[Discussion]Dead pixels, dust under screen..

Search This thread

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
www.dinosaurstakefrance.com
where's the quality control, Asus? I picked mine up today... had a big old dead black pixel right in the middle of the screen... being as anal as I am about small things, I returned it.. got another... dust under the screen! I notice this one damn piece but I can't tell if it's dust or yet another bad dead pixel. kind of ridiculous but I'm not going to keep swapping these out. I'll live with it.. but still. whatever happened to quality control!? all new devices have such a higher rate of getting dead pixels or screen defects, it's ridiculous.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jporter396

Oct 29, 2012
where's the quality control, Asus? I picked mine up today... had a big old dead black pixel right in the middle of the screen... being as anal as I am about small things, I returned it.. got another... dust under the screen! I notice this one damn piece but I can't tell if it's dust or yet another bad dead pixel. kind of ridiculous but I'm not going to keep swapping these out. I'll live with it.. but still. whatever happened to quality control!? all new devices have such a higher rate of getting dead pixels or screen defects, it's ridiculous.

first one i got today had dust under it and i returned it and now all is well..... beside i bricked mine, hahahhah

Reactions: IamPro

Lancez

Aug 25, 2008
SoCal
Sorry to hear that. But if I were you I'd exchange the 2nd one as well or just get a refund in full.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thedeadletters

Dec 7, 2008
The Bastion
First one had a stuck green pixel that was immediately noticeable on the "Google" boot screen. The replacement has a thin line of light bleeding along the top. It's not totally awful, but I'm wondering if other units share it. I researched it a bit and the bleeding on mine isn't as bad as it could be.

abejoker

Jan 26, 2012
Whining about 2 bad units. 10 of us got our tablets and perfect screen, 9 with 0 light bleeding. Mine has a small line on the left side which is barely noticeable.

If you get bad manufacturer units, use the warranty. Is there for a reason.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Hmm..for once I got a perfect device. I got used to backlight bleed. You should see my zenbook prime...that's a mess.

UWRF

Oct 30, 2011
River Falls, WI
Had to exchange one at Best Buy today. (The floor manager walked back to the back where they were still in the process of emptying the truck to get me a new one!) There was a line about 50 pixels long about a half inch above the navigation bar that looked okay until i started swiping through the play store. The pixels seemed to be mirroring certain colors, it was strange. Anyways the exchange was effortless and my new unit is flawless!

TL;DR... Very glad I decided to go with Best Buy for my purchase.

flyinion

Aug 31, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I haven't noticed anything odd so far with mine. No pixel issues or backlight bleeding that I can tell. Only thing going on is the JSS15J update issue. Mine came from a Best Buy that seems to have had it in the stockroom for at least a day. The closest one was still unloading their truck and didn't know if/when they would be there.

Vanhoud

Dec 18, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I noticed three spots on my screen that looked like dust or deal pixels under the screen. Hard to tell which, because of you can notice the black spec then it's a lot more then a single pixel that's dead due to the high dpi. I exchanged mine and so far I haven't noticed it again

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: jayochs

cdmoore74

Aug 5, 2008
round lake
No issues with mine. I even did a pixel test. But yes; dead pixels and dust always suck. I've swapped a droid x, one Note 2, two HTC rezounds, a iPad 2 and 3 all for dead pixels or lint. Almost forgot about the Nook HD plus.
The take away is that no company is immune to this issue. The worst out of the bunch was the HTC rezound. The dead pixels would cluster in groups. Even the 3rd phone had a dead pixel but I lived with it because I got it at a good cost.

Reactions: jayochs

DaleKaleD

Nov 6, 2010
I didn't have any dead pixels, but I did have a lot of apparently random dead spots across the screen, so that I was unable to trace a solid line without it spacing out.
I would have icons I was dragging just drop, or random presses happen. For the first bit, as I was tinkering at work, I was unsure if it was overly responsive, but testing when î got home diagnosed it.
It's wiped and ready to exchange as soon as the Best Buy opens today, and them in get to go into work on the weekend so fingers crossed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

sus4ntoh

Aug 13, 2012
Here we go again. I really hope Asus is doing a better job this time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sterlic

Aug 23, 2010
Rats. After I had to RMA my original N7 3 times due to screen lift and a broken backlight I thought I was lucky when I received my new N7 and didn't notice any imperfections. Then I saw some dust or dead pixels or something near the bottom http://i.imgur.com/gDJxmgz.jpg. Oh well, at least Amazon is sending me a new one and I have until the end of August to send back my current one for free.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
My bezel had a ton if scratches on it out of the box. There is no quality control at Asus and Google needs to ditch them. It makes google look bad
a6ygynym.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
www.dinosaurstakefrance.com
yeah I'm hardly noticing the dust so idc, I'm not going to return it to possibly get one with more dead pixels or other issues. no electronics are perfect in today's age.. nobody has good quality control because it's just mass produced stuff.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not gonna exchange because the next one could be worse. I'm not dealing with this again lol

Communist Chinese Quality Control has never existed ..... Why is anyone surprised that the Bar has once again been lowered and Quality Control is the user replacing his unit 3 or 4 times until he gets one that works AS ADVERTISED ...

Why spend money on Quality Control when the Suckers ... er I mean Consumers will do it for you for free?

I don't blame the Chinese, I blame the Suckers who think this shoddy workmanship and QC is acceptable behavior and accuse anyone that expects to get EXACTLY what was advertised to them as Trolls .... Expecting your device to WORK AS ADVERTISED is now considered trolling???

Go figure ....

I worked in the R&D department of a industrial controls manufacturer back in the mid-90's who was making touchscreen process controllers and I would have been embarrassed (not to mention fired on the spoit) to put out such poor quality equipment. NASA, the US Military or Ford (To mention a few of our customers) would have sued our pants off if our QC was as shoddy as 90% of what I see coming from China these days .... They are dishonest, thieves and they exploit their Workers even worse than the Capitalists 100 years ago ....

Hopefully Google bringing Motorola Mobility's smartphone line back to America will change things around or at least stop the continued lowering of the Quality Bar we've seen the last 10-15 years .... Used to be even Consumer devices and their components had a minimum average lifespan of 20 years, now it's closer to 2-3 years and we are pitching 100-500 dollar devices into the landfill because 50 cents worth of capacitors failed

That kind of nonsense is simply economically unsustainable and part of the reason for the Economic Collapse of 2008 and the failure to recover from it .... An Economy built on Junk is going to be a Junk Economy
    You're just probably the only one who cares enough to want a perfect product.

That wasn't meant with any hostility, I'm just saying that most people don't even take the time to make sure their device is perfect.

No... Just no... How can you post saying he's the only one that cares in a now 26 page thread about people complaining about dead pixels?
    "You're the only one that cares" saying it like he has OCD or something.
    No, he just bought a new product and was not expecting a screen with defects.

Let's see: What is the main feature of a tablet? ITS SCREEN.

Do you want to pay full price for a device with a defective screen?

Really weird to hear apologists for Asus' ****ty QC.
    Knock it Off Please

Ok, I've been called in to put an end to argumentative behaviour.

It's almost 12 midnight, but yet I come here to decide .... WHAT? What started as a user saying they are satisfied with no bleed or bad pixels.

Yet, some other, seems to think they are Lying??? WTH....

Come on people, get a life or take matters into your own hands. But no.... people just don't want to believe.

So a Mod has to come in to settle things. And, this Mod ain't happy.

A word of warning;

XDA was founded for developers. The fact we expanded, to allow others to join, is because we allow you to. You are a guest. There is no freedom of speech (contrary to misbelief), and we have rules to follow.

You wanna see the rules, Google XDA rules.. We have 5 million+ users.

So knock it off with calling people liars. You want to do something, then PM me.

I will review all posts tomorrow for possible infractions.

Enough said... carry on.

MD
    yeah I'm hardly noticing the dust so idc, I'm not going to return it to possibly get one with more dead pixels or other issues. no electronics are perfect in today's age.. nobody has good quality control because it's just mass produced stuff.

This is what happens when poorly educated MBA's and CEO's make decisions best left to the much better educated Engineers ....

MBA's almost ruined Apple in the 90's and they are trying their best to do it again now that the Brains are gone

They took Gateway from being "The most compatible computers in the world' to eMachines quality garbage .....And ironically both owned by Acer (Disclosure: I used to work for and was a minor Equity Investor for Gateway when it was still an Iowa based private corporation in the late 80's and early 90's)

Some Beancounter decided it was cheaper to let the Consumer do Quality Control via the Return Process because it could save a few cents (And a good percentage just live with it increasing their Profit even more) and the Consumer Sheep just accept it, so in the end we have no one to blame but ourselves. If you accept crap and keep on buying their products I can guarantee it will never change for what should be obvious reasons

BTW I also worked for an Industrial Controls company (R&D Tech) who held a lot of the patents on touchscreens (Before the Corporate Raiders sold them all off and fired everyone but the head engineers) and the dust in the screen and dead pixels are a related issue and caused by poor quality Clean Rooms in China (Or maybe just that China has become so polluted Clean Rooms are impossible to maintain ....) Cleanliness is even more important in these high pixel density frameless/bezel-less designs which look to have a long ways to go before they reach maturity (Lightbleed is Sooooooooo 1995)
    Has anyone gotten a 32gb that was built in July

>^.^< Sent from meow HTC One which is like catnip to me atm

I have one from June, with slight light bleed at the top as the only problem.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4