Are HD2's buttons fragile?

Search This thread

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
top tip I find is that because the layers of the HD2 can come apart which can effect the power button and the more problematic digitiser cable, I find that throughout the day, just keep squeezing that corner of the phone, some times you can fell it compress by a fraction of a mil. when I say squeeze I don't mean hard and not ON the button,

Just a thumb and forefinger around the power button several times a day, will keep the HTC tech support away :)

bib*oops

Oct 15, 2009
top tip I find is that because the layers of the HD2 can come apart which can effect the power button and the more problematic digitiser cable, I find that throughout the day, just keep squeezing that corner of the phone, some times you can fell it compress by a fraction of a mil. when I say squeeze I don't mean hard and not ON the button,

Just a thumb and forefinger around the power button several times a day, will keep the HTC tech support away :)

I was reading very carefully your post, it seemed interesting, but now I'm a bit of confused (as a non-english native):
- by "effect" do you mean "affect"?
- by "mil." do you mean "mm" as for millimeter?
Thank you for whatever clarification you could produce:confused:...

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
I was reading very carefully your post, it seemed interesting, but now I'm a bit of confused (as a non-english native):
- by "effect" do you mean "affect"?
- by "mil." do you mean "mm" as for millimeter?
Thank you for whatever clarification you could produce:confused:...

yes thats my unfortunate habit of bastardizing the English Language.

Ironically your correct in your usage

the layers coming apart is indeed "affecting" the power button, the "effect" is that the digitiser cable can fall out

and yes, a fraction of a "mil" is my incorrect slang of the more commonly used MM, which again rather ironically is less letters in the first place...:confused:

you have my apologies :)

bib*oops

Oct 15, 2009
yes thats my unfortunate habit of bastardizing the English Language.

Ironically your correct in your usage

the layers coming apart is indeed "affecting" the power button, the "effect" is that the digitiser cable can fall out

and yes, a fraction of a "mil" is my incorrect slang of the more commonly used MM, which again rather ironically is less letters in the first place...:confused:

you have my apologies :)

Sorry, no need for apologies, but I was really confused...

Sep 21, 2010
Ive had my hd2 since the first day it dropped and ive got to say that the buttons arent frgile at all only problem i have is when i press back it locks the phone every now and then but other than that the buttons are in perfectly working order.

walts

Apr 11, 2006
My power button is definitely broken. I've read various theories about why they break (design flaws, mostly) but that doesn't help.

Does anyone know of a "Quick Fix"?

Has anyone actually replaced the button strip? I've seen some videos, and it's unclear whether the button strip is accessible just by removing the case back, or if the screen has to be removed also. That last part looks scary - heating up the screen with a heat gun to melt the adhesive seems like an easy way to break the screen/digitizer assembly! Once you get it out, how do you put it back?

Walt

dertester123

Oct 11, 2008
My power button is definitely broken. I've read various theories about why they break (design flaws, mostly) but that doesn't help.

Has anyone actually replaced the button strip? I've seen some videos, and it's unclear whether the button strip is accessible just by removing the case back, or if the screen has to be removed also. That last part looks scary - heating up the screen with a heat gun to melt the adhesive seems like an easy way to break the screen/digitizer assembly! Once you get it out, how do you put it back?

Walt

Hey Walts,
i got mine taken apart atm.

You need to remove the LCD display incl. Touchscreen as one part.
The buttons are beween the touchscreen and the middle layer where the screen is glued on to.

But its not too complicate. You can use the disassembly videos(google hd2 disass.).
To remove the screen just need a normal (hair) fan and a razor. and of course new very thin tape. I would recommend to buy the dissassemlby tools and the tape from ebay.
Shoulnt be more than 30€ at all. 10€ the buttons, 10€ the tools and tape depending of your needs.

========

Generally the buttons and flat cables are the hd2's big problems.

The buttons are just two contacts with a bent metal over it, that connects when pushed.
The metal is held by a thin piece of tape.
BULL****!!!!
If some force undo the tape once it wont stick again and the bent metal will fall off.. Happend with my audiobuttons as i slightly put them back together.

Another problem is the quality of the flex cables that connect touchscreen, with lcd and mainboard. These are very hard and breack easily. Another thing is that these are not very accourate in size.

The Touchscreencable is a bit longe than display cable so its under the buttons and gets flexed untill it breaks. Its only a matter of time or luck.

If you rearrange them the connector to the mainboad is to high, so you cant fit in the slot.

=> After trying to prevent the flexing of the Touchscreen cable i broke my display cable. Was able to solder it together again but then the buttons failed on me.

Out of anger i bought a new hd2...:mad:

I think the protective tape (and im not sure if its on all hd2 versions) is some kind of luck. If the guy who assembled your hd2 was good you maby wont have the typical endbutton failure. If you have bad luck like me you had one that was put these few milimeters to close the buttons...

I think i have enogh spare parts then untill i get my next device.
I was looking forward to the Evo 3d but development is very slow there(ICS wise) and i dont want to pay more than 200 for a good used one.

Last edited:
Reactions: walts

walts

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks. I'll have a look on eBay for the supplies. The video looks scary but I'll give it a try.

Walt

dertester123

Oct 11, 2008
Thanks. I'll have a look on eBay for the supplies. The video looks scary but I'll give it a try.

Walt

Yeah but if you take your time its no problem.

If you dont want to save the last penny you could think about buying a used hd2 for 100-120€.
Then sell yours as parts:
-Rigid Flex board 20€, Screen+Touchschreen 50€, Mainboard 15€ and the rest is at least what i think not worth setting it to often on ebay.

Or try to sell yours in one piece for people that know how to repair. Should get you at least 70€ if you make nice insert at ebay.

Thats what i checked the last few days at ebay. I think the time spent is the same but you dont risk to do more damage when repairing it wrong.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who are concerned about damaging their hardware buttons, you can install "zmooth lite" to mimic hardware buttons. Works like a charm, it's one of the first tools I install on any new version of Android I am testing.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA
    Hey use button savour from market

Sent from my SGS2 powered by OxygenICS by Adamg

Walt

Hey Walts,
    i got mine taken apart atm.

You need to remove the LCD display incl. Touchscreen as one part.
    The buttons are beween the touchscreen and the middle layer where the screen is glued on to.

But its not too complicate. You can use the disassembly videos(google hd2 disass.).
    To remove the screen just need a normal (hair) fan and a razor. and of course new very thin tape. I would recommend to buy the dissassemlby tools and the tape from ebay.
    Shoulnt be more than 30€ at all. 10€ the buttons, 10€ the tools and tape depending of your needs.

========

Generally the buttons and flat cables are the hd2's big problems.

The buttons are just two contacts with a bent metal over it, that connects when pushed.
    The metal is held by a thin piece of tape.
    BULL****!!!!
    If some force undo the tape once it wont stick again and the bent metal will fall off.. Happend with my audiobuttons as i slightly put them back together.

Another problem is the quality of the flex cables that connect touchscreen, with lcd and mainboard. These are very hard and breack easily. Another thing is that these are not very accourate in size.

The Touchscreencable is a bit longe than display cable so its under the buttons and gets flexed untill it breaks. Its only a matter of time or luck.

If you rearrange them the connector to the mainboad is to high, so you cant fit in the slot.

=> After trying to prevent the flexing of the Touchscreen cable i broke my display cable. Was able to solder it together again but then the buttons failed on me.

Out of anger i bought a new hd2...:mad:

I think the protective tape (and im not sure if its on all hd2 versions) is some kind of luck. If the guy who assembled your hd2 was good you maby wont have the typical endbutton failure. If you have bad luck like me you had one that was put these few milimeters to close the buttons...

I think i have enogh spare parts then untill i get my next device.
    I was looking forward to the Evo 3d but development is very slow there(ICS wise) and i dont want to pay more than 200 for a good used one.