.

This said, I wont try to harm yor phone but it's still good to remember to people that flashing rom is risky and might be harmful.

I use GT I9000 rom on my phone for about 4 month now and it didnt hurt it, this is the rason why i share trick and instruction on how to install them on other phone but this doesnt protect your phone.

I know i have a lot of disclaimer and i might be repeating myself but i dont want to have problem and make people thing two time before starting

Time to help you now.

__________________DISCLAiMER END_____________________
    (If you are colorblind and skipped to this line where it was said to skip to blue, this line is orange line. Blue line is two line higher(Not counting the orange one you just skipped to) just higher of the disclaimer line. Start reading from this line(blue one) please.)

THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH FROYO

For people who want to know what is a homemade jig that i'm speaking often, here is the thread you must see

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=819551

This is the most useful tester tool.
    Reserved 2nd post for Tutorial
    Errrr....

Isn't the Telus Fascinate HSPA while the Verizon version is CDMA? And while they share a name, the model number for the Telus Fascinate is T959D, making it a t-Mobile Vibrant variant....
    yea but your thread has an attractive title and a lot of text that a lot of people wont read as thoroughly as they should, no matter how colorful you make it.

And yes, verizon is CDMA. Flashing this rom on a verizon fascinate is a brick. No ifs ands or buts.

Changed it to let people know it won't be working on verizon, sry all.