[UC]XDA_UC V2.RC1, Automated & Silent User & Cook, Configuration Service[14/05/10]

My Preferred Method is

• 1 Full XDA_UC Method, Full XDA_UC without RunCC or SDAutorun

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • 2 Semi XDA_UC Method, XDA_UC at second boot after RunCC has run at first boot.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • 3 Method 3 Legacy Out Of The Box

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

cruiserrr

Mar 5, 2008
The Create shortcut function through the registry opens that door already.
There's also another project going on called extendir that is pretty close to what i think you mean.

This is the Autoshortcut thing? can you point me to the relevant threads? I have been looking for it but seems everybody knows what is autoshortcut so did not find explanations on how to use it to restore the shortcut to point wherever you want.

I will check the extendir project

thanks

Noonski

Inactive Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
This is the Autoshortcut thing? can you point me to the relevant threads? I have been looking for it but seems everybody knows what is autoshortcut so did not find explanations on how to use it to restore the shortcut to point wherever you want.

I will check the extendir project

thanks

• Write Files from Registry keys
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\XDA\Write]
    "\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Office Mobile\\icon.lnk"="31#officeres.192.dll,-7690"
  • Create Shortcuts from Registry Keys
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\XDA\AutoShortCut]
    "\\Windows\\StartUpDisabled\\PKG.lnk"="\\Windows\\ PKG.exe"
Two fucntions of XDA_UC :D
I took the Autoshortcut function and added a Write file function to for those nasty shortcuts.

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
  • Write Files from Registry keys
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\XDA\Write]
    "\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Office Mobile\\icon.lnk"="31#officeres.192.dll,-7690"
  • Create Shortcuts from Registry Keys
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\XDA\AutoShortCut]
    "\\Windows\\StartUpDisabled\\PKG.lnk"="\\Windows\\ PKG.exe"
Two fucntions of XDA_UC :D
I took the Autoshortcut function and added a Write file function to for those nasty shortcuts.

Any change you can combine those two?

So you can create a shortcut with things like icons?

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
They could be be merged together.

Bot because there would be more " in the .reg the formating would become to complicated.

So i chose the Write function to keep it easier for others to create a link with custom icons to an app.

I'll look up a few more formating variations like:
"\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Tools\\Total Commander.lnk"="99#\"\\Windows\\cecmd.exe\"?MPI_ProgramIcons.dll,-111"

With the Shortcut create function you can run into the issue where the ,-111 might be as seen a seperator by Mortscript for the parameter.

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
They could be be merged together.

Bot because there would be more " in the .reg the formating would become to complicated.

So i chose the Write function to keep it easier for others to create a link with custom icons to an app.

I'll look up a few more formating variations like:
"\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Tools\\Total Commander.lnk"="99#\"\\Windows\\cecmd.exe\"?MPI_ProgramIcons.dll,-111"

With the Shortcut create function you can run into the issue where the ,-111 might be as seen a seperator by Mortscript for the parameter.
Ah right. As far as I know, you don't need the 99 before the #. If you don't know how long the string is #\\ is fine... :)

cruiserrr

Mar 5, 2008
Hi again Noonski, I have one question for you all !!! after testing the autoshortcut feature (using reg files), I decided to go one step farther and use your tool to clean the garbage left in windows folder.

What I intend to do is delete all lnk and png files already moved to the start menu folders (custom start menu) and delete all the provxml. I like kinda naked roms with lots of shortcuts to sd, so I may have quite a few png files I want to get rid off. What I did is to include a call to a clean.mscr script in the cook.mscr. Is that correct? I have observed it runs after the flash but before the user gets access to the system, so it can not be aborted easily :)

In the second stage, I intend to check user storage card and install custom icons in the appropiate folders for the most popular commercial apps but mostly to apps build in XDA or similar sites (open gl, freeware, etc).

After preliminar exercises done succesfully but before coming starting this time consuming effort I wanted two know a couple of things:

a) xda_uc runs after all the oem cabs and xml and initialflashes.dat have been processed? is something else run after xda_uc (in the "cooking" stage)
b) can I use the autoshortcut function in the "cooking" stage?
c) do you know how can I refresh the start menu without resetting? like the new icons png or even state icons. I would like to refresh the start menu without resetting but do not know how.

As you see it is not clear to me if it can be used as a cooking tool that can be embeded or a user customization tool.

Thanks in advance

makeveral

Hi again Noonski, I have one question for you all !!! after testing the autoshortcut feature (using reg files), I decided to go one step farther and use your tool to clean the garbage left in windows folder.

What I intend to do is delete all lnk and png files already moved to the start menu folders (custom start menu) and delete all the provxml. I like kinda naked roms with lots of shortcuts to sd, so I may have quite a few png files I want to get rid off. What I did is to include a call to a clean.mscr script in the cook.mscr. Is that correct? I have observed it runs after the flash but before the user gets access to the system, so it can not be aborted easily :)

In the second stage, I intend to check user storage card and install custom icons in the appropiate folders for the most popular commercial apps but mostly to apps build in XDA or similar sites (open gl, freeware, etc).

After preliminar exercises done succesfully but before coming starting this time consuming effort I wanted two know a couple of things:

a) xda_uc runs after all the oem cabs and xml and initialflashes.dat have been processed? is something else run after xda_uc (in the "cooking" stage)
c) do you know how can I refresh the start menu without resetting? like the new icons png or even state icons. I would like to refresh the start menu without resetting but do not know how.

As you see it is not clear to me if it can be used as a cooking tool that can be embeded or a user customization tool.

Thanks in advance
usually shorcuts, photos etc are part of the ROM (read-only-memory) so they can't be deleted!

RoryB

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 4, 2008
Lexington
That is one of the nice things about XDA_UC. You can remove the shortcuts from your package and use the registry key method to create the shortcuts in the folders where you want them.

cruiserrr

Mar 5, 2008
but then (and I stop with this question since this is getting off.topic)... it means that any program installed in the rom is either doubled (cab in the rom + files or windows files + program directory files) or poured directly to windows???? sorry if it is a kinda obvious thing but I really did not expect that from M$ talent. Why a cab does not leave garbage and an OEM does??? it does not make sense to me.

By the way, I wanted to make one suggestion to noonski regarding pim backup: I keep it in SD card so my suggestion is to check if it is there in sd\program files in case is not found in main memory. I think it is a great functionality, since it cuts completely the need for a pc to do a quick reinstall.

On the autoshorcut funcionality, does the script check if the target file exists and in case it does not exists, deletes the key from the registry?

Last edited:

makeveral

but then (and I stop with this question since this is getting off.topic)... it means that any program installed in the rom is either doubled (cab in the rom + files or windows files + program directory files) or poured directly to windows???? sorry if it is a kinda obvious thing but I really did not expect that from M$ talent. Why a cab does not leave garbage and an OEM does??? it does not make sense to me.

By the way, I wanted to make one suggestion to noonski regarding pim backup: I keep it in SD card so my suggestion is to check if it is there in sd\program files in case is not found in main memory. I think it is a great functionality, since it cuts completely the need for a pc to do a quick reinstall.

On the autoshorcut funcionality, does the script check if the target file exists and in case it does not exists, deletes the key from the registry?

i'll be short xD. ROM files cannot be deleted mainly because if you make a hardreset all ROM files will be restored and if something was missing it could go wrong.

About the .cab, if you install a .cab at first boot then it will waste 2x space compared to an OEM package because .cab will be flaged as ROM file so it can't be deleted and you will also have the program files (wich can be deleted but it's stupid xD).

cruiserrr

Mar 5, 2008
... it will waste 2x space compared to an OEM package .... xD).

But the oem package again is 2x space if it is something like google maps or youtube since at least lots of dll and files live out of the windows folder... That's my point, the optimal for such programs would then be standard cab installation, ,to mm or sd, depending on frequency of use, and keep them out of the rom ??

makeveral

But the oem package again is 2x space if it is something like google maps or youtube since at least lots of dll and files live out of the windows folder... That's my point, the optimal for such programs would then be standard cab installation, ,to mm or sd, depending on frequency of use, and keep them out of the rom ??

yeah but there's no need to copy that files to program files, you should be able to run them from \windows

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
Ah right. As far as I know, you don't need the 99 before the #. If you don't know how long the string is #\\ is fine... :)

Cool, didn't know that, at least you know why i put 99 there ;)

Thanks in advance

XDA_UC runs after OEM & ProvXML, it then handless the Cabs unless off course the Semi method is used where Legacy Autorun is being used at first boot.
The nature of ROM will prevent you from deleting Files from Windows that are ROM.

Some people use one Zip file that gets extracted to all the subfolders so you have even less files in Windos folder.
And you could even name the .zip into .piz so it's not a recognized extension. Unkown Extensions also seem to lessen the strain on system speed.

Reason that the Autoshortcut comes later on is because you can't get conflicts with Shortcuts that need to be created by .xda .cab and .xml files.
The start menu populates a bit later but there's less change of errors. Also it has to come after adding .xml and .reg so a user can add the registries he/she wants. And .reg and .xml have to come after .cab files so a user can ammend registries that the cab applies to personal settings.

But maybe Autoshortcut can be run twice (one as erly as possible)

I put the Coook.mscr reference for those more into using Mortscript to it's fullest to add their own flavours very early in the Customisation like unzipping files so you can add eventual extra mort commands right into that file, there's no need to make an extra one.

I'm not planning on switching to WM 6.5 yet so i'm not familiar with the start menu refreshing issues that might plague it.

Last edited:

cruiserrr

Mar 5, 2008
Hi, Thanks for your replies. I correct one of my previous post, I see that PIM Backup place in storage card is also launched but must be placed in XDA_UC. It will be easy for anybody to mod to the actual sd folder where PIM Backup es installed.

cruiserrr

Mar 5, 2008
Hi, after a lot of reading and trials...I ask for some help here:

1) I want to use runcc to run a mortscript. No success so far.
2) I want to leave xda_uc for user customization

How can I do this? I installed xda_uc and touch nothing (I still do not know how to configure the 3 methods).

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
Hi, Thanks for your replies. I correct one of my previous post, I see that PIM Backup place in storage card is also launched but must be placed in XDA_UC. It will be easy for anybody to mod to the actual sd folder where PIM Backup es installed.

1. It's easier taking into account for "Variable Storage Card Name\XDA_UC"
Then "Variable Storage Card Name\Variable Program Files Name\exefilename.exe"
So i stook with the dump everything into one folder method.
But it checks for a cooked in version first in case the cook already takes PimBackup into account.

2. Just having runcc.exe in your rom will force XDA_UC to only install user Cust and skip cabs in rom and run at second boot.

3. You can try the mymortscript.exe mymortscript.mscr method to call the mymortscript.mscr in RunCC.exe LUA script.
I don't have everything here but i believe that cook.mscr is always called for by XDA_UC on the first boot. So you probably won't need to call an extra script.

cruiserrr

Mar 5, 2008
3. You can try the mymortscript.exe mymortscript.mscr method to call the mymortscript.mscr in RunCC.exe LUA script.
You mean, place a script calle mymortscript.mscr and a copy of mortscript.exe renamed as mymortscript.exe, and adding a few lines to the lua script as if I was adding a new config file? I have not found anything about runcc syntax... I will try...

The point is I want to create icons with mscr to avoid lnk files in windows folder but preventing the user having access to the ppc in the meanwhile, so runcc does the job here since if the user tries to stop it, it will reboot and start from scratch again. Why? You know, some people say the first impression is what matters...

By the way, I have a suggestion regarding autoshortcuts: they could check if the exe file exists before creating the icon. At least when I tried with a dummy name the icon was created.

Edit: in the meanwhile, following your tip, I found a quick and dirty solution: VIPmscrEXE: I place in windows myfile.mscr and vipmscrexe.exe renamed as myfile.exe, and add myfile.exe to the config_operator, as the second line in the file, even before the tsk,etc. I use RunCC with no prompt for the pin so it runs and resets, when it reboots everything is there, it asks for the pin and set-up the network and then xda_uc popus up, all with only one reset and no user interaction before this reset !!!! Thanks for your tool and your support.

Next step: add the png's to a zip and use this script to decompress, set only.read attributes for the png I use and delete the ones I do not use.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [UC]XDA_UC V2.RC1, Automated & Silent User & Cook, Configuration Service[14/05/10]

Another (The?) new way to implement User Customization and Cooking.

This Thread is meant for Rom Cooks.
    Users should take a look at the User To User Tips, Tricks ideas and issues thread.

What the XDA UC service does, is silently install (or not so silently if needed by User), .cab, .xdas, .xml, .reg, .mscr, copy over user manila files, install files from SDconfig.txt if wanted and then a few extra's for the freaks like copying folders or creating shortcuts from specific registries. This happens either at first or second boot depending on the existence of either RunCC.exe or Autorun.exe in rom.

It's all Mortcsript so it's very easy to get a grasp of it and change the behaviour and or Chip in adjustments/improvements.
    But no knowledge of mortscript is needed to implement
    It Uses DotFred's Taskmanager to parse and implement the .reg and .xml files. But it can also be used to disable or enable services or register DLL files.

More Information about the XDA Type Files at:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...ename=XDA_file

My Shout out for this Two Year Long Evolving Collaborating Endeavour go to:
    Bengalih (that has a very similar UC variant called Sashimi and helped with some of the early scripts I was trying to do with mort while cooking, I wish I could have collaborated more with him, it would have saved time re-inventing the wheel), RoryB for bouncing back ideas, supplying new scripts and perfecting older ones, serfer222 For making the script compacter, jmckeejr, Ameet & the whole Digital XDA SPC Cooking Crew, bbobeckyj, CLHatch, Scinor, Mort, Sleuth255, McCune, DotFred, MrVanx, danny_and_2, Cmonex, utak3r, Laurentius26, Radimus, and the Whole Original SPC Crew for accepting my obsessions.
    For Knowingly helping me get the information, unknowingly helping me get the information or motivated me in keep going on in my Quest resulting in this.

If I Forgot you, Forgive me.
    If you feel that certain information that has been used originated by you give me a holler and I will credit you if this is so.

Before you consider buying me a beer. Please consider Donating to XDA to help out with the maintenance of the forum and get cool stars next to your Nickname showing your appreciation. Then there are always the people that without their apps this wouldn't have been possible at all that you can consider showing some love. Mort, DotFred & Sleuth255 All of whom made Apps Seemingly simple But oh so useful for the whole XDA and PocketPC community.

Download and Info in next Post
    I tried removing the extra _skip

And i get:

attachment.php

As i said i'm not familiar with the New Ervius Visual kitchen and have no problem using BuildOS.

Working now, after manually removing the Original WM Taskmanager from the SYS packages. (Which was a module as opposed to DotFred's Taskmanager)

So the next test was turning Dot Fred's Taskmanager into a module and putting back the WM Tasmkanager as a module to.

Now it goes through without the error and replaces the WM Taskmgr.exe correctly.

I learned something new today thanks.

I'l be uploading the final package for Visual Kitchen later on after actually checking the DotFred Taskmanager performance as a module.
    Hi Noonski,

I need to keep dotFred Task Manager named as follows:

FS_TaskMgr.exe

... so as to not conflict with other apps I need running. Is this going to be an issue?

If so, which file(s) do I need to change to have it recognize "FS_TaskMgr.exe"

Cheers,

Well the thing is that the scripts are also aligned to parse the XML files to Taskmgr.exe

So the XDAUC.mscr should be modified to:

RunWait("\Windows\TaskMgr.exe", REGfile & " /silent")

&

RunWait("\Windows\TaskMgr.exe", "/provxml " & XMLfile)

I chose to keep using that taskmanager name scheme as QuickMenu also calls for it.

So your hitting a good point here.

I was thrilled when i could finally get rid of the Windows Taskmanager when MS separated it from Storage Space Control panel Applet. And replace it by default with this powerhouse.

(and i could always use TaskManagerLite.exe for the same experience as the WM taskmanager)

And never run into a situation where it was an issue.

So if it is important to specific Setup's it's good to look into.

I don't want to go force everyone to replace the WM taskmanager, so i can still go back, but i would also need to adjust the .xda installation script standards to this format.
    What's the proper way to make XDA UC NOT run at 1st boot?

What I've done is to make a shortcut to XDAUC.mscr. I placed that .lnk in my Start Menu\System Tools folder. The problem I'm having is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work. It seems to be about 50/50. Whenever it doesn't work, even if I go to \Windows and try to run the XDAUC.mscr directly, nothing happens.

Which brings me back to thinking that I must not be going about this in the right way. Can someone tell me how I can make a .lnk to XDAUC in my start menu that will always work??

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
    How can i use this?
    Yes, it is a very simple question but i never find any documentation for this.

please tell me whitch files should i cook in the ROM.
    And, whitch or what to put on the SDCARD?

Really, i got lost because i'm new to this.

There are no separate files...you can just put everything in SD card, under XDA_UC folder, and run it from there. You dont really have to cook them in.