[HOW-TO] Upgrade or Downgrade to any stock JB Firmware

Search This thread

Rhian

Yes, that is indeed how it works if you do NOT have a recovery installed (I don't know about still being locked).
I tried and tested it. (Although I ended up with the same problems I mentioned before, the 10.4.2.20 kills my WiFi connectivity.)

So what to do if you have a recovery installed and unlocked? Do you have to follow the OP?

Yes!

Because if you try to run the downgrade directly from the JB, it reboots into the recovery partition (thus TWRP), instead of preparing the downgrade. (This is why I needed to use the steps in the OP to prepare mine for downgrading without adding the last recovery install step).

I suspect it sends a command to whatever is in the stock recovery partition for preparation of the upgrade, because simply erasing the recovery partition doesn't make it work either. (After the system image is written through the recovery, the original stock recovery partition is restored, and that made it possible to use the downloaded up/down-grade.)

Sent from my lap using an amazing android device :)

Dr.Alexander_Breen

Jun 17, 2012
Guys, now that is something interesting. That means I can flash back ICS and do NVFlash?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-08-23-37-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-08-23-37-04.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 238

nevarDeath

May 10, 2010
Did this following the OPs instructions. Went from stock 4.2.2 down to 4.1.1 and was able to flash CM10 successfully :D I used the 10.4.2.20 firmware to do it.

markymark567

Nov 18, 2012
just wanted to say thanks for the guide, worked like a charm, i'll go back to 4.2.1 as soon as kernel source drops, but until then, rocking 3.4.6 cromi

TF700 kernels are out bud. They make the tf300 lightning quick!!! You better upgrade again cuz your missing out hahahahahaha

Sent from my YP-G1 using xda app-developers app

aerdely

May 8, 2010
how can i unlock 4.2.1??

Download the unlock tool from asustek website. Also make sure what u are using it for if you no longer have warranty or just don't care and want roms and recovery then use it but if you have warranty remember it will void it asus will know automatically and you will no longer receive updates. Other wise just download from asus site install with file manager and run it pretty simple.

Last edited:

Kaptinkrunk

Feb 20, 2012
GastesOfHell
Google Pixel 6a
already done that maybe the when i rma'ed it maybe they put something to stop me from unlocking it?? the tool doesnt work? to downgrade you have to be unlocked? i have it on the sd and its popping up like its good for a downgrade...

aerdely

May 8, 2010
already done that maybe the when i rma'ed it maybe they put something to stop me from unlocking it?? the tool doesnt work? to downgrade you have to be unlocked? i have it on the sd and its popping up like its good for a downgrade...

Don't have to be unlocked to downgrade. If you were unlocked when yo rma'd it and they fixed it your stuck because its still probably in there system as already being unlocked ie no warranty so it won't allow it again. Other wise not sure why it wouldn't work. They wouldn't purposly stop you only another possible firmware update would but they gave use the tool to use at our discression wouldnt matter to them because they only make more money when u send it in for rma after your unlocked.

Reactions: Kaptinkrunk

Kaptinkrunk

Feb 20, 2012
GastesOfHell
Google Pixel 6a
Don't have to be unlocked to downgrade. If you were unlocked when yo rma'd it and they fixed it your stuck because its still probably in there system as already being unlocked ie no warranty so it won't allow it again. Other wise not sure why it wouldn't work. They wouldn't purposly stop you only another possible firmware update would but they gave use the tool to use at our discression wouldnt matter to them because they only make more money when u send it in for rma after your unlocked.

Awesome so I can downgrade it and unlock and the rest.. Or will it brick it because every downgrade I read says unlocked only... Its never been in locked eithr

KrunK Nook Color CM10.1 beta ThyrusHolo Black

aerdely

May 8, 2010
As far as i know wouldn't have to be unlcked now i've never done it my self but others have told me no need to in when you download the desired asus firmware, unzip it and rename it method i explained it to someone who wanted to reflash they're current version which was 10.6.1.8 and it work for them although it didn't fix the problem because theirs was a harware issue. Now you can try to downgrade while being locked with that method wouldn't hurt you'd just get the dead android on its back if the tablet denied it. Like said don't take my word for it haven't needed to do it my self just remember other explaining it that way and reporting success. If not then just unlock and use the adb method if feel like it the other is supposed to be safer though.

I will attempt it my self i'd like to know for sure too and i'm locked will let you know.

Last edited:

aerdely

May 8, 2010
Update it works just fine even if locked still posting right now and on 4.1.1
Good thing dont even have to rename downloaded unzipped and was already named correctly just copied from my sdcard to internal storage and remove my sdcard then update notification appeard which just went through the prompts and likean update just went through. Should be able to go as far back as 1st jb update but probably wont need to. Also got the prompt for and ota which is downloading then back to 4.2.1 good luck

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After almost a full day of flashing I now have a 100% successful method of flashing any stock JB Firmware
    With this method I have been able to successfully flash any stock JB Firmware from 10.4.2.9 all the way through to 10.6.1.27.5 without issue.
    unfortunately you can not go back to ICS bootloader or firmware (there is a signature mismatch issue here).

Try this at your own risk, I will not be responsible for a bricked device.

Recommend doing NVFlash first so your tablet is Unbrickable
    NVFlash for ICS bootloader
    NVFlash for JB bootloader

Warning:
    If you flash an incorrect recovery to a 4.2 bootloader there is about a 90% chance that fastboot flash commands will now just freeze the tablet - When you attempt to flash via fastboot everything will seem to go ok on the command prompt but you will not see the blue progress bar on the tablet when flashing & the reboot command will not reboot the tablet after the flash command & nothing will have flashed to the tablet.

If this is the case try this solution.

Please read below for how to check your bootloader version and confirm your flashing the correct recovery.

Requirements:
    • Must be unlocked (Method 1 seems to work fine for locked devices but must be unlocked for Method 2 to flash custom recovery).
    • Must have working fastboot
    • Working adb in recovery (optional). I use adb in this method for rebooting but this can be done manually with vol- & power.

Always make a backup first.

Files Needed:
    Download the stock JB firmware you wish to flash from either the Asus website or from the Index thread here, be sure to download the correct SKU version you wish to use On your tablet you can check what SKU your using by going to settings>about tablet, scroll down to build number and you can see SKU version..

If using method 2 download the TWRP recovery you require, Here is a link to the TWRP thread. When you download a version of TWRP it will have a name like "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-4.2.blob" - You can rename to something shorter for flashing if you like, I rename like so "twrp-2.5.0.0-4.2.blob".

What recovery to flash for bootloader version: example for TF300T model:

Check & confirm what bootloader your on - boot to bootloader menu (vol- & power) and look at the text in top left, your bootloader version number is there.

JB 4.1 firmwares

• If current bootloader = 10.4.2.9 - JB 4.1 - recovery to flash = TWRP "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-JB.blob" or CWM
    • If current bootloader = 10.4.2.13 - JB 4.1 - recovery to flash = TWRP "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-JB.blob" or CWM
    • If current bootloader = 10.4.2.17 - JB 4.1 - recovery to flash = TWRP "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-JB.blob" or CWM
    • If current bootloader = 10.4.2.18 - JB 4.1 - recovery to flash = TWRP "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-JB.blob" or CWM
    • If current bootloader = 10.4.2.20 - JB 4.1 - recovery to flash = TWRP "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-JB.blob" or CWM

JB 4.2 Firmwares

• If current bootloader = 10.6.1.8 - JB 4.2 - recovery to flash = ONLY TWRP "openrecovery-twrp-2.4.4.0-tf300t-4.2.blob" - flashing a non-4.2 version of TWRP or any version of CWM will brick device. Also flashing 2.5.0.0-tf300t-4.2 on the 10.6.1.8 bootloader results in a split-screen issue.
    • If current bootloader = 10.6.1.15.3 - JB 4.2 - recovery to flash = ONLY TWRP "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-4.2.blob" - flashing a non-4.2 version of TWRP or any version of CWM will brick device.
    • If current bootloader = 10.6.1.27.1 - JB 4.2 - recovery to flash = ONLY TWRP "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-4.2.blob" - flashing a non-4.2 version of TWRP or any version of CWM will brick device.
    • If current bootloader = 10.6.1.27.5 - JB 4.2 - recovery to flash = ONLY TWRP "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-4.2.blob" - flashing a non-4.2 version of TWRP or any version of CWM will brick device.

My Notes about TWRP 2.4.4.0-4.2:
    TWRP 2.4.4.0-4.2 will not mount my sandisk 64gb micro SDXC UHS-1 class 10 card, but previous versions of TWRP have no issue. I believe this is a UHS-1 issue. TWRP 2.5.0.0-4.2 has fixed this bug and and can now mount 64gb micro SDXC UHS-1 class 10 card again.

Method 1

1. Unzip the firmware zip you downloaded, there will be another zip file inside.

Example:
      Lets say you choose WW 10.4.2.20 firmware. (same method apply's for any firmware version and SKU you choose - US, WW, JP, TW, CN)
      [*]Unzip "WW_epaduser_10_4_2_20_UpdateLauncher.zip"and you will find another zip inside "WW_epad-user-10.4.2.20.zip".
      [*]Now unzip the WW_epad-user-10.4.2.20.zip and you will find a "blob" file.
      [*]Now copy the blob file to your android-sdk\platform-tools folder.

Now to the flashing:
    2. With your device loaded in android go to settings, developer options and make sure they are on & usb debugging is on.
      [*]Plug device into PC with usb cable & boot to fastboot.

Using adb commands

Open command prompt (run as admin) & cd to you android-sdk\platform-tools folder.
      Check your PC can see your device
      Code:
      adb devices
      You should get a list with you device s/n, if not then adb is not setup.
      Next
      Code:
      adb reboot-bootloader

or

Manually boot to fastboot

Hold vol- & power button to boot to bootloader then connect to PC.

Fastboot will start automatically when connected to PC on the 4.2 bootloaders. On 4.1 bootloaders you will need to select the usb icon using vol- to highlight the usb icon and vol+ to select.

Note:
      In bootloader NEVER select the Wipe Data icon or you will brick.

3. Once in fastboot open command prompt & cd to you android-sdk\platform-tools folder and type command
      Code:
      fastboot devices
      and again here you should get a list with you device s/n, if not then fastboot is not setup.

[*]If OK we can now flash the system blob we put in the platform-tools folder

Code:
      fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash staging blob

This will take about 10 minutes to send & write system, you will see a progress bar on device when system is writing.

[*]When complete

Code:
      fastboot reboot

This method should work fine but have found that sometimes the device will get stuck at the boot animation, if this happens method 2 works fine every time.

Method 2

1. Unzip the firmware zip you downloaded, there will be another zip file inside.

Example:
      Lets say you choose WW 10.4.2.20 firmware. (same method applys for any firmware version and SKU you choose - US, WW, JP, TW, CN)
      [*]Unzip "WW_epaduser_10_4_2_20_UpdateLauncher.zip"and you will find another zip inside "WW_epad-user-10.4.2.20.zip".

[*]Place a copy of the WW_epad-user-10.4.2.20.zip on your microSD card.
      [*]Now on PC unzip the WW_epad-user-10.4.2.20.zip and you will find a "blob" file.
      [*]Now copy the blob file to your android-sdk\platform-tools folder.

[*]Now copy the "twrp-version.blob" file you downloaded to your android-sdk\platform-tools folder.
      --Make sure you have the correct twrp version for the firmware your flashing.

Now to the flashing:
    2. With your device loaded in android go to settings, developer options and make sure they are on & usb debugging is on.
      [*]Plug device into PC with usb cable & boot to fastboot.

Using adb commands

Open command prompt (run as admin) & cd to you android-sdk\platform-tools folder.
      Check your PC can see your device
      Code:
      adb devices
      You should get a list with you device s/n, if not then adb is not setup.
      Next
      Code:
      adb reboot-bootloader

Manually boot to fastboot

Hold vol- & power button to boot to bootloader then connect to PC

Fastboot will start automatically when connected to PC on the 4.2 bootloaders. On 4.1 bootloaders you will need to select the usb icon using vol- to highlight usb icon and vol+ to select.

Note:
      In bootloader NEVER select the Wipe Data icon or you will brick.

3. Once in fastboot open command prompt & cd to you android-sdk\platform-tools folder and type command.
      Code:
      fastboot devices
      and again here you should get a list with you device s/n, if not then fastboot is not setup.

[*]If OK we can now flash the system blob we put in the platform-tools folder.

Code:

This will take about 10 minutes to send & write system, you will see a progress bar on device when system is writing.

[*]Once this has completed type in the command prompt.
      Code:
      fastboot reboot-bootloader

You can now check that your bootloader has upgraded/downgraded, look at the text in the top left of the bootloader screen and make sure it's changed to the firmware version you just flashed.

[*]Now again depending on the bootloader version go to fastboot.

Next
      [*]In the below command I am using "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-JB.blob" for JB firmware 10.4.2.20, and shortened the name "twrp-JB.blob" so just change command according to TWRP version needed.
      Code:
      fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery twrp-JB.blob
      [*]Once this has completed type in the command prompt.
      Code:

[*]Now this time in bootloader select the "RCK" icon to enter twrp recovery.
      [*]In twrp recovery select "Wipe".
      [*]Here I do a complete wipe (cache, Dalvik cache, Factory Reset, System, Internal Storage & Format Data) I don't believe Internal Storage & Data Format are necessary but I like a full clean flash.

[*]Once you have done full wipe type in command prompt.
      Code:
      adb reboot-bootloader

or manually reboot to bootloader, hold vol- and power button.

[*]Now again in bootloader select the "RCK" icon to enter twrp recovery.
      [*]In twrp recovery disconnect your device usb cable from PC.

[*]Select "Install" & select the firmware zip you copied to your external sd card and slide to flash/install.

[*]Once completed reboot, you will get message at top of recovery saying there is no OS installed are you sure you want to reboot - slide to confirm yes, another message will popup asking if you want root permissions installed - I select NO "Do not install" you can probably select yes here if you want twrp to root.

The device will reboot, you'll see a progress bar as the signature is being matched, it will reboot again when done.
      Now device will boot with the stock JB bootloader & firmware you have chosen.

Done.

You can now flash twrp, then flash any custom rom for that firmware.

As I have said I have done this with all stock WW JB firmware available and can confirm that the bootloader does change and system will boot and run without any issues. But try at own risk.

Firmware I have done this with: Only tried with WW SKU

More Info:
    Downgrading from CROMi-X back to CROMi-3.4.6

Upgrading from ICS to JB

If you this information is helpful please hit the thanks button.
    Downgrading from CROMi-X back to CROMi-3.4.6

Here are two methods I use for downgrading from CROMi-X back to CROMI (4.2 bootloader back to 4.1 bootloader).

Method 1

1. Download the 10.4.2.20 firmware zip - All stock asus firmware zips can be found here - On your tablet you can check what SKU your using by going to settings>about tablet, scroll down to build number and you can see SKU version.
    2. Once downloaded unzip xx_epaduser_10_4_2_20_UpdateLauncher.zip to a folder & you should find a second zip file, xx_epad-user-10.4.2.20.zip - xx is the SKU version your using, ie WW/US...
    3. Unzip the xx_epad-user-10.4.2.20.zip and you should find a blob file - this file is the 10.4.2.20 system, stock recovery, kernel & bootloader all rolled into a one blob file.
    4. Copy this blob file to your android-sdk/platform-tools folder
    5. The version of twrp you need for 10.4.2.20 would be "2.5.0.0-tf300t-JB.blob" NOT THE -4.2 versions, these are for the 4.2 bootloaders which are firmwares 10.6.1.8 / 10.6.1.15.3 / 10.6.1.27.1
    6. So download "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-JB.blob" and also put this in android-sdk/platform-tools folder - you can rename it to something shorter if you want, like "twrp-JB.blob"
    7. Download CROMI 3.4.6.zip and copy to your microSD card.
      CleanROM 3.4.6 Inheritance ODEX_Signed.zip
      CleanROM 3.4.6 Inheritance DEODEX_Signed.zip
    8. Now boot device to bootloader (vol- & power) and connect to PC - fastboot will start automatically when connected to PC on the 4.2 bootloaders.
    9. Open command prompt (run as admin) & check that PC can see your device OK.

Code:
      fastboot devices
    10. you should see device s/n here, if OK we can flash the system blob we put in the platform-tools folder

Code:

This will take about 10 minutes, it will send file then write file and you should a blue progress bar on tab when it starts to write.

11. When complete

Code:
    12. You should now check that your bootloader has downgraded, look at the text in the top left of the bootloader screen and make sure it's now has 10.4.2.20 - you should now also have 4 icons RCK (recovery), android (cold boot), usb (fastboot) & wipe-data - don't use the wipe data icon in bootloader - it seems to brick tabs.

13. So from bootloader screen go to fastboot (vol- to the usb icon - then vol+ to select) and flash the twrp recovery.

Code:

again here you should see a blue progress bar on your tab.

14. When complete reboot to bootloader again.

Code:
    15. This time select the "RCK" icon and twrp recovery should boot up.

16. I do a full wipe here in recovery then reboot back to recovery again as I also format data in recovery.

Code:
      adb reboot-bootloader
    17. Now select RCK and boot back to recovery, select and flash the CROMI 3.4.6.zip you put on your micro SD.
    18. When complete reboot system, Done.

This method should work fine but have found that sometimes the device will get stuck at the boot animation, if this happens method 2 works fine every time.

Method 2

1. Download the 10.4.2.20 firmware zip - All stock asus firmware zips can be found here - On your tablet you can check what SKU your using by going to settings>about tablet, scroll down to build number and you can see SKU version.
    2. Once downloaded unzip xx_epaduser_10_4_2_20_UpdateLauncher.zip to a folder & you should find a second zip file, xx_epad-user-10.4.2.20.zip - xx is the SKU version your using, ie WW/US...
    3. Here I put a copy of the xx_epad-user-10.4.2.20.zip on my micro SD card. You can also download & copy the CROMI 3.4.6 zip to your microSD.
    4. On pc unzip the xx_epad-user-10.4.2.20.zip and you should find a blob file - this file is the 10.4.2.20 system, stock recovery, kernel & bootloader all rolled into a one blob file.
    5. Copy this blob file to your android-sdk/platform-tools folder
    6. The version of twrp you need for 10.4.2.20 would be "2.5.0.0-tf300t-JB.blob" NOT THE -4.2 versions, these are for the 4.2 bootloaders which are firmwares 10.6.1.8 & 10.6.1.15.3
    7. So download "twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-JB.blob" and also put this in android-sdk/platform-tools folder - you can rename it to something shorter if you want, like twrp-JB.blob
    8. Now boot tab to bootloader and connect to pc - fastboot will start automatically when connected to pc on the 4.2 bootloaders.
    9. Check that pc can see your device ok

Code:
      fastboot devices
    10. you should see device s/n here, if ok we can flash the system blob we put in the platform-tools folder

Code:

This will take about 10 minutes, it will send file then write file and you should a blue progress bar on tab when it starts to write.

11. When complete

Code:
    12. You should now check that your bootloader has downgraded, look at the text in the top left of the bootloader screen and make sure it's now has 10.4.2.20 - you should now also have 4 icons RCK (recovery), android (cold boot), usb (fastboot) & wipe-data - don't use the wipe data icon in bootloader - it seems to brick tabs.

13. So from bootloader screen go to fastboot (vol- to the usb icon - then vol+ to select) and flash the twrp recovery.

Code:

again here you should see a blue progress bar on your tab.

14. When complete reboot to bootloader again.

Code:
    15. This time select the "RCK" icon and twrp recovery should boot up.

16. I do a full wipe here in recovery then reboot back to recovery again as I also format data in recovery.

Code:
      adb reboot-bootloader
    17. Now select RCK and boot back to recovery, select and flash the xx_epad-user-10.4.2.20.zip you put on your micro SD.
    18. When complete reboot system & again on boot you should see a blue progress bar, it will reboot once more and load up to android.
    19. You have now downgraded to stock 10.4.2.20 - you will also have stock recovery so just fastboot flash twrp again, step 13-14.
    20. Boot to twrp recovery and flash the CROMI 3.4.6 rom zip, reboot, Done.
    Thank you for the detailed information. Couldn't one just flash the stock .zip file from TWRP, reboot, reinstall TWRP recovery from fastboot and then wipe in TWRP as you would do when upgrading? I have done that between JB releases before, but I guess the bootloader didn't change.

Yeah quite possibly, I didn't even think to try it that way :laugh:

However if just flashing the system blob via fastboot then rebooting, my devices will get to the boot animation screen and just sit there.

I do prefer being on the correct bootloader before flashing the firmware though and this way allows for that.
    Have you actually downgraded from 4.2.1 to 4.1.1?

I'm on 4.2.1 (10.6.1.8; Energy Rom) at the moment and eager to browse all those nice custom roms that are based on 10.4.x.x. like cm 10.1 & co.

Since the 4.2 upgrade rearranged the file system i'm afraid of messing it up when reverting to pre-multiuser-versions ...

Also i'd love to have this nvflash brickproof thingie ...

You think I could give this a go?

To be honest - I'm not sure, I didn't downgrade, let pjc21 say did he. I would be afraid to do mess with file system just like you.
    But I would be interested to try this if his downgrading method works.
    Hi, sorry to revive an old post.
    I have a TF300T with 4.2.1 stock and no unlocked bootloader. I've downloaded v8 bootloader and it gives me "network connectivity issue" every time.
    I'm currently trying to figure this out with Asus Support, but since I've seen this had something to do with the Device Tracker database and it seems Device Tracker doesn't exist anymore... then my guess is v8 won't work.

So I'm wondering if v7 would work even if it says on Asus Support that it's only for 4.0... I've seen a youtube video of a guy unlocking and installing twrp on a 4.2.1 with v7. Is this a bad idea? Otherwise, could I use the fastboot method to flash in a 4.0 ROM and try v7 and once unlocked, upgrade to 4.2.1 again?

Hope I get an answer. Thanks!

Your problem is well known and widely discussed on several forums. To your understanding please Google it firstly if you want to unlock your devise. Here we go:

1. As far as I know V8 does not install at all anymore. V7 will install if you allow "less secure apps" in your Google account settings. On the web - not your Google account on the tablet!

2. Delete the Google account from the tablet (Settings > Accounts), then run the tool again,

3. If that doesn't do it, do a factory reset from Settings, reboot and during the initial setup establish a WiFi connection but skip the google account setup, then run the tool.

This can be a 5 Minute operation that goes without a hitch or a very frustrating experience with lots of error messages. There is no definite rhyme or reason for this. For some people it works like a charm, for others it works after 15, 25 or 55 attempts, for some never....
    To check finally if you are unlocked, boot the tablet and read the tiny script in the left corner above. It should say: “The device is unlocked”.