(RETIRED THREAD) VEGAn-Tab Build, based off Advent Vega firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

trance_addict

Jun 2, 2009
Audio Issues-bug?

Any body else notice an issue with Headphone audio being mono only... I have stereo output from speakers but headset audio is mono...This was the case both in Youtube app and Pandora. I did check the headphones on another device to make sure the headphones are good... Interestingly enough when you move the jack around, the application gets paused as if the jack was pulled out...

This did not exist with TNT lite...only happening since Vegan Update...
Otherwise, this device is now on par with IPAD as far as UI experience goes.. SNAPPY!

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
Any body else notice an issue with Headphone audio being mono only... I have stereo output from speakers but headset audio is mono...This was the case both in Youtube app and Pandora. I did check the headphones on another device to make sure the headphones are good... Interestingly enough when you move the jack around, the application gets paused as if the jack was pulled out...

This did not exist with TNT lite...only happening since Vegan Update...
Otherwise, this device is now on par with IPAD as far as UI experience goes.. SNAPPY!

No issues, here. I'm not the best tester as I'm on beta 3 (prototype) and audio was altered a bit. I only tested on music apps like Andless and Rockbox.

craigwillie

Jan 29, 2008
Best ROM yet!

Issues...

1. Wifi based location not working in maps or other apps, like weather and news app.
2. GPS option missing from settings for those that link a Bluetooth GPS.
3. Settings gives error when tying to configure the camera. However apps that use the camera work fine.

no GPS capability is a dealbreaker for me. Anyone know why it isn't there and if it can be fixed?

mrackley

Nov 24, 2010
Harrison
Installed VEGAn

I installed the VEGAn beta last night and all I can say is WOW.. what a difference from TnT lite... screen transitions much snappier... Flash MUCH more stable... no FC's to speak of...

Even though Quadrant score was a little lower than TnT 2.2, the performance upgrade in VEGAn is astounding..

Awesome work guys...

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
Beta 3 is being packaged today

The prototype was working, but there are additional changes going in so I need to re-test the stuff that rothnic and gojimi have done.

Quick changelog:

- Rothnic's updated theme that he posted over the weekend.
- new Market
- newer Maps? (says 4.7.0)
- Audio should be fully fixed (no more hacks)
- SDCARD2 should be fully fixed (again, no hacks)
- Settings apk altered to better reflect our device. And WiFi advanced is back, with a sleep policy that should work.

Thanks guys! Awesome job, as usual!

Last edited:

cjbailey75

Nov 25, 2010
newport news
wish list.

No issues, here. I'm not the best tester as I'm on beta 3 (prototype) and audio was altered a bit. I only tested on music apps like Andless and Rockbox.

I was using audio manger, rock player, and poweramp and all of a sudden i was pulled the headset out on accident and poweramp muted when i plugged it back in it was still muted. I tried eveything to unmute but the volume would not change. I uninstalled poweramp and all media players and rebooted like 10 times and finally got the volume back.

I still cant connect to my home router all i do is tether

My home wifi has wpa so i can add the password but not the security key. Would love some help on that issue.

I would lke to see my usb storage fat 32 IDK i have all my movies and music on my portable dirve.

Cant think of anything else id like to do with my tablet.

Thanks RoeBee and everyone else.

undyingsum

Sep 3, 2010
Boulder, CO
stuck on touch android

Has anyone had problems with setting up your account after flashing the rom? Coming from tnt lite 2.2.1 I flashed his after wiping and after it starts up the first time. Can't get past the touch android to begin. I can press change language etc but can't get past the android. So now I'm back on tnt. Can anyone help?

cjbailey75

Nov 25, 2010
newport news
Has anyone had problems with setting up your account after flashing the rom? Coming from tnt lite 2.2.1 I flashed his after wiping and after it starts up the first time. Can't get past the touch android to begin. I can press change language etc but can't get past the android. So now I'm back on tnt. Can anyone help?

touch four corners of the screen in the black clockwise.

Acturbo

Nov 27, 2010
Wilmington, DE

Did you try the four corners trick, seems to be working for most with this problem. When you get to the Android guy, touch all four corners of the screen starting from top left going clockwise, see if that works for you.

Falco01

Sep 3, 2010
Ohio

Also, remember the "4 corners" trick may not work the first try. I had to do it 4-6 times before it took, but it does work.

kardiman

Dec 2, 2010
San Francisco
Someone else posted this solution back around page 45...

1. Copy the Beta1 and Beta3 zips to your GTab.
2. Wipe your tab
3. Flash Beta1
4. Go through android tap, but skip the account/inital setup.
5. Don't do another wipe, but flash Beta3.
6. Now it should reboot past the android tap, and allow you to start your initial setup.

Hope that helps!

Falco01

Sep 3, 2010
Ohio
If this is a dumb question, I apologize. I searched around and cannot really find a straight forward answer. I am running the current Vegan build. I flashed it over the stock TnT (just got this thing Saturday). I followed the directions in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=865245 just using vegan instead.

When I flash to the new Vegan beta when it is released, do I just go straight into ClockworkMod and flash the beta over top of what I have? Do I go through the mount system and storage and such or do I just load the ROM and pretty much off and running?

I know I will have to reload apps either via the market or Titanium if I have them backed up.

Thank You...

WhiskeyJac

Nov 11, 2010
Business Opportunity???

Robeet you ever think about importing units fixing them and then selling units on Ebay. It would take some seed money but getting units from China and then installing a clean user interface could make the first sucessful Android in the US.

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
Robeet you ever think about importing units fixing them and then selling units on Ebay. It would take some seed money but getting units from China and then installing a clean user interface could make the first sucessful Android in the US.

That thought has actually crossed my mind. Not so much for this tablet, but I used to fix broken iPods and bring them back to life. Again, I'm a nuts-and-bolts guy.

Too much time and capital investment, though. Maybe if I lost my job it's something I would do. :)

Last edited:

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
I'm pulling the new Market from Beta 3

I know gojimi had some issues, and I cannot get it to consistently work. Maybe someone has a fix for beta 4, so asking the users, here.

Three flash attempts.....

The first time it was FC's galore, on the market app (I didn't wipe my data, then tried wiping data and still the same problems). The second time it worked like a charm, no issues at all. This last time was another data wipe + flash attempt, and again FC's all over the place. Tried deleting cache, re-doing the fix etc and nothing is working. And nothing in logcat to pin this down.

So, it's getting pulled for now. Sorry about that.

supernoman

Mar 31, 2008
Using beta2 right now and all seems well given the known issues. I tried to install some HD games. Totemo works but Let's Golf HD and HAWX just wouldn't launch. Is this a known issue? I didn't get a chance to try these on TnT lite before it went all FC on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FYI, this thread is being RETIRED - please use the new BETA4 post, started by Gojimi http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=884103

The usual USE AT YOUR OWN RISK disclaimer. I'd also highly recommend clockworkmod recovery .08 as a pre-req. We are only testing for cwm users.

I would also recommend a full data wipe between updates, at least for now.

Build URL: http://vegantab.gojimi.com/

1.0.0 Beta3 Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?tt3n3njojetnscx
    Alternate link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3KJ799TZ
    md5sum: fea915609ab56aa233fabcfff3bcc2a3
    This is an update.zip formatted file. You'd run this like you'd run any other update.zip file.
    -----------------------------------------------

This is going to be a collaborative effort between myself, Rothnic, Gojimi and whoever else wants to pitch in. A ROM based off the Advent Vega firmware.

Benefits to us

- Soft buttons, like TnT. But no TnT UI layer getting in our way. So, for example, keyboard replacements should work.
    - Just as fast as the new builds we have.
    - Vega build seems to have a bootup script where we can install user-based apks, after a data wipe. So, for example, Flash could be added to a build.
    - Vega firmware development is probably more active than the official TnT development, at least from the little I've seen so far.

Known issues

- sdcard2 will not remount if you eject and re-insert (should be fixed in beta 3).
    - The initial Google setup on a fresh install will not get past the first screen (I believe it's because the phone apks were removed). The fix for this is to use the "four corner fix", to bypass. See this video for details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5XjF6sPef4. This should be fixed in beta 3.
    - Weird orange bar is showing up in the stock Calendar app.
    - The newest Market apk seems to have issues with any device that's been re-partitioned outside of the default of 2048. The "fix" is to re-partition your SD back to the default of 2048, in clockworkmod. Thanks to proengin for informing me about this.

Changelog

- (a2) We are using alpha1 as our "base" image, and then a modular format on top of that. So, alpha2 is a full update.zip package.
    - (a2) VOLD should be fixed using a hack. 30 seconds after bootup, SDCARD2 should start working. Or, it may not work. It's an alpha. :)
    - (a2) Vega user apk script has been added, which is supposed to add Flash on a newly wiped system. But it's spotty at best.
    - (a2) Camera should be fixed.
    - (a2) We're deleting some of the unneeded system apps like Twitter, Facebook, the Htc stuff in gapps and talkback. You can always add these back via the Market. The reason is to keep the image a little cleaner.
    - (a2) Audio fix added.
    - (a3) Added changes to the framework for smaller status bar and VEGAn boot screen.
    - (a3) Added Gingerbread keyboard.
    - (b1) SSL bug fixed. Also, added the latest YouTube and Gmail apps. Removed the user apk script for now, as it's really buggy.
    - (b2) VOLD post-boot replaced with a mount commend. Should be more stable and might fix the disappearing apps, I hope. New Gmail, adhoc wireless support added, adfree hosts file removed (get "adfree android" app in the market to get it back), removed the Phone apks which should improve battery life.
    - (b3) Mounting issues should be completely corrected, audio issues are corrected, new rothnic theme added, new Gmail and Voice apps, new Settings app with advanced Wifi (and policy is set to "never sleep" by default).

1.0.0 Beta 3:

4G6n2.png

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Archives:

1.0.0 Beta2 Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?c9a1c11zz1wgza9
    Alternate link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MKKNTZP1
    md5sum: 1b16d0cf7f02702a6796914195d8339b
    1.0.0 Beta1 Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?5hr09gj53ut1208
    Alternate link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y9NR34AD
    md5sum: 2906ed4fd5ae4fc1954b7b5e766f1507
    1.0.0 Alpha3 Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?tzhc7vtstdl128x
    Alternate link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9SPCOMPY
    md5sum: 148a7bf52458cbedc9d859e91281a6c8
    1.0.0 Alpha2 Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?bdurosaclrp4r3i
    Alternate link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H264QQRH
    md5sum: 2541fccfb01fb8b398fc38beaa5b3355
    1.0.0 Alpha1 : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9644985&postcount=57
    Message from the EGGHEAD

BETA 3 should be pretty solid! SDCards all mount properly.
    You can see and mount the internal SD Card via USB on your PC now. (SD Card 2 is not available via USB, but I don't think any of the ROMS have that option so that has been moved from an ISSUE to a FEATURE REQUEST.)

The Settings app has changed a bit.(now using the zpad one as a basis.) So you will see the wifi sleep option if you hit your menu key while in wifi settings and hit advanced.

Auto-Brightness.... is not there yet. I am working on it and hope to have that option flushed out by BETA 4.

A few options cause force closes in the settings app... I am working on removing those options completely as they do not pertain to our tablet anyways.(ie. nothing useful)

Rothnic keeps taking our Ginger Theme to the next level with each beta release. Graphics look clean and crisp on the status bar and menus are completely readable and usable.

Audio should now be working Flawlessly. No more AudioFix service needed.... Everything is implemented directly in the OS Framework so everything should be running smother in that dept.

Hopefully some of these improvements(ie. SD Card REAL fix, and Audio REAL fix.) will increase performance even more.

I know some of you are LOVING the new animations and some not. There is a setting in the main settings app under DISPLAY where you can reduce the number of animations used if you wish. (but the ARE there to stay.) :)

Also the ANDROID initial startup screen most were having trouble bypassing is now removed.

Try installing this with JUST a WIPE CACHE from CW. If you have issues then wipe both. but if you are coming from beta 2 you shouldn't have a problem.... but there are always the exceptions.

BETA 3 should be available soon from the original post in the thread (thank you Roebeet for running this side of things, so I can keep my nose in the code!)

Thanks again for all your support! and FEEDBACK! We love hearing how much you all are enjoying VEGAn.

GO GREEN!
    Message from the Egghead

I haven't been able to read all the latest comments. From what I have seen it seems that (other than some minor issues that either fix themselves after a reboot (I'll look into the audio muting thing I saw a few posts back) or have been fixed by doing a data wipe because something in a previous install was hanging things up) BETA 3 is pretty stable. I have been working on some of the major issues to be patched in BETA 4. I have fixed autoBrightness which has been a major stopping point for some people when considering this ROM.

I have submitted all of our information to Koush so that we can get our ROM into ROM Manager! Just waiting to hear back from him. Exciting stuff there! :D

If you would like to see how BETA 4 is coming along feel free to stop by: http://vegantab.gojimi.com I am trying to update that site as I fix items in VEGAn and as Other news arises.

Once again the 3 of us are ever thankful for your support!

Now time to put my nose back in the code! :)
    Some questions answered:

Keyboard and Mouse Support
    Yes, VEGAn-TAB supports an external keyboard and mouse, but it is picky. I have tested three keyboards; only one worked (MS Natural Keyboard). The MS Arc and an old Compaq keyboard did not. All mouses tested worked fine (both wireless and wired).

Problems with acore FC's
    1. Wipe cache and reboot. If FC's persist;
    2. Wipe data/factory reset and cache. If FC's persist;
    3. Wipe data/factory reset and cache and reinstall.

Wallpaper blurry
    Some have pointed to applications that can possibly fix this (Wallpaper Set & Save, MultiPicture Live Wallpaper) but I have had limited success with both of these. A bit of experimenting with different wallpapers will yield a satisfactory wallpaper image until this is cleared up at a later time.

Screen resolution in landscape (horizontal) mode
    1024 x 600. Remember that if you're making wallpaper, when using the G-Tab in portrait mode (vertically) will make the wallpaper shrink and there will be black bars on top and below the image. Best image size: 1024 x 1024.

Is there a difference between the marketplace that comes with VEGAn-TAB or the new "improved" market?
    The only difference is the appearance. In functionality, it is the same. The market hack is still required for the new improved marketplace (and reports are that it often takes more tries to make work than the standard market).

Why do I keep seeing repartitioning as a solution to install problems?
    Because Viewsonic didn't partition the G-Tablets in a way that Android likes to live on. By repartitioning, Android feels happier and many issues/problems are resolved.

What is the recommended repartition ratio?
    2GB/256MB or 2GB/512MB.

Why won't one of the devs answer my question/post?
    Because they:

1. Have day jobs.
    2. Are busy coding and fixing the next release of VEGAn-TAB.
    3. Have seen your question 23 times already in this thread: the search function is your friend.
    4. Are not being paid to read forums and go through 100's of posts, many of which ask the same question (although they do this out of the kindness of their hearts thankfully!!!).

I can't get X to work on my G-Tab. Can you fix it?
    Maybe. Maybe not. Currently, VEGAn-TAB is in Beta which means that it's still in testing. While it may be stable and usable for most people, it doesn't mean that it will be completely stable for you. If you have problems, post them and be happy knowing that you're helping the community at-large. Some problems may not be reproducible, however. In that case, it may be a matter of a corrupt install, conflict with previous install, cache or data issue, etc.

Do the dev's accept donations for their work?
    Some do; others don't. If you see a donate button on their profile, feel free. If not, they don't accept them.

How to get the stock VEGAn-TAB wallpaper without the letters?
    See attached image in 1024 x 1024.
    VEGAn-TAB sounds vegetarian

Well our logo is a tomato with a bite out of it.... lol... I wonder if that impedes on any trademarks..... :D