[KERNEL][FROYO][OC][08-08-11]PeanutButta Jelly Time - OTB Edition

Search This thread

m6ar2cel6o

Nov 10, 2010
If I remember correctly the color was red and black I think. Or maybe yellow and blacm I will try it later. If I install that cwm will h
I have to re install my kernel and gummycharge?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

Cruiserdude

Jul 13, 2010
No you should be fine if you just flash the cwm package by itself. Of course you'll be flashing the tarball in Odin, NOT a zip in your existing version of cwm.

chiahead52

Jun 12, 2011
Im not sure but if it were me I would reflash the new CWM and then the rooted kernel on the first boot into recovery. I am by no means an expert and not even sure you can just reflash a new CWM over the old one

reaeg

Jan 22, 2009
This kernel makes the Charge a no-compromise phone

Imnuts, I don't normally post but I had to thank you for the kernel. I know you don't believe in OC but I hope you keep up development of this one. My Charge can finally do everything.

Between an aggressive UV and UC to 800, it has battery life like the iphone (at least while using wifi and 3g) and runs 90% of what I ask of it like a champ.

For the other 10%, it used to choke on flash-heavy webpages but now I can just crank it up to 1.2 or 1.4 when it slows down and go back to 800 when I'm done. At 1.4 it feels like the Atrix but with LTE. I love being able to have it all in one phone for once.

reaeg

Jan 22, 2009
FYI

In case this helps anyone, these are the max settings I was able to get stable on mine:

1400MHz; -0 (Got hot fast. During 30min of Stability Test, started at 31C and got up to 40C. I don't know how high it would have gone if I kept the test going.)

1300MHz; -75 (Stayed fairly cool. During Stability Test, started at 31C, got up to 33C quickly then stayed between 32C-34C. Of note, this is at 1300mv which is the max stock voltage imnuts mentioned.)

1200MHz; -25

1000MHz; -75

800MHz; -100

600MHz; -75

400MHz; -125

200MHz; -125

100MHz; -150

To test, I set the max clock speed at each level than ran Stability Test for 30 minutes followed immediately by 2 runs each of Neocore, Nenamark 1&2, Quadrant & Linpack and followed with a short web-browsing session.

I tested for charge death by letting it hibernate repeatedly and calling it from a different phone.

Currently, I leave it under-clocked to 800 most of the time and turn it up to 1300 when I want more speed. I have good battery-life and by moving a slider have excellent performance as long as I want it.

Thanks, imnuts!

Reactions: speci3s

Cruiserdude

Jul 13, 2010
Alright, for reaeg, or others who have done a successful overclock, what programs did you use exactly? I'm running GC 1.75, and have successfully used Voltage Control to get a nice undervolt. During that time, I used NoFrills Cpu Clock to set the min and max values to whatever speed I was testing, to lock it there.

Then when I went to overclock, however, I found that I have to keep the min and the max the same for the cpu to clock to anything over 1ghz with the conservative governor. If I set the min at 100 and max at 1200, both programs will see that, but it will not clock higher than 1ghz, even when benchmarking. If I wanted it at 1200, I had to set the min there as well. I confirmed that my voltages for 1200 were very stable when it was locked there, it just wouldn't clock up on its own.

So I decided to try different governors, but either the performance or interactive governor would lock up the system and force a reboot in the NoFrills utility. So I tried Tegrak, and got similar results. It would accept my settings, but would not clock the cpu higher than 1ghz unless I forced the min to my desired value. I found the performance governor works here, but simply locks the cpu to my max value, regardless of the min value or cpu load, making it rather useless to me. The interactive governor didn't work in Tegrak either, however.

All I want to do is to run a dynamic cpu governor, preferably the stock conservative one, but have the system clock the cpu up to 1.2ghz (or higher) when load requires it. I still want it to idle at 100mhz and clock down when it can. I wouldn't mind going higher than 1.2, but I don't wanna overvolt, and I figure if the Infuse can run 1.2 with the normal governor, we should be able to as well. Is this possible with the right software, and is anyone running their Charge like that? Or do we have to wait for someone to make a custom governor? I'm happy with the stock speed for the most part, but I wouldn't mind a bit more, I just don't want to have to manually clock it up when I want it...

Thanks! :cool:

robstamack

Aug 16, 2010
So, I successfully installed this kernel along with Gummy Charged last night. I have no intentions of overclocking, so what is the procedure to go to the normal kernel

Is it as easy as flashing the non-OC kernel and rebooting, or do I need to do something else?

Manjews

Jun 21, 2010
So, I successfully installed this kernel along with Gummy Charged last night. I have no intentions of overclocking, so what is the procedure to go to the normal kernel

Is it as easy as flashing the non-OC kernel and rebooting, or do I need to do something else?

Boot into cwm then go to advanced and clear your dalvik cache then flash the kernal you want and reboot.

Reactions: robstamack

reaeg

Jan 22, 2009
I found that I have to keep the min and the max the same for the cpu to clock to anything over 1ghz with the conservative governor

I had this problem at first. I wiped voltage settings in CWR, saved my custom settings in Voltage Control as profile & boot settings and then rebooted.

Now, it resets my max freq to 1GHz every time I reboot, which is how imnuts designed it but once I manually set the max freq in Voltage Control it scales correctly. I only use the conservative governor.

Last edited:

badams92

Jun 13, 2011
Could one use this kernel to merely undervolt the CPU? I don't want to overclock because I feel like my battery life is short enough as it is. I think it does fine at stock speeds. I just want to keep it unplugged for longer.

Cruiserdude

Jul 13, 2010
I had this problem at first. I wiped voltage settings in CWR, saved my custom settings in Voltage Control as profile & boot settings and then rebooted.

Now, it resets my max freq to 1GHz every time I reboot, which is how imnuts designed it but once I manually set the max freq in Voltage Control it scales correctly. I only use the conservative governor.

Awesome, thanks that sounds like just what I need to do!

Do you notice much extra drain on your battery vs. stock with it overclocked to 1.2? Stock 1ghz is 1275mv, and 1.2 will run fine there, so I wouldn't expect it'd be much different...

Outsider2011

May 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I need serious help..ok my friend wanted to see how my phone worked oc'd so i dwnloaded this kernel, flashed it, dwnloaded voltage control nd tried managing voltages and the cpu..well i was on 1.2mhz and voltage was at -75 it kept shutting down so i decided to flash to the stock kernel again before doing so i wiped partician, dalvik and voltage settings it rebooted and then i tried opening handcent and all i get is that it shut down unexpectedly so i deleted it, re downloaded and same thing...then i checked my stock message app and it doesnt even open..what is going on? Any1 else have that problem? For info im on gummycharged 1.7.5 and stock pbj kernel..please help me asap..

Edit: nevermind i just did a wipe/factory reset now it works..but still what was that bug about???

Last edited:

reaeg

Jan 22, 2009
Awesome, thanks that sounds like just what I need to do!

Do you notice much extra drain on your battery vs. stock with it overclocked to 1.2? Stock 1ghz is 1275mv, and 1.2 will run fine there, so I wouldn't expect it'd be much different...

Yes, it still draws more power even if it's running at the same voltage.

The formula for power use is c*Frequency*Voltage^2, where c is a constant. So if you increase the frequency by 20% then it'll use 20% more juice. It increases quadratically with increases in voltage.

That said, if you're phone's running faster then it'll get it's work done and drop down to a lower frequency faster most of the time so it balances out part of it.

I haven't done any benchmarks but mine seems to drain a lot faster at 1.3, that's why I leave it at 800 most of the time. That is, until I get that second battery to keep in my wallet :D

reaeg

Jan 22, 2009
I need serious help..ok my friend wanted to see how my phone worked oc'd so i dwnloaded this kernel, flashed it, dwnloaded voltage control nd tried managing voltages and the cpu..well i was on 1.2mhz and voltage was at -75 it kept shutting down so i decided to flash to the stock kernel again before doing so i wiped partician, dalvik and voltage settings it rebooted and then i tried opening handcent and all i get is that it shut down unexpectedly so i deleted it, re downloaded and same thing...then i checked my stock message app and it doesnt even open..what is going on? Any1 else have that problem? For info im on gummycharged 1.7.5 and stock pbj kernel..please help me asap..

Edit: nevermind i just did a wipe/factory reset now it works..but still what was that bug about???

1.2 at -75 shut mine down every time. The best I could manage at 1.2 was -25. After a few voltage related shut downs my apps started getting corrupted and giving me errors like you got. Only a wipe and reinstall fixed it.

After you get your settings worked out and your phone's stable, I'd recommend doing a final wipe & reinstall of everything to make sure nothing's corrupted.

nicowagner

Apr 3, 2010
imnuts, LOVE the kernel you are a genius thank you lol now about those custom boot animations... :) I really want to get one on mine I can't stand the stock one

bcrider83

Oct 11, 2010
Permanent root?

I love the OC kernel and am consistently running at 1.4min&max with no problems what so ever. consistent Quadrant scores of 2000 or above and no lag in anything that I do. Battery life suffers mildly, but more than anything I notice it when I am using the phone frequently throughout the day, if its a day where I ocasionally make a phone call or text it will easily last me the day, if I am playing games I have to charge it by ~4pm.

My question at this point is how can I make this a permanent OC so I don't have to keep going into voltage control and changing it every time I power on my phone?

By the way if you need a tester I am all yours as I already have all the files installed on my computer to get the phone back to factory defaults since I like to tinker a lot with my phones.

Thank you to anyone that can answer this question.
Ben

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For the people that want overclocking, here is your chance. I took my standard voodoo kernel, and put in the stuff needed to overclock it. Thanks to nemesis2all and his OTB kernel from the Fascinate for the code needed to get this to work. Also, use extreme caution when using the higher clock speeds. The stock "max" voltage for the CPU is 1300mv, and 1500MHz and 1600MHz are both at 1500mv, so it's heavily over-volted at the top end. By default, the system will boot to 1000MHz and you need to set the speeds you want in Voltage Control App. I don't personally use this because I think overclocking is useless, so any bug reports need as much information as possible, or they will be dismissed and not looked into at all. If you run into an issue with the system locking up, odds are that you have undervolted to much for a given clock speed. Other than that, you're on your own. Same FAQ applies as the regular PBJ kernel, so look there until I get a chance to post it here as well.

Installation Instructions:
    1. Download zip
    2. Transfer to SDCard
    3. Reboot into recovery, you'll need to have CWM if you don't already
    4. Install zip from SDCard and select the zip you downloaded.
    5. Reboot and enjoy :)

Make logcat an option that can be turned on/off
    -From root shell, run "logcat-enable" to turn logcat on, "logcat-disable" to turn it off
    Make /preinstall partition swap space
    Fix problem with rooting phone on boot
    Fix fix_permissions in recovery
    Update to recovery

Fix mount USB Storage in recovery

Updated CWM binary
    Custom boot animation support

Voodoo Sound V10

Overclocking - Use Voltage Control App to adjust clocks and voltages

Voodoo Sound fixed - Thanks supercurio :)
    Removed OnDemand
    Added FIFO and BFQ IO Schedulers
    Added tun.ko and cifs.ko

Initial release, built from source
    Undervolted
    Voodoo lagfix available - Thanks supercurio
    Updated compiler flags
    Linaro Toolchain for cross-compiling
    Battery hack to allow for non-OEM Batteries - courtesy of SirGatez
    init.d support
    SDCard speed tweak (via init.d script)
    Upstream EXT4 Patches
    VFAT Patch
    TCP and CFS Tweaks to help data/performance
    V(R) IO Scheduler
    Auto-root on boot
    Maybe missing some other stuff, check Github for full changes

TODO (somewhat in order of importance):
    Smooth out boot animation

NOTES:
    If you are experiencing problems, I need detailed info to be able to fix it or help you out. Failure to provide detailed info will mean I'm just going to ignore your problem as user error. Details would be something such as which kernel you are flashing (filename) and steps to reproduce the issue. Also, if you used any other kernels that had the same problem or didn't have the problem.

DISCLAIMER
    By downloading and using the kernels, this signifies that you have read this full post and the FAQ before reporting an issue. You also take all responsibility if your phone breaks or your warranty becomes void (which, if you're flashing this, it already is). I offer no guarantees as to anything working, though I try not to release broken stuff, it happens sometimes.
    Despite the different date, this is the same update that the non-OC kernel got. It should help make the phone at least feel faster for users, doesn't really improve performance from a benchmark standpoint. There are several changes in this update. Notably, you can now enable/disable logcat and I've added swap support and swap space to help make up for the lack of usable RAM.

Here are instructions for logcat. From a root shell (or adb) run "logcat-enable" to turn logcat on, or "logcat-disable" to turn it off. By default, logcat will be on when your phone boots until you run logcat-disable. You can enable logcat while the phone is running and it was previously disabled. However, to disable logcat if it is already running, you have to run logcat-disable and then restart your phone.

For the change with swap space, it is automatic, and not something that is user configurable, and likely won't ever be user configurable. We have several partitions on our phone, and one of them is /preinstall, which is basically ~410MB of unused space that is more or less useless. Since it isn't being used, I took this space and turned it into a swap partition to give us some virtual memory. I spent the last 4-5 days with this configuration to make sure that it didn't slow down over time, as I saw several mentions of swap causing problems on android phones over time. I haven't noticed that in my usage. This is better than other methods of introducing swap space because it is on internal memory, which is faster than putting it on the SDCard (significantly for most users), and doesn't take up storage space from /data which is the other place I've seen it put.

Using this kernel, I have noticed that using the camera to take pictures doesn't really have nearly the delay/lag between photos that it did before. I don't know if this is due to the swap space, logcat being off, or a combination of the two. Also, the phone doesn't start slowing down or getting jumpy as you open/use more applications. I also haven't had ADW get closed and pushed out of memory since doing this. I have noticed stutters in things (I tested with Angry Birds) but they were less frequent than before the changes, and didn't cause as many issues for usability as the same lag/stutter from before the change.

The minor changes were an update to the recovery binary for CWM, and the fix_permissions script should not be fixed so it works. If anyone has any problems, feel free to list them in the appropriate thread. Please keep kernel issues here, and any problems in recovery in the recovery thread. I won't post a new Odin CWM file, just flash this or my other kernel and it will update recovery for you.
    EDIT: Decided to download the "Call of Android" bootanimation.zip. Got it to work on boot up... But still has stock audio... Weird.

The system will still play the stock boot sound, and I'm unsure how you can change this without deleting/replacing the stock sound. If you don't want the sound, delete the file /system/etc/PowerOn.wav and replace that with your new sound if you want a different boot sound.
    If using conservative and can't go above 1000mhz go read my post above a lil ways back

Was having the same problem... Do this... (BTW I am set to conservative profile)

Go to voltages tab and uncheck 1000mhz.

ONLY check the highest level you want above 1000 mhz. (I have ONLY 1400 mhz selected)

Then you can choose any othere voltage/frequency under 1000 mhz click "apply" and it will work.

For instance I have 200/400/900/1400 mhz all checked. Now my processor goes to 200/400 when not in use and up to 900/1400 when its being used.

Also, make sure you ONLY have 200/400/900/1400 checked, then hit "apply". You may want to play w/ it for the high end frequency, like 1200 or 1300 to test for stability before you check "set on boot". Also, I've found that it is in NO way stable if I have profiles enabled.

Now that I've done this, I've gotten 22 hrs w/ moderate useage and 20% battery left on GummyCharged 1.9.1 FE. Hope this helps you guys.
    2k+ on quadrant @ 1.4ghz... Niiiiice
    Thanks imnuts