[APP] Autowipe - For those with Froyo

Search This thread

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Thank you for contributing, one request. Sdcard wipe too...if someone is smart enough they can restore my phone with a nandroid after it's wiped....if it's a smart thief that is:eek::p

Thanks! A simple SD Card wipe is included in the "Wipe External Memory" option. When I say simple I mean that it's just deleting files, so any computer forensics person could probably retrieve data like they could from any memory.

Last edited:

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Sorry if I'm suspicious about all this but with would you need network access for your app?

Just a general assumption but how else are you to "remote wipe" your phone if it gets lost or stole with out a way to access it?

The internet access is for Google Ads. I thought about an internet-based wiping mechanism like what ziaodix suggested but I don't really have a background in that area and it would be a big effort for me.

steve.garon

Apr 11, 2010
Ottawa, On
Ads... Makes sense! I'll definatly give this a try. Well, no I`m not gonna try since I don`t wanna wipe my phone but will still install it so I'm protected against theft.

Thx a lot for you contribution! Would your code be opensource by any chance?

foszor

May 10, 2010
foszor.com
Can you make a version that just locks the screen? I would really enjoy that much.

I tried the apk that is lock only and it didn't work when my wife text me the passphrase

Last edited:

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Can you make a version that just locks the screen? I would really enjoy that much.

I tried the apk that is lock only and it didn't work when my wife text me the passphrase

I can do that tonight (GMT-4) when I get home from my day job :)

Just a silly question, did you remember to enable the app/administrator? Sometimes I forget to do that when I'm testing.

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Attached for your pleasure is a test version of Autowipe. It is a 1:1 replacement of wiping with locking, it will lock any time it would have wiped. This is only a test version and will not be uploaded to the Market. In the future I will make this another option within the application itself.

antikryst

May 18, 2010
Quezon City
it would be great if the phone would ask for a password when the sim is changed... failure to input the right password 3 times would do a wipe of the phone and the SD card.

i for one change my sim from time to time (to a US sim) so i can buy apps from the market.

some people may change sims and accidentally wipe their phone forgetting that the wipe feature has been enabled.

just a suggestion.

been looking for something like this.

foszor

May 10, 2010
foszor.com
Attached for your pleasure is a test version of Autowipe. It is a 1:1 replacement of wiping with locking, it will lock any time it would have wiped. This is only a test version and will not be uploaded to the Market. In the future I will make this another option within the application itself.

Thanks for the response!

I tried this version as well and when my wife texts me the pass phrase, it still doesn't lock. I have enabled admin, so I'm not sure why its not working :(

Edit:

I tried looking into the log when I receive the SMS message, and I don't see anything regarding your app. Although when I scrolled up I did see something that said "Looking!". Don't know if this helps.

Last edited:

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for the response!

I tried this version as well and when my wife texts me the pass phrase, it still doesn't lock. I have enabled admin, so I'm not sure why its not working :(

Edit:

I tried looking into the log when I receive the SMS message, and I don't see anything regarding your app. Although when I scrolled up I did see something that said "Looking!". Don't know if this helps.

Ok that is strange, let me ask a few questions to try to figure this out.

1. Are you receiving texts to Google Voice or your carrier? GV doesn't currently let other apps know it received messages.
  2. Are you sure the passphrase was set? You must click "Set" and see a message pop up that it was set.
  3. Have you tried using the simplest passphrase possible (no capital letters and no spaces), just as a test?
  4. What device are you using and OS version?

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
i´d have an idea for remote wipe over internet without using own server...
one could just set up a twitter account extra for this feature and enter the url and login information in the preferences of autowipe which on bootup checks the twitter account for a special command message.

when your phone gets stolen its most likely the theif will replace your sim before you eaven realize it was stolen, this way only thing needed is the correct apn settings for the new simcard and your phone gets wiped when its booted. it could also send a message to twitter containing the new phone number and maybe also frequent location info.

the name of the software should be obscureable so the theif eaven wont know its there. autowipe should not perform a full wipe (like from recovery, but just delete userdata of all apps except autowipe.

this way the theif will not realize the phone was wiped and tracked and would use it like it is. so you have best chance to get your phone back. my last phone got stolen out of my car when i forgot it there, i had wavesecure installed on it and set it to lock the phone on sim change. WS sent an sms to my buddy containing the phone number and the phone was locked. the lock message alarmed the theif and the phone was turned off instantly. the sim card was actually some prepay card and so not possible to get info about, also both, phone and sim, were never used again after that. bad luck for me, but hopefully i have learned something everybody can use...

edit: it is obvious wipe via sms will not be of any use when the phone was stolen... also you should warn users about locking feature to be for testing only.

Last edited:

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
it would be great if the phone would ask for a password when the sim is changed... failure to input the right password 3 times would do a wipe of the phone and the SD card.

i for one change my sim from time to time (to a US sim) so i can buy apps from the market.

some people may change sims and accidentally wipe their phone forgetting that the wipe feature has been enabled.

just a suggestion.

been looking for something like this.

hmm, this would be better to have the option to "enter password" to keep data, or to "continue anyway" which silently wipes like suggested in my previous post

edit: remember, better not scare a theif to use the phone...

foszor

May 10, 2010
foszor.com
Ok that is strange, let me ask a few questions to try to figure this out.

1. Are you receiving texts to Google Voice or your carrier? GV doesn't currently let other apps know it received messages.
  2. Are you sure the passphrase was set? You must click "Set" and see a message pop up that it was set.
  3. Have you tried using the simplest passphrase possible (no capital letters and no spaces), just as a test?
  4. What device are you using and OS version?

1. I'm receiving normal SMS text from my wifes iPhone.
2. I enabled admin and "Set" the phrase
3. Yes I tried everything from "lockphone" to "lock my phone"
4. I'm using Nexus One on official Froyo

Let me know how I can help

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Hello, thanks for the info. Someone posted a comment about the SMS on the Market as well. I want to figure it out. Please try with the attached test version and tell me the messages it displays in LogCat. I really appreciate the help.

uday.pichik

Aug 9, 2010
Hi Vespera..

I was installed this application on Android Emulator..But its not working fine..
This is the message that i got in the LogCat

08-10 08:12:49.665: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(9532): Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.vesperaNovus.app.AutowipeFree.MainActivity in loader dalvik.system.PathClassLoader[/data/app/Autowipe Free v0_9_19 - FULLY WIPES.apk]

I dont know why it has given like this.. Let me know where im going wrong???

uday.pichik

Aug 9, 2010
Auto-wipe

Hi Guys,

Any one of you has tested this waveSecure application through emulator??
If not please let me know any of the security application which will work with Emulator..

Thanks in advance...
Uday

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Autowipe is back!

Greetings all,

As most of you probably know, Froyo (2.2) includes new phone wiping abilities. I've been working on an app to take advantage of this new feature and I'm excited to let others see it.

Unfortunately for me, I do not have a Froyo Phone! I am looking for some of you very nice people with N1s or Droids that have 2.2 installed to help me out with testing, as the Emulator can only go so far. Most importantly, I'm interested in seeing if the "Subscriber Id changed" action works when removing/changing SIM cards.

Quick description: Android 2.2 (Froyo)+ includes a new administrator feature. The administrator must be enabled by the user before it can perform its actions. This application focuses on the memory wipe feature of the administrator. If your device gets lost or stolen you can set up this application to automatically wipe the memory in the following conditions: failed passwords to unlock screen, SMS password received, subscriber ID changed (SIM card).

Screenshots and APK attached below.

Thank you very much!

Update 05 March 2011:

* Integrated a Test Mode into the app.
    I apologize for abandoning this thread/app everyone. I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm actively developing this app again.

@scutworker It should reset the counter, have you seen this issue again?
    I've uploaded a new version! See original post.

Update 23 Feb 2011:

* I've added a passcode to the app itself to prevent tampering, you'll find it in Settings.
    * Fixed issue where SMS wipe didn't work sometimes.

TRIAL VERSION doesn't wipe anything, it only locks the screen where it would have wiped.
    NONTRIAL VERSION fully wipes and is the one you will find on android Market.

Thanks goes to Navtej for help testing.
    You can move the apk back to /system/app - depending on your device & rom, you could use adb push/pull or Root Explorer.

Btw, is this app still maintained?