Give me a good reason to put the new SIM card in

Search This thread

Lucas155

Dec 5, 2010
Is there any reason to put the new SIM card that came with my phone in? I put in the same one that I've been using for years (Dash->G1->G2->SGS2) and it works fine. 4G shows at the top of the screen. I haven't tried a speed test yet, but I'd bet I get 4G speeds the same way I did on my G2.

So, what good reason is there?

Adj.

Jan 7, 2011
Boise
Right now, there is no reason. When the wifi calling becomes available it will require the new Sim.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

BiGMERF

Apr 19, 2010
Orlando
do you have some sort of sentimental connection to that sim? why not just use the new one to make sure yoour up to date?

OuncE718

Feb 27, 2010
DC by way of BK
Where did you guys find the new sim card? Is it in the plastic wrapper with the manual/user guide? I don't see it in the box and I haven't opened up the plastic wrapping the manual/user guide is wrapped in. Fyi I did buy my phone from a T-Mobile.

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010
Is there any reason to put the new SIM card that came with my phone in? I put in the same one that I've been using for years (Dash->G1->G2->SGS2) and it works fine. 4G shows at the top of the screen. I haven't tried a speed test yet, but I'd bet I get 4G speeds the same way I did on my G2.

I replaced my five yr old sim card with it because my old one seemingly caused some bad 3g data issues. I found this out by swapping sim cards with a friend who just signed with T-Mobile and an SGS2. I replaced my old one with the one that came with the SGS2 and now I'm not only seeing improved 3g speeds but also better call reception.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

mikea3000

Jul 17, 2010
Quick question, my sim is about 3 months old. Will it work with wifi calling when it is released or is the SIM in the box even more "updated" than a 3 month old sim?

dbiggss

Apr 15, 2007
Quick question, my sim is about 3 months old. Will it work with wifi calling when it is released or is the SIM in the box even more "updated" than a 3 month old sim?

No, the GS2 and Amaze 4G are the first phones to shop with the new sim cards.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Adam7986

May 1, 2011
Dallas
Are you sure about this? where Did you get this information? sounds a bit unrealistic that ota. Uupdates are tied to the sim in the box.

They aren't. They are tied to IMEI's. Two things you really need it for; 1. If you want to use WiFi calling after the maintenance update in a couple weeks, you will absolutely have to have this SIM card. No questions. It will not work. 2. After time, the older SIM cards will fail. This could lead to data access, call drop, sms sending/receiving and signal issues. If you have one now to activate, saves you a call and a trip to the local store for a replacement.

mbernusg

Mar 9, 2010
NJ
In the tmobile system we have 2 classifications of Sims. 2g (your dash) and 3g (hspa+).. make your conclusions

Sent from my SGH-T989

Reactions: Natureboy72

Monk4Life

Aug 24, 2007
In the Matrix

Actually the new Sim is a completely new revision designed for the high speed 4g network. It also has the gold contacts in a different design which is part of it look at old and new Sims if you don't believe me. I forgot the name of the new Sim but its what was taught and explained for tmobile techs (tier 2 and up support). Also most stores do not have this Sim revision in yet so use the one supplied in your box. 90% of most tmobile employees have no idea about the new Sim and only guess when asked.

Last edited:

mbernusg

Mar 9, 2010
NJ
that 90% is a little exxagerrated.. we have trainings on the subject
Actually the new Sim is a completely new revision designed for the high speed 4g network. It also has the gold contacts in a different design which is part of it look at old and new Sims if you don't believe me. I forgot the name of the new Sim but its what was taught and explained for tmobile techs (tier 2 support). Also most stores do not have this Sim revision in yet so use the one supplied in your box. 90% of most tmobile employees have no idea about the new Sim and only guess when asked.

Sent from my SGH-T989

mbernusg

Mar 9, 2010
NJ
How do you come to that conclusion.. the size and shape of the gold has changed multiple times over the last few years so your point is invalid.. TECHNICALLY the only difference with new Sims for our device and amaze is for the new WIFI calling network. As of Nov 12 wifi calling will not work on our phones with older sim cards

Sent from my SGH-T989

Monk4Life

Aug 24, 2007
In the Matrix
Yes but those were different revisions and also had a different contact design. Please I am not arguing with you but I am correct on this matter.

Monk4Life

Aug 24, 2007
In the Matrix
How do you come to that conclusion.. the size and shape of the gold has changed multiple times over the last few years so your point is invalid.. TECHNICALLY the only difference with new Sims for our device and amaze is for the new WIFI calling network. As of Nov 12 wifi calling will not work on our phones with older sim cards

Sent from my SGH-T989

I don't know what idiot told you that is all it was designed for and I doubt that was sent from us at corporate. What's your name T-Mobile associate? You can pm me and I will look it up tommorrow to show you what you should have learned correctly. Also per tmobile policy which you signed when hired you need to remove the tmobile associate title on your xda account credentials if you are a tmobile employee.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts