HTC EVO 4G LTE News-Videos/Pics [Official Thread]

Search This thread

Cordy

Feb 2, 2008
The AT&T version has been rooted!!!!! However AT&T says they will not be providing a tool to unlock the bootloader. So as it stands AT&T is the culprit who changed the rules in the middle of the game.

http://phandroid.com/2012/05/09/atts-htc-one-x-has-been-rooted-bootloader-remains-locked/
Well that bodes well for us. I'm pretty sure we are getting the official HTC Unlock tool anyways since every other Sprint HTC phone can be unlocked. However for those who don't care about flashing custom roms or voiding their warranties and just want to run root apps this is ideal. Since the EVO 4G LTE is essentially a cdma version of the AT&T One X or International One XL I'm sure the root can and will be adapted for it if it doesn't already work as is on it. Either way we'll get root.

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Well that bodes well for us. I'm pretty sure we are getting the official HTC Unlock tool anyways since every other Sprint HTC phone can be unlocked. However for those who don't care about flashing custom roms or voiding their warranties and just want to run root apps this is ideal. Since the EVO 4G LTE is essentially a cdma version of the AT&T One X or International One XL I'm sure the root can and will be adapted for it if it doesn't already work as is on it. Either way we'll get root.

I feel as though I have read that S-off voids warranties, but I am unsure about this rooting method. Do you have any insight on how this would work? I read in the One X thread that the "tampered" flag appears, but I'm not sure if that is reversible or not. Any thoughts?

Cordy

Feb 2, 2008
I feel as though I have read that S-off voids warranties, but I am unsure about this rooting method. Do you have any insight on how this would work? I read in the One X thread that the "tampered" flag appears, but I'm not sure if that is reversible or not. Any thoughts?
Correct, I alluded to that in my statement you quoted. Unlocking the bootloader with the HTC Unlock tool voids your warranty. The AT&T One X doesn't have access to that tool so utilizing that root method wouldn't officially void your warranty. However I read through the thread just to make sure before I responded, there was one user who stated the hboot showed a flag for being tampered. You will have to wait for the devs of the exploit or more users to chime in on that one. Typically though, using a non official root method doesn't officially void your warranty. I personally can't recall an hboot on a phone I've used that raised a flag like that, so whether that is something new HTC implimented, or at least implimented for AT&T's sake remains to be seen.

And after a bit of continued reading yes apparantly that root method does leave a flag on your phone that states it's been tampered.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

btw they changed the wording on the pre-order page once again lol. This time it states recieved in 1-3 days from May 18th. lol I'm sure we'll actually start to get them by the 18th since that's a friday and from history they are usually good about that. Plus I can only imagine the amount of people that would complain if they had to wait until the following monday before they got their phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: PsiPhiDan

Vinchenzop

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 20, 2010
Hermitage, PA
btw they changed the wording on the pre-order page once again lol. This time it states recieved in 1-3 days from May 18th. lol I'm sure we'll actually start to get them by the 18th since that's a friday and from history they are usually good about that. Plus I can only imagine the amount of people that would complain if they had to wait until the following monday before they got their phone.

Imagine the uproar, if they had the phone in store in the 18th, but preordered phones weren't arriving until Monday (21st)...I'd expect preordered phones by next Wednesday or Thursday

Reactions: Cordy

taholt

Sep 28, 2010
I pre-ordered through sprint and called today to expedite order processing. The lady told me they are setting expectations that the phone will arrive the day before release or same day. Let's hope for earlier :D

Cordy

Feb 2, 2008
One more time for good measure.

Thanks for pre-ordering. You are one step closer to getting your phone. Keep an eye out for a shipping email with your tracking information. We will do our best to get it to you before others get a glimpse on Friday, May 18.

Lol well at least this falls in line with my previous post and suggestion that we'll be getting the phone before everyone else on the 18th.

guih

Jan 5, 2011
It really would make sprint look bad if they're preorders don't arrive before or on the 18. I'm sure they're smarter than that, especially when they're so focused on "building trust with they're customers" according to Hesse at CES

Root: Android unlimited

mrrogers1

Jun 30, 2007
NEEEEBRASKA
Why do you think you'll lose that plan? You aren't changing anything with your plan, just upgrading your device. They don't force you to change anything when you order online or on the phone from what I just did or have experienced with them the last time I ordered from them.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

No, it's for upgrades as well... it says pretty plainly on the page "Select your upgrade type" and then lists the Individual/Family Main/Family Other lines options. I just did it and it requires you to put the number that the device is going to be activated on in as part of the verification process.

ETA: SOOOOOO.... I don't think its going to be a big deal but I just noticed, after being completely baffled as to why they had my city/state/zip prepopulated with the wrong information, what could be an issue. The link to the $119 seems to be a "regional" deal for "Spring, TX 77379" area. After I finished my order, I went back and noticed that info at the top of the page, changed the zip to my correct zip and it says the $119 is not offered in my area. Now, why exactly an online vendor has regional sales BUT that appears to be the case. Hoping that tomorrow once the Sprint approval goes through, I can just call or email and get my address updated and all will be fine.

WORST CASE: I get the phone for $149 (still saving $78)
BEST CASE: I get the phone for $119 (saving $108)

EITHER WAY: I'm eatin cake :D:D:D

Just wanted to check back in and confirm that I did call and update the address for shipping and everything is right on track, price is set at $119.

Now just hoping we do get ours before the 18th but if not, so what, this was a great deal.

Sirchuk

Jul 12, 2009
I really hope it shows up by the 17th or earlier. I'm leaving town for a week on the 17th, and while I'm sure I can persuade the wife to wait a few hours, we aren't waiting until Friday to leave.

I ordered it right when it the clock ticked down, so hopefully I'm in the first batch to go out!

EmmaHAARP

Nov 21, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Okay. I just finished chatting with a Wirefly rep about the 119.99 pre-order upgrade.

Quoting:

"Sahil : You will be charged $119.99 for this order.
Emmanuel Morales: Okay
Sahil : Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Emmanuel Morales: Will Sprint handle activation fees and other fees they tend to charge? sorry for the many questions
Sahil : No it's absolutely fine.
Sahil : Let me check that for you.
Emmanuel Morales: Thank you
Sahil : You're welcome.
Sahil : Sprint will charge Access fee of $ 69.99+activation fee of $36.00.
Emmanuel Morales: Access fee?
Sahil : These amount will be charged along with your first month bill
Sahil : Access fee is the cost for the rate plan that you have selected on this order.
Emmanuel Morales: I dont quite understand that access fee.
Emmanuel Morales: ok
Emmanuel Morales: That fee will still apply if I am currently using that plan and I just want the upgrade?
Sahil : Yes, as this is the monthly rental that you have to pay.
Emmanuel Morales: Okay... Well it's still cheaper than upgrading via Sprint. They were going to charge me $268 (everything included)"

So that means, upgrading via Wirefly will cost 225.98 (if you used the $119.99 link). It is still cheaper than Sprint, but not THAT cheap like I expected =(

dylan6879

Feb 8, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Okay. I just finished chatting with a Wirefly rep about the 119.99 pre-order upgrade.

Quoting:

"Sahil : You will be charged $119.99 for this order.
Emmanuel Morales: Okay
Sahil : Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Emmanuel Morales: Will Sprint handle activation fees and other fees they tend to charge? sorry for the many questions
Sahil : No it's absolutely fine.
Sahil : Let me check that for you.
Emmanuel Morales: Thank you
Sahil : You're welcome.
Sahil : Sprint will charge Access fee of $ 69.99+activation fee of $36.00.
Emmanuel Morales: Access fee?
Sahil : These amount will be charged along with your first month bill
Sahil : Access fee is the cost for the rate plan that you have selected on this order.
Emmanuel Morales: I dont quite understand that access fee.
Emmanuel Morales: ok
Emmanuel Morales: That fee will still apply if I am currently using that plan and I just want the upgrade?
Sahil : Yes, as this is the monthly rental that you have to pay.
Emmanuel Morales: Okay... Well it's still cheaper than upgrading via Sprint. They were going to charge me $268 (everything included)"

So that means, upgrading via Wirefly will cost 225.98 (if you used the $119.99 link). It is still cheaper than Sprint, but not THAT cheap like I expected =(

Jeez that doesn't make much sense I would call sprint on that access fee.. sounds like bs

I preordered from Sprint and the total came to 236 why did they tell u 268?

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
The access fee is just your first bill guya 69.99 is the everything data plan lol
My guess is it is someone who doesn't speak English well and instead of saying plan or whatever they are saying access fee as ot gives you access to the network.

Reactions: EmmaHAARP

EmmaHAARP

Nov 21, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Jeez that doesn't make much sense I would call sprint on that access fee.. sounds like bs

I preordered from Sprint and the total came to 236 why did they tell u 268?

Well they charged $12 for shipping to PR (Puerto Rico)+activation fee+a next month bill charge.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

The access fee is just your first bill guya 69.99 is the everything data plan lol
My guess is it is someone who doesn't speak English well and instead of saying plan or whatever they are saying access fee as ot gives you access to the network.

So this means its just 119.99+36= 155.99 is all I am going to finish up paying? SWEET! Well, that rep needs a better understanding of the network plan charges. Glad that's cleared up. thanks!

swaze

Nov 11, 2009
Review units are already in the wild. Phil @ android central already has his hands on a review unit.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Reactions: ckoadiyn

dylan6879

Feb 8, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
been trying to find out a lil more about the specs and found this
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/P1090266.jpg
wonder what it means by bluetooth 3.0(4.0 available at launch)??
if anyone can explain that haha bt isnt to important to me but it would be nice if it was 4.0

the other spec im wondering about is if the camera is an f2.0 no one actually says it is or isnt and i only began to wonder after seeing the verizon butchered one s haha since its an f2.2 in that one. id like to believe its the f2.0 but u never now so anyone that has some insight could fill me in :D

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
if anyone can explain that haha bt isnt to important to me but it would be nice if it was 4.0

the other spec im wondering about is if the camera is an f2.0 no one actually says it is or isnt and i only began to wonder after seeing the verizon butchered one s haha since its an f2.2 in that one. id like to believe its the f2.0 but u never now so anyone that has some insight could fill me in :D

Verizon doesn't have a OneS though....if your talkin the Inc4G LTE then you can't really compare it to the OneS as its not really built off that series, esp with the display being a QHD display...

Lense should be f/2.0 though on the EVOLTE...will be absolutely shocked if thats not the case somehow

lpjzfan2005

Feb 14, 2011
Mo City

It's a 2.0
Also band 2 for lte???? Isn't that 800mhz??!!!

dylan6879

Feb 8, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Verizon doesn't have a OneS though....if your talkin the Inc4G LTE then you can't really compare it to the OneS as its not really built off that series, esp with the display being a QHD display...

Lense should be f/2.0 though on the EVOLTE...will be absolutely shocked if thats not the case somehow

yea i no its not really but it seems like a one s variant with some specs lowered. i feel the same way im assuming it is but just kind of odd that on every site there is no mention of it..

It's a 2.0
Also band 2 for lte???? Isn't that 800mhz??!!!

yes it is i believe they have plans for it later on :D once they free up that band

Top Liked Posts