wi-fi tether issues

Search This thread

cardsfan01

Mar 11, 2010
Anyone having issues using any wi-fi tether apps from your phone with this tablet? I get "connecting" and "obtaining ip address" when trying to tether with my nexus s 4g (rooted) but i can't get them to work. The same tether apps from my phone work for my laptop but not this tablet? I can use the bluetooth tether with these same apps but the wi-fi tether doesnt' connect. I guess my questions are:

1. anyone else having this issue
2. if so, is connecting bluetooth from the tether app slower than connecting using the 'wi-fi' option

THanks in advance for this!

fookxixi

Sep 3, 2010
San Jose
Anyone having issues using any wi-fi tether apps from your phone with this tablet? I get "connecting" and "obtaining ip address" when trying to tether with my nexus s 4g (rooted) but i can't get them to work. The same tether apps from my phone work for my laptop but not this tablet? I can use the bluetooth tether with these same apps but the wi-fi tether doesnt' connect. I guess my questions are:

2. if so, is connecting bluetooth from the tether app slower than connecting using the 'wi-fi' option

Go check your nexus s 4g's tethering mode. Some phones only work in the ad-hoc mode instead of the infrastructure mode, and most of the tablets don't support ad-hoc mode. PC normally supports both modes.

Reactions: cardsfan01

starbarry32

Sep 22, 2008
Seattle
I am having issues. I create a hotspot using my s3 but my nex7 can't connect with a password or not. I got the Bluetooth tether to work instead. Using the FoxFi app and I'm not rooted for either devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

rejdmast

Jun 21, 2010
Try changing the wifi hotspot name in Foxfi. I could never get Foxfi to work with my S3 and Windows 7 laptop using a password. Without a password it worked fine.

I ended up getting SVTP Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether for my S3 and now I can connect with a password to my laptop.

Will be getting the Nexus 7 tomorrow so I'll check out how the SVTP works with that.

mjrossman17

Jul 23, 2012
Nexus 7 doesnt see my phone's wifi broadcast

Using a rooted HTC Rezound to offer up the 4G...my iPads find the broadcast in seconds, laptops as well. Nexus 7 has yet to find it. Tried different channels, different settings, different wifi tether pgms, still nothing. My phone apparently cant seem to connect via bluetooth properly either, tried foxfi/pdanet. I dont care about the iPad having network access, its a paperweight after my nexus arrived, but I would like to be able to use my nexus on the road/at work/etc. Any help would by spectacular...

brianjr1

Jul 23, 2012
I had absolutely no issue using FoxFi off of my droid bionic to my nexus 7. It initiated and connected within seconds.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
This happened on prime for a few firmware versions where ad hoc tethering connections wouldn't work. The solution is here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1438297. It should work for nexus 7 also. Make sure to follow instructions and set permissions correctly. It should work instantly. No reboot required.

Edit: might need some adjusting. Since i just looked and saw nexus 7 only has one wpa supplicant file in /system/bin , a complete swap might do the job. Of course rename and backup the original wpa supplicant file. Set permissions correctly on new file according to op of that thread. Post back of it works or not.

Last edited:

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
Using a rooted HTC Rezound to offer up the 4G...my iPads find the broadcast in seconds, laptops as well. Nexus 7 has yet to find it. Tried different channels, different settings, different wifi tether pgms, still nothing. My phone apparently cant seem to connect via bluetooth properly either, tried foxfi/pdanet. I dont care about the iPad having network access, its a paperweight after my nexus arrived, but I would like to be able to use my nexus on the road/at work/etc. Any help would by spectacular...

The iPad can connect to an ad hoc network, the Nexus 7 can't. Most wifi tether apps are ad hoc so that's why it won't see the network. You need to be able to tether with infrastructure mode to get the N7 to see the wifi network. If there is a hack to make your Rezound's stock hotspot app work, that would be the best way to tether to your N7, because it would be infrastructure.

lyrad12

Nov 19, 2010
using Foxfix here from galaxy s3 to nexus7 without issue, blazing faster than my WiFi connection at home..4g LTE rocks, hope the next nexus smartphone will support LTE speed

midnkight

Jul 11, 2007
have you consider tethering throught Bluetooth? I used that with no issue with my rooted Nexus Galaxy to my Nexus 7.

Just so you know, my wifi tethering work too.

mjrossman17

Jul 23, 2012
have you consider tethering throught Bluetooth? I used that with no issue with my rooted Nexus Galaxy to my Nexus 7.

Just so you know, my wifi tethering work too.

My phone doesnt support the bluetooth PAN...I think I need to follow the other instructions. Im really new to this, so hopefully someone can hold my hand.

sheureka

Aug 20, 2005
I'd be surprised if the N7 didn't recognize adhoc networks. When Asus put out the TF101 it initially didn't recognize adhoc, but the first software upgrade fixed that. As far as I know all of the Asus tablets now support adhoc. Doesn't make sense that the N7 would not have that capability. - sheureka

jaycustom

Aug 1, 2010
Chi-Town
Just got my N7 today at work and luckily I can tether with the stock WiFi hotspot app on my HTC wildfire s. For some reason no one can connect to the WiFi at work so tethering is all I have at lunchtime.

Luda305

May 25, 2011
I'm able to connect to my rooted e4gt using wireless tehter with no problems. N7 is 100% stock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

vincentlodato

May 22, 2012
Your issue is trying to tether with a Verizon phone u have to get sqlite editor and modify a value.. if u search you'll find it easy I had to do it for my RAZR today.. now foxfi is working normally

Link200

Jul 25, 2012
My GNex tethers just fine with the N7. Bluetooth tether sucks however. Connects and stays connected but does not work with anything except the browser.

SnoMan88

Jul 23, 2012
Tucson, AZ
I managed to tether through wi-fi and bluetooth. Try using a CM7 RCA rom, or something off of here if you like. The built in features for 2.3 and up are great for tethering over wi-fi. Just make sure the rom supports it now since Im using CM10 and for right now wi-fi tethering does not work. Best of luck to you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Go check your nexus s 4g's tethering mode. Some phones only work in the ad-hoc mode instead of the infrastructure mode, and most of the tablets don't support ad-hoc mode. PC normally supports both modes.
    I am having issues. I create a hotspot using my s3 but my nex7 can't connect with a password or not. I got the Bluetooth tether to work instead. Using the FoxFi app and I'm not rooted for either devices.

Works fine with my I9000
    Try changing the wifi hotspot name in Foxfi. I could never get Foxfi to work with my S3 and Windows 7 laptop using a password. Without a password it worked fine.

I ended up getting SVTP Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether for my S3 and now I can connect with a password to my laptop.

Will be getting the Nexus 7 tomorrow so I'll check out how the SVTP works with that.
    Have you tried to download the Wi-Fi tether app instead of using the built in tethering? Works great on my Samsung Galaxy S2.

I am tethering fine with Foxfi, however no matter what app I try, I have issues downloading large files through Oron, Depositfiles, etc. Simply won't start the transfer.

Emails, browsing, etc is fine.