[Q] Rooting/Unlocking Verizon HTC One on Kitkat

Search This thread

alexcushing

Feb 9, 2014
I have a Verizon HTC ONE with android version 4.4.2 KitKat that is not rooted or unlocked. I know that Verizon blocks the regular form of unlocking it through the htcdev site so I wanted to know if there was an alternative way?
Can I install Android JellyBean instead of KitKat and use RumRunner?
Is this not possible unless the phone is unlocked and rooted?

Thanks!

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
I'm not sure you can use that if you are locked and complete stock. Google how to set up adb for your os. Or search some threads in the main sections. There are lots of guides.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

alexcushing

Feb 9, 2014
I'm not sure you can use that if you are locked and complete stock. Google how to set up adb for your os. Or search some threads in the main sections. There are lots of guides.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

You're right it won't work. I guess I will wait for someone to exploit kit Kat for verozon

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using xda app-developers app

nikalsaki

Feb 19, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Thanks! I'm new to this so I have a question about that.
It says make sure you have a working adb and use it. Is this a form of terminal on my pc or something and where could I download this? Thanks

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using xda app-developers app

As I am a relatively new user to XDA (I'm not new, just new to posting) and it won't let me post links until after like 10 links or so, all slashes / will be replaced with asterisks * to make the forums think I'm not posting a link.

The ADB is the Android Debug Bridge. It comes built in to the Android SDK (Software Developer Kit). I'm not sure if it works standalone.

Anyway, this is what you do:

1. Download the SDK from here: http:**developer.android.com*sdk*index.html. It's 480 mb. By my home's Internet speed, that is a ginormous file. So if your Internet speed is anything like mine, allow about 30 minutes for download. And make sure your computer has the power to unzip a 480 mb ZIP file. This also installs Eclipse, which is basically a program you use to write Android apps. (If you think you may develop apps but you want an alternative to Eclipse, try the Android Developer Studio here: http:**developer.android.com*sdk*installing*studio.html)
2. Once it's installed and everything, navigate to: <sdk install directory>\sdk\platform-tools. Go to the address bar. Click in it, hit Ctrl+A to select all, Ctrl+C to copy, and Ctrl+V to paste it somewhere. I recommend a Notepad document or something. Then navigate to Computer. Click on System Properties and then Advanced system settings. At the bottom of the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables... Find the "path" variable. Paste the sdk\platform-tools link AT THE END OF THE VARIABLE. Make sure that you put a semicolon at the end of it. Click Okay and whatnot.
3. Open command prompt.
4. Type "cd <sdk install directory>\sdk\platform-tools"
5. The ADB should now work. Type "adb" before running any commands. List: http:**developer.android.com*tools*help*adb.html

Sorry if someone already said something about this. I started typing it before I went to lunch and I am finishing and posting this coming back from lunch.