Root your device EASILY! [CASUAL] [Linux] [Windows] [Mac]

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Ok guys, I've been putting work into CASUAL for Windows and Linux. Mac is still experimental. Here's how this works: I'm comitted to providing an easy way to root your device and you provide me with feedback, positive or negative. All I'm asking for is if it worked or where it failed and what type of computer you're using.

Introduction
This root method should be about the easiest one ever created. You launch the java JAR file and click "Do It". CASUAL will take care of installing drivers, runtimes, providing clear and easy-to-understand instructions. I want this to be easy and if there's something that can be improved, let me know.

Instructions
  1. Click here and make sure Java is up-to-date (not JavaScript that you hear about all the security vulnerabilities, Java).
  2. Download and launch CASUAL
  3. Plug in your device
  4. click "Do It!"
    note: if it asks you to install drivers, you want to do MSM8960.

Download
Download Root AT&T GS3 - CASUAL Revision 515b

http://goo.im/devs/AdamOutler/GS3-Root-ATT-Can

30jlfzd.png

Conclusion
Again, this is a test of CASUAL. I want to improve it. I would like your help in getting feedback to improve the Cross-platform ADB Scripting Unified Android Loader platform. I need to confirm that this works on all operating systems.

Test list:
Crossed off means it was tested.

High Priority OS's
Windows 7 -32 bit
Windows 7 - 64 bit

Windows 8
OSX Lion
OSX Mountain Lion

Debian based Linux 64
Debian based Linux 32

Raspberry Pi running Debian based distributions

Low Priority OS's
Windows XP 32
Windows XP 64
OSX Tiger
OSX Leopard
OSX Snow Leopard

Releases
CASUAL R302b - Initial release
CASUAL R306b - fixed freezing on Linux64, needs retesting on Windows and Mac.
CASUAL R308b - fixed freezing on Windows by reorganizing data collection. This may be an error on Windows Java where reading Error Stream too quickly causes a crash.

If you find a problem, or even find a solution, please let me know. I am subuscribed to this thread.

Last edited:

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Very Nice my friend will have to try this if my wife lets me root her Galaxy AT&T:good:, Do have a question does this trip your counter like Odin one Does, Also i see you got Windows 7 64 bit cross off i only use 64 bit on Windows 7 will this work on 64 bit?

Yes. It will trip the flash counter. This is part of the Loke daemon on the device and I cannot change that. You can use Triangle Away to remove the counter.

I'm crossing off operating systems which have been tested. As feedback comes in, they will be crossed off or have a note put by them until the next release.

Yes. It will trip the flash counter. This is part of the Loke daemon on the device and I cannot change that. You can use Triangle Away to remove the counter.

I'm crossing off operating systems which have been tested. As feedback comes in, they will be crossed off or have a note put by them until the next release.

Ok well that's great News that it will work with Windows 7 64 bit Thanks!:good:

Reactions: Filantropo75

stratatak7

Swappa Representative
Jun 6, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Re: Root your device EASILY! [CASUAL] [Experimental]

Thank you very much for all your work Adam. This is awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

upndwn4par

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2012
New Jersey
Any plans to incorporate flashing a custom recovery at some point?

Sort of a one-click tool to take from stock to ready to flash a ROM?

shoupness

Aug 20, 2011
Re: Root your device EASILY! [CASUAL] [Experimental]

Used this on win 7 32. Worked perfectly no problem. Thanks a lot. Helped me in a huge way.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Used this on win 7 32. Worked perfectly no problem. Thanks a lot. Helped me in a huge way.

Thanks! Crossed off the list!

I should also mention that you don't need to be stock. You can be rooted. The test is complete when you see Chainfire's CFAutoRoot.

Last edited:

Tyler.Boston1

Aug 31, 2012
Windows 8 32bit is a no go. It hangs at checking device. I let it sit for about 10 minutes.
And as for windows 7 32bit also hangs on checking device but also tells me my device isn't paired right? It tells me to wait for onscreen instructions on my device that say to allow this computer and it doesn't ever pop up.

Last edited:

jrloper

Jul 29, 2011
Logan, OH
Windows 8 32bit is a no go. It hangs at checking device. I let it sit for about 10 minutes.
And as for windows 7 32bit also hangs on checking device but also tells me my device isn't paired right? It tells me to wait for onscreen instructions on my device that say to allow this computer and it doesn't ever pop up.

Will you post your log (About -> Show Log) to pastebin and link it here

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Ok, the freezing issue should be fixed.

I belive i have found an error in the Java language which I've isolated to Windows only. It appears to be an actual Java error. If you start a process, open a buffered reader to the process' STDERR and STDOUT, then immediately attempt to readLine from STDERR from a process which does not have a STDERR stream, it will halt the application and never finish the operation. I worked around this issue by reading STDERR after reading STDOUT. Line 131 addresses this issue https://code.google.com/p/android-c...ide&path=/trunk/GUI/src/CASUAL/Shell.java#131

Reactions: enewman17

Chuckd610

Aug 8, 2010
Philly, PA
This is a much needed tool for me......thanks! Quick question...whenever I install any utiluty/tool related to Heimdall, my computer stops recognizing my device, and I have to reinstall samsung drivers. Am I missing something? I using windows btw.

jrloper

Jul 29, 2011
Logan, OH
This is a much needed tool for me......thanks! Quick question...whenever I install any utiluty/tool related to Heimdall, my computer stops recognizing my device, and I have to reinstall samsung drivers. Am I missing something? I using windows btw.

Heimdall requires a generic driver, (WinUSB / libusb0 / libusbK), normally installed by Zadig.exe when your phone is in Download mode.
This shouldn't affect your device in normal (Android) mode, only in Download mode. If your having to reinstall drivers in normal mode you're doing it wrong, you installed the driver while your phone is in normal mode.

Because your phone has a different PID when its in Download from when its in normal mode (the driver from download mode can't be loaded in normal mode), thats the only reason I can think of why that would have happened.

Using USBDeview, (with your phone unplugged) remove all "Samsung" Drivers then next when you plug in your phone Windows will install the correct driver from the inf store.

Attachments

• USBDeview.zip
    48.1 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Reactions: manfromgta

Gandalf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Hey man I can do some testing for OS X , specifically 10.8.2 . just send me a PM or something if you'd like some feedback or whatever

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

xxqbnxx

Aug 3, 2010
I have Mac and would like to participate and help in testing but I have a GS3 for T mobile will it work on my phone?

Reactions: Krayziepop

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok guys, I've been putting work into CASUAL for Windows and Linux. Mac is still experimental. Here's how this works: I'm comitted to providing an easy way to root your device and you provide me with feedback, positive or negative. All I'm asking for is if it worked or where it failed and what type of computer you're using.

Introduction
    This root method should be about the easiest one ever created. You launch the java JAR file and click "Do It". CASUAL will take care of installing drivers, runtimes, providing clear and easy-to-understand instructions. I want this to be easy and if there's something that can be improved, let me know.

Instructions
    1. Click here and make sure Java is up-to-date (not JavaScript that you hear about all the security vulnerabilities, Java).
    2. Download and launch CASUAL
    3. Plug in your device
    4. click "Do It!"
      note: if it asks you to install drivers, you want to do MSM8960.

Download
    Download Root AT&T GS3 - CASUAL Revision 515b

http://goo.im/devs/AdamOutler/GS3-Root-ATT-Can

30jlfzd.png

Conclusion
    Again, this is a test of CASUAL. I want to improve it. I would like your help in getting feedback to improve the Cross-platform ADB Scripting Unified Android Loader platform. I need to confirm that this works on all operating systems.

Test list:
    Crossed off means it was tested.

High Priority OS's
    Windows 7 -32 bit
    Windows 7 - 64 bit

Windows 8
    OSX Lion
    OSX Mountain Lion

Debian based Linux 64
    Debian based Linux 32

Raspberry Pi running Debian based distributions

Low Priority OS's
    Windows XP 32
    Windows XP 64
    OSX Tiger
    OSX Leopard
    OSX Snow Leopard

Releases
    CASUAL R302b - Initial release
    CASUAL R306b - fixed freezing on Linux64, needs retesting on Windows and Mac.
    CASUAL R308b - fixed freezing on Windows by reorganizing data collection. This may be an error on Windows Java where reading Error Stream too quickly causes a crash.

If you find a problem, or even find a solution, please let me know. I am subuscribed to this thread.
    OK guys, If anyone wants to try the latest version, here it is... Quick rundown of features..

CASUAL R515
    Windows XP support!
    Faster startup time.
    Fixed Failed to connect bug
    Added suggestions as to how to continue
    Fixed spaces in username bug on windows
    Lots and lots of other fixes

Download Here: http://d-h.st/J9a
    Very Nice my friend will have to try this if my wife lets me root her Galaxy AT&T:good:, Do have a question does this trip your counter like Odin one Does, Also i see you got Windows 7 64 bit cross off i only use 64 bit on Windows 7 will this work on 64 bit?

Thanks! Crossed off the list!

I should also mention that you don't need to be stock. You can be rooted. The test is complete when you see Chainfire's CFAutoRoot.
    ZADIG step failure

Failing on ZADIG

reading ini file 'zadig.ini'
    default driver set to 'WinUSB'
    11 devices found.
    Using inf name: Gadget_Serial_Control.inf
    Succesfully extracted driver files.
    Installing driver. Please wait...
    libwdi:info [extract_binaries] successfully extracted driver files to C:\usb_driver
    libwdi:info [wdi_prepare_driver] succesfully created 'C:\usb_driver\Gadget_Serial_Control.inf'
    libwdi:info [wdi_prepare_driver] Vista or later detected - creating and self-signing a .cat file...
    libwdi:debug [AddFileHash] 'wdfcoinstaller01011.dll': PE type
    libwdi:info [ScanDirAndHash] added hash for 'C:\usb_driver\amd64\wdfcoinstaller01011.dll'
    libwdi:debug [AddFileHash] 'winusbcoinstaller2.dll': PE type
    libwdi:info [ScanDirAndHash] added hash for 'C:\usb_driver\amd64\winusbcoinstaller2.dll'
    libwdi:debug [AddFileHash] 'gadget_serial_control.inf': INF type
    libwdi:info [ScanDirAndHash] added hash for 'C:\usb_driver\gadget_serial_control.inf'
    libwdi:debug [AddFileHash] 'wdfcoinstaller01011.dll': PE type
    libwdi:info [ScanDirAndHash] added hash for 'C:\usb_driver\x86\wdfcoinstaller01011.dll'
    libwdi:debug [AddFileHash] 'winusbcoinstaller2.dll': PE type
    libwdi:info [ScanDirAndHash] added hash for 'C:\usb_driver\x86\winusbcoinstaller2.dll'
    libwdi:info [CreateCat] successfully created file 'C:\usb_driver\Gadget_Serial_Control.cat'
    libwdi:info [RemoveCertFromStore] deleted existing certificate 'CN=USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D (libwdi autogenerated)' from 'Root' store
    libwdi:info [RemoveCertFromStore] deleted existing certificate 'CN=USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D (libwdi autogenerated)' from 'TrustedPublisher' store
    libwdi:debug [CreateSelfSignedCert] set Enhanced Key Usage, URL and CPS
    libwdi:debug [CreateSelfSignedCert] created new key container
    libwdi:debug [CreateSelfSignedCert] generated new keypair
    libwdi:info [CreateSelfSignedCert] created new self-signed certificate 'CN=USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D (libwdi autogenerated)'
    libwdi:debug [SelfSignFile] successfully created certificate 'CN=USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D (libwdi autogenerated)'
    libwdi:info [SelfSignFile] added certificate 'CN=USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D (libwdi autogenerated)' to 'Root' and 'TrustedPublisher' stores
    libwdi:info [SelfSignFile] successfully signed file 'C:\usb_driver\Gadget_Serial_Control.cat'
    libwdi:info [SelfSignFile] successfully deleted private key
    libwdi:debug [wdi_install_driver] using progress bar mode
    libwdi:debug [installer process] got parameter gadget_serial_control.inf
    libwdi:debug [process_message] got request for device_id
    libwdi:debug [installer process] got device_id: 'USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D&MODEM\6&13ED99AD&1&0000'
    libwdi:debug [process_message] got request for hardware_id
    libwdi:debug [installer process] got hardware_id: 'USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D&REV_0100&Modem'
    libwdi:debug [installer process] got user_sid: 'S-1-5-21-1251222588-1426079406-2303531386-1000'
    libwdi:debug [installer process] using syslog 'C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log'
    libwdi:debug [installer process] sylog reader thread started
    libwdi:debug [installer process] successfully disabled the system restore point creation setting
    libwdi:debug [process_message] switching timeout to infinite
    libwdi:debug [installer process] Installing driver for USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D&REV_0100&Modem - please wait...
    libwdi:debug [process_message] switching timeout back to finite
    libwdi:debug [installer process] more recent driver was found (force option required)
    libwdi:debug [process_message] installer process completed
    Driver Installation: FAILED (Resource already exists)
    11 devices found.
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\ROOT_HUB&VID1002&PID4397&REV0000
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 6.1.7601.17586
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] usbhub USB device (0): USB\ROOT_HUB\4&209DFF44&0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\ROOT_HUB&VID1002&PID4397&REV0000
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] usbhub USB device (1): USB\ROOT_HUB\4&21F60AC4&0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\ROOT_HUB&VID1002&PID4399&REV0000
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] usbhub USB device (2): USB\ROOT_HUB\4&67395F2&0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] usbhub USB device (3): USB\ROOT_HUB\4&CA1A60D&0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\ROOT_HUB20&VID1002&PID4396&REV0000
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] usbhub USB device (4): USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&318406F3&0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\ROOT_HUB20&VID1002&PID4396&REV0000
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] usbhub USB device (5): USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&37566865&0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] usbhub USB device (6): USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&3892A9E2&0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\ASMEDIAUSBD_Hub&VID_040E&PID_0100&REV_0000
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 1.10.0.0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] asmthub3 USB device (7): USB\VID_040E&PID_0100&ASMEDIAUSBD_HUB\5&2AE38653&0&0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'USB Root Hub'
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\ASMEDIAUSBD_Hub&VID_040E&PID_0100&REV_0000
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 1.10.0.0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] asmthub3 USB device (8): USB\VID_040E&PID_0100&ASMEDIAUSBD_HUB\5&3708C5E2&0&0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'USB Root Hub'
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_045E&PID_074B&REV_0260
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\DevClass_00&SubClass_00&Prot_00
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] usbccgp USB device (9): USB\VID_045E&PID_074B\5&1CC56EFC&0&1
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Microsoft® SiderWinderTM X6 Keyboard (Composite Parent)'
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_045E&PID_074B&REV_0260&MI_00
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_03&SubClass_01&Prot_01
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 9.3.161.0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] HidUsb USB device (10): USB\VID_045E&PID_074B&MI_00\6&1F82CADC&0&0000
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Microsoft® SiderWinderTM X6 Keyboard (Interface 0)'
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_045E&PID_074B&REV_0260&MI_01
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_03&SubClass_00&Prot_00
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 6.1.7601.17514
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] HidUsb USB device (11): USB\VID_045E&PID_074B&MI_01\6&1F82CADC&0&0001
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Microsoft® SiderWinderTM X6 Keyboard (Interface 1)'
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_045E&PID_074F&REV_0140
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_03&SubClass_01&Prot_02
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 9.3.161.0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] HidUsb USB device (12): USB\VID_045E&PID_074F\5&1CC56EFC&0&4
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Microsoft® 2.4GHz Transceiver v5.0'
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D&REV_0100
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_02&SubClass_02&Prot_01
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 2.9.507.0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] dg_ssudbus USB device (13): USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D\5&27095923&0&2
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'MSM8960'
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D&REV_0100&Modem
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_02&SubClass_02&Prot_01
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 2.9.507.0
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Modem USB device (14): USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D&MODEM\6&13ED99AD&1&0000
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Gadget Serial Control'
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_058F&PID_6364&REV_0100
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\DevClass_00&SubClass_00&Prot_00
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] usbccgp USB device (15): USB\VID_058F&PID_6364\058F63646476
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Mass Storage Device (Composite Parent)'
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_058F&PID_6364&REV_0100&MI_00
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_08&SubClass_06&Prot_50
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 6.1.7601.17577
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] USBSTOR USB device (16): USB\VID_058F&PID_6364&MI_00\6&82F8931&0&0000
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Mass Storage Device (Interface 0)'
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_058F&PID_6364&REV_0100&MI_01
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_03&SubClass_00&Prot_00
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 6.1.7601.17514
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] HidUsb USB device (17): USB\VID_058F&PID_6364&MI_01\6&82F8931&0&0001
    libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Mass Storage Device (Interface 1)'
    ----------------------------------------

Windows 7 64 bit
    Removed Samsung Drivers with - USBView
    Installed Factory Samsung Drivers
    All drivers installed
    Ran program,
    Got ZADIG popup
    Failure on installing driver